Could Disney Plus Have Original Content From Disney Television Animation?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Disney Plus has been around for almost 2 years, and while much of the programming is good, there's one thing most people have noticed. Almost all the programming developed for the series is based on some sort of established IP. This especially holds true for the programming produced by Disney Television Animation for the service.

Not only is there very little DTVA content compared to the Marvel, Star Wars, Disney Animated Canon, and Pixar programming, all of the DTVA produced content that is there is based on established properties. We have Phineas And Ferb The Movie: Candace Against The Universe, The Wonderful World Of Mickey Mouse (a retooled revival of Mickey Mouse 2013), Monsters At Work (based on Monsters Inc), and the upcoming revival series The Proud Family: Louder And Prouder.

I do get that it takes time for a streaming service to spread its wings and invest in more original programming, but still. One could see this as DTVA being seen as somewhat of a footnote by the higher ups at Disney given that the other brands I mentioned have much more franchise longevity due to movies while TV shows are generally more finite. What do you think though?

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Best I can suggest is giving the various older or more recent titles outside of the IPs (Gargoyles, Kim Possible, American Dragon, Gravity Falls, etc) a good binging if only to show them that investing in them at all wasn't a waste.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Also if any of you have the time and like any or all of the original properties from Gravity Falls to The Owl House and The Ghost and Molly McGee, I'd also recommend looking up the clips or occasional full episode videos that is on Disney Channel or Disney Television Animation YT channels and give them a like.

Especially done it for TOH myself for hopes of it getting follow ups if not another season.

So Disney Plus, On Demand and/or Disney Binges of original properties plus YT likes.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Yeah, definitely something to consider. Especially if it means more properly done story-driven content.

THIS is a shining example of something Netflix and other streamers have gotten right by now. Disney has no excuse and what excuses they are making can easily be seen thru, honestly, when it comes to not capitalizing on this.

The Owl House, Legend of The 3 Caballeros, a proper reboot here or there (as in not too many, of course)? The possibilities should be endless in keeping certain things going.

However, like I said, with anything story-driven, a good beginning, middle, and end isn't just logical - it's essential. Problem is is that Disney hasn't truly found that balance so easily with streaming.
Otherwise - Legend of The 3 Caballeros and The Owl House, at the very least, would still be going strong and not canned or set to end soon, respectively, now would they?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts