C&C - Sword Art Online II - "Bullet of Bullets" [5/16]

Lord Dalek

Uncreative Hack
[strike]No essay this week[/strike] EDIT: No episode this week so have an essay!

It occurs to me that I said on Ask.FM I was going to write about Seiji Kishi a couple of weeks ago. Who is Seiji Kishi you may ask? Well...

...he's some guy.

That's it.

Just some guy.

Oh ok, he's some random guy who keeps directing the most random crap possible. Not just some plain jane repetitive random guy like a Mizushima or a Daiichi or an Inari or that one dude who keeps directing that godawful cheesecake at ARMS. No, Seiji Kishi is truly unpredictable. He bounces around from studio to studio (but mostly just Lerche because they like him or something), doing whatever they give him five bucks to do before quietly walking off to the next job. He has no recognizable style, no panache, no reason to be. He is merely a name on a credits list under "Chief Director", the kind of guy SAO-"director" (translation: non-entity) Tomohiko Ito kinda wishes he was but then he had to go frell it up by making Silver Spoon.

I first became aware of Kishi's existence through one of ANN's former resident dingbats, Carl Kimlinger. Remember him? He's the guy who gave Flowers of Evil an A+ (said review is on the box art of the dvd because it was literally the only positive one out there) before being chased away by 4Channers with pitchforks along with fellow dingbat Carlo "(Blue Exorcist) is the kind of show animation companies dream about working on!" Santos (OK... it wasn't entirely like that...but still)*. AAAAAAANYway, Kimlinger, in one of his rare moments of lucidity, unloaded on Kishi in the middle of a review of his then current show Arpeggio of Blue Steel Ars(e) Nova. I was no fan of the first episode of Ars Nova with its silly "Hatsune Miku Boats!" premise, but Kimlinger's bile for the man got me interested in whatever the hell he had done previously...

...and then I saw Danganronpa...

Oh god.

Danganronpa The Animation was a show I strangely got into throughout the entirety of the Summer 2013 season. I hadn't played the game, I didn't know the story, I was just intrigued by the mystery and all. Of course, the repetitive nature of the show (Despair High kids try to figure how to get out of the high school, one gets murdered, they play Phoenix Wright, Naegi makes Togami look like a putz, rinse) should have been a turnoff (if the character designs weren't already) but I still wanted to see where this was going.

...should have quit when I had the chance.

The ending of Danganronpa was so utterly absurd and nonsensical that I couldn't make head or tail of it for days. The only ending that comes close to the level of stupid as this one is that one for Master of Martial Hearts. I am not going to talk about that ending because it twists itself so hard it becomes a pretzel. Its the same case here. Think the ending of Tomorrowland is bad? Try watching Daganronpa!

Well anyway, back to Seiji Kishi, who spent 2014 doing...not much. There was that stupid unnecessary cutdown remake of his old Persona 4 anime (for some reason he's been the defacto Shin Megami Tensei director guy for the past couple years despite bringing nothing to them), that one detective show thing I keep getting confused with that one show with the midget tsundere, and then... YuYuYuu.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh YuYuYuu.

Yuki Yuna wa Yuusha de Aru, aka "Tumblr Magi Madoka Magica" and "The $20 An Episode Show" is a series written by the guy who created Akame ga Kill! and TOTALLY NOT DRAWN by the original illustrator of Sword Art Online.

See... this is Yuki Yuna drawn by "Bunbun"!

Kszj5JSl.jpg

and this is Sword Art drawn by "Abec"!

hz2yY1hl.png

Totally not the same person!!!**

Anyway remember when Madoka had that "ZOMG!DARKPERVERSHUN!" thing going on with that
MAGICAL GIRL ZOMBIE APPOCALYPSE!!!
plot? Well YuYuYuu tried that too. Except that show just made its magical girls physically disabled. OH MY! Of course Tumblr loved it...until the ending, and then they hated it, because Seiji Kishi wasn't going to go full Urobutcher on you was he?

Well anyway, YuYuYuu made a little bit of noise early on in the US before that ending happened and it appears to have done ok in Japan. That said... its domestic video release from FCI Pony Canyon has been the equivalent of a car crash in slow motion (seriously 20 dollars for one episode!) and its dub of five actresses seems to only star one (seriously Bang Zoom! what the hell happened). Naturally Kishi followed it up with...some Shonen Jump shlock.

Assassination Classroom stinks for the most part. The main protagonist is a shemale with blue hair who spends all his time looking straight at us with dead soulless eyes. But really who gives a crap about Nagisa, you're here for "EVIL FACE FROM NICK JR!" aka the Sensei. He's great. He's litterally the only reason to watch the show other than that one gruff CIA guy Sugita plays because Sugita. Otherwise, who gives a crap. Also its made by Kishi's frequent employer Lerche, this explains why the animation is meh.

Well that's your essay for this week and frankly it felt theraputic to get it done. Now if you excuse me, I'm off to facepalm at the HomeTheaterForum's Tomorrowland talkback (seriously...dadaists...)

LAST TIME ON GENERAL HOSPITAL: Kirito did nothing, and then a balloon flew by his room, BECAUSE SYMBOLISM!!!

This week on Everybody Loves Kazuto: Reki Kawahara declares himself to be the next Alfred Hitchcock...before proceeding to ripoff Topaz.

Toonami2014TalkbackImage_zps71c2711d.png
SwordArtOnline2Talkback1_zpsmw9mhsmh.png

OP1: IGNITE by Eir Aoi
ED1: Startear by Luna Haruna

mENVSuTl.png

"Kirito decides that Death Gun and the man in the cape will be appearing in BoB. He uses the remaining time to exchange information with Sinon and find out more about the contestants. Sinon sees how strange he was acting during the qualifier and asks him what happened. She learns that he is a SAO survivor. The main BoB tournament begins and 30 players are dropped in a 10km wide field."

*Of course this now means that there's nobody at ANN to bash Kishi anymore and he's getting praise instead...from Theron "I Like Cross Ange!" Martin.
**You're not fooling anyone abec-san!

Last edited by a moderator:

JTurner954

Paradigm City, USA
Geez. How many more episodes of SWORD Art Online mention "Guns" in the title? This is ridiculous.

Rhaynebow

I don't know who Kaeeeeede is, but he sounds like a better protagonist than THIS guy.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
COME TO THE DARK SIDE, KIRITO. IT IS YOUR DESTINY.

Well, of COURSE he wouldn't use the name "Death Gun." I'd give the game away.

JShaggy

You Serious?!
Last time: I was away last weekend, so I had to absorb everything that happened last week on the fly.

This time: Bullet of Bullets? What's more deadlier than a bullet exactly?

Aren't you two supposed to be enemies? Sharing information should be considered taboo.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
And I thought Ryuko Matoi's outfit left little to the imagination.

You're gonna join his harem whether you want to or not, so you may as well help him.

Two thousand yen on the guy named Kirito!

"Then go play ALO with the fairies!"
Homophobe.

Kirito moe. SAO to viewers: "kiss my ass."

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
If I wanted to learn the rules of the game, I'd look at a wiki.

I think I know Kaeeeeede. She was in a party with Kiiiiiikyo and Kagoooooome.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts