"Blue Exorcist" News & Discussion Thread

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Via Toonami Faithful:

Lately, rumors have been going around of a possible continuation of the Blue Exorcist anime series, which was helped by the official Blue Exorcist site launching an official countdown which was set to end on Sunday. We were likely going to know if those rumors were true during Anime Expo, but thanks to an early leak of the newest manga issue, it’s confirmed that a second season of Blue Exorcist is indeed in the works.

abbf8790b1d168123beb86623223cdd21467200588_full.jpg

Light Lucario

Staff member
That's pretty cool. I did enjoy watching the first series on Toonami and again when I rewatched it On Demand. It wasn't terrific, but it was pretty enjoyable for the most part.

Although, I'm not sure how they could make a continuation from that series when the last handful of episodes were anime only and most people thought we'd get some kind of Brotherhood style second series instead. Still, it sounds cool and I'll probably check it out whenever the show will most likely air on Toonami at some point.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Although, I'm not sure how they could make a continuation from that series when the last handful of episodes were anime only and most people thought we'd get some kind of Brotherhood style second series instead. Still, it sounds cool and I'll probably check it out whenever the show will most likely air on Toonami at some point.

They're probably going to pull a Black Butler, and just ignore the last few episodes from where it diverged from the manga.

Anyway, I wish I could be hyped, but the arc that this season is going to cover is my least favorite in the whole series, and it won't feel satisfying as a whole show, IMO.

Light Lucario

Staff member
They're probably going to pull a Black Butler, and just ignore the last few episodes from where it diverged from the manga.

Anyway, I wish I could be hyped, but the arc that this season is going to cover is my least favorite in the whole series, and it won't feel satisfying as a whole show, IMO.

Yeah, that would make sense. I've heard of a few other series that got a new season that basically ignored episodes that weren't from the manga. That's probably easier to manage than starting from the beginning again, especially when not every series is popular enough to get the Brotherhood treatment. I've heard mixed things about the upcoming arc. Some people liked it, while others didn't, so I don't know how I'd feel about it.

Gold Guy

Staff member
I've heard mixed things about the upcoming arc. Some people liked it, while others didn't, so I don't know how I'd feel about it.

Well, I won't say too much, since Toonami will probably air it, but my biggest problem was the pacing. The arc lasted over a year in manga form (over 19 chapters!) Keep in mind, the manga was monthly. It felt like it went on forever.

Also, Rin isn't even the main character, and it didn't feel like it progressed the plot much. :p

Mr. Daniel

Back (but just occasionally)
Another season, another anime of Bryce Paprenbrook failing to voiceact anger properly!

Anyways, as someone who's in the middle of Blue Exorcist. This couldn't be at a better time for me.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well, I won't say too much, since Toonami will probably air it, but my biggest problem was the pacing. The arc lasted over a year in manga form (over 19 chapters!) Keep in mind, the manga was monthly. It felt like it went on forever.

Also, Rin isn't even the main character, and it didn't feel like it progressed the plot much. :p

I could see how the pacing would be rather slow with a monthly schedule like that. The pacing might be better with a weekly anime series though.

Rin not being the main character doesn't sound like a huge negative to me. I didn't dislike Rin, but he wasn't my favorite character either. He was just okay. Although, the arc not progressing the plot that much would be a pretty big problem. I'll just have to see how it turns out whenever Toonami airs it. It will probably be made available streaming when it's airing in Japan, but I don't know if I'd do that since I'm more familiar with the dub and I'm not a huge fan of the series either, even though I did enjoy it.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
So I guess this trailer cropped up a few weeks ago.

And it premieres...today.

Light Lucario

Staff member
The trailers for this new season have looked pretty nice and the voice acting from the Japanese cast is pretty good too. I've thought of watching the subbed version, but I suspect that it will be on Toonami at some point or another, so I'm okay with waiting longer to see the new season.

Gold Guy

Staff member
I’ll be watching, but I hope they speed up releasing these. The manga is waaaayyyy ahead. We have enough content for three more seasons after this one.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I’ll be watching, but I hope they speed up releasing these. The manga is waaaayyyy ahead. We have enough content for three more seasons after this one.
I have to rewatch both seasons. I don't remember any of it. What was the reason for the anime taking so long to continue again? I think it was something like a perfect storm of multiple reasons like they started the anime too soon and had to wait for more manga, the season 1 finale was polarizing, the series never hit mainstream popularity, the creator put it on pause to work on another series then resumed, etc.

Gold Guy

Staff member
I have to rewatch both seasons. I don't remember any of it. What was the reason for the anime taking so long to continue again? I think it was something like a perfect storm of multiple reasons like they started the anime too soon and had to wait for more manga, the season 1 finale was polarizing, the series never hit mainstream popularity, the creator put it on pause to work on another series then resumed, etc.

A lot of people use the anime came out too soon excuse, but that definitely isn’t true. The first season only adapted around 4 volumes, and I believe there were already around 7 to 8 volumes worth of chapters at the time. That, on top of the anime original ending, leaves me to think they hadn’t initially ever planned to do a second season, but the manga was popular enough that they ended up reversing that decision later.

As for why they still take long breaks? Your guess is as good as mine, but they have no excuse. There are nearly 30 volumes so far, and the anime has adapted less than ten as of now.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Staff member
Reporter
Interesting how this is finally getting another season. Toonami never touched season two. The manga has been paced glacially and took a long break that killed the flow even more. I am surprised they keep doing seasons. 6 years between season one and two, and now 7 years since season two.

Violt

Interesting how this is finally getting another season. Toonami never touched season two. The manga has been paced glacially and took a long break that killed the flow even more. I am surprised they keep doing seasons. 6 years between season one and two, and now 7 years since season two.

As of this post/writing it has been 6 years. I watched the second season when it was airing back in 2017. I had wondered about this show. There were things in the plot that hadn't been explored yet. Welcome back Blue Exorcist.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts