Alvin Show (1961) character "Tax"

averageGuy32

OK this is pretty obscure but that's what makes this forum fun, right?
I have a brief but pretty clear memory of a character (possibly a one-time appearance) in the classic Alvin Show (probably in a Clyde Crashcup segment). It was a strange-looking man (stout body) with a massive nose whose name may have been "Tacks" or "Tax." I recall him saying "The name's 'Tax'" (maybe he was an IRS agent) and "The nose knows."

I don't see any such character in the IMDB listing for the Alvin Show and haven't found it in general internet searches.
Does anyone else remember this?

Bonus question: Which Crashcup segment had a rough-looking character as a sporting event observer who kept saying "Kill the bum" ?

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

The character you're referring to is Sam Valiant, Private Nose.
Sam Valiant Private Nose.jpg

He had two run-ins with Dave Seville and the Chipmunks: one as a fast-talking detective (hence the "The nose knows"line) and another where he relentlessly pursues Dave to give him a singing contract (this is the short where when Dave asks if he's Sam Valiant, he replies that he's actually 'Tex' Valiant, Sam's "brother"). He never appeared with Clyde as far as I know.

Last edited:

averageGuy32

Yep that's him, thanks!!

Here's the "private nose" episode:

So interesting to contrast him with the faded memory... the sunglasses look familiar, but I remember the nose and torso as being much broader, and the arms as being Popeye-league massive..

Funny that me old brain changed "Tex" to "Tax." Oh well, not too bad for trivia from half a century ago!

Had no memory whatever of him saying "check" over and over.

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
Always liked Sam. He was one of my favorite parts of The Alvin Show (alongside Clyde Crashcup of course). Really wish that the Bagdasarian's brothers would agree with each other, and Viacom would fork up the money for a complete series. It was a lot better and funnier than the later cartoons starring them and those sorry live action-animation hybrid movies starring them.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts