Cartoon Cartoons VS. Nicktoons

Game Freak 4

TV Tropes is Ruining My Life!
During the late 90's, I always see a war between Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. I think there was a Cartoon Cartoon/Nicktoon that matched and rivaled each other.

Cow & Chicken VS Ren & Stimpy

Camp Lazlo VS Catsratch

Samurai Jack VS Avatar: The Last Airbender

What-A-Cartoon Show VS Oh Yeah! Cartoons

Jonny Bravo VS Hey, Arnold!

Dexter's Laboratory VS Jimmy Neutron: Boy Geinus

etc.

Well, what do you guys think?

I even pictured the characters as members of Team Magma & Team Aqua.

Anthonynotes

Interpreting the vaguely-written remarks above as "which series of cartoons do I like better?"....

If it were the 1990s, would probably say Cartoon Cartoons were better (though liked earlier Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy, etc. as well).

These days, I go with Nicktoons---would much rather watch SpongeBob SquarePants or (especially) The Fairly OddParents over any of the current/recent crop of now-no-longer-named-Cartoon Cartoons (Camp Lazlo, Billy and Mandy, Kids Next Door, etc.).

-B.

Fan of Sponge

Here's my opinions.

Ren & Stimpy would win easily. There's the ones that laid the foundation of slap stick and crued humor. Cow & Chicken was another one of the by-products.

Camp Lazlo would beat Catscratch. Joe Murry's cartoons are really good. Besides there's a more wide variety of characters and more plotlines involving kids at summer camp. Catscratch is a work in progress.

Avatar beats Samurai. I'm sorry but there is more indept socializing in between characters in Avatar. Plus the animation is one of the best around. When you more characters along your side most of the time, it's more interesting than one man fighting for a cause. It can get boring, fast.

Oh! Yeah, over the longtime has created more cartoons that captures viewers. However, What a Cartoon Show wins because it begins CN's Cartoon Cartoons block which has continued on for the last ten years with over a dozen toons in which half of them I enjoy watching.

I've always enjoyed Hey Arnold, sorry.:shrug:

Jimmy Nuetron is a complete rip-off to Dexter. Dexter start a new genre of kids having a secret side in their lives. Plus an annoying sister and a rival makes a cartoon enjoyable for the family.

Game Freak 4

Well, you have an opinion. I also want to ask is there more match-ups and rivalries between the two networks?

Teknomancer

ToonCop 3000
IMO, Jimmy Neutron is better than any Cartoon Cartoons ever made, but apart from that one show, I prefer the Cartoon Cartoons over the 'equivalent' Nicktoons!!

judyindisguise

I loved Samurai Jack, but I gotta say Avatar rules it, because of the aforementioned character interaction, and the fact that the storyline is more involving. But that's not a swipe at Jack. He was excellent in his own way.

Dexter vs. Jimmy, hmmm. Well, IMO, Dexter was funnier. But JN is better-crafted overall. I'd say it's a tossup. But I'd love it if a "Dexter Z" a la "Powerpuff Girls Z" were created. Dexter really needs to come back IMO. I saw a "bump" on CN the other day where Dexter was walking down the street with Bloo and it started raining. Dexter turned the rain into jellybeans, which both he and Bloo found painful and they both ran like hell. It was sooooo good to see Dexter again.

Ren and Stimpy rule Cow and Chicken. No contest. But it really hurt to see how badly R & S ended. It all became "how gross can we be this week" instead of focusing on the inimitable cat/dog chemistry. That was where the laughs really were. And as for that "Adult Party" thing...gahhh....:eek:

I detest Camp Lazlo and dislike Catscratch.

Hey Arnold over Johnny Bravo. Never got into Johnny. A blonde Elvis wannabe who lives with his mom. Where's the comedy?

Looneytunes

I can see "Catscratch" as a bigger completor of "Ed, Edd and Eddy". The plots are similar: there is a trio with an idiotic one, good minded one, and greedy one who is obsessed with money.

I can see "Camp Lazlo" as an actual completor of "Rocko's Modern Life".

Looneytunes (Disneytoons)

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
Fan of Sponge said:
Jimmy Nuetron is a complete rip-off to Dexter. Dexter start a new genre of kids having a secret side in their lives
I'm sorry, what? No it didn't. I think you're thinking about Spiderman who started the whole "kid with a secret great power/secrets". And even then, Dexter and Jimmy Neutron aren't even relevant to Spiderman at all. Jimmy's gift isn't even a secret so it doesn't even fit with what you're decribing.

Anyway, I tend to prefer Nicktoons on a whole. The only shows Cartoon Network has I currently watch are Kids Next Door and Billy and Mandy. I find Jimmy Neutron much better written than Dexter's Lab (JN has character development, nice animation, continuity, and has a more satire/witty humor than Dexter does, which I enjoy more than crude/slapstick humor) I also prefer Avatar to Samurai Jack (which I find highly overrated) and Hey Arnold was great.

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
Jimmy's gift isn't even a secret so it doesn't even fit with what you're decribing

So is Dexter's. His knowledge is well know to his peers and family. It's his LAB that's a secret. Big difference.

HG Revolution

Truth (with crazy opinions!)
Ren and Stimpy is better than Cow and Chicken (talking about the Nick episodes, anyway).

I don't like either Lazlo or Catscratch.

While both Jack and Avatar are great, my personal taste favors Jack slightly more.

The Chicken from Outer Space alone puts What a Cartoon ahead of Oh Yeah.

Johnny Bravo and Hey Arnold have nothing in common outside of Craig Bartlett. Why compare them?

And Dexter is greater than Jimmy Newtron in every way possible.

Anthonynotes

I think you're thinking about Spiderman who started the whole "kid with a secret great power/secrets". And even then, Dexter and Jimmy Neutron aren't even relevant to Spiderman at all. Jimmy's gift isn't even a secret so it doesn't even fit with what you're decribing.

Actually, I'd say Superboy (the original Kal-El version) predates Spider-Man on the "kid with secret great power/secrets" front (Superboy debuted in 1944, Spidey in 1962). :)

Game Freak 4 said:
During the late 90's, I always see a war between Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. I think there was a Cartoon Cartoon/Nicktoon that matched and rivaled each other.

Cow & Chicken VS Ren & Stimpy

Camp Lazlo VS Catsratch

Samurai Jack VS Avatar: The Last Airbender

What-A-Cartoon Show VS Oh Yeah! Cartoons

Jonny Bravo VS Hey, Arnold!

Dexter's Laboratory VS Jimmy Neutron: Boy Geinus

etc.

Well, what do you guys think?

I even pictured the characters as members of Team Magma & Team Aqua.

Oh, a "which do we like better" thing was the original question. Very well:

>>Cow & Chicken VS Ren & Stimpy

Ren and Stimpy easily... didn't care much for Cow and Chicken from what I saw of it.

>>Camp Lazlo VS Catsratch

Neither---not really seen Catscratch, and disliked what I saw of Camp Lazlo...

>>Samurai Jack VS Avatar: The Last Airbender

Samurai Jack.

>>What-A-Cartoon Show VS Oh Yeah! Cartoons

Guess What-A-Cartoon Show (since it spawned a pile of popular Cartoon Cartoons).

>>Jonny Bravo VS Hey, Arnold!

Johnny Bravo.

>>Dexter's Laboratory VS Jimmy Neutron: Boy Geinus

While I like both, I'm going with Dexter's Laboratory, the show which predates the rest of the CN lineup and CN itself (and indirectly from whence the various "Cartoon Cartoons" came). ;-)

-B.

Teknomancer

ToonCop 3000
I would have to say that Jimmy Neutron does indeed take some ideas from Dexter, but its definitely no rip-off... There are so many other differences that doesn't classify it as a blatant rip-off. Also, Jimmy's animation and artwork is superior to Dexter, not that it matters in having a favourite but one gets the feeling more work has gone into Jimmy than Dexter.

Regarding humour, yeah both are good. Dexter is probably a bit more hilarious but Jimmy's friends (Sheen and Carl) provide a lot of humour that definitely comes close to Dexter's. But it all depends on a person-by-person basis. I find a lot of Carl's and Sheen's antics funny, some people don't ....

So while humour is quite subjective, I'd say that Dexter is just a tad funnier. I love both the shows and I can go for a whole month on just these 2 cartoons!!!

:D

Game Freak 4

I wasn't really making a " which one do you like better" thread. I was just trying to make a matched-up rivaly. First, I got to find out the names of all the Cartoon Cartoons/Nicktoons that were made from time to time.

...maybe I should make a Fox Kids/FoxBox/4KidsTV/Kids WB match-up.

Starsky

He's probably hiding a cow!
Teknomancer said:
Also, Jimmy's animation and artwork is superior to Dexter, not that it matters in having a favourite but one gets the feeling more work has gone into Jimmy than Dexter.
...You're kidding, right?

kempobot

i'm suprised that no one has mentioned fosters, unless this is strictly late 90's. imo, fosters owns any cartoon mentioned here... anyway here are a couple more match-ups i just thought of:

powerpuff girls vs. my life as a teenage robot
kids next door vs. rugrats
invader zim vs. billy and mandy

HG Revolution

Truth (with crazy opinions!)
kempobot said:
i'm suprised that no one has mentioned fosters, unless this is strictly late 90's. imo, fosters owns any cartoon mentioned here... anyway here are a couple more match-ups i just thought of:

Though I like both shows, PPG beats My Life as a Teenage Robot.

And although I hate both shows, Rugrats is slightly superior to Kids Next Door.

Invader ZIM is the greatest, although Billy and Mandy can be funny as well.

Game Freak 4

kempobot said:

Those are pretty good match-ups. I was also think of...
...What ever happened to Robot Jones? VS My Life as a Teenage Robot...
...myself.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts