4kids dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's To Premiere at San Diego Comic Con

Ishtar

Comic Con Thursday Schedule said:
12:00-1:00 The New Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s: English-Language World Premiere—Be the first on the planet to see the English language version of the new Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s television series. Plus, meet the team behind the show, including—straight from Japan—producer Teruaki Jitsumatsu (Transformers: Robots in Disguise). Yumi Hoashi of Konami, and representatives from UpperDeck, 4KidsEntertainment, and Playmates Toys will also reveal what’s in store for Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s fans and, while supplies last, offer a few surprises for lucky attendees! Room 5AB
Source: http://www.geektyrant.com/2008/07/comic-con-2008-thursday-schedule-is-here/
This is very interesting that 4kids happens to be premiering one of their dubs at a convention, especially one so big like Comic Con. I am also surprised that even the Japanese producer will be there. This makes me intrigued what the dub will be like. When was the last time 4kids ever premiered anything at a convention?

Mad Mod 49

Hopefully, it will be better than the Yu-gi-oh GX dub. But that series was never that good in it's original language either.:p

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
And we know how well that went.

How did it go? Was it the same as the broadcast version or was it another dub?

But, very interesting news. Sounds like 4Kids may be finally giving the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise some respect.

Ishtar

But, very interesting news. Sounds like 4Kids may be finally giving the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise some respect.
It was just the dub We Are. Anyway, I would like 5D's to get decent treatment, but you know that should have been the case for...the ORIGINAL series! Part of me still thinks they'll screw up with 5D's somehow, though. I do know, however, that Tom Wayland is auditioning for a role.

RonDrakenfan17

Luffy fan
I really hope 5D gets dubbed good, its really good Yugioh anime series wise. Better than GX thus far. I want to know who they pick as Yuuseis character voice, I bet it sounds like Yugis atem voice :p

kidx

Its about 3 years too late for that dontcha think?:sad:

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
More like seven. But uncut DVDs are still a possibility. The edited DVDs still sell well, so there's potential for that.

Ishtar

More like seven. But uncut DVDs are still a possibility. The edited DVDs still sell well, so there's potential for that.
Wayne Grayson said the Uncuts were canned due to poor sales.

Ishtar

They were also barely advertised and I couldn't find them anywhere.
The actually quality wasn't so great either. The subs were dubtitles and the actual dub itself was kinda mediocre. Like it was accurate, but the voice acting was stale, in a way.

Harlan_Phoenix

The actually quality wasn't so great either. The subs were dubtitles and the actual dub itself was kinda mediocre. Like it was accurate, but the voice acting was stale, in a way.

I don't disagree, but it was better than nothing.

Also, what does dubtitles even mean? I stuck to the dub with the one volume I managed to snag.

Ishtar

I don't disagree, but it was better than nothing.

Also, what does dubtitles even mean? I stuck to the dub with the one volume I managed to snag.
The subtitles for the Japanese version were word for word from the Uncut dub's script, except human character names like Jounochi were kept, while the card names were the English ones. There's even one scene where Japanese Kaiba says "Cyclops" IN ENGLISH, but the subtitles say "Hytotsume Giant(sp?)".

Light Lucario

Staff member
Hopefully, it will be better than the Yu-gi-oh GX dub. But that series was never that good in it's original language either.:p

I always thought GX has a fairly decent dub with 4Kids. At least it doesn't have as much editing as the DM series.

Ishtar said:

I never watched the Japanese version on the disc that I have, but I do agree that the quality wasn't really good at all. The voice acting felt really flat and at times even forced. I'm honestly glad that I didn't buy more.

Anyway, this does sound awesome. I have heard good things about 5D's, mainly how its better than GX. So if I do love GX right now, I'll probably really enjoy 5D's. I does sound that 4Kids is giving the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise some good treatment here by premiering the dub of the newest series at a big convention like the San Diego Comic Con. I hope that they'll have something really interesting to preimere there. I won't be able to go, but maybe it will be available on their website at some point afterwords as well.

Yash

dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura
D Dubbs said:
I'm pretty sure the only reason 4Kids started releasing uncuts only to pull them was a ploy to "prove" that uncut DVDs aren't worth the effort, not to mention FUNimation had a hand in getting Yu-Gi-Oh! released uncut (the 2002 edited release was in fact supposed to be uncut, but 4Kids had their way in the end). I doubt 4Kids will ever dabble in bilingual releases again.

At this point I'm only hoping that 4Kids will have learned from Dinosaur King (isn't it their highest rated anime on 4Kids TV?) and will give it a similar dub - use of original music, a decent voice cast and scripting, overall a fairly accurate production. This is a show that would really (I mean REALLY) benefit from a good dub, because unlike say, GX, it's a dark and gritty series that wouldn't be done any justice if given the 4Kids + Yu-Gi-Oh! = hack treatment.

Harlan_Phoenix said:
The subtitle script used when watching the Japanese version was the same as that of the script used for the dub, except for Jonouchi, Anzu, Honda, etc. keeping their original names (this same problem was present in the Shaman King release).

It wasn't terrible because of how brutally accurate the dub was (I say "brutally accurate" because it actually suffered from it), but disappointing nonetheless. The subtitle script on the third disc was slightly better in this regard, although it still borrowed heavily from the dub script.

There's even one scene where Japanese Kaiba says "Cyclops" IN ENGLISH, but the subtitles say "Hytotsume Giant(sp?)".
Hitotsu-Me Giant.

Kaiser0120

Little Kuriboh has already announced he'll be attending the panel. :D

Hopefully, it detracts all the attention from the panel to him. Because I'd kill to see that.

Ishtar

Little Kuriboh has already announced he'll be attending the panel. :D

Hopefully, it detracts all the attention from the panel to him. Because I'd kill to see that.
As would I. That would be awesome, especially if he interacts with the 4kids Reps.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts