Cartoon Series That Had Shading On The Characters

disman00911

I've noticed that most modern-day cartoon series of the last 10-15 years or so have no shading on the characters. They typically have flat colors. This was also the case throughout animation in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, and (for the most part) 1980s as the characters lacked shading on the characters.

Most Warner Brothers cartoons from the 1990s like "Tiny Toons", "Batman TAS", "Animaniacs", "Pinky and the Brain", "Superman TAS" and "Batman Beyond" featured shadings on the characters. There were exceptions like "Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries" and "Taz-Mania", where the characters did not have shading. In the case of "Tiny Toons", there was some inconsistency as some episodes featured the characters with shading while other episodes did not have shading due to the show being animated by different studios. Early-to-mid 2000s WB cartoons like "Justice League" and "Teen Titans" also have shading. (in contrast of the latter show, its recent reboot show "Teen Titans Go" has no shading on the characters).

In contrast, most Disney TV cartoons of the 1990s and 2000s didn't have shading on the characters. The few that did that did include "Gargoyles" and "Buzz Lightyear Star Command". Of course, the big budget Renaissance-era films like "Beauty and the Beast", "Aladdin" and "the Lion King" did feature shading on the characters but I'm focused more on the television cartoons produced by Disney rather than the films of that era.

Most Nicktoons of the 1990s and 2000s had no shadings on the characters. The only ones that I can think of that did in some sort were "the Angry Beavers" and "Invader Zim". Same is true with Cartoon Network and its predecessor Hanna-Barbara, where virtually every show had no shading on the characters.

It varies with Anime as some shows like "Dragon Ball Z" and "Pokemon" have some shadings on the characters.

A few other cartoons I noticed has some sort of shading:
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" (both the 1987 version and the 2003 version)
"Inspector Gadget" (1983 version)
"Spiderman" (1994 version)
"X-Men" (1992 version)
"Captain Planet"
"Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM" and "Sonic Underground" (in contrast "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" had no shadings on the characters).

The only time "The Simpsons" would had shading on the characters on the TV series was during dark scenes with lights or candles. The 2007 film did feature shading on the characters.

Any other cartoon (Western or Anime) any one can think of that had shading on the characters?

Last edited:

disman00911

I just now realized the "Klasky Csupo"-produced Nicktoons like "The Wild Thornberrys", "Ahhh Real Monsters", "Rocket Power", and "As Told By Ginger" all used some sort of shadings. "Rugrats", on the other hand, never really used shading expect for the Hannakah special and the three big-feature films.

While I already mentioned the WB cartoons of the 90s, I should also mention "Freakazoid", "Road Rovers" and "Hysteria". Unlike the original 90s show, the 2020 reboot of "Animaniacs" does not feature shading on the characters.

Other anime shows that used shading include "Yu-Gi-Oh" and "Digimon".

"What's New Scooby-Doo" and many of the direct-to-video "Scooby-Doo" movies from 1998 onward used shading.

While the 1980s "Alvin and the Chipmunks" show did not feature shading, the few "Alvin" specials from the 1990s and the two "Alvin meets Universal monsters" direct-to-video films did had shading.

Some episodes of "GI Joe" and "The Real Ghostbusters" used shading.

Some other cartoon shows that used shadings:
"The Spooktacluar Adventures of Casper"
"Where On Earth is Carmen San Diego"
"Men in Black"
"Biker Mice From Mars"
"Extreme Ghostbusters"
"Avatar: The Last Airbender"
"Swat Katz"
"Earthworm Jim"
"The Boondocks"
"Totally Spies"
"Sabrina: The Animated Series" (based on the 90s sitcom)
"The Incredible Hulk" (1996 version)
"Fantastic Four" (1994 version)
"Jackie Chan Adventures"
"Street Sharks"
"Tom and Jerry Kids" and its spinoff "Droopy: Master Detective"

Finally, the 1940s Superman cartoons by Fleisher Studios also used shading (a rarity among cartoons from the golden age of animation of the 1930s/1940s/1950s).

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Lots of action and mystery cartoons have shadings: Code Lyoko, W.I.T.C.H., Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, Generator Rex, nearly everything mentioned here...

What's the newest American comedy cartoon series with shadings? : P

chocolate

Mentally Still in 2016
I believe G.I. Joe: Renegades, which aired on The Hub, had shading

disman00911

Just thought of another cartoon that had shading" "Dragon Tales".

Also, the intro/opening sequence to the 1991 Super Mario World cartoon had shadings on the characters but the show itself (and the other "Mario" cartoons before it) feature no shadings.

Dylan James Yi

The Dilbert animated TV series did used shading, the second/final season of the 1996 animated series of Dennis and Gnasher also had this.

Many Ben 10 series and the 2016 reboot of the original 2005 series also had this.

The current opening sequence of The Simpsons since the mid-season 20 onwards had this shading similar to the film The Simpsons Movie.

The last two seasons of Dora the Explorer used this shading while the first six seasons don't have this (aside from many dark/shining scenes and Backpack scenes starting with "El Coquí").

Some other anime shows with shading that I know for sure like Cyborg Kuro-chan, Kaiketsu Zorori (and it's revival Motto! Majimeni Fumajime Kaiketsu Zorori), Omakase! Miracle Cat-dan, Animal Yokochō, etc.

The last four seasons of the Rugrats spin-off All Grown Up! uses shading and the two Tales from the Crib episodes also used this due to being in the same style as the said one.

The Cramp Twins does have shading on this.

Despite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog not having shading, the 1996 special finale Sonic Christmas Blast did use this (similar to the Sonic SatAM series).

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts