Cartoons you regret sleeping on during their run

AnimatedFan01

I made a thread similar to this a couple years back (it feels good to be back on Toonzonr after the 7-month long outage) about cartoons you regret ignoring as a kid so I guess I've sort of already asked this, but this is for cartoons of any time period, whether you were a kid or an adult, so cartoons of either the past or today.

Amphibia is definitely the first that comes immediately to mind. I'd heard about the show from the beginning but didn't even care to check it out until February of this year (around the same time of the site outage), primarily due to the Calamity Trio igniting my interest as I do love friendship cartoons, as I was initially under the impression of it focusing solely on a girl in a frog world with no human contact whatsoever, and that's one of the reasons why I refused to check it out originally. Let me just say that sleeping on it throughout its run was definitely the biggest mistake in my life. This quickly became my new favorite cartoon due to its beautiful animation and art style, perfect balance between episodic and serialized, talented (and recognizable) voice cast, likeable and unique characters, adventurous plots, and amazing production music. Not only do I consider it the best Disney cartoon but the best cartoon of all time.

The main reason I didn't think to watch it while it was airing was because I was under the misconception of it being a generic serialized and arc-heavy cartoon with no episodic quirk or fun whatsoever. In fact, this was my attitude toward most 2010s cartoons and why I refused to check them out. Pretty much ever since Adventure Time premiered, I was under the pretense that every cartoon produced onward was going to be lore-oriented, action-heavy, dark, angsty, and story-heavy (e.g. Steven Universe, The Legend of Korra, Infinity Train, Gravity Falls, Star vs. the Forces of Evil), or too overly random, dumbed down, gross, overly reliant on crude humor or character abuse, trippy, and have moronic protagonists (e.g. Regular Show, Gumball, Teen Titans Go, Uncle Grandpa, Sanjay and Craig, Breadwinners, Pig Goat Banana Cricket), with the standard "boring" and "pandering" slice of life (e.g. The Loud House, Clarence, Craig of the Creek, We Bare Bears, Summer Camp Island, Harvey Beaks) being the "in between".

That's what made me yearn for the days of simple episodic fun and quirky cartoons like Ed, Edd n Eddy, Foster's, Billy and Mandy, Jimmy Neutron, Fairly OddParents (pre-Poof), Phineas and Ferb, etc. I blame internet critics like Benthelooney and especially Mr. Enter for instilling this mindset into me since they're notorious for having a nostalgia bias and blindly judging cartoons or giving very vague reviews on them. This caused me to adopt those beliefs and attitudes without me having thought of them before and caused me to equate "modern" with "bad". While it wasn't as bad for me to be dismissive of every modern cartoon, as there were some I liked and watched like Rick and Morty, most of them were adult cartoons and very few modern kid cartoons I actually watched.

I still haven't forgiven myself for April of last year back when I was in a hotel room and ignored Amphibia while flipping through channels since it was still airing even if very close to its finale, and it's always such a shame when I get into cartoons only just after they've ended. The very least I can do is hope for a revival of some sort if not a new cartoon from the same creator with a similar premise and animation style.

The only modern kid cartoons I remember actually taking my time to sit down and watch so as to give them a chance were We Bare Bears and Craig of the Creek (both of which I downloaded the whole first seasons to because I wanted to check them out), and while I did find both to be decent if not okay at best, I didn't like the overuse of social media/smartphones in WBB since I watch cartoons to escape these things not see more of it. That's another thing that turned me off about modern cartoons and still kind of does is the generation pandering.

Anyway, I am sure there's more examples than Amphibia that I regret sleeping on but none that come immediately to mind. Owl House is probably the second one since I only checked it out just when it was nearing its end, but only saw the first few episodes and am still a long way from the finale. I wish I'd gotten into The Ghost and Molly McGee when it first premiered as I'd only checked it out in January this year when season 1 had wrapped up, but at least I watched it when it was still airing unlike Amphibia.

If there's anything I've learned from this experience it's to never judge a book by its cover and don't let internet critics or general consensus influence yours. And on the bright side cartoons seem to be becoming fairly more episodic and lighthearted with Molly, Kiff, Hailey's on It, and Hamster & Gretel. I haven't really kept up to date with CN or Nick so I'm not sure about their newer originals.

Last edited:

AngusTinMan16

There were a bunch of cartoons I regret to not watch during their, but a list would be:

Star vs. the Forces of Evil (pre-Season 4), Ducktales (2017), Sanjay & Craig, Welcome to the Wayne, Middlemost Post, The Mighty B, The Penguins of Madagascar, Adventure Time (later episodes), Regular Show (later episodes), The Amazing World of Gumball, Uncle Grandpa, We Bare Bears, Mighty Magiswords, O.K. K.O. Let's Be Heroes, and a host of others.

A lot of these shows aired when the cartoon community was heavily influenced the Caustic Crtitic-style cartoon reviewers and fanboys who thoughts only story-driven cartoons were watchable.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
There only two cartoons that I can think of were Steven Universe and Gravity Falls.

For Gravity Falls, I didn't watch it back when it first came out because I didn't watch Disney Channel anymore. It took many years later to watch the entire show online, and I absolutely love it. It's so charming and yet so fun.

Same could also be said for Steven Universe. I stopped watching Cartoon Network in 2013 because it just wasn't for me anymore, and I just grew out of it. I heard both good and bad things about Steven Universe over the years. I tried to get into it numerous times, but I couldn't. Then, Steven Universe was slowly started to ended their run, I thought it would good idea to rewatch the entire series to see if the show impressed me, and it did. It is without a doubt, the best modern day Cartoon Network show that has ever came out. It has great characters, great animation, fantastic story, boppin' soundtrack, and everything. Although, there are some major flaws I had with this show that I would love to rant about, but other than that, I do enjoy Steven Universe for it was.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
Phineas and Ferb: I saw a few episodes early on and I remembered liking it quite a bit. Like there was a brief time where I called it one of my favorites. For some reason or another I sort of fell out of it. I think it’s because I was starting college. I keep on meaning to go back to it on Disney +.

Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: pretty much all that I said about Phineas and Ferb applies here, except for the Disney + part obviously. I did watch it again on Hulu a few years ago, but I don’t think I finished it. I’m thinking I should go back.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Phineas & Ferb - I wasn't actively watching Disney Channel (or XD) until 2012 when they started gaining traction for Gravity Falls, Motorcity, and a bunch of new animated series that were just starting their runs that year. I became obsessed with watching the Disney networks when it seemed like they were going through a golden period of amazing originals. However, I only stayed around for the new shows--Phineas & Ferb was already a few years old when I started watching, so I didn't really pay attention to it till after the show had ended. Then I decided to just binge-watch the series over the Summer. I can't believe I missed out on this funny, amazing show.

BoJack Horseman - I wasn't big on Netflix or the binge streaming model at the time and I was still trained on watching linear TV the old-fashioned way. Shortly after switching cable providers in late 2019 to one that allowed for streaming, BoJack Horseman was the first show where I decided to take the plunge and try watching whole seasons of TV in a single sitting after hearing so much praise for it. Turns out I started watching just mere weeks before the final episodes were ready to drop, so I kinda feel bad about missing out on the show for so long.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Honestly, there has never been a single cartoon I regret getting into late. For cartoons I wanna see, I get to them when I get to them. Whether I watch them while they are still airing new episodes, or reruns after the fact doesn't matter to me. One exception.

BoJack Horseman. But my coming late to it doesn't involve regret, but relief. I am very, VERY glad I came late to that great show and binged it shortly after it ended.

BoJack Horseman is VERY similar in many surface areas to Gilda And Meek. If I had seen it as it was airing, that fact could have gotten into my head and make me second-guess some very important things. After the fact? The similarities delight me instead. And the best and most rewarding part of that is that BoJack as a drama masquerading as a comedy set in an alternate Universe where humans mingle with cartoon animals has a lot of fans who appreciate that kind of thing. I'm not crazy in seeing value in the premise.

Where Gilda And Meek differ from BoJack is mostly tone. BoJack is an antihero at best and a villain at worst. While Gilda And Meek are heroes. I do explore psychology and human evil but I do it by having the good guys fight against it instead of trying to get away with it. BoJack Horseman is pessimistic, Gilda And Meek And The Un-Iverse is optimistic.

How do I think they compare in quality? I think BoJack is better than Gilda And Meek. Slightly. Why? It states some very dark truths about human nature I am either unwilling to explore, or things I don't understand myself. That being said, I believe The Un-Iverse will have a better and more satisfying ending than BoJack did. And BoJack's ending was right for that show (and messy). But I think even if BoJack is better in general, The Un-Iverse will have a better ending. Hell, I think the same thing about the last issues of Gilda And Meek too.

Zorak Masaki

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. After years of hearing it hyped up, I finally decided to ask some MLP fans which episodes to watch. After checking out their list, I became a big fan and caught up with the rest of the series right before season 7 premiered. Still, I would have liked to have seen some of the more major events of the show as they were happening.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. After years of hearing it hyped up, I finally decided to ask some MLP fans which episodes to watch. After checking out their list, I became a big fan and caught up with the rest of the series right before season 7 premiered. Still, I would have liked to have seen some of the more major events of the show as they were happening.
This for me too. I watched it a handful of times early on and liked it as a cute show. The whole Brony thing plus being in college prevented me from watching it super closely. I started watching it again on Netflix at some point, but I know I never finished and I don’t even have Netflix anymore.

aegisrawks

I know this isnt a cartoon but Ojamajo Doremi. Sure it didnt get fully fansubbed until recently and the dub (Latin American one that was uncut) was never available to me but I wish I had seen it in its time.

DeanBurrito25

I mentioned it previously, but TMNT 2012 was this for me recently. I was watching The Legend of Korra fervently on Nick around the same time, so I don't even have a good excuse at this point. :sweat:

I also didn't get into BoJack Horseman until around/before Season 3, but in my defense, I did not yet a viable source of income to afford a Netflix subscription. :sweat::sweat::sweat:

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
A lot of the ones for me have already been listed: TMNT 2012, MLP FIM, Bojack, and Phineas & Ferb.

If we're counting anime, there are way too many to count. I just watched all of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor last year, for example. A show from 1993.

Pooky

Staff member
Only shows I wish I'd watched with people who aren't here any more, like my grandmother. Other than that it doesn't bother me, I don't mind if a show I watch isn't current, if anything I prefer it that way. Sure, some shows it might have been fun to be part of the "fandom", but in those instances I'd also have to have been on the right forums at the time etc, a lot of other dominos would have had to have fallen in the right place.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Only shows I wish I'd watched with people who aren't here any more, like my grandmother. Other than that it doesn't bother me, I don't mind if a show I watch isn't current, if anything I prefer it that way. Sure, some shows it might have been fun to be part of the "fandom", but in those instances I'd also have to have been on the right forums at the time etc, a lot of other dominos would have had to have fallen in the right place.
This. Insights like this are why you are one of my favorite posters.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
I do think this is less of an issue nowadays, since most people are watching streaming and there's so much content that it's virtually impossible to have a big show that everyone's watching at the same time. It's not like in the early to mid '00s, when forums were still huge and people still watched premieres on broadcast TV/cable, so if you didn't participate live as it aired, you were considered "late to the party".

I mean, I remember the talkbacks for the Fox primetime shows. People would post reactions to funny moments seconds after they happened. This is becoming increasingly rare, at least in the traditional forum context.

Last edited:

khuddle

BoJack Horseman. But my coming late to it doesn't involve regret, but relief. I am very, VERY glad I came late to that great show and binged it shortly after it ended.

I was going to say Bojack Horseman myself. I haven't watched any episodes yet, but I have seen a couple clips and they were laugh out loud funny. I definitely intend to give the show a try.

JuneKablam

I really wish I checked out It's Pony during its run, but I was occupied with a LOT of shows (most notably OK KO, Steven Universe and Mao Mao) that I never got around to it. I do remember seeing plenty of promotion for It's Pony in December 2019, and I knew it was gonna be a good show. I also remember seeing news about the show moving to Nicktoons for season 2, but that was in 2021, and I don't remember if I was sad about it or not.

I didn't start watching the show until August of this year. Mentioned the show while replying to a meme someone posted in discord, and someone told me that I should watch it, and I agreed to it. Also saw mentions of the show in July and August and it peaked my curiosity for a bit. I ended up watching the first episode of It's Pony one night in late August at 3am after falling sick and being unable to sleep. Some parts of the episode made me laugh a little too hard it made my sore throat even worse!

Anyways, I really wish I could've made some room in my life for this show when it was airing, early 2020 was a pretty fun time for me.

Right now it's really difficult to find Season 2 episodes unless you buy them on iTunes or Prime Video or subscribe to Paramount+...

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I regret not watching Avatar: The Last Airbender as a kid since the only episodes I remember watching prior to seeing it on Netflix back in 2012-13 was "The Southern Air Temple" and "The Chase".

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I wished I'd watched more of Daria when it first ran. I watched a few episodes back when MTV Classic started, and I felt it was a show I probably would have enjoyed.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!

Featured Posts