Animators should go on strike!

harry580

yeah, giving all the things that happened to the animation industry (Disney closing blue sky studios, Netflix animation cancelling almost all of their animated movies & shows, Warner bros discovery cartoons tax write offs, Disney animated films bombing in 2022 & show on), I think a strike could happen

TheMisterManGuy

If I'm being honest. I want these strikes to continue for as long as possible. Mostly because the visual entertainment industry has for years been monopolized by giant media conglomerates and bloated unions. It's really time that more options for independent creators become viable.

Moe

yeah, giving all the things that happened to the animation industry (Disney closing blue sky studios, Netflix animation cancelling almost all of their animated movies & shows, Warner bros discovery cartoons tax write offs, Disney animated films bombing in 2022 & show on), I think a strike could happen
Like all other unions, studio unions are focused on wage, health insurance, retirement, bonus and residual. They don't have control with networks and projects that studios make decision with network and greenlight the projects. The union don't make Disney to reopen Blue Sky Studios, make Netflix to un-cancel all of animation projects or make WBD to cancel the tax write-off for contents and pay money with interest back to IRS.

Corporate studios have very deep pockets and they are capable to greenlight the multiple projects that isn't possible if it was independent studios, unless they grow to make a big.

Studios and unions are going to resolve the dispute eventually to end the strike but won't be in studio or union favors like they did with 1988 strike and 2007-2008 strike.

SuperSuck64

Misanthrope Supreme
They should but they can't since two unions can't strike at the same time, and at this point it's become abundantly clear that studios will stubbornly hold on to the bitter end rather than pay a single cent to any of their workers.

Hollywood is crashing and burning spectacularly yet they refuse to compromise for even one second. The strike is never going to end because CEOs would rather die than treat their creatives with even a single iota of respect.

CNNickFan

Invader Zim
Animators COULD go on strike, but is that really a good idea?

These networks/streaming services are pushing animated shows to the side like they aren't a driving force in viewer base, and I really don't think a strike will fix that. Especially since CEOs now act like paying people livable wages is like summoning the devil.

It's sad, yes, but I don't think striking will give corporations like WBD the message. My two cents.

Moe

Animators COULD go on strike, but is that really a good idea?

These networks/streaming services are pushing animated shows to the side like they aren't a driving force in viewer base, and I really don't think a strike will fix that. Especially since CEOs now act like paying people livable wages is like summoning the devil.

It's sad, yes, but I don't think striking will give corporations like WBD the message. My two cents.
You are right, the unions' scopes are pay, benefits (health insurance, pension) and residual.

Outside of scope, the unions have no control with studios and networks, especially schedule, projects and contents. It means unions can't force Nexstar to reverse all changes with The CW nor reopen the Blue Sky Studios.

Tax write-off is very unethical but not illegal. IRS would need to change the rule to remove the write-off for media contents. If IRS lacked the authority, The Congress would have to act and it is unlikely that is going to happen.

Problem is that they outsource the animation abroad in countries with different labour laws.
Yes, studios use those for decades, especially Tom and Jerry were outsourced to European countries in 1960s.

Some studios did outsource during writer strike in 1988.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Problem is that they outsource the animation abroad in countries with different labour laws.
Animators is sometimes (such as this time) used as a broad term that doesn't necessarily just refer to the people doing the actual animation. It's also used to refer to other artists involved in the production.

TsWade2

I don't know if I want animation going on strike, because it might cancel some of the series and movies like Tiana. If animation goes on strike, then this time, please be shorter than the actors and writers strike. Or if Bob Iger and other business people are so smart (Which I doubt with David Zaslav), they need to learn what they've done with the actors and writers and make a quick fair deal with animators in the right way before this apocalyptic strike happens again!

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts