Is Adult Swim phasing out its live-action shows?

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Joe Pera announced on his personal site that Joe Pera Talks With You has been cancelled.

After reading this, the CN Schedule Archive Twitter account pointed out that AS' live-action programming seems to be running out.

(This is only a couple of posts. Click the thread for the full editorial.)

Do you think this could be the end of AS' live-action programming?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Has Black Jesus been canceled? That bums me out. That was literally the only worthwhile Adult Swim original show for me.

Conttactt

How many years ago was the last season? Not to mention the rocky relationship between AS and Macgruder, as well as the fact that Charlie Murphy and John Witherspoon are dead

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It always seemed like a longshot to return, but damn it it was Adult Swim's ONLY great show EVER. I'm having a hard time accepting Adult Swim would simply write it up as a lost cause while that is so.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
(IMHO) Adult Swim shouldn't have ANY live-action on it, anyway. They need to be pulling in more animation, preferably with more effort and talent behind it, honestly.
I'd use this opportunity to not just make Smiling Friends their one and only top hit in recent memory, if it means anything. Overselling Rick and Morty and what a mess that show has become isn't doing them any favors, neither.

kirbygame

(IMHO) Adult Swim shouldn't have ANY live-action on it, anyway.
not even Steve Brule, Dream Corp, Eagleheart and Joe Pera? i thought these shows are really good.
then again i get why you barely have interest with live action shows these days. (especially *cough*CW Shows*cough*)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
(IMHO) Adult Swim shouldn't have ANY live-action on it, anyway.
I'd agree with this argument if Black Jesus wasn't the single greatest thing Adult Swim ever did. While it is, the argument holds no water with me.

I cannot overstate how great that show was. In one memorable episode Jesus seems to be losing his mojo with the people of Compton he is preaching to, and they wander off disappointed after his sermon of nonviolence and being better people. And Jesus feels a little beaten down by their apathy. Then a little kid (maybe 9 years old) comes up to the table and says he liked Jesus' speech. And to the shock of everyone, including the viewer, the kid drops a gun on the table because the speech effected him THAT much that he was giving up the gang life. When I saw that I was like, "I don't care how blasphemous the detractors of this show believe it is. It shows and understands the morals of Jesus better than any other fiction I can think of." And looking at every other Adult Swim show in comparison made me believe it was far too good for Adult Swim.

Last edited:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
(IMHO) Adult Swim shouldn't have ANY live-action on it, anyway. They need to be pulling in more animation, preferably with more effort and talent behind it, honestly.
I used to agree with this, and while I think we'd be better off without Tim & Eric, I'm grateful that [adult swim] was able to be a home for Joe Pera, who's delightful and deserves a network who can allow his loving, gentle sensibilities a place to shine.

Frankly, Joe Pera Talks With You is among the best shows they've ever had, and losing it will be a travesty.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Don't think it's phasing out and never had a problem with AS having live shows. Comes naturally. Adult Swim can cover anything mature. Just depends what live shows at what time. If they're almost gone then be it. No problem. But in that case I would consider Toonami or CN getting more hours.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts