"Everything Everywhere All At Once" Talkback (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Everything Everywhere All At Once

I haven't seen a ton of movies this year, but if I were the Academy, I'd not only give that the Best Picture nom (and Michelle Yeoh a nom for Best Actress) I'd give them both the win. It is the kind of movie the Academy is starving for. The Oscars' Best Picture is usually won by great films. Sometimes they are shockingly won by bad films (see Forrest Gump). They are rarely won by GOOD films. Films an audience can like and enjoy. That was just weird and quirky enough to check off the Oscar boxes for an art film while still being popcorn enough for general audiences. Basically, it's a rare movie that will appeal to critics and the public at large equally. Nobody watches the Oscars anymore because no films anybody actually likes are ever nominated for Best Picture, and if they are, they almost never win. The last Best Picture Oscar winner I enjoyed was The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King, and looking back on things and the movies I grew up with, and saw the Academy pass over time and time again, that is literally probably the only example within my lifetime.

The Oscars have lost relevance for only praising bummer movies nobody likes. A crowdpleaser like this that EVERYONE is rooting for? The Oscars would be NUTS not to have it sweep and make people brave enough to watch the awards not wind up the night scowling.

My concern is that this is a no-brainer suggestion on my end. And this is the Academy, and Forrest Gump has an Oscar either Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption (take your pick) were actually robbed of. If the Oscars were capable of being sensible, we wouldn't be in this mess.

One last note: The movie is rated R. First of all, it doesn't deserve that rating. Not really. You can see this stuff in a PG-13 movie from the 1980's, only there are more f-bombs. I don't think a movie with a few f-bombs is something that needs to be restricted from younger viewers. But the R-rating is notable to me, because the movie doesn't need it, and probably could have sold more tickets as PG-13. I like that the movie refused to play the MPAA's game and tone things down even SLIGHTLY just to get the correct rating. The filmmakers decided the film was GOOD as it was, and decided not to let the MPAA make content decisions for them. That's refreshing to me, especially because I believe the MPAA is one step above a criminal organization. I'm kidding. But only a little. But the filmmakers have integrity there.

It's a GOOD movie, and a GREAT, good movie at that. Is the Academy dumb enough to deny us this win we all want? We'll find out. Let's hope we don't wind up as disillusioned with the night as David Letterman wound up in 1995. *****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I remember when I watched it, mind blown. This movie raised the bar and probably one of the best I've seen in the past decades.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
This was free on Prime so I thought I'd finally see what all the fuss is about.

I think if this movie came out ten years ago, it would've been amazing. But I gotta be honest, I'm kinda burnt out on "multiverse" as a plot point. It's not even a new concept but I feel like it's been used a LOT in entertainment in the last decade or so.

To be fair, the movie started off really well. You get the main character's emotions on the direction her life's taken, and there are plenty of plot threads to stay engaged in (the audit of her laundromat; the conflict between her and her daughter; the possible divorce). I was even with the movie when her husband introduced her to universe jumping or whatever it was called, and she faced off against the IRS agent in a different reality. Those 20 minutes or so, where she's on the run and not quite understanding what's going on, felt very much like the first Matrix, which is a good thing.

But around the 45 minute mark, I have to be honest, I lost interest in what was going on. All the hopping around exhausted me, and the fight scenes offered nothing I haven't seen in a bunch of other modern action movies. It just went on and on.

Which is why I kinda liked the universe where everybody is a bunch of rocks. It gave the movie room to breathe and the on-screen text (not subtitles) is a lot different than what we usually see in movies.

And the last 15 minutes did redeem all the stuff in-between, but it also made the parallel dimensions almost feel pointless, or like one extended dream sequence. Because we know those dimensions didn't "exist", so to speak, because everything resolved in the reality that we started the movie on.

The philosophy is pretty standard too. Seemingly small decisions can affect your life in big ways? Yeah, I think we all knew that. And the tangents stuff was already done in Back to the Future II a few decades ago.

I dunno. It wasn't terrible but best picture worthy? I don't think so. That said, I can't speak for most of the other nominees this year (only other one I saw was Top Gun Maverick).

Last edited:

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts