Classic Disney Cartoons: DVDs and related material.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Disclaimer and purpose of the thread: I'm of the mind that the best and most realistic way to persuade Disney to step up in releasing more of their past shows is heavily supporting what is out there and whenever possible anything tied to the programs.

Now there may be releases I'm not aware of. So responses informing me of other releases are encouraged. Also anything available on Netflix (to my knowledge). I strongly recommend financially supporting DVDs, but Disney still makes money regardless.

And I will include the Marvel DVDs, but for the moment only those distributed by Disney/Buena Vista.

That said, let the info sharing commence.

Disney shows

So basically, in the interest of spreading awareness of the DVDs I'm going to make as thorough a list as possible on any Disney cartoon series that has a DVD release or more.

Responses to mention ones I left out would be appreciated and will be edited into this post with credit to the one who submitted it. Especially if there are more shows in the library that weren't originally from Disney or Marvel, but distributed by the former.

What we have so far to my knowledge (titles in bold can also be support via Netflix streaming):
- Adventures of the Gummi Bears Volume 1 (which I think is 29 episodes some of them contain 2 15 minute segments)
- Ducktales Volume 1-3 and Ducktales Treasure of the Lost Lamp (Basically we have everything from the premiere to Gizmoduck's debut)
- Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers Volume 1-2 (All but the last 11 episodes)
- Tale Spin Volume 1-3 (Which altogether is the complete series)
- Darkwing Duck Volume 1-2 (Basically giving us 54 out of 91 episodes)
- Goof Troops Volume 1-2 and Have Yourself a Goofy Christmas*, plus A Goofy Move & An Extremely Goofy Movie (Christmas episode apparently not counting it's 54 out of 78 episodes)
- Gargoyles Season 1 and Season 2 Volume 1-2 (All episodes if you discount The Goliath Chronicles)
- Tarzan and Jane (Basically consists of The Legend of Tarzan episodes "Tarzan and the British Invasion", "Tarzan and the Volcanic Diamond Mine" and "Tarzan and the Flying Ace", while containing some framing sequences to make a movie of sorts)
- The Weekenders Volume 1-2 (Entire series is collected in these couple volumes)
- Kim Possible Season 1-2 and So the Drama (Which contains both the Season 3 finale as well as Gorilla Fist as a bonus. The series as a whole can be purchased on itunes** through 8 volumes)

Recess doesn't have any episodes released in the regular fashion. To start off, Recess School's Out is on DVD. Other material consists of episodes released with new footage inbetween to create a "movie":
- Recess: All Growed Down (Contains The Legend of Big Kid, Wild Child and Kindergarten Derby, as well as an exclusive segment. Several episodes I believe are released as bonus features as well, including "The Challenge", "The Story of Whomps" and "One Stayed Clean")
- Recess: Taking the Fifth Grade (Contains what I understand were suppose to be the beginning of a new season, following the theatrical film, but regardless is entirely new material)
- Recess Christmas: Miracle on Third Street (New footage which strings together previous aired episodes "Principal For a Day", "The Great Can Drive", "Weekend At Muriel's'" and "Yes Mikey, Santa Does Shave")

Nothing for the actual Lilo and Stich series, but the movies. All of the films can be seen on DVD or Netflix streaming.

American Dragon Season 1 and 2 can be purchased on itunes**.

The Proud Family episodes can be purchased on itunes**, while the movie that served as a finale is on DVD.

Disney's Doug is pretty much lacking. There is Doug's First Movie I hear. And who knows. Success of Nickelodeons Complete Set might encourage Disney to join in on the action.

Aladdin has had several releases:
- Disney Princess Stories: Volume 1 ("Bad Mood Rising")
- Disney Princess Stories: Volume 2 ("Love at First Sprite")
- Disney Princess Stories: Volume 3 ("Eye of the Beholder")
- Disney Princess Party: Volume 2 ("SandSwitch")

Quack Pack has a single disc release containing "Transmission: Impossible", "Heavy Dental" and "Feats of Clay".

House of Mouse has a couple of DVD movies. Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed in at the House of Mouse and Mickey's House of Villains. Currently the discs are pretty costly, but both are viewable on Netflix.

*Yes, Have Yourself a Goofy Christmas is a single episode disc. The Darkwing Duck episode "Have a Wonderful Leaf" was released in a similar fashion. But while the latter can alternatively be bought on the Volume 2 release of DWD, the Goofy episode in question is only available in this fashion. I'd say if you're a huge Goof Troop fan and you have a dangerous cash flood, buy it. If not at least focus on the 3 disc sets out there.

**The info on itune distribution was pointed out to me by Toonzone member Choppasmith.

Marvel shows
- Fantastic Four The Complete 1994 Animated Series
- Iron Man The Complete Animated Series
- Spider-Man The 1967 Set (Costly but with 6 discs and 52 episodes, I'd say that's fair)
- Spider-Man 1994 Series
-- Spider-Man VS Doc Ock
-- Spider-Man: The Ultimate Villain Showdown
-- Spider-Man VS Daredevil
-- Spider-Man: The Venom Saga
-- Spider-Man: Return of the Green Goblin
- The Incredible Hulk (1st four episodes of the 1996 series and first three segments of the 1967 cartoon)
- X-Men Volume 1-5 (All 1992 series episodes)

Only show that I can think of that isn't exactly in either category is The Tick Seasons 1 and 2, though some episodes were omitted due to Marvel parodies before Disney bought the company.

Related material
For the most part this is just comic books and trades with exceptions. And while the Uncle Scrooge comics aren't exactly say Ducktales, I imagine support of the trades wouldn't hurt Ducktales chance of recognition.

- Darkwing Duck: The Definitely Dangerous Edition (Released by Joe Books. The trade reprints the first 16 of the 18 issue comic book series Darkwing Duck. Dialogue was changed to bring it in line with the show and replacing the final two issues is a new epilogue which will pave the way for a new DWD series.*)

- Ducktales Remastered (Remake of the original Ducktales game for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Available for the Nintendo Wii U, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows.)

- Ducktales: Scrooge's Quest (Reprints a multi-part run on Ducktales of the same name, and while Gemstone published comics are out of print, there's a few new ones left over on Amazon.)

- Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge Box Set (Contains the hardcovers "Only a Poor Old Man" and "The Seven)
- Don Rosa's Uncle Scrooge (Contains the hardcovers "The Son of the Sun" and "Return to Plain Awful".)

Coming soon in April is a new Uncle Scrooge comic book series by IDW Comics (along with Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse and Walt Disney's Comics & Stories).

*This review here gives an example of how the DWD trade differs from Boom's publishing of the comics: http://www.negaverse.net/definitively-dangerous/?p=67

Choppasmith

As a guy who has gone digital with an HTPC, I feel like iTunes should be mentioned. Sadly, unlike other channels/companies they really don't have anything from shows before the 00s. The oldest they seem to have are Kim Possible and The Proud Family. I don't know much about the latter, but I just bought the entirety of Kim Possible. They're split into 10 episode volumes. One thing nice about this is that while the first two volumes (Season 1) is 4:3 480p, everything after is offered in widescreen 1080p. It's the closest you'll get to a Bluray.

And it's not "classic" but I thought I'd mention something about Phineas and Ferb as it's not even mentioned on the wiki. Like KP, it's offered in 10 or so episode volumes, but they recently put out a special collection called 103 Days of Summer where it's basically every episode up to the Where's Perry two parter. Some other worthwhile things though

-The audio bug that plagues Getting the Band Back Together in the single volume set is fixed here.
-The single volume version of Christmas Vacation is the standard version, but in the Summer collection it's the previously TV Exclusive extended version!
-There are four exclusive episodes involving a group of characters offering commentary for previous episodes done MST3K style.

And welp, that's all I have to offer. Would be nice if Disney could offer of their classic shows on iTunes.

Antiyonder

Staff member
And welp, that's all I have to offer. Would be nice if Disney could offer of their classic shows on iTunes.
True enough and I'll work to incorporate your info into the main post.That said, I still highly recommend the DVDs listed if you can spare money in the future for any. I mean yeah it would be nice to have them in all current formats, but the price we pay for our interest in the obscure or not so popular material is that sometimes we need to take what little we get in order to convince Disney that the oldies are worth higher investment on their part.

The Disney shows I have are "Darkwing Duck" Vol. 1-2 DVD's, "Goof Troop" Vol. 1-2 DVD's, "A Goofy Movie" on VHS, "Bonkers: I Oughta Be in Toons" on VHS, and two "Timon and Pumbaa's Wild Adventures" videotapes. I'm a big fan of the Disney Afternoon and a member of the fan group dedicated to the Disney Afternoon if you will.

Antiyonder

Staff member
The Disney shows I have are "Darkwing Duck" Vol. 1-2 DVD's, "Goof Troop" Vol. 1-2 DVD's, "A Goofy Movie" on VHS, "Bonkers: I Oughta Be in Toons" on VHS, and two "Timon and Pumbaa's Wild Adventures" videotapes. I'm a big fan of the Disney Afternoon and a member of the fan group dedicated to the Disney Afternoon if you will.

Cool, cool. That said, I would recommend picking up the comic book TPB "Darkwing Duck: The Definitely Dangerous Edition", and if you're interested in say Ducktales, well obviously the DVD (3 volumes of episodes and a the movie) and:

- Ducktales Remastered which is a 2013 update of the old NES title (If you have the means to play it of course).
- Uncle Scrooge by IDW Comics and the recent Volume 1 trade paperback collecting their issues.
- The Carl Barks and Don Rosa libraries from Fantagraphics.

On the topic of Goof Troops, there is also An Extremely Goofy Movie and if you have 10 dollars to spare, there the DVD "Have Yourself a Goofy Little Christmas".

Additionally AEGM, plus the two House of Mouse Halloween and Christmas Special are available for streaming on Netflix.

Oh wow. I have got Ducktales the Movie on DVD. And on VHS, I have all three Disney's Marsupilami VHS ("Jumping Jungle Jive", "Adventurous Tales," and "Marsuper-Duper"). I am still hoping to get The Goof Troop Movie on DVD. Because my favorite song on The Goof Troop Movie is "I2I".

BritBrick

You know I think most, if not all of DuckTales and Goof Troop are on iTunes, but in Germany with German language.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts