“Home Movies” Series Rewatch Talkback

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*The following was submitted on the now defunct unofficial TZ temp boards, Mar 12, 2023 - Aug 27, 2023*

I’ll start small, with a page volume of seasons 1 & 2. There’s more. I stopped with 35 submissions...

Quick-ish introduction:

January 1st, 2023... I decided to make a weekly review column for a longtime favorite show.

This lasted the full month of January, and it stopped when Toonzone broke down.

I wrote something for the first five episodes. If I have to, I’ll rewrite the missing episodes by the end of the year.

So on that note, I’ll try to continue where I left off.

*Week Six Delay*

A star is reborn!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

[Director’s Cut] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: Jealousy is the order of the day when Brendon faces a creative rival, and Coach McGuirk feels threatened by a likable assistant coach.

As mentioned before, this was my introduction to the series. Right on September 2nd, 2001.

This type of stuff has changed the trajectory of my life and the things I enjoy to such an extent, it’s forever odd how it just started with me “checking to see what Cartoon Network was doing.”

My first ever introduction to Coach McGuirk.

Beginning scenes like that made me look forward to seeing that soccer field on late nights for the following years.

The tone, look and voices of the show would be what I found myself immediately mesmerized with, before the show really started getting funny. That’s basically what all the launch titles were like for me at the time. Minus the action.

Most notably in this episode, the Franz Kafka Rock Opera by Dwayne. That instrumental has been permanently stuck in the back of my head ever since. It’s on par with the Duncan Hills Coffee jingle and all the other Dethklok songs I’ve absorbed. Damn good music.

I would’ve never guess this was the first episode with an actual script. It does make sense though. Even if it was still mostly improvised in spite of said script.

A lot of subtle changes were made. The Squigglevision’s toned down slightly until it’s ultimately replaced all together. Backgrounds have become somewhat more defined, the ones that weren’t reused.

A bit of the background theme music received a proper tune-up.

Even when Janine Ditullio becomes the new Paula, they immediately update the character design as a way of acknowledging the different approach. They didn’t do much with her on this particular episode otherwise. Slow steps.

Franz Kafka would’ve originally been Tron The Musical. Lots of preparation done as opposed to some of the spitballing they were doing before.

A few weeks to produce and edit each episode with a crew as small as theirs sounds like a nightmare. And yes, I know about South Park’s 6 days-to-air method. This was also quite challenging for its time.

The Louis + Louis film Brendon wanted to make was perfect solely for the improvised scene of Benjamin screaming his head off. I’ve laughed at that for solid minutes. “STOP IT, MOOMIE!” I know that’s not the actual quote, but that’s what it sounds like. And then Jason leaves the basement to cry like a baby.

I also like how when they first start shooting Louis, Jason audibly morphs into a completely different/foreign H. Jon Benjamin character. It’s like either Benjamin forgot he was still Jason in this scene, or he offered a brand new comedic spin for the greater good of the bit.

As for the actual story: Brendon becomes unlikable right as he let Dwayne and his band go. But the whole episode calls for it.

It helps that you can’t see or hear what Dwayne is feeling for most part, and he just disappears until there’s a solution.

Larry Murphy’s role as Drew wasn’t much of anything at all, and that was the point. McGuirk’s reaction to being out shadowed was what sold any of it. And even then, the best part was at the end when Coach spray painted the school.

I do appreciate how they made the plot much like the actual pilot, where Brendon and McGuirk are shown to be similar with how they handle things.

Good episode.

Feel like there’s only a few scenes that make it more notable, but it’s still a decent watch after all these years.

The only thing hilariously dated was that stereotypical hip hop cut of Louis.

*Week Seven Delay*

“First of all, life sucks. Alright? Period. Done deal. Ya got it? There’s your lesson. Go enjoy it.”

[It Was Supposed to Be Funny] :brendon: :coach: :melissa:

Synopsis: Melissa is furious with Brendon after he takes artistic liberties with a documentary about her grandfather’s life.

This episode premiered on the same night I was first exposed to Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

I don’t think about this episode as much in comparison. I mean to be fair, I watched ATHF premiere with my grandmother. Quite a revelation for both of us, if not myself.

Even though Aqua Teen greatly out-shadowed this one, you could tell shortly into launch that Adult Swim was really starting to brew.

The unfortunate thing being this was a couple days before 9/11.

Melissa’s gramps first appears on screen and immediately starts talking about Kennedy being shot, like any babbling old Uncle June. Only took two days for those types of conversations to fester into something ugly.

I don’t know, this episode’s quite repetitive when next to Director’s Cut. It shows you yet another instance of Brendon being a bit of a punk.

Only thing is, the act of putting the geezer in a dress, and the “I’m a little tea pot” delivery gets a laugh from me each time. It’s especially funny how even Erik hysterically laughs at it once everyone’s out the room.

I didn’t care much for Brendon setting it right with Melissa, it was dimwitted of him to pull that from the start.

At the same time, it was pretty cool McGuirk and Erik both started helping Brendon film in this episode. And in exchange, Brendon used his camera to help Coach with a dating problem. Well, it probably didn’t help, but it’s the thought that counts.

McGuirk & Erik’s dating videos at the end were both hilarious.

It’s an iffy episode with a fair share of high points. The scenes at the beginning where Brendon & Paula + Melissa & Erik get dinner were always very nice.

I really should go to the store and pick up a bag of I Told You So’s.

There is that niche fan favorite gag at the Alien restaurant where some guy actually gets abducted. Was always interesting how animators got to write their own jokes in.

*Week Eight Delay*

[Method of Acting] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon’s acting skills foil his audition for a local play, so he uses his cinematic skills to secure a part. Meanwhile, Paula begins teaching a creative writing class with an eye on at least one student body.

“I don’t think of it as power. Y’know, it’s more of a size issue. I’m bigger than them, I do what I want.”

This episode was never one of my favorites. I never had the strongest opinion on it compared to some of the earlier episodes, or even the one I’ll be talking about next week.

This time around? My feelings are sort of the same, except I do have a newfound appreciation.

I’ve found that no matter the circumstance, Home Movies can have clever parallels.

It doesn’t always have to be a Brendon + Coach formula for that to be apparent.

Brendon takes on acting class in this episode. It’s something you know he desperately wants on his belt. His intrusiveness and his ego annoys the teacher and all other adults in the room. So much so, Brendon gets kicked out of class and actually tries getting hired on the CASTING AGENCY so he can pay his mom back for the class admission.

Paula on the other hand is not following her dreams. She takes on teaching a writing class that clearly isn’t her skill set, and this doesn’t bother her. She only gets real lost when the make-out guy starts, well... making out with her after class. ‘Cause that’s just his thing, apparently.

The scene at the dinner table where Brendon & Paula are both too flustered to even talk to each other was a good way to show a mutual clash in their stories.

It’s great when it’s acknowledged that Brendon is smart for his age. But he is still just a kid. And for a time where he needs to be reminded of such, most are just oblivious.

Brendon knows who Scorsese is, yet he also gets headshots and flu shots mixed up.

I shouldn’t get too ahead of myself on that. More and more grownups belittle Brendon as the series goes on, with the joke often being that he can see right thru them. It’s just funny in this case when he’s his own worst enemy.

Coach McGuirk brought conflicting humor. He has such a rough time maintaining genuine order on his soccer field, it’s hard to believe the children would help sign all those forms for free, or even help at all.

The kids should’ve been smart enough to know that the coach wouldn’t let any of them use the hovercraft.

Honestly, the funniest thing with Paula’s story was the student reading out a newspaper in the voice of a reporter. It’s classic that he would be the one to win the hovercraft and drive off right in front of McGuirk.

That’s about it. Far from the best, but it does have some legs to stand on.

*Week Nine Delay*

[Life Through a Fisheye Lens] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon believes a fisheye lens will save his stiffly written horror film, but his efforts to get one are frustrated by family cash-flow problems.

“Uh, Coach, isn’t a tie like the same thing as kissing your sister?”

“...Yeah.”

This was an episode I liked when I was younger.

I think it all still holds up incredibly well.

Simpsons constantly had episodes where they talked about things they couldn’t afford, and how family always comes before money squabbles.

Home Movies gives you a more realistic slice of life. I don’t find the ice cream scene as entertaining as I did in 2001 or 2002, but it happens. Your mother or whoever is unprepared, and life is unforgiving that way.

The fisheye lens itself has made this episode so memorable for me, and you only really see it in action for one scene.

The show of the week reminds you that Brendon Small still has a good chip on his shoulder.

While he is motivated by the pricey funhouse lens, Brendon does want to help his mom. He looks for jobs out of desperation, which goes horribly... but he’s trying.

This was always one of the best moments with Katz on the show. I’m thankful Erik could have that back and forth without it being confrontational. Looked pretty bad when Brendon shredded everything in the office. The tone with them didn’t take any drastic shift, and I’m thankful for that.

Had this been season three or four, Erik would’ve screamed a heap load of nasty stuff at Brendon. Which wouldn’t be too bad, but you don’t always need that in comedy.

Coach McGuirk’s still great in this. A step-up from what he had going on last week. It’s funny the first real victory he had on this show was when the soccer teams tied.

Coach Ralph being an imaginary figure makes you wonder if McGuirk even went to school for architecture. Unfortunately, that’s probably true. It’s a shortcoming of him being reduced to elementary soccer. I don’t know. Brendon was right to predict the fake mentor.

*Week Ten Delay*

[School Nurse] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon launches a series of efforts to convince the school nurse that he is ill and should be sent home.

Don’t let that Shout Factory description fool you. This episode is so much more than that.

This is one of those half hours that flip flops between making me laugh my ass off and making me extremely uncomfortable. I love it.

In the old [as] days, I thought the height of the episode was Jason ferociously biting McGuirk’s leg. Needless to say, this was the first of the batch that’s provided me a whole different set of tastebuds.

As the title suggests, Nurse Kirkman’s introduced.

I find myself rooting for the nurse more as I’ve aged. Her appearance almost tells you right away she’s going to be mean, but that’s hardly the case at all. It’s actually shocking how sweet she is with Jason. And boy, does she have patience.

With great humor, Coach obviously remains to be that top fictional figure I hold in high regard.

However, I’d argue there’s something this episode heavily enforces compared to the rest I’ve already talked about; McGuirk’s truly the most pitiful man there is.

John plays his cards with yet another woman. One he doesn’t even know at all. He just wanted a piece of the new faculty lady.

This poor gal sat at a bar with her barely touched soda, just so this guy could go on a drunken stupor involving repressed urges of his mother. He also blabbed on about teaching soccer with no qualification.

The editing shots during that rant are something to behold.

A lot of comedies miss the mark on what makes a good drunk performance. They think if you just slur a little and simply “act funny” that you got in in the bag.

The outcome of McGuirk’s date really shows the ugly truth in contrast to all that, which only heightens the laughter. Even his nose is red and grossly unflattering. Kudos to the school nurse for getting him home safely lol.

The realization I’ve had upon watching again was the lack of Lynch in season one. Feels like he eventually took Erik’s spot in supporting character importance. Maybe that’s a discrepancy though. We’ll see.

Lynch weaseling his way into conflict with McGuirk was wonderful. A different tune from when they initially met.

You have that scene in the teacher’s lounge where Kirkman’s laughing with Ron about the disaster date. Then when Coach eventually walks in the room... that delivery of Lynch’s hearty “hi there!” Just the right kind of laugh I needed.

I feel like if there’s any episode from this order that’s more close to what later seasons offer, it’d be this one without a shadow of a doubt. Almost all the characters collash. Except for Melissa. Melissa kind of just goes away.

And I gotta appreciate the fact McGuirk never resorted to insulting the nurse. No matter how humiliating the rejection was for him.

Around this time, I’d see a lot of “that *****” humor from Sealab 2021, which I also found to be funny on its own. But it’s nice for Coach to be made into a maniac without having to be downright cruel.

Lastly, how Brendon’s sidelined for this whole plot is wonderful. Keeps getting called a faker even when he’s been hit with Squigglevision mustard gas.

Lynch bluntly putting “Brendon doesn’t look good” was yet another winning quip.

Miscellaneous:

- You’ll see an episode from the third season that revisits the love triangle of McGuirk, Lynch & Kirkman. It’s the better episode.

- For the first five minutes of the DVD commentary, H. Jon Benjamin pretends to be Melissa Bardin Galsky. The kicker is him doing a prolonged Louis Armstrong impression in place of her voice, while pretending she’s masturbating in the studio.

*Week Eleven Delay*

DON’T PUT MARBLES IN YOUR NOSE

PUT THEM IN THERE

DO NOT PUT THEM IN THERE

[Mortgages & Marbles] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: Josie’s trip to the hospital inspires the subject of Brendon’s extra-credit educational film about the hazards of putting marbles in your nose.

Now this is another early episode like the Fisheye Lens that’s held a warm place.

The infamous song by Dwayne, plus an untimely reunion and comedy routine out of searching condos. Two key factors in what’s helped me remember this episode fondly.

And maybe my memory has crapped out in other ways, but I watched this again with the unfiltered distinction this was Josie’s one major role in the entire series.

I had such a good time with the other seasons, I never noticed that prop character fading away. And she was the main kid’s baby sister! Still an adorable scamp.

There’s a lot here that I find endearing.

Much of the previous scenarios with Brendon range from jealousy, pettiness, ego, and so on. This time around, his motives are purely wholesome. He wants to be a good older brother and film a puppet show to educate the babies.

Lynch was more than supportive when Brendon first approached him with the film idea. The 1-1 scenes show they can be a terrific duo when necessary.

You can tell they took a backseat from Brendon and McGuirk interacting just so they could have fun with different pairings.

Coach has a great thing going on with Erik, and it’s again one of the most memorable things this episode has to offer. It shows how well Benjamin & Katz have worked together since the days of Professional Therapist.

To any other real estate agent, John McGuirk would be a nightmare. Erik had every reason to be annoyed, but it’s obvious he had a wonderful time with his new pal and couldn’t hide it.

And to his credit, we sort of forget the scene where John’s calmly and earnestly advising Erik that he should look inside the properties before showing them off to clients.

Hell, even Lynch continued socializing/attempting to help Coach in the teacher’s lounge. Maybe just to laugh at him, as he’s done before. But he even tried offering tips on legal advantages with his land lady.

When it comes to the repetitive conversation of x aging well, this one’s simply timeless.

Gotta love how silly the ending panned out as well.

Brendon’s shot at stopping marbles-to-noses sensationalized everyone including Lynch & Paula to give it a try.

And because McGuirk wasn’t in the loop, he has to ask why Lynch’s walking around with marbles.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Commentary notes!

- Finding it heartwarming that in one point in life, H. Jon Benjamin had all the Home Movies songs on his iPod.

-That scene where Coach is chowing down on tai food? Chef Wong's Golden Hippo Pupu was inspired by Home Movies editor/animator, Damon Wong.

*Brendon Small describing the process of changing the melody to the Home Movies theme*

^ Benjamin: That’s why you went to Berklee School.

*Week Twelve Delay*

[Law and Boarder] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: Faulted for a bike-riding accident, Brendon is ordered by the court to write an essay about breaking the law. The film he makes instead - a smear piece on the drivers who hit him - does not impress the judge.

There’s unfortunately not much I can do to flatter this one.

McGuirk’s “retarded” line, and the clip of the kids hitting each other with toy clubs. Those were the two things I could remember off the top of my head about the episode in question.

I totally forgot about the special intro. You might be tired of me citing the one program that’s part of Home Movies’ show bible and history(promise it stops about here), but the grayish shaded backgrounds throughout the sequence were all too familiar.

Then of course, I remembered Stephanie instantly.

Usually I’m unforgiving with a few of the minor characters. Stephanie is one I should hate. I consider her a tad below the neutral line.

Things with Steph really only kick off later in the series when McGuirk is brought into the mix. She’s generally just quirky n’ bubbly for quirky n’ bubbly sake.

The drunk laughing on the couch reminded me of every annoying roommate I’ve ever had. Too infuriating to find funny if you’ve ever wanted to fracture someone’s skull at three in the morning.

I did find the phone call with Richard amusing when Stephanie was arguing over a different couch she didn’t pay for.

I’ve been relatively fair and favorable throughout the first season. I’ve mentioned bits that ONLY could have worked in Squigglevision. I’ve even talked about episodes setting the blueprint for more of the rambunctiousness later on.

This episode maybe would’ve worked better in season two. Maybe!

My problem is that it’s wanting to jump into more situational and confrontational dialogue when it has little to no bite.

Much of the usual banter just sucked. That extensive bit at the beginning with Jason & Melissa arguing about what’s funny; I can’t quite place what went wrong there.

McGuirk has the best stuff in this episode, only it breezes on by. It was pretty funny when the judge got pissed and made a grown adult write an essay.

The ending scene with Sammy would 100% be more memorable in any of the other seasons.

I found Dwayne’s jingle to be tiring this time around. It was a good way to reuse assets and allow Brendon to quickly riff. Nothing more.

I can give them credit that this was another creative instance of incorporating the movie element into Brendon’s every day life. Leading it to the court of law.

The premise is just.... eh.

*Week Thirteen Delay*

[Brendon’s Choice] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: After Brendon, Jason and Melissa win first prize in a local film festival, Channel 1 does a story on them; and an offhand remark by the reporter stirs Brendon’s curiosity about his father.

One of the most alluring and significant finales to any starter season.

Anytime I look back on this episode, that phone call is always immediately what comes to mind. They had that brewing inside me for months.

The sad thing is, the episode should be reflected on more genuinely than just being “the one where Brendon’s dad calls.”

McGuirk’s anger management story is one that starts off strong right away.

You see the first woman besides Coach’s land lady and his mother who really has him on a leash. And it’s the school principal.

It sounds incredibly easy to spin out a plot like this where McGuirk has to control his ranting. And while there certainly is a payoff, I think it was a mutual restraint on the crew’s effort to not go for the easy joke.

Any other cartoon or general sitcom would’ve thrown out all existing traits so the character could focus on that one thing.

And you know what? I’m sure H. Jon Benjamin screaming his lungs out for the whole episode would’ve been just as nice. But that’s not entirely who John McGuirk is.

Come to think of it: one thing I do remember from my 00’s viewing was being disappointed that Coach let some weasel (David Cross!) sock him in a store.

It’s funny though because in that sequence, his anger didn’t get him punched. There was the brush to the face, but it was mostly the crappy social skills that did it in. Which is exactly what I mean! McGuirk is a bumbling weirdo!

What almost indefinitely hit everything on home was John’s silent revenge on the soccer field heckler. It’s the last gag of the season and it’s as effective as it is indelible.

. . . .

The main storyline changes things up quite a bit.

After being faced with disaster dates, bullies, cotton candy and UPN cancellations; Brendon Small receives victory at last!

The kids win a film festival award, and the recognition for their talent ends up being too much for them to handle.

Of all the times Brendon fell flat on his face, it’s hilarious for him to clam up the very second someone challenges or even questions his creative input. And to be challenged by an airhead like Dixie Smithley.

They went about this whole story rather delicate.

In my (temporarily?) defunct episode five posting, I mentioned how sweet it was when Paula had the talk about Brendon’s father.

Only now, you’re actually facing conflict from this figure who hardly existed up until this point.

As stone dead obvious as the home movie title “Fat Her” appears, this was the first time Brendon’s unintentionally spilling his grief out onto his work. And once the reporter finally places that puzzle piece in his mind, it messes him up even more.

It wasn’t just the cliff-hangey ending that stuck with me. It was actually sad when the phone rang the first time.

Brendon freezes up at the thought of talking to his dad, even on the phone. He’s on the ground holding himself while Melissa & Jason are the ones trying to call.

The episode doesn’t end with a clear-cut good feeling.

Botched interview and unused footage aside, the kids still achieved something very nice.

But the underlying problem can only be resolved once Brendon talks to his dad. And we don’t see that yet.

So..... that was season one of Home Movies!

I’ve been loving the rewatch. As I walked back thru the freshman feel, I noticed a bunch of new things, and only disliked a couple or so episodes.

Very excited to revisit season two!

Technical notes:

- After awhile of easing up on the Squigglevision, a glimpse of advancements really start to seep thru the cracks in the finale. You see a handful of good front-facing Brendons which will very soon become the norm.

- Jason having 11 roles in this week’s movie almost mirrors directly how they love using Benjamin.

*Week Fourteen Delay*

We got Shannon!
Right in the cannon!

[Politics] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon learns the meaning of political baggage when Shannon endorses his candidacy for school president.

One of my all-time favorites of the series just on principle.

While all my comments on the wholesomeness and care of the first season still stand, rewatching this episode brought me back to the pure heart of the show.

What you see here is what to expect for the rest of the run.

It’s not just the switch to flash animation. The way these characters talk and interact also receives a full-on energetic makeover.

You might have some hiccups here and there, but every change made to the formula ultimately was for the better.

The second season begins with Shannon abruptly smashing a car window to steal Lynch’s precious Sinatra collection. That’s right. They got Emo Philips back, and he’s even more eccentric than the last time you saw him.

When you have a slogan such as “think big, vote Small,” having a thug run your campaign might be for the best.

Melissa has her fears and doubts automatically, and you can’t fully blame her. It’s only the petty blackmail by Lynch that really puts the scare into Brendon about his new ally.

McGuirk was at his finest with this premiere.

He takes on stand-up comedy, practicing his heckler defenses onto Brendon & Melissa.

In ‘02, I couldn’t fully appreciate the idea of John wanting to be his own character on the stage. Coining himself as the Soccer Coach Comic.

Comedy and stand-up was still very new to me at the time, and so I didn’t know the ins and outs to realize Coach was earnestly trying to pull an Andrew Dice Clay.

I do however still feel the second-hand fictional embarrassment of McGuirk bombing so hard on stage that no one even wants to heckle him.

“Brendon, what are you doing in my house?”

“You’re on the beach.”

“What are you doing on my beach?”

^ Couldn’t tell you how many times that exchange killed me.

Feels like for a sitcom resolution, this had the freshest take of “none of it mattered.” Brendon gave up his own presidency to a clumsy dork, and even tries using McGuirk’s stand-up techniques once the classmates become too much.

Coach finally gets heckled on stage during the credits, and by his own mother.

This episode is so fun on all corners that it makes you almost forget about where they left you hanging with Brendon’s dad.

And believe me, after 2016 or so there’s a different discussion on that anyway. I enjoyed the character itself way back when. He’s on my #1 favorite episode still. Plus, I used to be a big Louis fan. A lot of people were!

I’m not sure how sour it’ll be to hear him again, but it’s not like he stayed on the show for very long. Don’t even think he made it to the last season.

He will appear soon enough, but this was the perfect detour.

I even got a good laugh from Paula finally tossing out the plants.

Side notes:

- Addleburg makes his first appearance!

- While it’s very unfortunate this particular episode didn’t have any DVD commentary, the animatic spoke a thousand words. Season One DVDs had animatics for episodes, but you never got to see BTS of Squigglevision in action. But here, I got to see much of the Flash puppeteering.

- Jason drew a train. And a picture of his mom.

*Week Fifteen Delay*

[Identifying a Body] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon accompanies Coach McGuirk on a trip to identify his dead uncle’s body, only to squander the $50 he raised for a charity walkathon.

The ending punchline here was always my main takeaway, but this was a consistently funny episode.

The walkathon stuff is gold for two reasons.

For one, Lynch gets more screen time as this incredibly goofy, doofy man.

And two, Brendon absolutely sucks at helping the homeless.

This episode was also the first real outlandish thing Brendon & Coach have done together as a duo.

They’re both joyriding all thru day and night as they’re on their way to examine some dead uncle Pedro, while the other kids are left abandoned on the soccer field.

Which reminds me, Walter & Perry make their own little comeback after season one! They’ll slowly but surely grow more of a fanbase.

Anywho, McGuirk somehow swindles Brendon out of all his donation money on the trip. They take some time to sink in the fact they saw a dead body, then they spend the last dollar on the movies to see a bunch of space sheep fight in Farmageddon.

Something that never gets old again has to be the outcome of this story.

McGuirk’s inheritance amounts to a gnarly old frozen sausage.

“This thing could vote. This thing could go to war... and die for its country.”

I actually burst out laughing when John demanded the lawyer for money out of his own pocket.

Had a happy ending, I suppose. Coach ended up loving the sausage. Even Addleburg came around to wanting some.

I should punch myself in the face for not mentioning Lindenson’s first appearance yet. So damn funny. That’s ANOTHER show stealer!

I always enjoyed Mr. Lindenson as a pure comical character, and never put much thought into the fact he was this newfound antagonist for Paula. Very fascinating to find out Arnold was always part of the blueprint for the second season, as far as some of the “arcs” Brendon wanted to build on.

*Week Sixteen Delay*

Not a bad joke, but a BAD TIME for jokes!

[Hiatus] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon, Melissa and Jason endure a self-imposed hiatus from filmmaking. Meanwhile, Coach McGuirk and Mr. Lynch travel south of the border together.

A lot going on here.

This was the first episode of the series where they really dialed up on their plotting and had all their characters going thru different things all at once.

Brendon mentioned in the DVD commentary how he never cared for traditional television storytelling, and that honestly tracks. Even as calm as much of the first season appeared, they always wanted to just keep the wheel spinning and not have any dead air.

The first big thing I remembered right away (besides the Jazz scatting sequence) was Cynthia. That part of the episode is real painful when you know exactly what was the outcome. Never thought about how Jen Kirkman came back for that role.

I went into this episode thinking Brendon’s first interaction with Cynthia would be much less pleasant upon rewatching.

As it turns out, yes and no. He starts off rude and corny, and she plays with him a bit. But the reveal was her being engaged with what he was saying all along.

Feels like they approached her under the same light as Kirkman’s last character.

Coach & Lynch do indeed go to Mexico together.

That bit in particular I think was a buildup to a spectacular ending on behalf of Ron Lynch. All of his BS back at the school would lead to him becoming too drunk for even Coach to handle.

Also liked Brendon’s reasoning for not wanting to go to Cancun with McGuirk instead, because his mother might get upset.

Brendon, you helped him identify a dead body last week.

Then there’s Paula.

Paula’s firing had more outstanding stuff from Lindenson yet again.

Although I will say, the daydrinking from both of them actually does appear rather dark this time around.

Showrunners apparently put a lot of emphasis on Paula becoming more of an alcoholic. The haul to the recycling bin was almost too much for Brendon to carry.

And the fact Brendon’s exposed to it as well. I was too busy laughing at Lindenson’s perception of Brendon to realize that whole incident would later disturb him within the show.

A lot of great material is ham-fisted into this episode. Everything from Dwayne’s crazy legs, to Jason’s sabbatical with Walter & Perry. And again...the jazz.

Extra notes:

- Addleburg cutting Paula off was a reference to an actual phone call between Brendon Small and Jonathan Katz.

- Standards would allow Paula and Lindenson to appear drunk, but showing alcohol going into their mouths was something they didn’t like.

- Brendon wants to change his name to Nathan! Or the Cliff.

*Week Seventeen Delay*

[Business & Pleasure] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: Jason’s ineptitude on the set of a new film begins to wear down Brendon, which McGuirk mistakes for drug abuse.

Luckily for me, this episode was more mellow and less complex than the one we had last week.

McGuirk’s intervention on Brendon still to this day is what steals the entirety of the episode. But that’s not to say there wasn’t any other stuff going on to appreciate.

I’ve had the impression since rewatching that Erik would noticeably appear less and less, which checks out.

Melissa’s dad only has this solo appearance for the second season, and I think it’s a sweet call how it’s used to help Paula as a friend.

They make fun light of the job search, and also show how much of a nightmare it can truly be to look for employment.

I don’t look at it as dumbing down Paula, because a lot of hardworking independent people have to go thru hell like that all the time in between work. Myself included. Only when you’re wealthy and privileged do things go your way.

She might’ve went into places under-qualified, but I’ve felt the flustering a million times before with positions any busybody could do, that the employers still somehow made a hard time.

Jason started off real strong at the beginning of the episode, and then it generally just became squabbles with both Jason and Melissa that Brendon had to deal with. It’s fun!

There are episodes in my opinion that fail to utilize that trio well enough. But when you have all three of them bicker, it makes for good viewing.

*Week Eighteen Delay*

Can “Star Wars” do THIS?

[The Party] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon is asked to make a film for Fenton Muley’s birthday party, but it turns out to be a bust when Fenton acts like a jerk.

Fenton’s first appearance! The birthday party!

Definitely not the best you’ll see of Fenton, but I also couldn’t think of a more fitting introduction for such an unruly character.

You can tell Sam Seder’s performance isn’t fully there yet compared to his other pop-ups, but I’m just amazed by how funny this still remains to be.

Whether he’s eerily infatuated with Brendon, or wants to kill him, Fenton’s always putting him to the test. And that’s what I love about ‘em.

Fenton has to be Brendon’s greatest foe by default.

Best part being how Brendon has no real reason to even be around him at all.

Every single soul in attendance at that party is simply miserable, minus Walter & Perry.

It was hilarious when McGuirk shrugged off the invitation at the soccer field and still ended up going because he loves feeling wanted.

They introduce the series gag of Jason being addicted to candy/sugar. It lives up to a greater potential in another episode, but here it’s a nice change of pace for Jason & Melissa’s dynamic.

Ms. Mulley, there’s a lot more to say about her later. Believe me. But bless her heart.

You can go your entire life without having any kids, and still spot a terrible parent a mile away.

Trudy’s one of those types I would like to blame, but just can’t. She’s a loving mother who tries her damndest to make her son happy, and he’s just the absolute worst.

We already know civilization is screwed just looking at the generations below us.

But the remarkable thing in contrast to Trudy... most mothers these days refuse to try at all. Some in public behave no different than their offspring. Void of any decency.

Gotta love how of all stories, this is the one where McGuirk steps in like an actual adult. In that moment, he was a true hero for telling Fenton to shut his mouth.

Doesn’t matter if it was only to impress the mom or not. That was a victory Coach rightfully earned, and all thanks to him showing up with booze.

Side note: Junior Addleburg made his first appearance too! The Ken character was just so funny, it basically demanded a miniature version to be made.

Last edited:

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Nineteen Delay*

Why can’t Starboy be Captain of Outer space?

[Impressions] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: Brendon treats a cute choreographer to a meal at Jason’s parents’ country club. Paula wrestles with a typing test, while McGuirk combs through his high school yearbook trolling for dates.

I thought revisiting this episode would make me a tad uncomfortable on the Brendon/Cynthia side, but quite the contrary!

This to me is both the most entertaining, and educational episode all about lying and being deceitful. Something that goes for three of our crucial characters here.

McGuirk’s talk about women was timeless. Was especially funny when Brendon was smart enough to point out how predatory his advice actually was.

McGuirk calls up former high school classmates. Ranging from busy housewives, to other women he just outright lies to in hopes of a date.

Carl did a similar thing with his phonebook on an episode of Aqua Teen. Though, Carl only did it just to later masturbate in shame. Plus, Carl was calling them at Two in the morning, to add insult to injury.

I think for what it’s worth, Coach got the short end of the stick in terms of what he might’ve actually deserved. And to his credit again, he had the guts to admit to the lady upfront that he lied about every single thing without wanting to be hurtful.

Still wasted some woman’s time, and he went home without a date. But at least John was let off easy. He learned in that moment he was owed nothing.

And something that rings true once again just like the Nurse episode; McGuirk’s got his own set of boundaries. He never insults or attacks women no matter how often he’s humiliated.

Paula’s struggling with even more immense stress just by learning to type. I forgot that Jim guy who smooth talks her about the typing is one of the best minor characters there is.

Paula cheats on her exam, but whoopdy freaking doo. She’s a mother, and they’re giving her Code Red interrogation over a typing test.

From what I could gather with Brendon, the whole root of why Cynthia hates him now was that he lied to get into his friend’s country club.

Which by the way, it’s nothing short of awesome that Jason Penopolis would even have connections to that club.

Cynthia’s angry under the guise of a kid like Brendon lying all the time. She might’ve been way out of his league from the start, but she apparently forgets often that she’s a kid too. She was wrong as well for assuming it was alright to have the band over with them.

Brendon’s “lie” was just sharing (with permission!) a close friend’s code into a place that he got in trouble for. Otherwise, it’s clear as day what his intentions were. Even when it was a lousy date.

Maybe things wouldn’t have escalated if Jason breezed this by somebody first, as this was already a favor.

Brendon and Paula calling each other as they were both in trouble was probably the best thing to come from that ordeal. It showed again they’re not so different at all and that they have each other’s backs.

Good episode. Have nothing else to add other than Dwayne was real funny in this as well.

*Week Twenty Delay*

YOU SUCK AS A LITTLE BROTHER!

[Dad] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon finally gets to meet his father, and his girlfriend’s obnoxious personality inspires Brendon to lampoon her in a film. McGuirk becomes a “buddy” to a “special” child.

At last, we’ve made it to our introduction of Andrew Small.

For how long they left us hanging with who this character was, Brendon wasn’t too pleased to meet him.

It was delightful during the car ride when McGuirk cut them off. Someone who indefinitely understands Brendon better.

Andrew’s soon-to-be wife Linda is just as bitchy as I remember. She exists solely to be an unpleasant, bratty wrench. This time around, I got a kick out of Brendon’s film mocking her, and how Andrew was clever enough to put those pieces together.

In the context of the zoo trips when the two actually could have fun, it’s too bad Andrew in the end is a dead-beat. But even when he’s got his job in his ear, and his ruling wife is as high maintenance as having another child; I do like how something with Andrew and Brendon still manages to click. Though briefly, it’s still nice.

Their relationship and bond from the start is one of those “if only” scenarios. Loving chemistry IS there. It just doesn’t last. And I’m sure this is something that resonates with those who do have estranged parents.

Funniest thing from that pairing in this episode would probably be Andrew’s phony freakout in public over Brendon’s minor toe injury.

I very much enjoy the scenes where Andrew and Paula are interacting as well. They’re both equally soft and gawky with each other, but you can easily tell just how their marriage fell apart in the first place. Hilarious dialogue.

McGuirk’s little plot starts off exceptionally dark for Home Movies, but it soon enough turns into something where Coach just wants to be a big brother at all costs. He’s just a big lovable guy.

And even though Eddie’s depiction wasn’t the most flattering, he’s only broadly put as a sick kid for the sake of this show.

Other comedies around this time would’ve rushed to make this all about being mentally handicapped, where as the main concern here was Eddie’s breathing.

They resolve this in a future episode where a gag publication says Eddie made a healthy recovery.

Not at all a bad episode to revist. Might not be the most fun compared to everything else we’ve seen from this season, but still an important mark on the series overall.

McGuirk screaming at that trouble maker Melissa never ceases to amaze me.

*Week Twenty One Delay*

“STUPID?!” You just used the word “STUPID” in a sentence directed at me!

[Therapy] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: In an attempt to resolve the family discord, Brendon, his dad and his dad’s girlfriend see a therapist— who puts the blame on Brendon.

Would this be my numero uno favorite Home Movies episode? (That just so happens to feature Louis CK?)

If you think the answer is yes, you’re wrong. But you’re also very close. In fact, extremely warm!

This one’s had a lasting effect on me ever since I saw it premiere.

Brendon’s explosion is still very much impossible to forget. Something meant to be funny, and it’s raw frustration. One of the few scenes in the entire show I’d love to get down and gritty on how it might’ve been improvised.

The show by this point has already thrown around the idea that Brendon’s problems are constantly pouring into his work. And only in this episode do they start addressing it all out loud.

Unfortunately, the one who unravels this happens to be a therapist.

A doc who believes any sentence involving “should” is a negative one. A shrink who wants you to look at his book.

And for how often he’s apparently hurt by the negative comments, this therapist has no problem telling Brendon he’s the roadblock of his own family. Simply out of undeniable insecurities.

The Shrinking President-King movie is something that’s already analyzed within the episode, but the specific roles Jason and Melissa play are most fun. This episode, the two are more like puzzle pieces in Brendon’s mind than they are just being his friends and shooting a dumb movie.

Perfect, liberating usage of Coach McGuirk.

Instead of trying to find John’s angle for the episode, he just has gingivitis. And he rants for a bit with Brendon on the soccer field.

The rant’s amazing too, as even Coach in this episode is able to pick away at Brendon and his ego.

This all ends with a satisfying F.U. to both Linda and the quack.

Andrew being immaturely proud of his son in that moment; that felt pretty good for the audience.

The only thing that would’ve made the episode better would be if the marriage was off. But of course, that doesn’t happen. That would require Andrew to take a U-turn and be more involved in Brendon’s life.

It’s just tragic neither of them realize yet that this marriage will eventually be the nail in the coffin for their father/son relationship.

The closest Linda ever came to being likable was when she told Brendon they misunderstand each other. That charm’s lost once you realize she’s still threatened by the kid.

Andrew adds to the dysfunction as well which is hilarious. He just doesn’t care about what Linda’s got going on. Doesn’t wanna hear it. He’s definitely guilty of patronizing her, that part you can’t entirely blame him for.

All three are awful at language therapy.

Bonus/Commentary notes:

- Patrick Borelli (the therapist) was another one of Brendon Small’s Boston stand-up buddies.

- Surprising the production crew didn’t care for this episode, but I get it can be a downer. There’s still some good visual gags, such as in the restaurant.

- Can’t get enough of Jason’s English laugh.

*Week Twenty Two Delay*

In the den?

[Class Trip] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon takes advantage of Paula’s distraction on a class trip to film scenes for his new spy thriller, while McGuirk takes a job at a coffee shop under Brendon’s name.

Very good episode to begin taking a brief detour from the season’s underlying plots.

Also a good episode to have the characters exploring different locations.

Everything emits and leads to total chaos.

Brendon, Jason & Melissa want to get into film hijinks during their school trip, as expected.

Paula being the chaperone of this trip means she has to be overwhelmed by Mr. Lynch’s list and all the brats on board.

Fenton’s deliveries improve ever so greatly in this episode. He’s just a little prick the entire time. Fenton gets Addleburg to throw Lynch outta the hotel, which makes for a good laugh. Even Paula was amused by that one.

Speaking of, Addleburg receives plenty of goofy dialogue.

Coach McGuirk on the side is dealing with another one of those grand white lies that gets him in trouble. You can’t help but love him for pretending to be Brendon just so he can get a job at a coffee place. To pay off the money owed from smashing the school coffee machine over the principal’s car...

His interactions with Little Mama show Stephanie wasn’t the first woman to get all bubbly with Coach.

Anyway, that’s all I can provide on this one. If you haven’t, you gotta just watch it for yourself. This is the type of stuff that makes the later seasons so funny.

*Week Twenty Three Delay*

[History] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: Brendon’s adventures with history succeed brilliantly in his new film, but they fail miserably in real life.

Ah yes, the Starboy episode. LEGENDARY.

In short, this is where the home movie part of the show reaches its fullest potential.

From here on out, they can go as insane with these movie skits as they want.

The main situation in the episode is Brendon failing Lynch’s class like you saw in season one. Only this was handled far more comedically. Lynch has a good time here.

This episode also just shows Brendon as his 100% true self. Just all around nutty.

They even throw you a bone and give you a couple good scenes with McGuirk as Brendon’s “tutor.”

The end goal here is that you’re captivated by Starboy & The Captain of Outer Space. Not to mention Small’s triumphant performance as George Washington.

The movie’s out of this world and zany, with a hint of the good ol’ rock opera in there. They even use the Metalocalypse theme riff years before that was a thing. I also just love when Brendon & Jason break into birthday music.

And you don’t have just Dwayne as a movie extra to look forward to either. This one’s got Walter, Perry, and even Junior Addleburg on set.

Episode basically ends with Paula calling her son an idiot.

*Week Twenty Four Delay*

DVD PLAYER

[Writer’s Block] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: Frustrated and scriptless at a writer’s fair, Brendon and the gang decide to improvise a performance — and the result is a hit. Paula’s attempts to write a romance novel prove less fertile. Meanwhile, Coach McGuirk’s insomnia pays off when he participates in a sleep study for cash.

Last week, you saw Brendon and his classmates put together one hell of a vivid, yet historically inaccurate movie.

This week, both Brendon and his mother are doing what they can to level up their writing.

If you’re a Paula fan, this is the episode for you. It pushes this interesting switcheroo where Paula gets to show her own wine induced fantasy, while Brendon’s just creatively bankrupt.

Brendon says he wrote about 500 movies at the beginning of this episode. Could just be a childlike exaggeration, but that number also isn’t that hard to believe coming from him and how he works.

I think while those two stories are all well and good, it’s no mystery that Coach McGuirk wins this week in the humor department.

His insomniac rant is simply timeless, don’t think he gets as harsh with Melissa anymore after this.

He suffered from a week lost of sleep, and as he’s drifting in and out of consciousness, he suggests Brendon take the name ‘Vito Corleone’ and simply change it to Marty as a way of helping his writer’s block.

Nurse Kirkman returns! She referred John to that treatment place to become a lab rat.

That scene near the end with Coach in the living room: I recall years back, that scene was shown from an online leak of the remastering Adult Swim was doing at the time. A friend showed me what was going on back then and said an employee got fired. I’ll have to dig for that.

Neat episode. Can’t say it’s one of the weaker ones just going by McGuirk alone, but this still could’ve used some tuning up on Brendon’s side. I guess once you get to the fair is when that section starts to entertain.

*Week Twenty Five Delay*

[Pizza Club] :coach: :coach: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon and his dad form their own pizza club, inspiring a rejected McGuirk to start a rival pizza club with Walter and Perry.

We have now made it to the penultimate episode of season two, and my NUMBER ONE FAVORITE episode of the entire series.

Coach McGuirk does a lot in this series to win you over, but there’s no other episode that highlights his jealousy and pettiness to this extreme.

That’s the art of Pizza Club.

Brendon and his father have this dumb scheduled two member club meeting, which is actually just father + son bonding by sharing pizza together. McGuirk hates this, and there’s two sides to it.

Coach being challenged as a father figure was one thing that was brewing for awhile. He’s spent all this time shootin’ the breeze with Brendon, someone else swoops in, and he doesn’t like it.

It doesn’t even matter that Andrew is Brendon’s actual dad. When ever John doesn’t like someone, he makes it known. No one is exempt from this.

Another thing is, again, the sheer pettiness on principle.

With McGuirk, all you have to do is label “club” onto something, attend at your leisure, and that alone will set him off.

No matter how lame something actually is, Coach refuses to be left out. And he goes to great lengths with this festering jealousy.

First, he bumps into the two at the pizza parlor. Which you just know he followed them there.

He bribes Brendon with Lynch’s stolen bike, then orders him off the bike once the dad’s brought up in conversation.

He forms his own Pizza Club next to Brendon’s with Walter and Perry, and even those two leave the pathetic SOB on the spot.

Eventually there’s a huge tantrum on the soccer field, which in the end grants McGuirk access to the Pizza Club at last.

John was let into a make believe childhood club out of pity, and he takes this as a badge of honor. He cries tears of joy, maybe just plain tears. The big baby even wrote his own speech as a means to this wonderful occasion.

Andrew was nice in this. There’s no real mention of Linda, Andrew’s spending quality time with his kid, and Mr. Small has even grown invested with what his son has going on. Louis also does a JFK impression which I forgot about.

The weakest link by far would be ending off the Cynthia arc. The good thing is the overall episode is just too damn great for Cynthia to weigh it down. She’s never seen again, and her part of the episode was only done so there would be no loose ends.

They went along with this show not quite knowing when they’d get renewed before eventually ending at season four, but you can say Dwayne’s prep for Battle of The Bands could be a little foreshadowing.

The movie with Maloo Loo was endearing at the beginning, and so was Paula desperately wanting to be involved with the filming.

This episode and the last were both more pleasant ways of looking at unemployed Paula without it 100% hinging on her being flustered, or having a drinking problem. And it reminds you that she too has an arc left unfinished.

All ‘n all, the best of the best.

Pizza Club meeting adjourned.

*Week Twenty Six Delay*

I call it “The Crab!”

[The Wedding] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: Chaos erupts at Brendon’s dad’s wedding.

We’ve reached the end of the second season. Sad already, but I couldn’t think of a stronger way to close this specific chapter.

The groove of The Wedding from start-to-finish is simply admirable. Even if the S1 finale had more of an impact on me in comparison by just a couple scenes, this was the better episode.

Everything comes together, but they succeed by going out of their way to make it unconventional, taking it in directions you wouldn’t expect.

Brendon’s rash deformity was symbolic of nothing other than the stress and oddness of the season finally getting to him.

You could say Brendon ruined the wedding, but that wouldn’t be true. I mean, they had to do all this while a casket was around. This marriage was a spotted disaster a mile away. The couple laughed frantically about getting divorce papers before anything even started.

You only see one other show with Andrew after this and that’s it. There was nothing in this episode that implied he would dip away from his son yet again, but I guess that’s the realistic outcome. It obviously had more to do with Louis CK’s own availability.

Plenty of humorous material to go around, but Lindenson stole this show, and it wasn’t even close. Nearly every single thing he says is funny, and having him pair with Brendon for a bit of the episode was perfect.

Lindenson does the good thing and gives Paula her job back. You’d think she’d be happier and more content with another job, but this made her day enough to kiss the goofy man. A happy ending after what she went through.

I get it was already a running gag with Lindenson mistaking Brendon for a girl, but I always liked the idea from this episode that only we the audience can hear Brendon’s adult voice.

Now where this story really has legs.... Stephanie’s legs. Herself and McGuirk...

A lot of people like this as the ultimate push up or shut up scenario for John. Definitely something I haven’t forgotten.

The thing is, part of me wishes Coach would’ve actually made a move. Steph was too good for him, but this proves McGuirk is capable of having some relationship. He only opts out because he’s his own worst enemy.

What I love most about it would actually be their first interaction. It’s great because McGuirk’s not lying or bragging about himself like he would typically. He was actually very modest for most part, that along with Brendon’s invitation helped him out.

Very good finale that keeps you on your toes.

Crazy that I’m already halfway thru the year round goal I started with Toonzone!

It’s been one hell of a unresolved mess, but I’m glad I stuck to it.

S3 next Sunday!

Extra notes:

- Walter & Perry reach legendary status after this appearance.

- Landstander has its own interactive game! On season two, disc one of the DVD set. Very good artwork present!

*Week Twenty Seven Delay*

You can tell the fairies I said “go to hell.”

WHERE THEY BELONG!

[Shore Leave] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: Erik is worried that Melissa doesn’t have enough friends who are girls, so he enrolls her in The Fairy Princesses. Meanwhile, Brendon gets invited to spend the weekend with Fenton, whom he didn’t even know he was friends with.

Whooo! The third season!

This premiere is a highly notable fan favorite for most. And yeah, the entire story with Fenton & Brendon alone would rank it fairly high.

Not only that, the ending to this episode forever stands to be the most over-the-top thing they’ve ever done.

Me personally? I think it’s the first that’s both admirably rambunctious, yet oddly uncanny at the same time.

There was always something about Erik’s dialogue in this episode that felt unnatural. Seemed like they had Katz play off a situational, self-concerned parent role instead of the liberating oddball you’d typically know Mr. Robbins to be.

Erik never had any issues with Melissa being herself up until this point. Even his one-on-one scene with Paula was more off putting than funny. Which is a shame because I usually love when Katz is around.

The entire plot with Melissa is a tricky one. Some things like the climax and McGuirk’s ridiculing at the mall worked out masterfully.

The scenes between Melissa and the Fairy Princess leader however could’ve used a little rework.

The later seasons of Home Movies had Benjamin voice a variety of one-off characters, and not every single one could stick the landing. This, I feel would be an example of a not so great performance.

Not that I’m even 100% dismissive of this segment either. The jokes are there, I just wasn’t impressed with that particular delivery.

Brendon’s little cartoon in this episode for the Fairy Princesses was a clear prototype for Facebones. I love how that bit went all in on the VHS aesthetic, even with the show looking as it is.

What you have to keep in mind throughout this entire thing is that Melissa & Brendon’s discomfort are meant to both align in harmony.

For the better half of the episode, there isn’t really much to dissect other than Fenton slowly, but surely becoming Brendon’s worst nightmare.

I think with Fenton, it’s the ultimate example of building on one recurring character for the better. He didn’t have this much of a creepy obsession with Bren-Bren up until this episode, but it works.

If Fenton just stayed as the mean bratty kid no one liked (remember his family portrait in “The Party” was just him with a black eye), it wouldn’t be as fun. This episode was successful in showing you just how demented he could truly be.

The shocker with Fenton’s mom was precisely that. Pure shock. 2002 me wishes I could watch that again for the first time. The Wedding from before had nudity, but it didn’t have Fenton ferociously attacking Brendon immediately after witnessing said nudity.

If a tad flawed, “Shore Leave” was a prime, experimental episode.

More examples of the characters being forced out of their comfort zones will soon follow!

Extra notes:

- Jason’s a master of the walkie talkie.

- You ABSOLUTELY should check out domain name Fentonsnakedmom dot com.

*Week Twenty Eight Delay*

[Breaking Up Is Hard to Do] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: Paula burns down her kitchen, and McGuirk volunteers to get paid to fix it. Paula’s parents are getting a divorce. Jason fakes a divorce in order to fit in.

Despite always having some really good scenes within, I wasn’t sure where I would land rewatching this episode.

McGuirk attempting and failing the repair job was undoubtedly the best thing. He’s been in funnier situations than what’s shown here, but really it’s just nice to see Coach being a dad.

Throughout his time at the Small residence, you can see just how well McGuirk fits in with the family. One of my favorite little scenes being when Grandpa Sam mistakes John for Brendon.

If there was anything 302 truly did, it reaffirmed my near twenty year old, unoriginal fan theory about what happens after the final episode.

The whole bit where Jason’s pretending to be in a broken home. Another all-timer. The “Scabface” poster in the background was the icing on the cake.

Grandpa Sam was about as likable as I remember. Although much less involved than I remember him being as well.

It’s honestly a shame they could never work out Grandmother Doris in this series, especially since Paula’s such a good character.

I guess it helps no one misses Doris that much, but you still wish there could’ve been improvements with that in particular. It’s all good for Jen Kirkman regardless.

You’ll like this episode or find it okay for one reason or another. At worst, it’s average overall, which is kind of the boat I’m on here.

*Week Twenty Nine Delay*

Lynch’s mustache looks stupid!

What a dumb idiot to have a mustache like that!

WHY DON’T YOU GO WAX YOUR ASS?!

[Bad Influences] :coach: :brendon:

Synopsis: Brendon and Jason are putting on weight at an alarming rate. So in order to break the “fat enabling” cycle they decide never to see each other again. Coach McGuirk tries out his own theory called the “fat father syndrome.”

Something to be mentioned, in the automatic. McGuirk’s poem.

The “NEW YORK TIMES” rant.

That entire scene alone is in the top three greatest of Home Movies. It’s the one scene I’ve gone back to hundreds of times. Watching this in full again really took things back for me.

John’s eager to throw a double date only as a way of getting back with the nurse in his own eyes. He chases Lynch down at his car. They negotiate and both lump in a different girl to come along. Neither of which really care to remember that woman’s name.

You might recall my Week Ten Delay with Nurse Kirkman’s debut back in March, where I mentioned this being the better episode. That still very much rings true. And with Coach’s story, there’s two sides to that coin.

This one had McGuirk exploding in the most astonishing fashion ever. It’s arguably more embarrassing than him being too drunk on a date.

It’s Coach being too drunk on a date... and feeling under-classed.

There were no shots or below the belt punches at John whatsoever. He blurted out unintelligible remarks and kept inserting his infatuation with the FFS because he thought repeating it enough times would sway the nurse off her feet.

Lynch and the girls start gawking about current events, and that made McGuirk sooooooo angry.

Couldn’t think of a better way to make a complete ass of yourself. There was only one private confrontation in the restroom, and Coach just sat at the table festering for the rest of the night until he blind-sighted everyone by jumping on stage.

Also, season one was operating under the assumption that Lynch is above McGuirk and holds more integrity. Which you see here... not by a wide margin.

It didn’t take much to set off Ronald and make him equally childish so that both were left with each other.

It’s fun having them both be screwups, and even more rewarding once you see them enjoying each other’s company amidst the wreckage.

Brendon & Jason getting fat was among one of the weirdest Home Movies aired on Adult Swim. You know, like when McGuirk grows boobs.

Brendon & Jason’s side of the episode is memorable just for how weird it was, but I guess it’s another funny way of showing how the kids handle their little childhood addictions. The enabling nature that can come with gaining weight was something Brendon & Loren both related to heavily in their commentary. Also, just lots of fat talk.

Without Jason’s rage, Melissa’s sadness over not being able to film with her friends would be sure to bring some puppy dog eyes.

You get a mix of one of their most morbid stories, along with one of the funniest things they’ve ever produced on the side. One you cannot miss.

Side notes:

- This was the one where you see Brendon dressed as James Dean/Fry from Futurama at the beginning of the episode.

- McGuirk sitting sternly at the bar with his jacket brings me some AS Dot Com flashbacks.

*Week Thirty Delay*

OH NO!

EVERYONE’S-A MAKIN FUN-A ME-AHH!

[Improving Your Life Through Improv] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: Mr. Lynch sends all the kids plus Coach McGuirk to sensitivity training on a Saturday, where they learn the value of really bad improv games. Paula secretly enters one of Brendon’s home movies in a video contest.

Highest note of the episode by far has always been Brendon making fun of Junior Addleburg. I consider this to be one of Brendon’s finer moments on the show.

It’s still hilarious seeing McGuirk laugh at the impressions like the big dumb kid that he is.

Underrated bits within the episode...

1.) Brendon additionally mocking Mr. Lynch.

2.) McGuirk’s impression of Dustin Hoffman.

3.) McGuirk’s impression of his father watching “It’s a Wonderful Life” and asking for beer.

There was something from the commentary of the previous episode which I failed to mention. Brendon & Loren commented on how the direction of the movie sketches really started to improve around this time. How they were able to get a better feel of each one without dragging it all the way to the beginning of the episode.

^ This episode’s a fine example of such. I enjoyed the creativeness behind Brendon having to go over all the rework that needs to be done for his movies in his room.

I’ve also neglected to speak much on the musical side of this show, though really I think that immense type of work speaks for itself. I will say “No Skin Off My Ass” was a pretty good send off for a one-time character I didn’t particularly care for.

In retrospect, episode felt kinda light. It’s good just how the Addleburgs get the last laugh, and that big tag-and-freeze section was highly satisfying as well. I guess the outcome at the junction itself felt more contained than usual. Even with the mildly obscene song.

But yeah. Good episode with a nice, enclosed setting.

On a side note, this has to be my favorite of Walter & Perry. Right next to the storm.

*Week Thirty One Delay*

[Four’s Company] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: Melissa has a new boyfriend, and Brendon and Jason are jealous when her love life starts to interfere with their busy production schedule. Brendon and Melissa are also suffering from creative differences on their approach to a school project about the life and times of Susan B. Anthony.

What’s the “B” in Susan B. Anthony stand for? Bitchin’.

The horror film at the beginning always stood out, and the entire scene at the super market to me is still the sole winner of the episode.

The rest? Eh. I could sorta do without.

I mean main story wise, it gives Melissa a little relationship to cause friction, and it gives us the silly Octavio character to go on for awhile. That’s about it. To me, there’s just not much interest or laughter to be had, and it doesn’t really speak to Melissa as a character.

McGuirk’s dinner plans carried the episode.

I would say the super market scene was phenomenal only for Benjamin & Katz pairing yet again thru McGuirk & Erik, but that would be a huge disservice toward the rest of it all.

The super market scene was like a hilarious character study of what happens when all our guys run into each other in the middle of shopping.

It evolves into nobody wanting to do anything with McGuirk, when the reality is Paula also doesn’t wanna waste too much time with the likes of Erik or Lynch either. Those two were already enough on her skin, and by the time she sees John roll up... “oh god.”

Really was great. That stupid joke about exchanging information when bumping grocery carts. You see Erik’s dry sense of humor rub off on Melissa. Paula tried putting on a happy face when hearing that nonsense, and Brendon could hardly maintain the same courtesy.

Seeing McGuirk chase Erik around the store was already hysterical enough. Then you top it off with how desperate Coach is for the remainder of the episode JUST to have dinner with Paula and the guys.

His planning’s a hundred times more funny than whatever he had previously ironed out for the nurse, because this time it’s not even anything sexual. It’s pure desperation to be part of the group.

Erik’s the only one who purely entertains and encourages John when the time is right. That’s what makes Melissa’s dad such a sap.

Erik’s vulnerable enough to where McGuirk can call him from outside his house wearing binoculars. And instead of it being uncomfortable or real confrontational, Erik starts laughing at Coach’s ridicule of Lynch during the group call. A minute after being stalked and hounded over a simple dinner reservation.

There’s really not much to offer on what the kids have going on, but this still ends up being a real humorous episode to explore dynamics.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
This should catch me up to the very last submission I wrote off the boards. And then I can post my first normal one back on Sunday.

Last one conveniently stopped with the Brendon & Loren viewer mail.

*Week Thirty Two Delay*

[Renaissance] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: Brendon, Jason and Melissa are performing the musical King Arthur Meets Robin Hood at a medieval fair organized by Mr. Lynch. A sci-fi convention is going on next door to the fair, and there’s a lot of tension between the two groups.

You know? I was kinda shocked actually to find out people weren’t digging this episode.

One of my top favorites from the third season, and a very memorable episode overall.

They chose a fun little theme and stuck with it. BEAUTIFUL musical sequences. They gave logical reasoning as to why everyone’s there (Brendon’s play/McGuirk’s drunken financial risks) and also provided you with the most feasible medieval fantasy for this awkward comedy world.

I don’t think it’s that much alien from what the show would typically do.

Maybe the scenes with Fenton could’ve been trimmed down just a tad.

I think more time could have been spent showing more of Brendon’s general annoyance as King Arthur at this fair besides just the medieval vs sci-fi feud.

They were really going somewhere when Lynch made a spectacle of Brendon’s king role for the rest of the fair participants, but that only lasted for a few shy little scenes.

In the commentary, Brendon even mentions his research of Renaissance fairs and how people get super into it. Basically never breaking character. I don’t know if I could do that. No role playing unless I’m in bed.

I still very much enjoy McGuirk & Lynch’s bickering, and also Lynch just being a total pompous ass while he’s playing Wizard Merlin for the day.

Had Coach not have been in the worst possible shape for the entirety of the episode (again, it’s only fitting he’d be a complete trainwreck in this show of all shows they’ve done), I’m certain he could’ve caused even more problems for Lynch.

People apparently didn’t like Coach’s puking and stinking up the porta potty. My issue’s that there are more eventful ways to put a spin on McGuirk’s defiance and refusal to play along.

Still loved McGuirk’s part of the Renaissance, but I also acknowledge they could’ve achieved much more. This episode was a “special” after all.

I think Renaissance is still lots of fun! I guess maybe people felt the formula of Home Movies was getting a bit more predictable by this point? But that formula is part of what makes the show funny, so...

I also forgot upon rewatching how they wanted to write a clever twist for who would be the traitor at the convention. So kudos to that!

Extra notes:

- Vomiting not allowed by censors. You only see the remnants from McGuirk’s mouth.

- Patton Oswalt killing it as the Super Nerd.

*Week Thirty Three Delay*

[My Cheatin’ Heart] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon is forced to take up golf after his father pressured him into playing a father-son round with an important client, only to discover that he’s terrible. Brendon also has trouble convincing Jason and Melissa to make their latest film backwards.

Didn’t I say awhile ago that Andrew Small would appear one last time and he’d be gone forever? Yeah, this is the one. Bye-bye, Louis.

Handful of bits from this week’s show which I adore. Coach getting hit by that lady on the range, and Melissa responding enthusiastically to Coach’s shouting, to name a few.

Bagger McGuirk’s got a legacy to maintain. Wasting everyone’s time so he could have an ‘effect’ with the sun behind him.

I saw a comment suggesting Coach helped Brendon ace the game out of sheer hatred for Andrew, and I didn’t get that vibe at all.

This episode wasn’t met with the same depth as “Pizza Club,” but what I got here was McGuirk helping Brendon be a cheater because that’s just the unspoken nature of their friendship.

There’s that moment at the end of this too where Coach is telling Andrew what a good kid Brendon is.

Mr. Small couldn’t help John out on his latest charge, but regardless there’s a decent (and humorous) exchange between the two. The fans know McGuirk to be the boy’s real parental figure at the end of the day. Having those specific characters end on good terms was never a given, so I was satisfied.

It’s cool also how it wasn’t just Coach helping Brendon cheat. You got Jason & Melissa aiding from behind the bushes. It’s endearing they all had his back while he just sucked ass at golf. But, so did Andrew! Cheating runs in the family!

I guess that’s what made this not so bad for a belated story arc conclusion, if you could even call it that. It would be bitchy if Brendon disappointed his pops on their last episode together. But because his dad’s already a screw-up himself, it’s okay!

From a comedy standpoint, those few scenes with Louis and Benjamin together. I enjoyed revisiting and noticing how dialed back Andrew would always be once he was forced to engage with McGuirk.

Andrew was awkward with just about everyone on the show, but any time he was faced with Coach’s presence; I could just see this flash cartoon character internally roll up into a ball of uneasiness. Was always something to watch.

Small described the second season webbing perfectly. How Brendon was coming to terms with these new jerks (dad and stepmom) that had just hijacked his show. And I think what made Andrew work so well in that regard... was how he knew he was out of place.

Like that scene near the end of “Pizza Club,” Andrew’s just screaming like a dope for Brendon & McGuirk to break up their fight. He had this very unique approach to being the straight guy and trying to ring everyone together, while also being anything but confident in that approach. That’s at least what I felt I valued most with that character in the end.

Lastly, I think Brendon’s “make it all backwards” angle for this episode was cute. They would’ve gone the extra mile had they actually made Brendon’s golf story somehow backwards instead of the intro and outro wraparound, but the movie sketch did a well enough job.

Thanks for Plump Fiction and Reservoir Cats.

*Week Thirty Four Delay*

FREAKY!
OUTTIE!

[Guitarmageddon] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: The Kids ignore the fact that they have no musical experience or talent and decide to start a band. At the same time, Duane enters a guitar contest where he will face his archrival, Jimmy Monet.

Hall of famer episode, although I remember it being a lot more magical in my mid 2000s head.

Maybe an example of my nostalgia glasses going against me, but I still say this episode was very important.

A show centered around Dwayne/Duane by this point was long overdue. In hindsight, Dwayne was robbed, and they said as much by the end of the show.

Should go mentioned that from the showrunner perspective, this was less about the 100% epic of Dwayne and more of just incorporating Small’s humble beginnings with the guitar as a teenager. People got caught up in the cliche plotting when this does show some personal merit.

I also can’t completely rule out Brendon setting up his own band, because that side of the episode definitely had its place in humor. But at the same breath, I could only imagine how much more this could’ve been, had the main characters been not so prominent. Or better yet, removed from the episode altogether.

Point being that Dwayne really deserved his own full episode. My biggest takeaway from this will always be him showing everyone off at the contest.

And the fact that I feel this way just goes to show what Loren & Brendon accomplished by adding Dwayne in as early as they did.

Dwayne was introduced to Home Movies as this mindless skit character who could be in the basement, or the pet store with no explanation needed.

Dwayne was implemented purely as a way to show off Small’s instrumental capabilities. And doing so not only supported the very molding of Home Movies, but such a small decision would shape Brendon Small’s career for decades.

You probably don’t wanna hear me reference Metalocalypse for the tenth time, but yeah.... Metalocalypse. “Army of The Doomstar” is right around the corner. And even though there might be better, more vivid displays of metal in HM such as Director’s Cut, and even Renaissance from weeks ago; Guitarmageddon demands to be mentioned in that light.

Not much else to say. Jimmy Monet was a perfect one-off villain, and now you know who’s been calling Clarice “Lil Mama.”

It only makes sense for Jason to be the Murderface of Brendon’s band. Love how all it took was Melissa claiming the Chocolate Factory for Jason to call her a huge *****.

Oh, and the cow bell at the beginning you’ll recognize as the Soup2Nuts sound.

*Week Thirty Five Delay*

“Double Lame-o donkey f-*EEEK*!
Sucking on the witch’s *EEEK*!”

[Storm Warning] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: McGuirk tries to convince Paula to pose as his fiancée while his sister is visiting. Meanwhile, the kids are trying to decide whether they want to make a mockumentary about making a movie or a mock-making-of a mockumentary movie or just a movie.

I knew I would like this episode going back. The next two, plus the S3 finale were some of the downright best from this season. But watching this episode again, I’d actually rank this even higher.

What “Storm Warning” has over what I covered the last few weeks is that this episode has next to no dead weight.

Story wise, it’s not my favorite, but I consistently laughed at almost everything from beginning to end. They had the best flow in this episode. The soccer field scene went on for a good set of minutes, and it was hilarious without it *just* being McGuirk.

I DO remember Walter & Perry’s petition to save the oak tree; self-signing 400 Walters and 400 Perrys. That’s exactly what I’m talking about. I stand by this being Walter & Perry at their peak.

The scene I laughed the hardest at was after being in panic about the tornado, McGuirk freaking out informs the kids that a tornado can drive a three inch nail into a tree.

I also think this episode divinely handled previous existing threads. For a ‘McGuirk as Small patriarch’ episode, I find this one funnier and much cuter than “Breaking Up Is Hard to Do.”

Paula continues to be not so successful in her creative writing endeavors, but this was the type of comedic distress she was meant for. And it’s not something to heavily weigh over her shoulders like how it was back in the second season.

I can honestly say I love this episode even more.

Not the biggest Spielberg fan, but even seeing Brendon in that getup is worthy of a smile.

SPECIAL Q&A COMMENTARY NOTES:

Brendon & Loren use this episode’s commentary to go over viewer mail.

- First thing the two did was reaffirm the show had been finished. Commentary was recorded a couple years after the fact.

-Interesting hearing Loren suggest fans wanted more Sealab instead, when Sealab was torn over their own show tanking as well.

-Fans ask about previous season DVDs, even offering thanks.

-Loren mentioned how forum discussion on Home Movies was partially high school riddled angst. I reminisced on that time of my life in one of my earliest submissions, and I agree this show resonated with me heavily during that era. Was only a freshman back during those first set of episodes and I digged it.

-It’s great when Small reads out “why doesn’t Adult Swim pimp your show more?” Also laughing when the viewer says he thinks Home Movies is just as good as Family Guy and Robot Chicken. Me concur!

- Creators confirmed Benjamin HATED having McGuirk interact with his other character, Jason. Which is why Coach is less involved with Jason other than sometimes telling him to shut up.

- Small credits Teletoon broadcasts in Canada for Home Movies exposure.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Thirty Six*

Jesus-zilla
Son of Godzilla

[Time to Pay the Price] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: Brendon, Jason and Melissa get in BIG trouble at school and are forced to attend a “scared straight” program at the local prison. Paula stumbles across a huge pile of the kids’ old movies and discovers an odd motif that runs through every film.

This was a simple favorite of mine. The characters being how they are naturally will not comply with grownup scare tactics.

When I was younger, there was an officer I had a bad run-in with who was similar to that joke of a former guard. Overweight. Dogs for tattoos. Thought being from New York meant he was scary. It only added to the experience.

Scared Straight programs are a dangerous waste of time and absolutely worthy of mockery. It makes me glad for the sake of this ep that none of the kids folded. Which I’m sure they could’ve also made entertaining, but having them keep their spirits up and learn nothing only elevated the show.

McGuirk’s prison advice was plentiful. Everything from how to act crazy in the can, to just encouraging the cozy thought of minimum security prison. Easily among the most memorable scenes on the field.

Animators went all out for this show as well. Several different costumes and backgrounds all throughout. (Starboy returns!)

Commentary’s fun because Brendon’s playing a banjo for the first 8 or 10 minutes of it. Then resumes playing the last couple or so minutes.

Really enjoyed watching this one again! It’s honestly one of those episodes that flies right by as it’s a blast.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Thirty Seven*

A quarter for the bus
A quarter for the bus

[Broken Dreams] :brendon::coach:

Synopsis: Melissa breaks her arm. Then Jason breaks his arm, which is very suspicious. This may affect the current film in production, but Brendon is also worried that he’s dumb or, at the very least, that Melissa is smarter than him.

God, this episode is still as awesome as I’ve left it.

I already knew from before what Brendon had going on for this episode was a real nice “kids being kids” type story. But I think this is the best one to show Brendon, Jason & Melissa truly are made for each other.

The scenes with Brendon being an idiot were downright endearing. It’s a personal challenge for him not to be as smart as Melissa, but I think the reveal at the end did a great job reinstating that Melissa’s more than a Goody Two-Shoes.

The McGuirk plot’s a special case. It’s obviously yet another one of his top greats, but this is also the first appearance of perhaps the funniest minor character to grace Home Movies. The Instructor!

I hype up a lot of the bits on this show and for good reason, but the immense banter McGuirk and the lifeguard instructor had over kissing and breathing into the safety doll has left me wheezing on more than one occasion. This, the driving lesson later, and the NY Times poem I’m convinced all contain the best line deliveries in the entire show.

For this episode, it really doesn’t even stop there either.

The scene at the library I consider masterful. By this point, they’ve perfected everything there is about Coach’s personality. They can write him to be drunk, they could write him to run on 6 days without sleep; they can write him to attempt reading in a library with a bloody concussion. And they have Benjamin along with the rest of the cast build on all of this.

I was already feeling this way for a long time, but it’s this episode I think that actually makes me fully appreciate just how this specific show works and is structured.

I could never see this being replicated.

I still remember the first time I saw the special animated “Trust Yourself” end credits air on TV.

That, and I think McGuirk sitting as a lifeguard albeit like a king also brought what was still a block at the time full circle.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Thirty Eight*

[Stowaway] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: The kids decide to run away to Europe and become expatriate artists. McGuirk’s car breaks down and he has no money to fix it. He asks Tom Wilsonberg, the author of Corporate Kids, for financial advice. Tom takes McGuirk gambling.

There’s really only a few Home Movies episodes I’m somewhat critical of. Mostly, it’s just certain things in episodes not clicking as well as it should.

Looking back on Week 12, I was a bit too harsh on “Law and Boarder” when there definitely was humor to be had. And I think I remember a bunch of people hating that dog episode later on.

Save for the bus scene and a couple bits on the casino boat, I’m almost certain “Stowaway” might be the show’s most forgettable episode. It’s the one I almost 100% blacked out on.

The kids wanting to run away, in theory, was executed normally. And usually, I also eat up the episodes where they clustercluck two storylines to have all characters conveniently within reach.

I laughed at Jason becoming a gambling addict within a single minute, but it just felt weird for the kids to be on a casino boat with no consequences or anyone questioning it. It’s more funny at times when there’s confrontation.

Tom Wilsonberg to me is also an absolute dud. Looks like a minor background character they wanted to make into some fun personality and it didn’t work.

The chemistry between Tom & McGuirk for that matter was lousy. Something about Coach being easily intimidated by some scrawny weasel in a suit did not sit right with me. It was honestly better when McGuirk was winning and screaming on his own.

While this may seem discouraging, next week will conclude season three spectacularly with the Halloween episode “Coffins and cradles!”

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Thirty Nine*

KNOCK KNOCK
WHO’S THERE
#### YOU

[Coffins and Cradles] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: The kids are preparing for Halloween, Linda (Brendon’s new stepmother) is preparing to have a baby and Coach McGuirk is preparing to have the romantic night of his life. Despite all this, no one is prepared when things start to go wrong.

Oh, do I remember the Halloween event this episode was a part of.

This finale is worthy of all its praise. One of, if not the most fast paced show of Home Movies in retrospect. Hooker McGuirk, sugar-crazed Jason, Kitty Lynch (candies on the meow); there’s just so much props I can give this one.

In the commentary, Brendon cites this episode as the “final chapter” of the arc between the father and stepmother. Which... I don’t know.

Andrew gets one mention at the beginning as to why he’s not there, but he had already reverted back to being the ghost character not present in Brendon’s life. Several episodes before this, actually.

Small’s description at the end of the commentary was also depressing. That in the end, Andrew had a new family, and thus didn’t need Brendon anymore. Where as I interpret the whole thing as Andrew not being present in either of the kids’ lives since he dodged Linda’s birth.

Speaking of, upon this rewatch, I’ve changed a new leaf with Linda on this particular episode.

Have I still not changed my longstanding opinion? Oh yeah. Don’t get me wrong. Linda Small still straight up sucks.

This episode on the other hand had GREAT line exchanges between Silverman & Small. I’m just wishing Linda was as good in virtually any of her other appearances as she was in her very last cameo.

The infamous flipout during the birth goes without saying, but I’m finding pretty much the whole thing inside that hospital room to be gold.

Tom Kenny was remarkable. Home Movies in particular was something he treated almost as if he was still on Mr. Show.

What really got me laughing this time around was Small & Kenny taking apart that one incredibly stupid joke and Laura Silverman just screams back in believable labor pains.

And like Small mentioned in the commentary, it wasn’t the uptick in bleeped swears that was funny. It was really how Brendon took genuine offense to a grown woman who was in the middle of giving birth.

One the side, McGuirk and Stephanie have crossed paths again.

Liking how Stephanie’s life progressively went more and more off the tracks since her last visit.

The last episode you kinda felt bad because McGuirk really shouldn’t have been within her same wavelength, but this episode made her into a complete freak.

This time around, Coach was actually close to getting some, and he might’ve finally been ready. He just had a major health crisis before anything could happen.

2003 me completely tuned out the fact McGuirk had a heart attack in this episode.

* Benjamin converts to his Jason voice as John is calling for an ambulance *

Characters died on the daily in every other [as] show, and nothing obviously would’ve happened to the bread and butter of HM. Still though. It’s intense they wrote Coach’s heart attack to have actually happened.

Craziest thing about that too was the doctor proclaiming Coach was too young to be having heart attacks. Any other adult cartoon would play up McGuirk letting himself go and just make jokes about him being close to his 40s or something.

Had season four not have happened, I could see this posing as some made-up glimmer of hope that maybe Coach could improve his life a bit.

What reaffirms that belief would be McGuirk and Brendon having that obligatory heart to heart in the hospital room. Also filled to the brim with rapid joke forming.

That’s the third season! Again, there’s a lot here I could commend from top to bottom.

Small mentioned in this ep’s commentary that he feels season three was where they “hit their stride.” Which surprises me because I still love the second season and didn’t think the writing was as slow as he put it.

Nonetheless, this was close to perfect. A bit bummed the complete rewatch goal is almost over.

...See you on season four!

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Forty*

DIDN’T-GET-WHAT-I-WAS-GOING-FOR

[Camp] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: Brendon, Jason and Melissa attend Camp Campingston Falls for the summer, home to stifling heat and crappy music counselors (THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS). Meanwhile, McGuirk’s camping trip with The Crywalkers, a sensitive men’s group, turns out to be not entirely about free food.

The last time Home Movies had a show involving camping, it was a single 1999 cold opening, UPN wanted them gone, and they had to later use silhouettes for the scene just to work around production restraints.

Years later, Home Movies does a full-fledged camping show for their last season. One that’s jam packed with every aspect of how the series has evolved. Music, improvisation, animator magic, the works.

I was thinking about what Small said before. His overall credit to season three and what he’d push for with the remaining 13 shows.

And looking at this episode again, without even getting to “Bye, Bye Greasy” yet; I see it.

S2 and S3 are probably still better seasons overall, but they’d get too caught up in the simple formula of how the kids run into Lynch, how Coach seamlessly rambles his way to Brendon, how to fit Walter & Perry in for a couple minutes...

They made a majestic episode by shying away from and bending the rules a bit. They kind of had to anyway just with the overwhelming amount of work placed here.

The episode direction’s consistently breathtaking if you’re familiar with the usual cutting corners.

McGuirk’s escape, and later embrace of the Crywalker cult. (SEE YOU IN A YEAR, ###HOLES)

The episode immediately began on a strong note with all the sidesplitting dialogue leading up to Coach running away.

A full on descent into madness, on top of some quality work by animator Damon Wong.

The story’s so dumb, you really can’t get past John just not wanting to cry or be hugged. And yet my mouth still dropped at the scene where he’s cornered by the Crywalkers, as it’s done so theatrically.

LOVE this episode for Dwayne. He’s built up a certain status over the years, and it would’ve been fine for him to go insane with John Flansburgh and John Linnell respectively. But here he’s just back in his element as the bumbling guitar guy.

Could not forget the wannabe film industry mook. Benjamin once again making random characters completely his own, and Small even does a great job as his female assistant.

The big performance at the end goes to show how far our rabbit troop has come along. Brendon, Jason and Melissa at one point in time were the most empowering set of underachievers on TV. It’s still satisfying to watch them turn the tables on everyone.

They give Melissa a phobia of swimming solely to make her a badass later and save Coach’s life. Again, there’s a lot more fine intent here than I can recount.

Small & Bouchard were likening this to “Shore Leave” and HONESTLY... I think this is better.

The S3 premiere was great for all of Fenton plus the explosive end, but “Camp” roundly gives you everything you could want.

Commentary notes:

- Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants was a fan and first contacted H. Jon Benjamin, then later Soup2nuts for an episode. The rest is history.

- Loren mentions almost off the spot that both this and the infamous “Bye, Bye Greasy” were his two favorites of season four.

- There’s actually a bonus commentary track for this episode with Isaac Brock and Joe Plummer of rock band, Modest Mouse. One of the members having not watched any of the show before.

- The bonus track was used as a further endorsement of the show’s music, and I think one both Brendon & Loren (but mostly Brendon) were absolutely giddy about.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Forty One*

[Bye, Bye Greasy] :brendon: :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon directs the school play. Hilarity ensues. McGuirk gets to realize his lifelong dream of driving a car onstage.

Second best for the series. Right behind “Pizza Club.” I’d actually say they’re tied at #1 if I wasn’t such a coward.

Honestly, if it wasn’t for “Focus Grill” then ideally I would’ve wanted this to be the series finale. The end with Coach and Brendon being forced to ride on the bike was beautiful.

^Also learned this wasn’t too out of left field of an idea of mine, as the third commentary track confirmed this was one of the last shows they recorded that just so happened to be one of the earliest shows to air for season four.

I’ve been pussyfooting with a lot of these episodes, but there’s no ‘appreciate it more’ or ‘appreciate it less’ with this one.

“Bye, Bye Greasy” continues to be as awesome as I left it.

My single critique would be Shannon not feeling too much like his old self. This one, he was a tad bit more violent and intimidating than chatty/cordial. His charming demeanor was always the major payoff so it’s a different pace this time around.

But even then, Emo Philips still killed it.

McGuirk’s “I’ll Race” is where H. Jon Benjamin rightfully receives his flowers with this show’s music. Hands down. It’s the one thing that gets stuck in my damn head with every rewatch. And that was done in ONE TAKE.

Multiple DVD commentary extravaganza notes:

^^ Lynch: Wait, it’s cancelled? I’ve been relying on Home Movies money for-

Brendon: It’s not great money, how can you rely on that?

Lynch: You should see what I eat.

Brendon: ...What do you eat? Air?

Lynch: We’ll be right back. ^^

They finally got Ron Lynch on a commentary and he’s as hilarious as you’d anticipate.

Small, Bouchard & Lynch all in the same room together. Taking about how they all met, making fun of Lynch’s pronunciation of “Aqua-Man,” lamenting how the pay was always bad and only got worse.

It stings for Lynch in particular because while he may have enjoyed however many flights to Boston to record, his agent took somewhat of a hit just to make the pay difference up for Lynch near the end of the run.

It shouldn’t come to a surprise that Lynch’s gig on Tom Goes to The Mayor was a Bob Odenkirk favor. Then minutes later, they dropped the bombshell that TGTTM was finished too.

Somewhere early on, the three retell the story of how H. Jon Benjamin’s one improvised line about a pencil mustache during S1 made the animators give Lynch his signature facial hair.

Small acknowledges that our real life Melissa is allergic to eggplant, so she does carry around a pen. And I also wouldn’t have noticed squigglevision briefly came back from Junior Addleburg’s shock, had Small not pointed it out.

The second track with Jon Benjamin, Melissa Bardin Galsky, Eugene Mirman and Loren Bouchard once again; also a treat.

Mirman has a larger presence in Loren’s later work (Lucy, Bob’s), but these are all just comedy friends having a good time.

The main takeaway was Melissa stating that in Shannon’s first appearance, Emo Philips improvised a line with her that was so sexual they had to cut it out. He first thought their characters were adults, given that they speak normally.

Last track features Bill Braudis (episode writer), Jack Ferraiolo (producer), and Keith Law (superfan).

This one states Benjamin & Small had so much fun recording as Walter & Perry that they’d spend an hour doing material while everyone else got lunch.

This track also confirmed the typical brief “documentary” shooting was out of obligation since this was one of the only episodes with no movie. Another thing I honestly didn’t notice.

There was a short lived B story idea for “Bye, Bye Greasy” where McGuirk tries street racing in preparation for his role. Adds an extra layer to the end where he wants to race Shannon.

Overall, this gives you something for a couple of the underdogs who aren’t as well known as the main cast, but were also the crucial key in putting this perfect show together.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Forty Two*

Boom-bada-ba-boom-bada-ba-boom-boom-boom

[The Heart Smashers] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon tries to break up with Fenton; Paula tries to break up with her new boyfriend; McGuirk’s chest tries to break up with McGuirk.

Ok. The boob episode.

I remember having a funny conversation on an Xbox Live chat over a decade ago about how weird this episode was. How I pretty much tuned it out at the time even back then.

I mean... the soccer scene with Coach & Brendon riffing about the boobs was great. As was the couple scenes of McGuirk at the gym. But that’s all I cared to remember before.

I don’t know if it’s because it’s already a very “jump the shark” story (trust me, I hate myself for saying that), or if part of it also is that Coach’s thing is strictly animator gross-out over dialogue that speaks more to Home Movies as a show.

But the one counterpoint to that is there actually is other stuff in the episode going on.

Brendon also had the only real sufficient reaction to the enlarged pecks/breasts in the first place. I’d say the gym guys but they mostly hassled Coach once or twice without really saying anything.

From a “this aired on television” perspective, it goes to show how messed up S&P used to be. Just last season they had a problem with Coach visibly puking, but a huge, sagging rack is A-okay so long as it happens to be McGuirk’s chest.

Paula’s plotline was the worst. Simon was an unappetizing character who only failed to make me laugh at each and every turn. The only thing I found pleasant involving him was the gang’s ridicule of a guy who can’t load a table onto a truck. That, and the gang’s unanimous idea of murder.

I can definitely respect Paul Kozlowski’s voiceover approach, but the character itself just stunk. That being part of the joke is understandable. I still find it a not very good one.

The stuff with Fenton was pretty good, even though this is my least favorite of the stories involving him.

I didn’t see much value in Fenton taking over Brendon’s set until I discovered Sam Seder himself directed movies, and so he just went nuts improvising with stuff he had learned from his career.

I didn’t gel with this Fenton story at first because while there was chuckle-worthy material (Septopus theme/the breakup), it felt a tad undercooked.

I mean, didn’t they already make it abundantly clear in previous episodes that Brendon was never Fenton’s friend, and would never willingly object himself to Fenton? Unless forced to like all those other times? For comedy sake?

So, why is Brendon’s sudden friendship with Fenton highlighted? And how come there was no real fight or pushback before Fenton was even involved with the movies in the first place? I think that would’ve made a much larger difference with this setup.

Commentary notes:

- My favorite part from the first track was Lynch calling Fenton “Fertle” and Loren immediately bursting out laughing.

- Lynch really does have the grandpa vibe when watching this cartoon episode he’s not in besides one newspaper gag.

- I completely missed the follow-up visual gag where the theater performers earlier in the episode were involved in some type of scandal on the news.

- Second track had Sam Seder! “Oop... commercial break! ....Oh, there’s not a commercial break!”

- They did say at one point Seder needed refreshing on the Fenton voice, and that’s why he sounds different at certain parts. Could’ve fooled me. I’d like to think that truth might be exaggerated, but many of the show’s guests and stars don’t actually watch the show. Makes it more organic!

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Forty Three*

Liquor before beer, never fear.

Beer before liquor, throw up quicker.

[Everybody’s Entited to My Opinion] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: Brendon begins writing reviews for a movie Web site called movie-weiner-or-winner dot com and begins offering his opinion about everything. Meanwhile, Coach McGuirk wreaks havoc at school because he’s finally got a friend “on the inside.”

The “www” banter from the beginning of the episode onward sucked me right back in. I don’t know why that of all things stayed entrapped in my mind, but it was effective.

You could say Brendon’s movie reviews hit close to home. Not just because of my years on the web spent talking about Small’s work. Also this whole entire thread I’ve done since January that not many read.

Page 1’s already the literal equivalent of 3-4 pages from TZ shutdown crunch. Submissions are all somewhat a clutter. But I too often fear of sounding as comically juvenile as Brendon sounds in this episode. (“The suspense was suspenseful-“)

This episode’s very laid back in style, but it presents an interesting approach to power.

Brendon’s getting paid top dollar (with checks he cannot actually cash) to write pop culture smut. Even receiving journalistic invitations for just being dubbed “Movie Guy” on this site.

McGuirk’s able to fully take over as a nuisance because he knows there’s no man more powerless than Lynch; our new interim principal. Interim being the key word.

The class teaching on alcohol is an absolute timeless bit. A lot of people’s go-to for McGuirk. But this was also the best one for Coach to really be on Lynch’s toes without Lynch even having much to do at this point. And softly enough, there is still a friendship, while reluctant on both sides.

Look back on the couple season one episodes where Lynch is mostly unphased as McGuirk’s foil, to now where Coach can successfully order Lynch to turn around as he gives him a wedgie.

It’s no secret which part of this episode’s story I prefer over the other, but I also like Coach being there to let down the kids in between his own shenanigans.

A lot of shows would be so stumped on how to tie everything together. Home Movies got it right even at the tail end of their prime.

Commentary notes:

- For the first track, we get Brendon, Loren & Lynch yet again. Was just them mostly dickin’ around. Immediately mentioning right off the bat that they’re sick of commentaries. BUT! We also got a hilarious call-in speaker phone message from Andy Kindler (Lindenson).

- Second commentary track features THE ONION staff! Editor, Will Shepard of Soup2Nuts joins Onion writers Joe Garden, John Krewson and Chris Karwowski.

- Will’s dog provided the barks for Honkey Magoo later into the season!

- All That Violence poster was designed by Soup2Nuts’ very own Kim O’Neil.

- One of the writers brings up Brendon’s then upcoming series “Death Clock.” Y’know. Back when that was the name for Metalocalypse. And before the band name itself was altered to Dethklok.

- Outtakes for this episode include extensive bits on both the “rutting season” and McGuirk’s self pleasure habits.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*DETOUR*

Soup2Nuts

“Home Movies”
:brendon: :coach:
Audio Session # 1
Episode # 101
Scene # 1

10/15/98

Immensely grateful for this feature as I’ve finished up absorbing the first disc of the last season.

Not only does it show Small & Benjamin reading off each other in the rawest form. It also gives you a much better understanding of how Brendon & McGuirk’s relationship first began in that recording booth.

I believe there’s roughly twenty minutes of the two men having fun and jokingly exploring the shoes of the two characters before it finally cuts to the improvised creation of McGuirk’s brand logo tattoo bit from the pilot.

The Beginning of The Genesis of The Origin of Home Movies - The Very First Sessions With Loren Bouchard

Our series creator takes us back home some more.

Bouchard first shows a glimpse of Brendon Small’s audition. It was before Small knew anything of the character itself, but they knew the voice was perfectly there.

Second set of clips showed how the cast would set up a scene for the kids doing a movie. Loren provided instructions to the group on what plans he’d have for specific movies within the episode, and the cast naturally got it and bounced off ideas in-n-out of character.

Bouchard shared various guitar riffs which singlehandedly lead to the birth of Dwayne/Duane. Bouchard was taken aback by Small’s rendition of “Crazy Train,” and that’s when they knew they needed a metalhead character. As they already wanted Small’s own shredding capabilities involved.

Final set of clips are pretty much a reshowing of the first audio session from the beginning of this post.

One includes again, Small and Benjamin working together magically.

18E61C1E-B7E2-4789-92B9-E1758FB5465F.jpeg

There’s the clip of McGuirk admiring Brendon for being weird which, in Bouchard’s own words, is the true heart and soul of Home Movies. That Coach McGuirk can be Coach McGuirk, while also being able to build Brendon up in some way, and vice versa.

Finally, they show how the work between the two is able to be finalized by the brilliant animation staff in the midst of having no concrete script. A process Loren said he’d never want to do again, but is also possibly the most unique process himself or any of them had ever pulled.

“It’s a lot to ask of a group of people to invent a show together. To share the vision, and to negotiate in this way.”

Kudos to you, Loren. And thank you for sharing part of those tapes.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Forty Four*

[The Wizard’s Baker] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: A disillusioned Brendon abandons his unfinished rock opera to join the fun-sounding Skunk Scouts, while Jason and Melissa are left to attract investors for CGI shots. McGuirk tries to get his money back after drunk-dialing the ShopAtYourHouse Network to buy swords.

Not a real laugh riot, but definitely an interesting theme to spin.

Most of the episode foreshadows the end of the series.

Brendon’s at this point where he just wants to be a kid again. Without having to think about being trapped inside making movies.

It’s a very bitter storyline, especially for the middle of the last run, but the direction was still commendable even with this being one of their more weaker episodes. Even having Brendon as the baker held some significance to him just being stuck.

Small & Bouchard both claimed in the commentary that much of the business oriented jokes were “too subtle,” and that’s why Wizard’s Baker in particular took more of a beating with constructive notes.

Showrunners didn’t imply or say directly, but I’m assuming Khaki Jones wasn’t fully sold on this episode specifically.

They brought back a couple of my favorites! Eugene (Mirman) and Lindenson (Kindler). Both of which were real nice to see again.

The story with McGuirk’s sword purchase was pretty good. I feel like I should slap myself for not finding it more entertaining, but it just did its job without being exceptionally perfect or anything. Maybe that’s a me problem.

Commentary notes:

• Brendon Small the character was sick and tired of his rock opera. Brendon Small the series creator stated he only wanted to do the rock opera since the first draft, and has plenty more rock operas still in him.

• McGuirk sword jumping his TV, according to Bouchard (not a joke) was a Samurai Jack reference. Small also gave honest praise to the art style of Samurai Jack, and commented that it had the best use of color.

• Small jokes about the grocery store cashier being “Brendon all grown up.” The voice and the design according to him were too similar. Especially when interacting with a drunk, sword-wielding McGuirk.

• There was an actual sword attack story in the news during the production of this episode that caught both Small & Bouchard’s eye.

• “It’s true, they never even gave *BLEEP*jobs to chickens in Russia.” - Sam Seder

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Forty Five*

[Psycho-Delicate] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon, Melissa and Jason do a Hitchcock film for a contest at the local video store. And McGuirk has the perfect blonde bombshell - a waitress at the local diner that he’s intent on picking up. Paula tries to get her money back after a bad haircut, and everyone gets harassed by a pushy street musician.

I really haven’t talked about my own individual bitterness toward this show’s popularity.

It’s honestly a subject I’ve refrained from dwelling on the entire rewatch.

“X is underrated! No one watches it!” There was never a time where I didn’t find that kind of talk so loathsome, even if they were indeed right. And believe me, it comes up a LOT with shows I’ve watched and discussed on the regular for years.

You might not have tuned into Home Movies when it was airing, but I did. It’s also not just the viewership that was the problem.

This insanely funny episode deserved the kind of awards given to Always Sunny and Curb for doing the same exact thing.

I’m pretty adamant on Bob’s Burgers not being the show for me, despite the similarities automatically given with it being Bouchard’s biggest break. And even there, I find it criminal just how quickly and easily Bob’s overshadowed Home Movies in one fell swoop.

I haven’t lost sleep over it or anything, but... it sucks. It really does.

Home Movies deserves praise and notoriety more than most things ever, and at times feels downright robbed of such.

All the material Bill Braudis gave to McGuirk for this episode was incredible.

One of the funniest bits I’ve ever seen in my life involves a soccer coach and a performer fighting on the street over a twenty dollar tip.

Again, none of the magic would be as accomplished without those same two guys (Small & Benjamin) recording in the booth together.

It’s not even just that scene, either.

They took something as uncomfortable as “waitress sweet-talks loser jerk to gather more tips” and made genius character dialogue out from it.

Like the whole conclusion with Coach demanding tips back after he realized tipping a waitress doesn’t lend yourself to sex.

•• Fred(short for Freda): You have to be kidding me! This is ridiculous!

McGuirk: *slams fists against table* How come you’re not dumb anymore?

Fred: You know what? Take your money! Take it! You can have it!

McGuirk: Great, give it.

Fred: *taken aback* ...No!

McGuirk: ...WHAT IS THAT?!

Fred: Not really ‘take it’ just ‘take it,’ like... the way people say “take your money. I don’t want your money, but-“

McGuirk: THAT’S CRAZY! YOU’RE EVIL! ••

I especially applaud the outcome of the episode letting Coach win.

I mean, the whole ending hinges on John’s dumb little victory lap. Nabbing some combative street musician’s guitar after pummeling him senseless in that diner. And the fact he just takes over his corner out of spite.

The reveal was already subversive enough with the performer and the waitress being an item.

Laura Silverman was amazing in this from start to finish. Fred’s definitely her best Home Movies character.

It’s also good they had Todd Barry somewhat reprise the video store clerk role he had in Dr. Katz.

Commentary notes:

• First track with Loren & Brendon was mostly very insightful about the improv and how much of what they were doing was a rarity just on actor-to-actor basis.

^Small commented on how he had to essentially fake that raw conversationalist feel once he started on Metalocalypse. Even going as far as to make scratch recordings when the opportunity rose.

• Benjamin’s not riffing on the guitar at the end. That’s Small, of course.

• Second track with Melissa Galsky, H. Jon Benjamin and Todd Barry was a breeze. Silliest thing was Benjamin throwing Bouchard under the bus for saying “Todd’s got no range” back on the first track.

• Third track brings back the Onion guys from before. Wasn’t expecting The Brak Show and a 9/11 joke to be mentioned within the same commentary.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Forty Six*

[Curses] :brendon: :melissa:

Synopsis: Brendon gets in trouble for making a movie about a foul-mouthed robot, and Paula gets out the curse jar. Meanwhile, Melissa gets jealous when her dad, Erik, wants to date a woman from his journal writing class.

Effectively funny in all the right places.

You’d think it would age poorly, or that the episode’s using swears for one-trick pony sake. But no.

You get that amazing phone call from Mrs. Addleburg.

Walter & Perry also haven’t had a top notch scene together in a hot minute.

Even when I was blank face with much of the robot movie itself, Coach was able to flip like a switch at the ref and that was always enough to have me laugh out loud. You’ve probably seen that in clips, but it’s a million times funnier within context.

For a second, I also forgot Brendon nonchalantly placed “Two Dogs Having Sex” onto the ‘clean version’ of his movie for the whole watch party to see. One of the highest notes any episode could end off on before closing credits.

While the comedy in the episode obviously works, “Curses” is a more crucial character takedown than it’ll probably ever receive credit for.

Possibly the most meaningful show with Erik and his daughter Melissa.

You had that scene in the basement where Brendon & Jason were just having fun with the swear jar, which was already doing a good job keeping me amused. And then Melissa drops that bombshell about her dad dating which everyone felt, including me.

And it’s not actually presented seriously. There’s humor to be had in Melissa being controlling and protective of her own father.

But everything between Melissa still wanting her dad, and Erik only wanting to be mindful of his little girl’s feelings was what left a significant impression.

As we’re halfway into the final season, this episode basically struck a chord with everything they established within the very first episode.

This was a show about single families working and making memories together.

You’ll notice as Brendon & Erik were both negotiating on how to get Melissa back to normal, Brendon was someone Erik already decided was a good kid a long time ago. Even that side of the episode felt rewarding.

And while the resolution might not matter if you don’t actually see Erik settle down; Erik still having the option someday is the point. This has been the same case with Paula.

Great episode to get you really thinking about these characters before the show wraps.

Commentary notes:

The tracks with Loren & Brendon have gotten to where I care more about their genuine advice than I care about gathering more tidbits about the show.

This was the first time where I actually felt compelled to play a track twice just to take it all in.

Addleburg was a stand-up character Small was doing shortly before Home Movies, and was a voice often requested by other showrunners.

Small & Loren were ahead of the curve on comedic timing with bleep swears. Small reflected on Adult Swim not allowing the “f” in F-Bombs to be heard... which he was then amazingly corrected by with the McGuirk scene as they snuck a bit of it in. Of course since then, Small easily worked his way around this with Metalocalypse, in a similar light to what ATHF was already pulling.

Loren takes the opportunity to credit the great Jonathan Katz, who’s essentially the “grandfather” to all this.

Loren recalls a time where Katz pointed out when he thought a joke was “fragile” when editing. This stuck with Loren forever and made him have a better understanding of jokes always having a certain rhythm which was equally important as the joke itself.

Loren also retells the story of how they got Melissa Galsky, as she was the assistant of Jonathan Katz.

“You don’t need to see everything in order to understand what’s going on. Your ear will pick up the important parts if they are placed well.” - Brendon Small

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Forty Seven*

[Honkey Magoo] :brendon: :coach:

Synopsis: Finding a lost puppy threatens to break up Brendon, Jason and Melissa’s friendship - until they realize how much he sucks.

Oddly enough, I do remember some of the online hate for this episode.

By today’s standards I think it’s just one of those shows that most can tune out. But after watching again, I actually can admit Honkey Magoo was lame.

It certainly has a right to exist. They had the proper idea with all the foolish pet names, and some of the material does indeed work.

Everything between Jason and the bird (also Benjamin) was the best.

It just feels like the end goal for the episode wasn’t that fun.

In the commentary, Brendon stated the purpose was to say it’s okay to admit to hating your pet every once in awhile for being a menace in your home. That joke was supposed to be the payoff, and again, fits for the theme of Home Movies.

But then Brendon also goes on to mention how unruly/untrained dogs are only wanting to eat and go to the restroom, without knowing why their owners are screaming bloody murder at them.

^ Now, while that’s also understandable, how come the episode only depicts Honkey Magoo as a crazy mutt? Brendon and the rest of the kids are irresponsible, but the episode doesn’t do much to where you really side with the dog either.

I easily remembered the bit where Paula kept placing notes on Brendon’s body out of disrespect for her son’s intelligence. They also didn’t really resolve or confront that in any way whatsoever at the end.

Maybe they never meant to. They kept piling more notes on Brendon to further extend the joke and that was about it.

Jason dressed as Cartman for that movie scene was obviously an animator throw-in. Home Movies was too clever of a program for H. Jon Benjamin to be toting early South Park quotes for reference sake. Other comedies have failed to maintain that same level of dignity.

McGuirk’s role in this episode was as passive as could be, and I do find that to be a blessing.

When ever Brendon goes to see him, they let Coach go out of character with his hat and glasses while tending to a bonsai.

Forgettable episode with some share of redeeming qualities. Stowaway in comparison was also a forgettable episode with next to no redeeming qualities besides a scene or two.

Now I’ve established that I’m still not the most favorable of Honkey Magoo, but I also find a large number of the previous complaints to be not very... articulate.

First off, yes. There is gross-out. But just because there’s a poorly animated dog turd in one scene and some references to dog droppings doesn’t mean that “the entire show was poop jokes.”

As bad as the episode might’ve been, I was never once under the impression that Honkey Magoo was all potty humor and nothing else. Quite frankly, I find that ridiculous.

The jokes were less about the literal dog feces and again, more so that the animal was destructive.

Adding to that, some were angry that the dog destroyed Brendon’s movies. For this episode. For a dog that you’re only gonna see once and never again.

Not to mention that the number of movies produced by these kids are always so wide and inconsistent, it’s safe to say this was never an issue.

We never saw the series ending yet by this point, but my comment above still stands.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Forty Eight*

Huge plume, a mushroom cloud

[Those Word-I-Can’t-Say-on-Toonzones Tried To Cheat Me] :melissa: :coach:

Synopsis: Brendon cheats on a test, and his trip to the dark side threatens to spiral out of control. McGuirk goes to traffic school after getting a(nother) ticket. Jason and his new crush, Penny, come to realize that requited love isn’t as much fun as stalking someone.

Alright. Driving test practice was obviously an all-timer. But I always very much enjoyed how uniquely done Brendon’s story was as well.

You had the score you could already tell had Hitchcock influence, plus having the comic relief (Addleburg, Walter, Perry) as these three to really conspire and corrupt Brendon over test cheating. Very well done.

The namesake of the episode and also Lynch getting a decent laugh here was great too.

It was a fun choice on their part to have Melissa ride along on Coach’s scheme to cheat. It’s a shame how barely utilized that pairing ended up being for the series overall when they just kill it here.

Commentary notes:

Loren said a couple things on the first track which I was very happy with.

Their dunking on Squigglevision goes back to when they first started doing commentary for the series. But there’s a part here where Loren both acknowledges and appreciates those who not only found the squiggling to be its own charm, but also the slower pace of Home Movies. Him and Brendon approve those having different takes on it without just punching down.

On that note, Bouchard also by this point doesn’t stoop as low as to make any cheap shots about the animation, which many big time creators do. He knows what the company put out for this was good.

Bouchard says in his own words “the look’s as natural as the sound” and I couldn’t agree more. People are way too comfortable calling this show ugly without having a real perception of what ‘ugly’ actually is.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Forty Nine*

[Cho & Amy Lee] :brendon::coach:

Synopsis: Brendon’s lucky goal ruins the record of the other team’s uptight star goalie, Cho, who then moves in for revenge. Cho’s team’s choice of game music brings back some long-repressed memories for McGuirk.

Pretty unusual.

The best material for this episode is what you’ll find within the first 11 minutes.

Walter & Perry’s blood lust, Jason’s out of left field sex euphemism comment that perked up everyone around him, McGuirk’s Scottish dance backstory...

The physical gags I wasn’t too sure on. I’m guessing the reason why I wasn’t all that receptive of Brendon punching his grandfather was because the joke kept on going, and I didn’t find Seder to be enhancing it all that much after the first time.

Seder’s Cho character wasn’t that much of a laugh for me either. Props to them for giving him stuff different than Fenton.

The weird for weird sake ending was kinda good. Passable, if that.

You’ll probably get a laugh from Coach’s dancing breakthrough. Not so much Melissa beating up Brendon because Cho’s a hippie now or whatever. Just felt flimsy.

There’s not much to really speak on about Loren & Brendon’s commentary track for the episode. They discussed people disliking the show for abnormal reasons such as “focusing too much on the kids.”

I only have the last few episodes left, plus the first 5 that I have to rewrite and resubmit; and I still haven’t gotten to any commentary ribbing of a Toonzone user like Classic Speedy had mentioned months back in the lost original thread.

Hoping I didn’t miss or look past that.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Fifty*

Sex On The Beach? I’ll have that too! But the real one! You name the beach, and I’ll have sex on it.

Heh heh..... yeah uh, Sex On The Beach, comin’ right up.

[Definite Possible Murder] :brendon::melissa:

Synopsis: Laid up with a leg injury, Brendon spies on his new neighbor, Raymond Burley, who quite possibly may be involved in some potentially suspicious behavior. Coach McGuirk finds a life-changing pamphlet that leads him to bartending school.

My last standalone favorite episode before the series concludes.

Holds up very, very well. It’s a common feat for the time to go right by with Home Movies episodes when you’re enjoying them. This one fits the bill that well, you wouldn’t have taken it to be one of the last shows they ever did.

If you prop this up with the Rear Window parody that Simpsons also made, you’d have close to an hour of perfect TV.

H. Jon Benjamin has gone on the record of not really liking Jason and McGuirk interacting with each other. With that in mind, you’d assume he would rarely sign off on having 1-1 character exchanges with himself. And you’d be right! That was hardly a thing in the show.

This is where he steps out of that comfort zone and kills it. Raymond Burley and John McGuirk in the same room together just works majestically.

That line in the kitchen when Brendon asks Melissa if she’s talking about Coach or Burley; I loved that. I wish I could see what recording was like for that day.

Jason’s also at his best. (wee-ow)

Even the reveal of Burley being a ventriloquist added to what more Jon could put on the table. It’s just a really good episode specifically for him.

I always loved the beginning scene when Coach ruins Brendon’s get-well card with word salad.

Brendon nonchalantly refusing to respond to it in the next scene was just the type of payoff I appreciate even more so.

I’ve talked about this show the whole damn year and I’ve gone right back to missing it all over again with a lot of these rapid fire jokes.

Commentary notes:

- Loren Bouchard went to bartending school.

- On the dummy ending; Loren said he either laughed real hard at the table read or the actual session.

- Brendon adds that the voice, along with the puppet name Shim-Sham were both the funniest things he’s ever heard.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
*Week Fifty One*

Can I pinpoint a time that I have not been blind, AND drunk?

No.

[Temporary Blindness] :coach: :brendon:

Synopsis: Brendon, Jason and Melissa are assigned a family tree project in school. Meanwhile, when Coach McGuirk’s discount laser eye surgery somehow goes wrong, he becomes an occasionally blind possible prophet.

Entertaining ep. Not my first choice, and it’s easy to misremember bits and pieces. But as Bouchard and Small pointed out, the delivery was as good as the pitch on paper.

The Timmy segments I know they were most proud of, animation wise.

What I found most fascinating about “Timmy” simply was... the show was finished. Like, the series was just about wrapped up.

They could’ve slathered any random visual and say it was one of their movies, but they still put the effort in leaving props and whatnot. Even further tying it to the basement with an apparent green screen that they wrote in.

And even though the ending with Jason/Timmy was in Bouchard’s words “forced,” I think it still leaves a very good lasting impression.

With this being the penultimate episode, they surprisingly do little good giving a Family Tree plot line to these broken families.

This was the one time they spelled out to the audience that Josie was adopted, and I like how utterly unimportant they make that out to be. She’s been a prop character for very much all of the show, but it’s nice to just not have Brendon even question or think badly of the scenario.

You kinda feel bad for Melissa being... disturbed here lol. I’d say having Cinderella and Hulk Hogan in your family tree sounds like a lot of work.

Commentary notes:

Brendon Small had laser eye surgery. He actually went about it the same way as McGuirk. Kept rejecting glasses up until the point of needing help.

Me and Bouchard have both sat through jury duty videos.

When Coach asks his eye doctor what time zone he’s in, there was a real tough decision as to whether the eye doctor would be on vacation, or if he would be stuck at his other job. They fortunately went with the latter as a funnier scenario.

Recording session was great right as Benjamin went on with the celebrity impressions.

Marty Crandall and James Mercer of The Shins on the second track. Nothingburger.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Sparklefan1234 wrote on Classic Speedy's profile.
I just saw this on Reddit and instantly thought of you. ;)

Least favourite cartoon?

For me it's Poochini, I dislike the torment that Poochini goes through most of the time.
It's been 17 years and 17 days since the Problem Solverz pilot for Adult Swim (Neon Knome) was made! Even though I do prefer the final product, I think this pilot would make for a good series on [as].
Episode 2 of The Amazing Digital Circus just crossed the 100 million views mark!

I dont know if CNNickFan is a new member or an old one I didnt notice before but I loved their post on Jamie Kellner. A much needed voice of Reason

Featured Posts