"Captain Marvel" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Release Date: March 8, 2019

captainmarvellogo2.jpg
captainmarvellogo.jpg

B1DkdmKCUAAfAOD.jpg
Yes, it is Carol Danvers

“This Captain Marvel’s name is Carol Danvers," said Feige. "This film has been in the works almost as long as Doctor Strange or Guardians of the Galaxy before it came out, and one of the key things was figuring out what we wanted to do with it. Her adventures are very earthbound, but her powers are based in the cosmic realm.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Dudley

Staff member
I'm glad they picked her over giving Black Widow her own movie. With super strength, flight, and the ability to shoot lasers, this will be very cool to see. I mean I know she's nothing like Superman, but it'll be interesting to see how similar the cinematic experience will be. What with the flying, and the fights with possible massive collateral damage.

Frontier

Staff member
Too bad we didn't get to see any concept art like we did for Black Panther, but I'm happy to see Carol getting her own movie :).

I wonder if this film will address her origins at all? I guess my biggest question though, is if they'll even bother addressing Mar-Vell :sweat:?

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Awesome! Carol Danvers is literally my favorite Marvel heroine, and I've been waiting for this for awhile.

I hope Marvel uses this film to introduce SWORD, SHIELD's space counterpart.

Frontier

Staff member
Awesome! Carol Danvers is literally my favorite Marvel heroine, and I've been waiting for this for awhile.

I hope Marvel uses this film to introduce SWORD, SHIELD's space counterpart.
Actually, considering what happened to SHIELD, if SWORD was an extension of it wouldn't it have been de-sanctioned or shut down as well?

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Well, I assumed that by then, SHIELD would have returned, at least partially. And that now, they would realize the importance of having a division to deal with aliens.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Depends on if NASA is around in the MCU otherwise who would have the assets to go up into space and shut them down? ;P

the greenman

I know very little about this Captain Marvel. Didn't even know that much about Monica, but they just seem to be members of Avengers as opposed to solo heroines. Does Captain Marvel even have a rogue gallery? Arch nemesis?

Frontier

Staff member
I know very little about this Captain Marvel. Didn't even know that much about Monica, but they just seem to be members of Avengers as opposed to solo heroines. Does Captain Marvel even have a rogue gallery? Arch nemesis?
I'm pretty sure all the characters who could be called Carol's archenemy (Mystique, Deathbird) are all owned by Fox :sweat:.

Though Mar-Vell's archenemy was traditionally Thanos... so maybe that might carry over, and Carol's movie might prove integral to the lead-up to Infinity War?

RoryWilliams

Carol has had several solo series over the years and she does have her own (small) pool of enemies. The likely candidate is Yon-Rogg, a Kree villain who is partially responsible for giving her powers in the first place. Plus there's always the chance that Deathbird could be a joint-owned character like the Maximoff twins and the Skrulls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
Oh, yeah! Yon-Rogg could definitely work too :).

I wonder if they would alter Carol's origin to where Yon-Rogg is the Kree spy that Carol discovers, and that her attempts to stop him from reporting back to the Kree end with her getting her powers?

the greenman

I suspect that alot of these films are not necessarily set up to be franchises, but one-offs. Ant-Man seems to be in that category, and probably was lways meant to introduce him for the 2nd incarnation of the Avengers. As much as I think Ant-Man has legs as a franchise, I don't know about Lang. Had they started with Pym and Janet I could see other stories in sequels. I don't think they plan for a BP or Strange franchise, similar to Hulk, though they have a small rogue gallery. I'm thinking Captain Marvel is in that category unfortunately.

RoryWilliams

I don't think so at all. I think they're approaching a point where they're going to have to generate new franchises because there's only so many Captain America and Thor sequels you can spit out before people lose interest.

Ant-Man I don't think was introduced with the intention of the Avengers OR becoming a franchise. It's been reiterated at multiple points that the movie has been in various stages of development since even before Iron Man, so it was just a matter of finally getting it made, not making it a teaser for an Avengers team-up. I do think it's a low priority for Marvel though given all the trouble its had.

the greenman

That's true, we know they said they wanted to build up a "bench". Though, not sure exactly how they will fare in storytelling. Thor feels like a good example of just continuing a franchise with so-called filler stories. I hope I'm wrong in hindsight.

ms78

Do you think the new Ms Marvel will be used in the Captain Marvel sequel or do you think they will use her as part of the Inhumans franchise.

Frontier

Staff member
Captain Marvel is their first female-lead Superhero movie and Carol Danvers has a sizable fan base (The Carol Corps) that's kept her book going despite sales, so I doubt Marvel Studios is planning for the movie to be a one-shot and not a franchise generator :sweat:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts