Favorite cartoon series from each decade?

HomokHarcos

I'm new to this forum and apologize if this thread has been done before, but I wanted to start a thread to talk about what your favorite series are going back to the 1920s (that's where I believe animation started picking up). I'll also give my runner-up for each decade. Let's start!

1920s
Felix the Cat: The silent Felix cartoons were great surrealist comedies, and I love the urban Roaring Twenties feel of the cartoons. It's unfortunate that the series didn't last long into the sound era aside from a Van Beuren revival that was much different in tone.
Out of the Inkwell: A highly influential series from Max Fleischer that featured an animated clown interacting with a live-action world. Although mostly remembered for his early wound work, this series was very popular during its time.

1930s
Popeye the Sailor: Yeah, I know Popeye cartoons have been criticized for being too formulaic, but during the early period Bluto was only in around half of the shorts. Just like the Felix cartoons, the Fleischer shorts had great surrealist comedy and an urban feel, enhanced this time by music!
Mickey Mouse: The Silly Symphonies might be more popular among animation enthusiasts, but I prefer the slapstick comedies from this time. As a huge fan of silent comedians like Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton I appreciate the influence on the Mickey Mouse cartoons. It arguably got even better in the late 1930s when they did the Mickey, Donald and Goofy trio shorts.

1940s: Looney Tunes. Yes, I will branch them all together under one umbrella title. With creators such as Friz Freleng, Tex Avery and Chuck Jones in their helm, there was great experimentation going on in Termite Terrace. First "official" appearance of Bugs Bunny, Tweety, Sylvester, Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner.
Tom and Jerry: Consistently great series when William Hanna and Joseph Barbera were running it.

1950s
Looney Tunes: There was less experimentation and more formula during this period, but the shorts were still of high quality and very entertaining.
Tom and Jerry: Same as above.

1960s
Spider-Man: OK, I know this series is definitely not critically acclaimed, but nostalgia gives this series the edge for me. I really like the first season before it switched studios.
The Pink Panther: The last major theatrical short series, and it kept the classic style seen in many of the Warner Bros. cartoons.

1970s
Schoolhouse Rock: Lots of catchy songs and a good example of the educational content that was forced onto the networks by parental groups.
Scooby-Doo: Another series that was created because of the complaints about excessive violence in cartoons, the original series is a classic and being a horror fan I like the spooky villains (even if they are fake).

I'm not too much of a fan of 1980s cartoon series, so I'll skip it.

1990s
The Simpsons: Complete revolutionary not just for animation, but television as a whole. Might have the best supporting cast of any cartoon with characters such as Moe, Chief Wiggum, Principal Skinner and Mr. Burns.
The Ren and Stimpy Show: A great throwback to the Golden Age of Animation. It's unfortunate that John is a terrible person, because that has really tarnished the reputation of the series.

2000s
SpongeBob SquarePants: The defining show of my childhood. The early seasons were the peak, although I admit I do find the later seasons funny also, but I understand many people find them too mean spirited.
South Park: Although the early seasons were the highest rated, I feel like the series picked up when Butters was introduced. The Butters-Cartman paring episodes are great.

I haven't watched too many 2010s cartoons, but the ones that at first glance look like highlights are Bojack Horseman, Gravity Falls and Steven Universe.

Sam the Cartoonist

1960s
Spider-Man: OK, I know this series is definitely not critically acclaimed, but nostalgia gives this series the edge for me. I really like the first season before it switched studios.
The Pink Panther: The last major theatrical short series, and it kept the classic style seen in many of the Warner Bros. cartoons.
I'd consider many of Hanna-Barbara's early catalog quality material including Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, and The Flintstones.

I'm not too much of a fan of 1980s cartoon series, so I'll skip it.
Can't say I'm much of an 80s cartoon fan either, but there were a few good series around that time such as The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show, Garfield and Friends, and The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh which all had higher production values than the typical Saturday Morning Fare at the time.

Markus Nelis

1940s + 1950s Tom and Jerry. The show was funny. Potentially the funniest cartoon of all time. The show was mostly on point. I think I haven't laughed when watched a cartoon more than this one. Really tells that the super legends made the show.

1960s The Pink Panther. The show was great, a show I would expect when I watch Pink Panther. Pink Panther's and White Guy's interactions were the best.

1970s Scooby-Doo. A completely new franchise that worked. Making a cartoon about a dog solving mysteries wasn't a bad idea at all. This was a success. I love to watch the show and have a fun time watching the gang solve mysteries and see who's behind the mask in every episode.

1980s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It was a great show. Loved all the actions and adventures of these turtles.

1990s The Simpsons. This show was and still is a massive success. It has had great plots and stories. The show with Yellow people was a genius idea. I also feel this changed the cartoon industry at the time.

2000s SpongeBob. This character is one of the most popular characters ever. If The Simpsons wasn't enough, here came another Yellow character about the Sponge. The show wouldn't be here without Stephen Hillenburg so respect to him. He created the best masterpiece.

2010s Adventure Time. Such a good show. It went from this comedic show to a very great and emotional one. This show also changed the cartoon industry. I mean shows like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls came here and I think the best way they came was just because of Adventure Time. I haven't seen such an emotional cartoons that went from comedy to also pretty story driven show. It wasn't a bad idea to turn this show from episodic to "sometimes" story driven.

Not going to judge 2020s since the decade isn't over yet and I feel like sometime in the decade there will be a huge new cartoon coming up.

HomokHarcos

I'd consider many of Hanna-Barbara's early catalog quality material including Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, and The Flintstones.

Can't say I'm much of an 80s cartoon fan either, but there were a few good series around that time such as The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show, Garfield and Friends, and The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh which all had higher production values than the typical Saturday Morning Fare at the time.
I definitely like The Huckleberry Hound Show, it might be my favorite Hanna-Barbera TV show.
I skipped the 1980s earlier, but if I had to pick my favorites it would be Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures and DuckTales.

user313856

There are many classic cartoons I haven't watched from each decade. But from the cartoons I watched:

1980s: Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy).
1990s: BTAS.
2000s: Avatar.

kid rabbit

you skipped danger mouse inspector gadget heatcliff the smurfs the real ghostbusters g.i joe transformers M.A.S.K voltron and Alvin and the chipmunks
at lease give those 80's toons a chance

user313856

you skipped danger mouse inspector gadget heatcliff the smurfs the real ghostbusters g.i joe transformers M.A.S.K voltron and Alvin and the chipmunks
at lease give those 80's toons a chance
Disappointed you didn't mention Dungeons And Dragons. Very far from perfect (it's 80s TV animation after all), but so much heart, cool action for the time, amazing atmosphere and often lots of heart and genuine emotion. The writers pushed the limits of production of animation for TV in the 80s, they really put their soul in the show. It's the 80s american cartoon that I'm very fond of. Also, the cartoon is massively iconic here in Brazil, it is He-Man level of iconic 80s cartoons here. Actually, far more iconic than the actual game it's based on.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts