Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    OriginalGagBonke is offline Fan of 2-D animation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The creator driven era is dead for TV animation according to Cartoonbrew

Like This Thread!
    I dont tend to go onto cartoonbrew much but however I got a text message from my older brother who showed me this.
    http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-com...riven-era.html

What do you think? Can this mark the end of TV animation for creativity? I got no comment on this.

CookieS is offline Awesome By Default
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Doesn't this always happen? We get bogged down with commercial success stories and many cartoons start to be based off of toys, films, of TV shows. This hits a boiling point until we discover a show that is truly unique.

I think the concept of the Hub is kind of alarming. It's back to the 1980s when shows were produced to push products. This doesn't mean that the shows themselves have to be terrible.

I think the article is a bit alarmist.

Tobias is offline Who you gonna call?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From what I understand, MLP:FiM is actually pretty good.

The Hub isn't the end of an era, it's just one channel. Now, if Cartoon Network up and cancelled Adventure Time, Generator Rex, Symbionic Titan, and Regular Show only to replace them with shows like 'Diary of Wimpy Kid: TAS', 'Legoland Adventures', 'Halo The Series', and 'Twilight: Vampires Are Pretty', I'd be a little more worried.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Even though I have noticed more TV show/toy based cartoons now then there was 5 or so years ago, I think that it is a bit premature to say that it is the end of an era.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    To be fair, the writer doesn't lay everything at The Hub's feet but rather puts it in the context of a wider narrative, with live action on Cartoon Network being another aspect of it for instance.

What bothers me about the meta argument is that Amid seems to overlook creator-driven cartoons that do exist like the ones Tobias listed, hand-waving this reality away with the the idea that "idealists" and creators venturing to do original things are only going to decline from this point onward. But the troubling idea as presented there is just an idea, assertion masquerading as fact. To believe this I'm asked to embrace not evidence per se (which is impossible to provide), but a supposedly clear vision of where things are obviously going. Supposedly The Hub, the new kid on the block, heralds a fad that will wash over all the cable networks like an unstoppable tsunami. That's quite an ambitious prediction.

I also reject the implication that reviving an old property means that by default, little to no creativity can exist. What about Batman Beyond's toyetic origins and what the creators pulled off within that mandate? What about Young Justice taking a very familiar DC Universe and reimagining it in its very early days? Yes, it takes more effort to come up with something brand new, but I think it's very unfair to assume that working on an old property must mean that the staff is just going to phone it in.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Spaceman is offline I Am Here
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Apparently they know nothing about The Hub's upcoming Dan Vs?

Also, I really dislike how they label Adventure Time as a "hold out" when CN is clearly heading towards the off-beat path with their new comedy originals; they conveniently forgot to mention Regular Show and the upcoming Robotomy.

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This isn't news to me. The first nail driven was the demise of most Saturday morning cartoons by the major networks. Then soon enough the weekday cartoons followed.

KarlOlson is online now Art Imitates Life
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To me, it seems like he's complaining that a few people who have done super-creator controlled stuff are taking some pay-the-bills work, and ignoring the reality that the past year has almost been a rebirth of aggressively creator controlled work after a light doldrum in the middle of the past decade. It's no longer a game where either creator controlled or commercial driven animation exists. The bandwidth just on TV is so large now you can have a toyetic network, a creator-oriented network, an anime network and so on. The HUB doesn't kill CN or Nick, and if anything takes the pressure off them by toy companies to run their toy cartoons. Nick and CN can hone in on being more creator-oriented by not being tempted to run the occasional cash in show.

Besides, having some brilliant animators on those shows is a two-fold benefit to animation. 1. They won't just be crappy toy ads with people like Renzetti and Faust at the helm. They'll be shows for a purpose, but they won't just be 22 minute ads. As it stands, the reaction from our Hub forum has been surprisingly positive so far, and we do have some pretty tricky to please critics. 2. They will foster the next generation of animators, some of whom will get fed up with the creative constraints of the particular genre of animation they're working on, and break out like Timm, Tartokovsky, Antonucci and countless other products of the 1980s did, and this time, rather than having to join a no-budget fledgling network or syndicated block to get heard, they can jump right into a powerhouse with international reach.

Yes, it's be cool if all art was super creator controlled, but as long as you have toy companies, you have toy cartoons. I'd rather them be directed by skilled animators than talentless hacks.

Also, I swear that CB loves to call animation dead. For people who care about it so much, they look for any excuse to hold a funeral.

cognitofalcon is offline G'night evry' body!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieS
    Doesn't this always happen? We get bogged down with commercial success stories and many cartoons start to be based off of toys, films, of TV shows. This hits a boiling point until we discover a show that is truly unique.

I think the concept of the Hub is kind of alarming. It's back to the 1980s when shows were produced to push products. This doesn't mean that the shows themselves have to be terrible.

I think the article is a bit alarmist.
    The point isn't quality of show, but the fact Amid points out that it is pssible that if current trends of studios continue, meaning either "safe shows" or relying on already established franchises, then the creator driven era of TV will die.
    I now use Tumblr regularly.
    http://cognitofalcon.tumblr.com/
    I'm also participating in Let's Plays now (Among other things)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SAFGuys

Not as cynical now a'days =) I am much happier too!

Kiddington is offline tut tut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The thing that get's me about this article is that he fails to really criticize the biggest roadblock for creator driven animation in the business right now; Nickelodeon.

I'd place the blame at their feet, before anyone else. Almost every new show they have slated to premiere in the coming months is based off of an existing franchise, with about 50% of that being from Dreamworks. That kind of stuff, right there, is killing creator driven animation, more so than anything CN or the Hub is doing. Heck, CN actually has a lot of creator driven animation going at the moment (AT, Regular Show, Sym-Bionic Titan). He's just mad about the fact that they insist on showing live-action (and really, he has a right to be; that portion of the network doesn't belong), so his opinion of CN is a bit jaded.

Still though... it's premature and hasty to suggest that creator driven animation is "dead", by any stretch. There are plenty of original ideas in the animation industry that aren't selling toys; he just needs to look harder to find these things.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast