"Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime)" Animated Series News & Discussion Part 2 (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Coming soon, a new Batman animated series from Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves will premiere exclusively on Amazon Prime.

artworklarge.jpg

HBO Max and Cartoon Network have greenlit a straight to series order for Batman: Caped Crusader, an all-new animated series and reimagining of the Batman mythology through the visionary lens of executive producers Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves and produced by Warner Bros. Animation (WBA), Bad Robot Productions and 6th & Idaho. The news was announced today by Tom Ascheim, President, Warner Bros. Global Kids, Young Adults and Classics (GKYAC) and Sam Register, President, Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) and Cartoon Network Studios (CNS).
Executive Producers Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves said: “We are beyond excited to be working together to bring this character back, to tell engrossing new stories in Gotham City. The series will be thrilling, cinematic and evocative of Batman’s noir roots, while diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters. We cannot wait to share this new world.”
Tom Ascheim said: “It is always fun to feed the insatiable appetite fans have for all things Batman. Batman: Caped Crusader will entertain first time and die-hard fans alike and, with such an impressive creative team in place, we know we have another future Batman classic in the making.”

Full press release available at The World's Finest.

Part 1 can be found here.

Stay tuned for further updates!

Last edited:

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
Is it just me, or is anyone else shocked that a Batman series is in development for over two years and we've got literally no updates aside from a few Tweets? In the past there was always a steady stream of details, interviews, images, etc. whenever Bruce Timm and the creative team was hard at work. This time no publicity. Nothing.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was cancelled again.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Is it just me, or is anyone else shocked that a Batman series is in development for over two years and we've got literally no updates aside from a few Tweets? In the past there was always a steady stream of details, interviews, images, etc. whenever Bruce Timm and the creative team was hard at work. This time no publicity. Nothing.

We are dealing with a different PR apparatus than we have before. It's not just WBA and CN or Warner's streaming service. It's a completely outside company from the Warner tree, Amazon Prime. In comparison, Merry Little Batman which will also be on Prime. Their last PR was in April. We got details in June thanks to the Annecy Festival. October. So it took 6 months for a new PR item to come out. We can expect the same with Caped Crusader. As for the creative team, Timm is famously not on social media (but gets impersonated a lot), Brubaker does not (but his occasional newsletters mention the show), and James Tucker while has a twitter keeps his on private. So wouldn't count much on updates on social media from creatives. I can try and tweet Tucker later today to see if he can give any vague updates. But for all we know they are under a strict NDA. EDIT: Yep, Tucker only replied with a smiley with it's lips zipped. lol.

Last edited:

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I wonder if being forced to shop to a different distributor caused the show's development to be delayed. It's likely they've had to halt production in the event of the worst case scenario. At least Superman got off easy.

Still, considering both this and MAWS were announced at the same time, you would think they'd have a good chunk of production completed by now, especially since the other show aired its first season already. You would think they'd have SOMETHING to show off, at the very least.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wonder if being forced to shop to a different distributor caused the show's development to be delayed. It's likely they've had to halt production in the event of the worst case scenario. At least Superman got off easy.

Still, considering both this and MAWS were announced at the same time, you would think they'd have a good chunk of production completed by now, especially since the other show aired its first season already. You would think they'd have SOMETHING to show off, at the very least.
No, not really. Yes, it was announced in May 2021 but after that was recruiting the showrunners and writers and pre-production. We know from what's been said by staff so far is they started development and scripting in October 2021. By January 2022, the writer's room wrapped. Starting hiring the crew in March. Drafts were being submitted by at least 1 writer in March. Casting started. By May, they were working on the last scripts of season 1 and voice recording was about to begin. By July, Brubaker was nearly done with all his writing duties. More hiring in August. Crew like board artists and background designers started work in September. By the end of November, they had roughly half the season's animatics and all voice recording was done. It was stated by Brubaker I think that Max not carrying them and being shopped around did not affect their production. This past June, it was said at the Annecy Festival, some animation was shown but the audience was told it was early animation, not finalized animation. Animation takes roughly one year give or take. So give or take, right now, they should be just starting to be getting completed episodes from overseas/starting post and/or already have the first few in the can. So no, I don't think a trailer is anywhere happening yet and based on all these insights from staff in interviews and their social media over the past 2 years, production is chugging along at a normal, standard pace.

My Adventures with Superman may have been announced at the same time but was way ahead in its production compared to Caped Crusader. My Adventures started voice recording in 2020. In November 2021, storyboard artists started (in September 2022, storyboard artists started for Caped). In August 2022, the actors were already doing ADR so already way ahead of Caped Crusader which had started recording around the same time.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The aura of mystery around this show has me super intrigued. I almost don't want to know a single other thing about it until it airs. Maybe I should avoid any inevitable trailers. Just see this thing fresh. It sounds like they have something.

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
I can't believe in the age of unending and unwanted internet spoilers a show is actually getting dragged for running a tight ship with no leaks. That's a GOOD thing, folks. Impressive, actually. Not something to criticize.

Something special is in the offing. Can't you feel it?
That's the problem. I can't.

In preparation for my new website [cough, cough], I've been archiving all the interviews and materials related to the DCAU in its heyday. I was shocked by the sheer volume of it. By comparison, this time there's nothing.

This was a show that was teased nearly three years ago, then it was cancelled by Warner Bros. and later picked up by Amazon. I wrote eight essays speculating about it. But now, every couple of months, all we get is "It's coming ... soonish!" I'm sorry, until we get an official release date, it doesn't feel "real" to me anymore.

I don't want spoilers. I just want some sort of sign that it's still coming.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I grew up before the internet, and being a fan of stuff like this made info about genre extremely tough to come by back then. I think current fans take a lot for granted. Maybe you are right that we should be hearing more at this point. But I seem to recall My Adventures Of Superman didn't come out with a ton of behind the scenes hubbub either. It just suddenly had a trailer and then was on Adult Swim. It's possible it's the extended contract negotiations with Prime that are the hold-up. Until I hear from a confirmed source it's canceled, I still believe it's coming.

By the way, this was my outlook during the ENTIRE Toon Zone outage, and I was apparently the only person I talked to who felt that way. Keep the faith. Being a nerd can be hard, but it's sometimes rewarding.

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
I grew up before the internet, and being a fan of stuff like this made info about genre extremely tough to come by back then.
I did too. I was a regular reader of Starlog, Comics Scene, and Wizard Magazine. There was less info, but if you knew where to look you’d find something.

Look, I know it will come out eventually. I’m just burnt out from waiting.

ShadowStar

I can't believe in the age of unending and unwanted internet spoilers a show is actually getting dragged for running a tight ship with no leaks. That's a GOOD thing, folks. Impressive, actually. Not something to criticize.
I agree with this! I am not going to jump to any conclusions by suggesting that this will be a "special" show -- we can't be sure of its quality -- but I agree wholeheartedly that it's a good thing that the show is shrouded with secrecy. I'm tired of the endless leaks and spoilers that pervade other series and movies...

Karkull said:
Look, I know it will come out eventually. I’m just burnt out from waiting.
I suppose I can understand this, because I don't tend to enjoy waiting a long time for something that's highly anticipated (e.g. Young Justice season 4 -- there was a wait of over two years for that). I try to be a bit passive about waiting for these things and not chase updates as much as I likely used to, since as you say that can lead to feeling burnt out.

colomb

I'm pretty sure Tucker mentioned (Twitter maybe) pre-merger the possibility of the show not debuting until 2024.

Frontier

Staff member
We know designs for Batman, Alfred, Barbara (and maybe Gordon?) were released somewhere, so I'm expecting we'll probably see those turn up eventually.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
As Yojimbo highlighted, we are dealing with an outside party now when it comes to Amazon Prime Video. With My Adventures with Superman dominating the narrative in the Summer, Invincible season two set to drop this November and Merry Little Batman in December, 2023 would never have been the correct time to drop teases about this show.

All good things come to those who wait. WB/Prime Video will be looking for the best release window that will maximise visibility on this show.

I truly feel that they dropped the initial announcement early to quell the B:TAS revival rumors that were gaining traction, but they were still in very, very early pre-production.

Just for reference this is the longest we have ever waited for a WB Animation show since an announcement:

1.) Green Eggs and Ham (Announced April 19th 2015 - Premieres November 8th 2019)
4 Years and 6 Months
2.) Gremlins Secret of the Mogwai (Announced February 25th 2019 - Premiered May 23rd 2023)
4 Years and 3 Months
3.) Batman: Caped Crusader (Announced May 21st 2021 - ?)
Almost 2 and a half years and counting

They are not shrouding it in mystery. They just have nothing to show... yet.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

b.t. liked my comment. For whatever that's worth.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
As Yojimbo highlighted, we are dealing with an outside party now when it comes to Amazon Prime Video. With My Adventures with Superman dominating the narrative in the Summer, Invincible season two set to drop this November and Merry Little Batman in December, 2023 would never have been the correct time to drop teases about this show.

All good things come to those who wait. WB/Prime Video will be looking for the best release window that will maximise visibility on this show.

I truly feel that they dropped the initial announcement early to quell the B:TAS revival rumors that were gaining traction, but they were still in very, very early pre-production.

Just for reference this is the longest we have ever waited for a WB Animation show since an announcement:

1.) Green Eggs and Ham (Announced April 19th 2015 - Premieres November 8th 2019)
4 Years and 6 Months
2.) Gremlins Secret of the Mogwai (Announced February 25th 2019 - Premiered May 23rd 2023)
4 Years and 3 Months
3.) Batman: Caped Crusader (Announced May 21st 2021 - ?)
Almost 2 and a half years and counting

They are not shrouding it in mystery. They just have nothing to show... yet.
Well, let's hope we won't have to wait until 2025 for this show. Though I was thinking September 19 or 20, 2024 as my guess for the series premiere of Caped Crusader because it's the week of Batman Day and looking at Invincible, their shows premiered on a Thursday and Friday and Vox Machina on Fridays (though I admit I still have to look at other animated series on Prime and their dates). While back in October 2021 at DC Fandome, the show was said to be coming out in 2023, the production tidbits we've gotten that I Iisted in a previous post doesn't seem to support that. In comparison My Adventures with Superman started in 2020 and premiered in July 2023. Caped Crusader appears to have roughly started around October 2021, so a late Fall 2024 premiere would make some sense as it is a 10 episode season, too. Late September/Early October 2024.

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian

Not yet, no. Nothing against the show, but there just isn't much to go on yet. I hope it's great, and if the show looks like the initial BT art that was released, I'll be a very happy man. But I just don't know much about what we're getting. I'll get more excited when we see more art, hear who the voice cast is, and learn what the titles/premises are for the episodes. And I'm sure whenever a trailer finally drops, I'll watch & analyze it like it's the Zapruder film. But for now, I don't know much besides "New Batman animated show, BT, Ed Brubaker, and James Tucker, are all involved."

So no, I don't think a trailer is anywhere happening yet and based on all these insights from staff in interviews and their social media over the past 2 years, production is chugging along at a normal, standard pace.
According to the notes I have in my DCAU Production Chronology, WBA started development on what became BTAS in 1990 and production officially started in November of 1990. And we didn't see much of anything from the show until sometime in months before its premiere on September 5th, 1992.

These things take time. We just have a skewed perception because we often don't hear about these projects until they're about ready to premiere. I suppose I can talk about this now: BT told me about Batman and Harley Quinn when I interviewed him in March of 2017, shortly after it had been announced and about a week after they'd finished production. Only the title had been announced that point, but BT confirmed to me off the record that it was in the BTAS style. It ended up premiering that July at the San Diego Comic Con, was released to theaters for one night that August, and was commercially available by September. So that was in production for probably at least a year or two before anyone outside of WBA ever heard about it.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Is there any stories or characters you want to see in this show? There are have 4 Batman cartoons since 1992, but it's been 10 years since the last Batman cartoon, which was short lived and somewhat unusual in terms of story choices.

There are have been changes in Batman since 2013. If this show would be a little darker than Batman the animated series, but not too dark.

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
Is there any stories or characters you want to see in this show?
It would be cool to see Black Mask on the series, since I feel he was unfortunately overlooked on BTAS. And what the heck, let's see Silver St. Cloud, too.

I don't particularly want to see more recent Bat-villains like Hush, Zsasz, or Professor Pyg show up, though, as none of them do anything for me.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts