4kids Entertainment was influential to/and defined anime and animation in the 90s and 2000s.

Dwain345

Banned
Everyone may think 4kids Entertainment is the worst thing to have ever happened to animation/anime back in the 90s and 2000s, but I think that 4kids Entertainment did more positive than negative. These days I tend to view 4kids as more of a necessary evil than anything else. Yes they made sweeping changes to shows and were lambasted for it, but I think this was important in the long term.

The New York voice talent pool that they got for their shows were phenomenal. They created an entire generation of anime/animation fans and voice acting buffs, to the point where the 4kids/NY cast of such anime like Yugioh and Pokemon are considered the "definitive" casts for many fans. And whether they intended it or not, they also proved there was a market for uncut anime in the states, paving the way for more mature series to be released. And if anything, the 4kids dub of One Piece essentially discredited the entire Macekre/heavy censorship style of localization as a whole.

And also, a lot of the voice actors that 4kids used definitely weren't mediocre, and in fact, are probably some of the best actors in the industry (these are New York voice actors after all). A lot of them had impressive theatre careers or were on Broadway at some point. You can see this by looking and some of the main casts of shows. Look at Dan Green, Wayne Grayson, Schroeder, Sebastian Arcelus, etc. Another example is whoever thought the 4Kids/NY actors would have such fantastic voices!! I almost cried after just finding this; Joey and Tea are awesome! Wish Yugioh would be a sort of musical showcasing these..!

I miss the 4Kids actors, I don't care what they say! They should do this again. 4kids also just had banger songs. The amount of just musical talent they possessed was wild. TMNT 2003 was one of the most well voiced acted and well scripted version of the turtles ever made. Pokemon's dub, let's face it, was iconic. They were the ones that gave us the incredibly memorable theme songs, and when the dub team changed hands to Pokemon USA, there were riots because the dub cast had been changed. Veronica Taylor, Rachel Lillis, Eric Stuart, Maddie Blaustein (RIP), and others were great. Yugioh is the same way. I do mourn the loss of some of the original soundtrack's better songs, but I think the 4kids openings (especially the battle city era one which added some more mystical elements into it) better represented the show than the Jpop/j-rock of the Japanese version. Also Kaiba's hacker theme slapped. Their Winx Club dub was literally was the 2000s teen girl vibe that was popular during the time and their Shaman King 2001 dub was really the true way to watch the show and the voices were way better than the 2021 dub voices.

Sometimes, I feel like 4Kids Entertainment doesn't get as much credit where it's due, because it was really a company that defined the 90s and 2000s era of anime and animation.

harry580

oh boy, a 4kids thread number 1,000,000. now we need to make posts about how great the hub network is at least 1,000,000 times if we can beat that number

Light Lucario

Staff member
Everyone may think 4kids Entertainment is the worst thing to have ever happened to animation/anime back in the 90s and 2000s, but I think that 4kids Entertainment did more positive than negative. These days I tend to view 4kids as more of a necessary evil than anything else. Yes they made sweeping changes to shows and were lambasted for it, but I think this was important in the long term.

The New York voice talent pool that they got for their shows were phenomenal. They created an entire generation of anime/animation fans and voice acting buffs, to the point where the 4kids/NY cast of such anime like Yugioh and Pokemon are considered the "definitive" casts for many fans. And whether they intended it or not, they also proved there was a market for uncut anime in the states, paving the way for more mature series to be released. And if anything, the 4kids dub of One Piece essentially discredited the entire Macekre/heavy censorship style of localization as a whole.
Aside from the 4Kids cast of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! DM, I don't think that their dub casts were that beloved. I certainly don't recall much praise for a lot of their casts in other dubs at least. I also think that using 4Kids as proof that there was a market for uncut anime is really overselling them. There were other bad dubs prior to 4Kids' One Piece dubs, so I don't think that indirectly lead to more studios going for uncut dubs instead.

And also, a lot of the voice actors that 4kids used definitely weren't mediocre, and in fact, are probably some of the best actors in the industry (these are New York voice actors after all). A lot of them had impressive theatre careers or were on Broadway at some point. You can see this by looking and some of the main casts of shows. Look at Dan Green, Wayne Grayson, Schroeder, Sebastian Arcelus, etc. Another example is whoever thought the 4Kids/NY actors would have such fantastic voices!! I almost cried after just finding this; Joey and Tea are awesome! Wish Yugioh would be a sort of musical showcasing these..!
I like a lot of the 4Kids voice actors as much as the next person, but I think that saying that they're some of the best actors in the industry is also overselling them. They were usually cited as one of the good aspects of 4Kids, but I don't think that they're necessarily some of the best of the best voice actors either.

I miss the 4Kids actors, I don't care what they say! They should do this again. 4kids also just had banger songs. The amount of just musical talent they possessed was wild. TMNT 2003 was one of the most well voiced acted and well scripted version of the turtles ever made. Pokemon's dub, let's face it, was iconic. They were the ones that gave us the incredibly memorable theme songs, and when the dub team changed hands to Pokemon USA, there were riots because the dub cast had been changed. Veronica Taylor, Rachel Lillis, Eric Stuart, Maddie Blaustein (RIP), and others were great. Yugioh is the same way. I do mourn the loss of some of the original soundtrack's better songs, but I think the 4kids openings (especially the battle city era one which added some more mystical elements into it) better represented the show than the Jpop/j-rock of the Japanese version. Also Kaiba's hacker theme slapped. Their Winx Club dub was literally was the 2000s teen girl vibe that was popular during the time and their Shaman King 2001 dub was really the true way to watch the show and the voices were way better than the 2021 dub voices.
I agree that 4Kids usually had great opening themes for their dubs. Their Pokemon dub openings were almost always catchy and the Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs had some good music too. I remember the backlash to the TPCI dub cast change and it was bad. Knowing how 4Kids most likely kept more money for themselves instead of giving what they owed to the Japanese companies, they deserved to lose the rights to both Pokemon and eventually Yu-Gi-Oh! too. Given how huge the franchise had become, it also felt inevitable that the higher ups would prefer to manage the anime within their own company like TPCI instead of relying on 4Kids forever. I haven't seen the Shaman King reboot, but I have heard that they got quite a few 4Kids actors to reprise their roles in it.

Sometimes, I feel like 4Kids Entertainment doesn't get as much credit where it's due, because it was really a company that defined the 90s and 2000s era of anime and animation.
I wouldn't really say that it defined the 90s and 2000s in animation. You could argue they did for anime since they had two major hits with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, but even that feels like overselling them a bit. While 4Kids did have some good voice actors and dub songs, I don't think that outweighs their problems or make them an unsung hero of anime or animation in general either.

Vuxovich

During the 1990s and also the 2000s, most of New York-based companies like Sunbow and BKN co-operated with the voice actors and studios based in Vancouver. As for Warner Bros. Animation, based in Hollywood, they followed DiC Entertainment's suit by producing Vancouver-voiced cartoons like Baby Looney Tunes. DiC was notorious for doing their Vancouver-voiced cartoons like Captain N: The Game Master.
Since Viva Piñata and Chaotic were both co-produced by Bardel Entertainment, an animation studio based in Vancouver, it would make more sense if those two 4Kids shows were voiced in the said city by the Ocean Group voice actors. Why 4Kids Entertainment didn't let Bardel to use the Ocean Group voice actors in Viva Piñata and Chaotic? And... Why 4Kids Entertainment didn't do at least a cartoon featuring both Los Angeles western animation and Vancouver voice actors?

Dwain345

Banned
bad. Knowing how 4Kids most likely kept more money for themselves instead of giving what they owed to the Japanese companies, they deserved to lose the rights to both Pokemon and eventually Yu-Gi-Oh! too.
Al Kahn only became CEO because he was lucky to be the one who created Cabbage Patch Kids.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts