Digimon DUB: Saban vs Toei / Studiopolis

zoombie

We are all familar with and talked about at some point in our lives, the differences between the 4 Kids and Pokemon U.S.A. (and the other company that currently doing the dub) dubs of Pokemon.

But another dub comparision I would like to discuess is the two Digimon English DUBS, between Saban which dubbed the two Adventures, Tamers, and Frontiers, and Toei / Studiopolis which dubbed Savers.

Did you notice any differences? Which one did you think was better?

While overal I enjoyed the English Dub of Adventures and Tamers more than Savers (Data Squad), that is due to the original writing and animation of the Japanese version. But if you just compare the things the Dubs added and subtraced from the original, I think Savers dub is way better.

Digimon Data Squad didn't have any lame puns and jokes that were added in. It stayted mostly true to the script (except changing Yggdrasil from a Digimon god to Digimon king and BomberNanimon's apperance). At times they did soften the language, (in the original, Kourki did tease the data squad the possibility that Satsuma was dead, but for the most part what they said in the Japanese version, they said in the English version.

The Saban dud, they sometimes added lines that aren't there, and those lines are lame jokes.

Savers was intended for a slightly older audiance in both the original and the dub. But the Savers dub did have edits as well, like BomberNanimon turning into a juicie digimon in episode 7, Ikuto being thrown into a bath tub in episode 22, in episode 30 adding a bunch of bubbles to the tanks that a naked Kourki, Ivan, and Nanami were in, and the evoloving of Rosemon.

For me I don't mind too much what they edit out, what they edit in is what bothers me more. The Saban jokes were terrible. But luckily the original story was excellent, as well as the animation, and their cast was talented, that they got around those flows.

I can only imagine how much better the two Adventures and Tamers would have been, had it been dubbed similar to how Savers was dubbed.

Last edited by a moderator:

PC!

lolwut?
Well, Studiopolis is basically Saban with different management. Management that doesn't feel the need to "punch up" their dubs quite as much as in the past.

zoombie

Well, Studiopolis is basically Saban with different management. Management that doesn't feel the need to "punch up" their dubs quite as much as in the past.

Well it is still different. Maybe the owner is the same, but everything else is different.

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
Saban didn't do Frontier. Disney did Frontier. Disney took over halfway through the Tamers dub.

As far as the jokes go, that's more the writers, specifically the head writers doing, not Saban, Toei, or Studiopolis.

Collie

Total Drama Llama
As far as the jokes go, that's more the writers, specifically the head writers doing, not Saban, Toei, or Studiopolis.

That was one of the things I liked about the Digimon dub. The lines that you knew couldn't have been in the original script, pretty much because they were actually funny.

I think Data Squad needs some more of that. It's a fun show to watch, but it needs more Americanization.

Scirel

WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?
That was one of the things I liked about the Digimon dub. The lines that you knew couldn't have been in the original script, pretty much because they were actually funny.

I think Data Squad needs some more of that. It's a fun show to watch, but it needs more Americanization.

The thing is, the jokes needed to be acutally funny, and not jarringly out of place and makign absolutely no sense.

(I remember a scene where Davis wanted to hold Kari's hand, and he was actually holding TK's hand, complaining that he couldn`t see. This made NO SENSE AT ALL because they were in broad daylight AND Davis and TK were Nowhere near each other)

There are also some that just suck all the drama out of a scene such as most of apocalymon's lines being rediculously stupid. It's fine for a villain like Piedmon or puppetmon or etemon(his jokes were good) to be funny, but not a serious one like apocalymon or metal seadramon. Come on, some of their lines were just embarrasing.

Not to say that there weren`t some good jokes, such as one concerning Kari commenting on gatomon's thoughts about TV. It was funny because it actually FIT WITH THE SITUATION.

I still maintain the Tamers dub was the best of them.

But seriously, americanization? WTF? If you want shows with american stuff in them, watch american cartoons. there's no shortage of them, that's for sure.

zoombie

It is no different from the FUNimation dub of Crayon Shin Chan. Adding their own jokes and differing from the script.

Differences being Shin Chan was just a comedy show, Digimon was more than comedy, comedy was seceondary, so those jokes took a little away.

Collie

Total Drama Llama
It is no different from the FUNimation dub of Crayon Shin Chan. Adding their own jokes and differing from the script.

Differences being Shin Chan was just a comedy show, Digimon was more than comedy, comedy was seceondary, so those jokes took a little away.

I prefer comedy, or at the very least light adventure, to drama (by a biiiiig margin) so what was lost, I don't miss.

As far as watching American cartoons, there's not that much that catches my interest nowadays. Cartoon Network has cancelled most of its action cartoons, leaving me with just Ben 10 Alien Force and Naruto. Toon Disney has Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man, and that's about it.

Besides, if you're sending/licensing a program to another country, it's only logical to edit the program to fit that country.

Pomegranate

I prefer comedy, or at the very least light adventure, to drama (by a biiiiig margin) so what was lost, I don't miss.

As far as watching American cartoons, there's not that much that catches my interest nowadays. Cartoon Network has cancelled most of its action cartoons, leaving me with just Ben 10 Alien Force and Naruto. Toon Disney has Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man, and that's about it.

Besides, if you're sending/licensing a program to another country, it's only logical to edit the program to fit that country.

This is definitely one example of how very hard it is to please the average otaku and why I also no longer associate with the anime fandom.:shrug:

PC!

lolwut?

No, actually, when Digimon was under Saban, many of the writers actually wrote the scripts to be a lot less jokey, but the higher-ups, particularly Terri Lei O'Malley, directed Jeff Nimoy and Bob Buccholz to "punch up" the jokes.

Pomegranate

No, actually, when Digimon was under Saban, many of the writers actually wrote the scripts to be a lot less jokey, but the higher-ups, particularly Terri Lei O'Malley, directed Jeff Nimoy and Bob Buccholz to "punch up" the jokes.

I actually thought Haim Saban ordered the writers to inject that kind of dialog into the dubs, since he's a fan of slapstick comedy himself.

And Collie, if you don't like American cartoons that much, yet love comedy very much, then watch some sitcoms you can find instead. That's what many people, who vehemently hate cartoons, do.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Sparklefan1234 wrote on Mejo's profile.
My unpopular post was because the movie was my first real exposure to Tom and Jerry as characters.

I like a lot of Disney's short cartoons that don't contain dialogue. :)
@Moe They've added a Nash Bridges channel to Freevee , Lionsgate made a Free channel, it first showed up on Direct TV stream a couple days ago.
How about the potential Gumball + Bocchi the Rock! animated crossover? What do you think about this/that potential one?

youtube Nickelodeon short uploaded Nick News roller coaster clip (from last year). Nick News hasn't had new episode since last March!
Shea Fontana's brother Casey died a few days ago.

Featured Posts