AI

CNNickFan

Invader Zim
I don't think AI will actually replace animators/storyboard artists, because that just isn't practical, but the mindsets behind these bonehead CEOs is just ASTOUNDING.

This is embarrasing. I fear for the future of hollywood if this is the amount of brain capacity modern CEOs have. It's always been about money; but back then, CEOs often started as actors and directors, so they wanted to steer companies in a very artistic direction (ex. the Paramount Pictures CEOs pre-Eisner). Now, it's about greed and flexing about how much you own.

Do you think AI is a threat to animation, and entertainment in general (if government regulations aren't put in place about AI, which they most likely will be soon)?

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
If this video is any indication, we have nothing to worry about AI replacing human animators. LOL.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
We're more likely to see storyboarding outsourced to other countries than done by AI.

Gabby's Dollhouse is being storyboarded in Australia, for instance.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
We're more likely to see storyboarding outsourced to other countries than done by AI.

Gabby's Dollhouse is being storyboarded in Australia, for instance.
For now. Why send something halfway around the world (even digitally) when you can just have some AI program punch up something stateside and have it in five minutes? (this is not an endorsement of this, BTW, this is the logic the higher-ups would use to save a buck)

That animators strike is sounding really good, BTW.

Pooky

Staff member
I'm weary of reading too much into "someone heard someone say" anecdotes on Xitter but...

There are lots of good reasons why AI shouldn't, now or ever, replace animators and other artists.

But there were also lots of good reasons why CG Animation shouldn't have usurped hand drawn. And why CG effects shouldn't have usurped practical. And why greenscreen should not have usurped physical locations and sets to the extent that they have.

Ultimately none of that mattered, the new ways were quicker, easier and didn't stop the hits coming in. That was all that mattered to the people in charge.

I am not equivacating any of this technology with AI. And certainly there is much that CG can do that nothing else can. But that's not why it became all encompassing.

It's far from a foregone conclusion, but it's certainly not to be handwaved away with an "oh, it'll never happen". We've seen plenty of examples of how it could.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
If this video is any indication, we have nothing to worry about AI replacing human animators. LOL.
When you ask an AI to draw a certain background in a certain style and you describe the background well, then it will draw something beautiful. Well, at least in the beginning it's beautiful, eventually you probably start seeing patterns and start missing the original ideas of real people. But that's not something executives care about. We haven't had a new Disney movie with an original art style since the mid 2000s. Since then they have just been copying Pixar's style. People think that CGI is monotonous, but in reality you can do lots of styles with it. Disney has just decided to always do the same. So yes, I am convinced that the use of AI is the next step. Pooky explains it very well IMO.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Wow, I didn't know they made an Henry Christmas special (you know, that one comic strip kid who's bald and has no mouth?)!

CNNickFan

Invader Zim
For now. Why send something halfway around the world (even digitally) when you can just have some AI program punch up something stateside and have it in five minutes? (this is not an endorsement of this, BTW, this is the logic the higher-ups would use to save a buck)

That animators strike is sounding really good, BTW.
And my reaction to that statement would be there are so many different perspectives, angles, designs, line work, etc to use while storyboarding, which are all original drawings by actual humans, something AI can't replicate.

To state the obvious, AI is just a bunch of algorithms thrown together to generate something. The problem is, AI doesn't actually come up with the stuff it generates. It's all taken from hundreds upon thousands of sources.

What's stopping lawsuits when that happens? If one animation company accused another of stealing storyboard revisions, ink and paint, or literal character designs, then what would happen?

I'm no expert when it comes to labor laws, but I sincerely hope replacing jobs for AI is unconstitutional. If it isn't, I hope they set some regulations. These "higher ups" are not actors, directors, artists anymore, like I described earlier. They started as business people and rose to power.

Also,
What in the world is this LMAO. Of course, technology will improve over time, and computers will be able to generate character rigs and timing and framework better. But this just proves my point at how laughable this whole thing is.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts