Does anyone remember Toon Disney?

Santana434

Does anyone remember toon Disney, it was a Spin-off channel to Disney channel. Toon Disney is similar to CN’s boomerang because they aired classic cartoons 24/7 nonstop. Toon Disney had great shows like Disney’s house of mouse, Aladdin, Hercules(TV series), Timon and Pumbaa, and they also bring in some Disney channel cartoons like the Proud family and Kim possible. Overall it was a great channel well at least from the earlier years(1998-2004), toon Disney was still soild up until like 2005. Because ever since jetix came, toon Disney did start to became a shell of its former self after a while, well… at least starting at 2006 I think is where the channel start to became a shell of it’s a former self because while jetix was a great block it took over toon Disney’s schedule especially on weekends during its final years. I feel like 2006-2009 was starting to became More A jetix channel but jetix was a great block with some good action shows anyways. But anyways what are your thoughts on Toon Disney was it a great channel growing up

Attachments

• 234DE67D-1D36-4992-A6C5-5C9859CCA5BA.jpeg
    234DE67D-1D36-4992-A6C5-5C9859CCA5BA.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 57

Cave-Cat-87

I remember watching Toon Disney a lot whenever my family and I would visit family and friends that had satellite TV. Aside from airing a lot of Disney shows, I remember that they also aired shows that were created by DiC Entertainment, since Disney owned the rights for DiC at the time, such as "The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog", "Gadget Boy", "The New Archies", "The Wizard of Oz", and several others.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Toon Disney was riding high when it first aired, primarily because the channel aired a lot of the former Disney Afternoon shows that were no longer airing on broadcast TV at that point, in addition to 3rd party acquisition shows that weren't airing on Disney Channel proper (Toad Patrol, The Ultimate Book of Spells). Eventually, TD ran into the same problem that inevitably faces all nostalgic rerun channels; people were started to get tired of seeing the same episodes of the same shows over and over. In an attempt to boost ratings, Disney launched the Jetix action block, and because Jetix offered new and original programming, the block got higher ratings that anything else on the channel. In response to this, Disney expanded the Jetix block, making it longer and longer until it felt like Jetix was the channel and Toon Disney was the program block. Soon afterward, Disney tried to market Toon Disney/Jetix as the Disney Channel for boys when it was discovered that Disney Channel had a strong following among girls. Thus, the Jetix block was dissolved, and the channel was re-christened Disney XD.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Yes, but I didn't watch it all that much compared to Disney Channel. I only saw one or two shows on Toon Disney, and that's it. And I didn't watched Jetix(besides Pucca and Ying Yang Yo). It's just not my cup of tea. Though, their history was pretty interesting.

Last edited:

Sam the Cartoonist

Toon Disney was riding high when it first aired, primarily because the channel aired a lot of the former Disney Afternoon shows that were no longer airing on broadcast TV at that point, in addition to 3rd party acquisition shows that weren't airing on Disney Channel proper (Toad Patrol, The Ultimate Book of Spells). Eventually, TD ran into the same problem that inevitably faces all nostalgic rerun channels; people were started to get tired of seeing the same episodes of the same shows over and over. In an attempt to boost ratings, Disney launched the Jetix action block, and because Jetix offered new and original programming, the block got higher ratings that anything else on the channel. In response to this, Disney expanded the Jetix block, making it longer and longer until it felt like Jetix was the channel and Toon Disney was the program block. Soon afterward, Disney tried to market Toon Disney/Jetix as the Disney Channel for boys when it was discovered that Disney Channel had a strong following among girls. Thus, the Jetix block was dissolved, and the channel was re-christened Disney XD.
I watched Toon Disney during the 2007-09, and I recalled even during that period when Jetix took up a large portion of the lineup, there was still a better variety of classic cartoon moreso than Disney XD in its entire history.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Toon Disney (when it was just Toon Disney) was on a different tier than what we were paying for at the time, so I didn't see much of early TD aside from the occasional weekend preview. By the time we upgraded to a digital tier, TD was carrying Jetix. We all know what happened after that.

Kooplecrap Me

Cartoonist, Researcher, Inactive YouTuber
I believe in 2008, TD added Phineas and Ferb and TSLOZAC in their lineup. I know TD aired live action stuff before, but adding the latter really defeated the purpose of the channel. But yeah I remember it. Even when TD ceased to exist, I remember getting on their website years ago on my old computer and the PS3 internet browser

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I remember. We first got the channel in the fall of 2001 and I watched it pretty much constantly for about a year. It went downhill when Jetix took over channel. I wish it was still around, but I understand why it didn’t last.

Erased Paper

In addition to Fox Family/ABC Family/Freeform, I'm also trying to piece together the complete scheduling history of Toon Disney/Disney XD (the 24 hour schedules for each day, including episode info for every timeslot).

This is extremely difficult to do, for a number of reasons. (There is no information whatsoever about what shows/episodes aired during "i wanna watch", for example.) I'd appreciate it if anyone would want to help me with this!

Rabbitearsblog

I remembered watching Toon Disney quite a lot when I was little. I used to watch shows like Darkwing Duck, The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Gummi Bears to name a few examples. But unfortunately, because Toon Disney was one of those channels that didn't come with the satellite subscription packages and you had to pay to have Toon Disney, I didn't watch it that much after me and my family had to take it down to save money.

Review Metabee

Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
Toon Disney was an actually good channel even til the end. Sure the network got more and more sour as Jetix took over but atleast they still had Goof Troop (Until December 2008), Timon and Pumbaa and many more!

Also, Toon Disney was gonna be on DXD but was scrapped for unknown reasons.

Moe

Yes, we received Toon Disney when added on Time Warner Cable's digital lineup in 1999 and I did remember that they aired DIC cartoons, and it was ads free (Disney promotion only). I watched Toon Disney more than Disney Channel, especially when Disney played Playhouse, Zoog and live action shows, so went back to Disney Channel when they aired animated shows, Disney movies and Vault Disney. Toon Disney was my #1 most favorite channel. I was very disappointed when Jetix took some spot on Toon Disney because Disney had no place to put former Fox Kids shows, also Disney was unable to launch the 24/7 channel for Jetix because of difficulty with cable companies on carriage agreement and limited bandwidth at that time, so form the Jetix as block on Toon Disney is easiest routine but I do think that ABC Family is suitable for Jetix, not Toon Disney.

Back in 1999, our cable setup box was old and had no EPG, so we had to rely on TV guide book or check the TV Guide on internet, so it was slow with dial-up. After check the TV guide, we set the VCR to record the movies and shows and we bought a lot of blank VHS tapes at Sam's.

Despite Jetix occupied Toon Disney, I was still watch this channel until 2009 and honest with you, I prefer Toon Disney + Jetix over Disney XD.

Moe

I sure do! Unfortunately, it got replaced to DisneyXD.
Yes, I hate to see happen like this, I rather to have Toon Disney + Jetix over Disney XD.

I wasn't happy about how Jetix invaded Toon Disney but I watched shows that aired on Fox Kids, and Power Ranger.

At that time, Toon Disney + Jetix had most programming on single channel.

TEOL85

My Toon Disney didn't last very long it changed very soon to Disney Cinemagic but I remember the logo for it ruining the movies and ex Toon Disney shows on it though as it was literally massive and covered a full quarter of my picture.

Johntoonfan05

I remembered it i used to watch all of the Greatest shows and Animated Movies) back during my Childhood years (Mostly from The Walt Disney Television Animation and Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar) but now it's dead... (R.I.P. Toon Disney 1998-2009) and now i have to watch all of my Childhood on Disney+ which is a better place to relive my Childhood.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts