Harry Osborn's Green Goblin - Serious Threat or Bad Joke?

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
With Spider-Man 3 mere days away, our special Spider-Man 3-themed week continues!

goblin.jpg

Spider-Man 3
Harry Osborn's role in Spider-Man: The Animated Series changed as the series progressed. Once Peter's best friend, he morphed into a deadly reinterpretation of The Green Goblin. But was he all that threatening? Being on of the few series to really deal with Harry's character, did the classic 1990's interpretation of our favorite Web-slinger fall short with Harry? Could he have been made more of a threat? Was he even a threat at all?

07.jpg

Harry Osborn's Green Goblin from Spider-Man: The Animated Series
Also, what route would you like to see the upcoming The Amazing Spider-Man take in regards to Harry's character?

Related Threads:
-"Spider-Man 3" - Will It Impact Spidey's Animated Future?
-Spider-Man & The Black Costume - A Staple In Animation?
-Should "Sandman" Appear in the Upcoming "The Amazing Spider-Man" Series?
-Venom - Treated Badly in Animation? Should He Get a Second Chance?

Wonderwall

Staff member
Harry in the 90s series was never a threat, I felt that when Harry had an axe in the MTV show, and he was coming up from behind Spidey, was more threatening than the assclown we got in the 90s show

creativerealms

Harry in the ninties show even when he was the Green Goblin was a joke. He came of as a whinny little boy who blamed Petter for everything. His breakdowns his almost literally crying in a corner made him come of as a joke. Of course so was Norman's Green Goblin in that show.

The problem is they brought in Hob Goblin as a bad ass mercinary and IMO the Green Goblins could not compare. It's sad since they are suppose to be far superior to the Hob Goblins.

Spider-Man

I was mostly letdown by Harry's transformation into the Green Goblin. What should have been a dark and cool storyline was made kind of goofy. Remember him cackling "These robots are EXXXXCELENT!" in the wedding episode of Spider-Man: The Animated Series? It was horrible! He came off as a very low-rent version of a very cool Spider-Man villain. If I recall correctly his comic-book counterpart wasn't much better either.

C

coolguy27

With Spider-Man 3 mere days away, our special Spider-Man 3-themed week continues!

goblin.jpg

Spider-Man 3

I really like the scenes when The Green Goblin helps spiderman fighting the villains like venom and sandman.... He really changes his mind that it is not spiderman who kills his father... but his own father...:raven2: But before he was being told by his attendant about his father's death he was very furious with spiderman and wanting him to suffer......

iI REALLY Love THE FILM and the weapons of green gobllin... made by Osborne corp... Nice...:cool:

Batman

The Dark Knight
In The 90's Cartoon Harry's character came off as a whiny (Daddy boy) whip (even before he became The Second Green Goblin ).

In The comics & The movies Harry Osborn's character was written much better . And without question James Franco did an outstanding job in The movie Trilogy (And his best preformance was without question in movie 3 as New Golbin / Harry Osborn)

After seeing "Spider-Man 3" last week, immediately I said that Harry Osborn was the best character in the film, and I still believe so.

He was freakin' awesome, and played his role to a "T".

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I always thought he was a little lame in the comics too. Considering Peter was fighting his best friend (who was usually a jerk, to be blunt) there wasn't really that much drama to it all. It seemed that they finally made Harry interesting during his last years and then killed him off.
Harry has always been much more entertaining in the films than the comics or the cartoon. Should he appear in The Amazing Spider-Man, I hope they look towards the movies for thier inspiration.

batgirl2007

I think they were making Harry wimpy on purpose. You know to give Norman a reason to be ashamed of his son and want Peter to be his "heir" instead. It makes sense because Norman shows up in hallucinations telling Harry that he's weak and Harry asctually belives him sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Yeah that's what I was assuming too batgirl2007: That Harry was a weak and nerdy villian more on puprose because he was a "failure" and "worthless" in his father's eyes and you could kind of see why in the cartoon version (and the movie version for other reasons). Besides Harry came across as very wimpy althroughout the cartoon anyway so why should that just suddenley change even if he got the goblin suit and glider?

batgirl2007

Yeah that's what I was assuming too batgirl2007: That Harry was a weak and nerdy villian more on puprose because he was a "failure" and "worthless" in his father's eyes and you could kind of see why in the cartoon version (and the movie version for other reasons). Besides Harry came across as very wimpy althroughout the cartoon anyway so why should that just suddenley change even if he got the goblin suit and glider?
Thanks for supporting my opinion. Great Minds think alike.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts