"Hellboy Animated: Sword Of Storms" Talkback (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Hellboy Animated: Sword Of Storms

From legendary director Guillermo del Toro and... the creator of Darkwing Duck? Weirdest cartoon pedigree EVER.

I liked it. It's interesting how kid-friendly it is. There is mild cursing of the TV-PG variety, but it's clearly designed to be appropriate for young boys. It's not trying to be super adult and unwatchable by kids like the DC Universe Animated movies wound up being.

The tone reminds me most of the Lionsgate Marvel animated films from a few years ago, with a major exception. For some reason, in order to create "dramatic conflict", or whatever you want to call it, most of those Marvel cartoon movies made their versions of the famous heroes shockingly detestable and obnoxious. For some reason they thought it would help the brand if the viewer absolutely HATED Iron Man and Doctor Strange. Weird mindset if you ask me, but those movies also seemed to be aiming for 11 year old boys instead of adults. But I find Hellboy, Liz, and Abe as likable as they were in the first two movies. So it's way better.

Liz's animated design is crap however. She looks nothing like Selma Blair. I'd accuse the movie of cheaping out on the likeness rights, but Blair actually voices Liz, so that clearly isn't it. The design is just bad.

I like Hellboy squashing it with the Samurai ghosts at the end using reason. I think that's probably the thing all hauntings really need. M Night Shyamalan came to the same conclusion in "The Sixth Sense".

That breath of life kiss between Abe and Liz tells me we were perhaps shipping the wrong characters in the first two films. I laughed that it was actually a burp.

Lots of good and scary monsters and battles in the film. It was a lot of fun. ****.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Hellboy Animated: Sword Of Storms

From legendary director Guillermo del Toro and... the creator of Darkwing Duck? Weirdest cartoon pedigree EVER.

I liked it. It's interesting how kid-friendly it is. There is mild cursing of the TV-PG variety, but it's clearly designed to be appropriate for young boys. It's not trying to be super adult and unwatchable by kids like the DC Universe Animated movies wound up being.

The tone reminds me most of the Lionsgate Marvel animated films from a few years ago, with a major exception. For some reason, in order to create "dramatic conflict", or whatever you want to call it, most of those Marvel cartoon movies made their versions of the famous heroes shockingly detestable and obnoxious. For some reason they thought it would help the brand if the viewer absolutely HATED Iron Man and Doctor Strange. Weird mindset if you ask me, but those movies also seemed to be aiming for 11 year old boys instead of adults. But I find Hellboy, Liz, and Abe as likable as they were in the first two movies. So it's way better.

Liz's animated design is crap however. She looks nothing like Selma Blair. I'd accuse the movie of cheaping out on the likeness rights, but Blair actually voices Liz, so that clearly isn't it. The design is just bad.

I like Hellboy squashing it with the Samurai ghosts at the end using reason. I think that's probably the thing all hauntings really need. M Night Shyamalan came to the same conclusion in "The Sixth Sense".

That breath of life kiss between Abe and Liz tells me we were perhaps shipping the wrong characters in the first two films. I laughed that it was actually a burp.

Lots of good and scary monsters and battles in the film. It was a lot of fun. ****.

I would say the other Hellboy movie Blood and Iron is more aimed at adults, because it features a villain based on the infamous Hungarian Countess Erzsebet Báthory, named Erzsebet Ondrushko in the film.

Given its villain, Blood and Iron seems way more like a horror film than Sword of the Storms. Ironically Erzsebet Ondrushko is played by Kath Soucie who seems to be doing an evil version of her Linka voice from Captain Planet. I probably prefer Blood and Iron because it's got a horror vibe to it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts