Favorite R-Rated comedies

NoobtheProphet

As a connoisseur of R-Rated movies, I always enjoyed the Raunchy comedies that's appropriate for the rating that we all know today. Couple of my favorites are Animal House (an all-time classic), Neighbors, Jump Street, The Hangover, Road Trip, Old School, Superbad, Hot Fuzz, and Caddyshack, just to name a few.

I also wanted to dedicate this thread to Donald Sutherland, since he was in Animal House as Professor Dave Jennings of the movie's fictional Faber College.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
The original Vacation and Blazing Saddles are probably my two favorites. Caddyshack is also comfort food. Animal House definitely has its moments but it's pretty uneven IMO.

I haven't watched a lot of recent (that is, after the year 2000) R-rated comedies. I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall after Richard Roeper raved about it and while there were a few standout jokes I really don't feel like it warranted the praise. The Hangover similarly was hit-or-miss for me. The Wrong Missy started off very strong but had some lulls where I wasn't laughing as much, especially in the middle part of the movie.

Pooky

Staff member
Some of my favourites;
- The Blues Brothers, and I'm in the minority that likes the Belushi/Ackroyd Neighbours too (both on the lower end of the R-rating admittedly)
- Beverly Hills Cop, if it counts, and Coming to America; honestly most of Eddie Murphy's original run of R-Rated vehicles are a good comfort watch for me
- I'd agree with the original Vacation
- If British comedies that got an R when they were released in America count Monty Python's Meaning of Life (certainly very R-Rated!)
- Similarly Les Visiteurs
- Slightly overrated, but A Fish Called Wanda nonetheless has enough parts I love to make the cut
- Stir Crazy and See No Evil, Hear No Evil
- Down & Out in Beverley Hills (Disney's first R-Rated movie!)
- Ruthless People
- I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
- The Player
- As a fan of Dudley Moore I've got a soft spot for 10 and Crazy People ("the box is cute")
- Super Troopers and Club Dread; enjoyed the other Broken Lizard films I saw too
- Tropic Thunder, although honestly the fake trailers at the start are about three times as funny as the rest of the movie
- Remember enjoying Walk Hard quite a bit
- Step Brothers
- McGruber and I'm in a minority again but The Ladies Man (which I'm pretty sure was supposed to be PG-13 but got slapped with an R)

I've never been able to see Hollywood Shuffle in full but the bits I've seen are hilarious

I enjoyed 40 Year Old Virgin when it came out, but never went big on the Apatow/Rogan axis on the whole. An exception was This Is The End, which is weird because you would think if there was one movie from a gang I don't particularly care for I would like the least it's the most self-indulgent one.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, Animal House kills every time. Don't stop him, he's on a roll. Leading the band into the alley, LOL. The poor horse. Too many hilarious things to list.

Just the 80s alone:
Stripes
Blues Brothers
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Vacation
Revenge of the Nerds
Police Academy
Caddyshack
Doctor Detroit - idk, most hate this movie, but I find it charming

Stripes, Blues Brothers and Fast Times - the jokes always land and it's like the hearing them for the first time.

More recent stuff
Role Models - solid cast, bonding over larping and KISS, growing up
Pineapple Express - great stoner comedy
This is The End - hyperrealistic versions of comedic actors dealing with the rapture, the ending with the Backstreet Boys.

If I had to watch only 1 for the rest of my life: probably Office Space.

khuddle

Yeah, Animal House kills every time. Don't stop him, he's on a roll. Leading the band into the alley, LOL. The poor horse. Too many hilarious things to list.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

:)

I'd throw Airplane in there as well. Leslie Nielsen the king of deadpan comedy:

Nielsen: "Can you fly this plane and land it?"
Ted: "Surely you can't be serious."
Nielsen. "I am serious. And don't call me Shirley."

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
^ Believe it or not, Airplane! is rated PG. There's no way it would get that today, for the boob gag alone. But if it WERE rated R, that would definitely make my list as well.

I forgot about The Blues Brothers before. Reminds me when I went to a double bill of Animal House followed by Blues Brothers back in 2013. It was a loooong evening and my cheeks were sore by the end, but it was definitely a memorable event.

Pooky

Staff member
Oh yeah, I forgot the first Police Academy, I do genuinely find that very funny.

Never saw Role Models, but Detroit Rock City as a pretty funny KISS-themed comedy.

aegisrawks

Some of my favourites;
- The Blues Brothers, and I'm in the minority that likes the Belushi/Ackroyd Neighbours too (both on the lower end of the R-rating admittedly)
- Beverly Hills Cop, if it counts, and Coming to America; honestly most of Eddie Murphy's original run of R-Rated vehicles are a good comfort watch for me
- I'd agree with the original Vacation
- If British comedies that got an R when they were released in America count Monty Python's Meaning of Life (certainly very R-Rated!)
- Similarly Les Visiteurs
- Slightly overrated, but A Fish Called Wanda nonetheless has enough parts I love to make the cut
- Stir Crazy and See No Evil, Hear No Evil
- Down & Out in Beverley Hills (Disney's first R-Rated movie!)
- Ruthless People
- I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
- The Player
- As a fan of Dudley Moore I've got a soft spot for 10 and Crazy People ("the box is cute")
- Super Troopers and Club Dread; enjoyed the other Broken Lizard films I saw too
- Tropic Thunder, although honestly the fake trailers at the start are about three times as funny as the rest of the movie
- Remember enjoying Walk Hard quite a bit
- Step Brothers
- McGruber and I'm in a minority again but The Ladies Man (which I'm pretty sure was supposed to be PG-13 but got slapped with an R)

I've never been able to see Hollywood Shuffle in full but the bits I've seen are hilarious

I enjoyed 40 Year Old Virgin when it came out, but never went big on the Apatow/Rogan axis on the whole. An exception was This Is The End, which is weird because you would think if there was one movie from a gang I don't particularly care for I would like the least it's the most self-indulgent one.
Oh god finally someone else likes The Ladies Man. Oh god finallly.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts