20 Years of Sci-Fi (SyFy) doing the "Twilight Zone" New Years Marathon!

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I don't have cable anymore, but when I stopped by my parents house this evening, I couldn't help but flip over the channel to see if...Yep, there it is!

So much has changed in cable over the last few years, with several channels straying from what they were supposed to be about. I still feel that largely, cable has become irrelevant.

But the one thing, THE ONE THING I enjoy seeing every year that hasn't changed, is that the Sci-Fi Channel (or rather, "the SyFy Channel" *shudder*) still airs an annual "New Years Twilight Zone Marathon" each year! Usually 48 hours in length, for all of New Years Eve and New Years Day, the Twilight Zone marathon has become an annual tradition.

And when I did a quick google search tonight, because I wondered how long this has been going on...and it turns out this is the 20th Year that Sci-Fi has been doing this marathon!

From that article, it says the first time the marathon was broadcast was Dec. 31st, 1995 (a year I was highly into watching the Sci-Fi channel every waking hour)...

Anyone else enjoy tuning in to this yearly tradition?

EDIT: Here's another article on the history of Twilight Zone marathons, preceding even the Sci-Fi Channel's version of the marathon.

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Darn, I watch every single year, but I wasn't able to last night. It's a great show, so I'm glad that ScyFy still airs it.

the greenman

I don't have cable, and haven't in years. This used to air on syndicated network television, back when I was a kid and seen a majority of the famous eps. I already have the dvds/blurays and marathon them once a year. I now see some of the ones that were never aired for various reasons (specifically season 4), so I'm content with missing the marathon. BTW didn't they marathon them on July 4th too?

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Darn, I watch every single year, but I wasn't able to last night. It's a great show, so I'm glad that ScyFy still airs it.

They do still air it weekdays, last I checked, though usually between midnight and 6 am...typically at 4 or 5 am, anymore...

BTW didn't they marathon them on July 4th too?

They still do.

I got to wondering how long the 4th of July marathon has been airing, and found someone's post on this subject here.

If they are to be believed (and it sounds plausible), here is the answer:

The Sci-Fi Channel (now Syfy) has been airing the marathons for almost 20 years. The first Sci-Fi Twilight Zone Marathon was December 31, 1994 - January 1, 1995, and they haven't missed a year since.

The Sci-Fi Channel's first July 4th Twilight Zone Marathon was in 1995. They have held them 1995-1996, 1998-2009 and 2011-2013.

The Sci-Fi Channel skipped the July 4th marathon in 1997 and in 2010 Syfy replaced it with a Greatest American Hero marathon, but returned to the TZ marathon the following year.

So 1st time was back in 1995 as well, but it has not been consistent every year. I didn't catch the July 4th marathon in 1995 - I got cable for the first time a few months later. Around October or November, I believe.

Last edited:

JoeMabbon

Robot Clone
I started watching in 2004/2005 and I tend to watch it off and on. I missed it this year, though. I had no idea the marathon was so old. That's really impressive.

the greenman

Well, I do remember the syndicated networks tried to switch it up with either Star Trek (60's) or The Honeymooners. I don't remember if that was just on July 4th though.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Here's an old commercial for the New Years marathon on the Sci-Fi channel, from back in 2001...wish I could find one from the 90's.

Remember when they were calling every marathon a "Chain Reaction" back then?

Last edited:

the greenman

Question: Do you think TNT inspired Sci-Fi to do the TZ marathons? Cause I remember TNT's Monstervision w/ Joe Bob Briggs (best host since Elvira for other reasons) started slightly earlier maybe 92-93.

Michael24

Staff member
Wow, twenty years! I've never seen the marathon, but that's impressive. (In fact, I think I've only ever seen just a handful of Twilight Zone episodes.)

Question: Do you think TNT inspired Sci-Fi to do the TZ marathons? Cause I remember TNT's Monstervision w/ Joe Bob Briggs (best host since Elvira for other reasons) started slightly earlier maybe 92-93.
MonsterVision started in 1993, but Penn & Teller were the original hosts. Joe Bob (oh boy, do I miss his MonsterVision) took over in 1995. I don't remember it having TZ marathons, though, unless they were in the early Penn & Teller days.

the greenman

Wow, twenty years! I've never seen the marathon, but that's impressive. (In fact, I think I've only ever seen just a handful of Twilight Zone episodes.)

MonsterVision started in 1993, but Penn & Teller were the original hosts. Joe Bob (oh boy, do I miss his MonsterVision) took over in 1995. I don't remember it having TZ marathons, though, unless they were in the early Penn & Teller days.

OMG, yes Penn & Teller were on there, but the marathons were Outer Limits. Researched this and found a blog on it:

The History of TNT’s MonsterVision | Cinemassacre Productions

Lord Dalek

Uncreative Hack
Twilight Zone on blu-ray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> those 40 year old dupes Syfy(lus) runs every NYD.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Twilight Zone on blu-ray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> those 40 year old dupes Syfy(lus) runs every NYD.

Probably. I don't have Blu-Ray, but I've been watching Twilight Zone on Netflix the last couple of days, and the picture quality is pretty fantastic. And yes, there is the bonus that these are uncut (SyFy probably still cuts them for modern commercial time).

Still, just seeing old school marathons on TV is welcome, to me...

Gatomon41

Digipunk
I remembering seeing the first marathon back in the 90's as a young kid. First seeing them, the episodes were truly frighting and haunting.

But after all these years, the show does come off as a bit silly with the twists being so well known. Yeah, the writing and direction sometimes work. But often I keep on asking too many questions afterwards.

Road to Gotham

Donna Douglas famous for playing Ellie May on "The Beverly Hillbillies" died on New Year's Day.
She was 82.
Donna appeared in 2 Twilight Zone episodes.
"Eye of the Beholder"
"Cavender is Coming"

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts