Cartoons Where Teenagers Act More Like Children

AnimatedFan01

Normally any form of media featuring teenagers as part of the main cast deals with average aspects related to adolescence, such as high school, identity formation (transitioning from a child slowly into an adult), puberty, body image and self-consciousness, sexuality, dating/romance and relationships, emotionally distancing from one's family, and wanting to follow the crowd. Even cartoons aimed at kids will have teenage main characters go through these challenges (minus the aspects of sexuality and other explicit themes of puberty which wouldn't be appropriate to address in a kids show non-discreetly), though they will usually make the teens have a "cool" element to appeal to young children, and that involves being superheroes, skaters, surfers, etc.

My question is: are there any cartoons where teens don't act in a stereotypical way or deal with adolescent challenges (okay, the romance and relationships are permissible to a degree, as even young children before puberty have crushes) and act more like children? I mostly mean childlike, but childish doesn't need to be excluded.

The only one I can think of is Jimmy Two-Shoes (the main character is basically a teenage human SpongeBob). Ed Edd 'n Eddy may qualify, but it's unknown whether the main trio are 12 or 13. While Eddy's age is explicitly confirmed to be 12, Ed and Double D remain ambiguous, as I do remember seeing an Instagram post where Danny said 12-13 as the age for them, making it unclear which one. He also said Rolf, Nazz and Jonny were 15 (the first two) and 12-13 (Jonny) respectively. Fighting kids over jawbreakers is something teenagers in real life are unlikely to do unironically.

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts