did disney regretted cancelling nimona?

harry580

so, there's a YouTuber who made a video about the Disney box office flop disaster of 2023 and then there's a comment from a user saying that nimona, a film disney cancelled when they shuttered blue sky studios got picked up by netflix and become a big hit, and when I googled: "disney regretted cancelling nimona" and there's are videos & articles like: "how netflix nimona destroyed disney", "the animated film disney should have made" & so on and then came the moment netflix made nimona viewable on youtube, People went on making fun of Disney because this film is a unique film in many ways including the fact that it includes gay lead characters and looks very different animation style wise. There were rumors from the makers of the film that said that Disney was apprehensive about the film anyway before shutting down the studio, so now people are poking fun at the fact that Disney, which has recently been struggling to produce a hit, basically threw away a groundbreaking Oscar-nominated project. I wonder if disney did regretted cancelling nimona

Last edited:

Moe

Disney didn't say about Nimona at all and even if Nimona is successful, it isn't enough to pull Disney out of box office trouble as Disney trained fans and parents to watch movies on Disney+ during pandemic, so they expected movies come to Disney+ on same day as theatrical release or few weeks. Many of them ended up realized that new movies aren't come to Disney+ quickly anymore and fueled the frustration because they don't want go back to movie theaters.

It take a lot of time for Disney to recover from loss, so it take years.

Investors forced Disney to close Blue Sky Studios as they are bleeding a lot of money, so Disney themselves didn't take lightly. If you are business owner and publicly traded company, so investors will put heavy pressure on you to do thing, or you will be sacked.

Moe

Can Disney's recovery get sped up if Iger is replaced sooner than planned?
No, it won't make any difference and it take a lot of time for Disney to be recovered in box office sales.

Prior to pandemic, movie theaters are experiencing the decline in attendance and they tried to remedy the problem like AMC started to offer subscription service like Stubs A-List with mixed success but it took pandemic to blow everything out.

At least, Disney isn't facing the bankruptcy and it wasn't first time for Disney to experience the down, so it did happen in 1980s and again in 2000s. Disney stopped send theatrical movies to Disney+ directly and they lengthen the gap between theatrical release and Disney+ release. It was 8 months before pandemic started and right now, it is 3-6 months, depends on movies. Disney just got past the worst, so they should be recovered in few years.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
No, I don't think they regret cancelling Nimona. Odds are if it was given a proper theatrical release, it would've been a failure. Netflix just released their viewership stats for the second half of 2023, which includes Nimona:

Nimona ranked 49th in the film department, the lowest of any Netflix original western animated feature released during that period. Admittedly, last year didn't have a huge slate.

If that's the kind of performance Nimona does during its first six months on the world's largest streaming platform, I doubt this movie would do well enough theatrically to justify its existence. Blue Sky's last batch of movies all had budgets over $100 million. Theatrical releases have bigger promotional budgets, a bigger barrier to entry (it's $10+ per viewer) and are more heavily scrutinized (the LGBT content in the movie would likely result in bans or at least controversy in nations it's currently available to stream in). I don't see there being several hundred million dollars worth of Nimona fans once you put a specific paywall in front of it. It just barely edged out the viewership of a throwaway Spy Kids movie released 3 months later.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts