Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

South Park - "City Sushi" - Talkback [6/1]

Like This Thread!

Episode 215: "City Sushi"

A new episode airs tonight at 10 PM Eastern. Here is the synopsis:

Butters is diagnosed with multiple personality disorder.

Tobias is offline Who you gonna call?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Edit: Wow... so it's the DOCTOR who's insane.

And no sign of Cartman and the others thus far.
    Last edited by Tobias; 06-01-2011 at 10:12 PM.

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Chaos?

Man, this Chinese vs. Japanese thing is cracking me up big time, mostly due to how spot on it actually is.

TnAdct1 is offline !!!!!!!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not a good start so far, as the Butter's plot is mostly another "adults are idiots" plot (at least until we see a real sufferer of multiple personalities disorder).
    Joe Klemm
    Toon Addict for Life and "gated community" member since August, 2002.

"ph34r t3h cute ones" -Megatokyo

bluenowait is offline Hootenanny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    14 years ago, how would you have reacted if I told you I'd rather watch a show called "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" than South Park?
    t(ň_ót) Double Deuce!

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Poor, poor Butters.

So innocent, yet such a magnet for insanity.

Conroy reviews Family Guy
    (Last episode)

Bloody Marquis is offline Quite smashing, eh?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wait... what?!
    Yes, there are amazing things up there in the universe, but they’ve got some very stiff competition down here on Earth!

Animation Revelation: We have punch and pie. / Reviews / Features
    And ImpishIdea For You Writers!

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Retconning a classic character?

Daxdiv is online now Hex Girl Yo! Space Invaders Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So let me get this straight, the Asian guy that worked at City Wok is actually a white guy that has Multiple Personality Disorder? This is weird, even for South Park standards.

Scirel is offline WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That was absolutely insane. and of course they have to reference psycho at the end. XD I couldn`t belive when they revealed who he really was though.
    I am the squid of the vapor surrounding your dreams, sorrow, nightmares, and bootie pants. So watch out about that.

- Raocow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxdiv View Post
    So let me get this straight, the Asian guy that worked at City Wok is actually a white guy that has Multiple Personality Disorder? This is contrived, even for South Park standards.
    Fixed.
    t(ň_ót) Double Deuce!

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ah finally we have the first true "classic" episode of the season. One where it feels pretty much everything works, where I can enjoy the show from beginning to end, and one that dosen't repeat the same thing endlessly, or bring twists that don't really belong to the show. I don't know what the ending was specifically parodying admittingly (I think it was some sort of horror movie but I don't know what. I guess Pyscho but I only know that since someone said it first) but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the show as a whole.

First off I was curious how they would handle the whole "multiple personality" Butters plot since thinking about it does make sense. I mean we know Butters created Chaos at his disgust of the world and wanting to make it suffer, and Butters has shown to dress up and pretend from time to time. So I'm not surprised they went with the later: that really his MPD is just his parents and Dr. Janis being stupid/overreacting and thinking he actually has specfiic different personalities. Butters may be naieve and weird but he normally isn't very crazy. I do kind of wish they showed more of Butters various personas though like Gollum persona from "A Fellowing Of The Lord Of The Rings To The Two Towers" or his actual tortured side from "You Got F'd In The A" but glad they at least mentioned the main ones, and stuck with Inspector Butters, a gag I always did like in "Butters Very Own Episode". And Butters had some great bits to his parents grounding him from starting a race war, Butters just playing and his father thinking he had gone crazy, Butters reaction to the Dr. him taping himself, Butters being tricked into robbing a jewerly store, Inspector Butters finding out the truth about Janis and being surprised at him being let go at the end. And you know I actually did like Mr. Janis as a "new" character. Someone who was actually crazy with multiple personalities and though had a few one joke ones bounced between some acutal serious personalities was interesting. Until of course we got to the twist of his character with him actually being... Mr. Lu Kim?

Actually Lu Kim from his first appearence in "Jared Has Aides" was someone who I thought would be better as one joke but wound up actually having some amusing plots, espiecally in "Child Abudction Isn't Funny" So I was glad after years of him just being in the background (I think his lsat real role was in "Wing" as even a couple weeks back in "T.M.I" he didn't offer much to the story) he finally had another starring plot and a good rivarly with Mr. Jankouchi. I'm also glad instead of brawling Mr. Kim was just trying to outdo him, first by making fun of him at the assembly and then by trying to make him kill himself, and Takouchi actually giving into the old stereotype. And yeah I thought they'd try connecting the two plots at the end but I didn't think Mr. Kim and Janis were the same guy. And it's actually a continuity switch that dosen't go against something already established: I mean yeah Mr. Kim always acted stereotypically chinese but that could just be him severly being into character. Besides Mr. Kim was only featured or important in... what 5 episodes right? So it's not like he couldn't of just been someone else any other time we saw him.

So yeah very entertaining episode and glad to see it focus on just a few characters and not have to veer up and even need the four main boys. Just Butters and Mr. Kim. Hopefully next week will be just as good so this season at least has a good end after a more medicore one kind of joke beginning.
    Last edited by Neo Ultra Mike; 06-01-2011 at 11:06 PM.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

Inkan1969 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

multiple personality disorders

Quote Originally Posted by bluenowait View Post
    14 years ago, how would you have reacted if I told you I'd rather watch a show called "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" than South Park?
    Well, BOTH series have had characters go way off the deep end due to multiple personality disorder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkan1969 View Post
    Well, BOTH series have had characters go way off the deep end due to multiple personality disorder.
    Touché.
    t(ň_ót) Double Deuce!

ABrown is offline Father of twins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's amazing how simple this episode was. And yet it's my favorite episode of the season thus far. I found myself cracking up every few minutes.

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's like they had no idea how to wrap up both storylines.

Luna is offline Daydreamer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bizarre,yet somehow amusing...

This one was alright....

I did think it was funny how Butters didn't really have MPD,(he was just being a normal kid using his imagination while playing),but his parents and therapist kept insisting he does...It was a good twist that the therapist was the one with MPD (and one of his personalities insists that MPD isn't a real thing,and he's just been scamming the town for years)....It was really bizarre that the therapist also ended up being the owner of City Wok,Mr. Kim (and the town decided to keep him that way)...

The subplot of Mr. Kim trying to get rid of the Japanese restaurant (and its owner) had its moments...I loved the scene where they can't understand each others accents,and whenever they were throwing out old Chinese/Japanese stereotypes as insults...
    "Yeah,well,I've got a dream too.But it's about singing and dancing and making people happy.That's the kind of dream that gets better the more people you share it with.And well,I've found a whole bunch of friends who have the same dream.And it kind of makes us like a family." -Kermit the Frog (The Muppet Movie)

Radical is online now The Face of Evilness & Sadism!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome/classic/bizarre/hilarious episode,

The highlights:
    Nice to see Tuong Lu Kim which he gets a major role, sweet.
    Tuong Lu Kim/Mr. Takouchi's rivalries, hahahahaha, especially on how they can't understand each others' accents.
    The Chinese vs. Japanese plot is pretty funny.
    Butters doesn't have a Multiple Personality Disorder which he's using his imaginations.
    Stephen/Linda thinking Butters has Multiple Personality Disorder.
    The "adults are idiots" formula in Butters' plots do get dull at times.
    Poor Butters, always a target for insanity problems.
    Dr. Janus being the real sufferer of Multiple Personality Disorder much like Sensui from Yu Yu Hakusho, awesome.
    Dr. Janus peeing on Butters sleeping, hahahahaha.
    The Tuong Lu Kim/Mr. Takouchi rivalry in the assembly, hahahahaha.
    Dr. Janus scamming the town for years, he's a great psycho villain.
    Dr. Janus making poor Butters rob a bank, he's one crazy wackjob!!!!!
    Tuong Lu Kim turning out to be Dr. Janus totally shocked/surprised me, an Asian guy turning out to be a white guy with the Multiple Personality Disorder is interesting/bizarre.
    Butters rocked on saving the day to have Dr. Janus/Tuong Lu Kim arrested.
    Poor Mr. Takouchi's sad suicidal death, R.I.P. Mr. Takouchi, he'll be missed which he was great/funny.
    The Psycho reference ending with Dr. Janus/Tuong Lu Kim.

It's nice that this episode didn't focus Stan/Kyle/Eric/Kenny, but Butters/Tuong Lu Kim getting the major focus.
    I'll be wishing for a future episode for Butters' annoying crappy parents Stephen/Linda to get a brutal beating soon which they're worse than Sabo's horrible noble parents.
    Last edited by Radical; 06-04-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Vzky is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is this episode South Park's "The Principal and the Pauper"?

Lonestarr is offline Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Call me crazy, but I think the revelation about Dr. Janus redeemed the beyond tired (as someone put it) 'Adults are Idiots' contrivances of the first half.

Nice Psycho reference at the end. I LOL'd at the music.
    I feel that a big problem with today's society is that we don't listen to our fellow man -- especially when I'm talking.
    "Never be afraid to borrow from those wiser than yourself." - Mr. Jimmy (voice of David Arquette) on "Pelswick"
    "What do I care what some yahoo like Lonestarr posts on the internet?" - President Skroob (voice of Mel Brooks) on "Spaceballs: the Series"
    Links in a chain: DeviantArt | Fanfiction.net | Mr. Cellophane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast