Is it just going to be spin-offs from now on?

Eldorado

I realized that all the announcements for new shows today have all been based on existing IPs. I can't help but wonder now that CN won't be getting any new original shows for a long time, and any original stuff will move to Adult Swim time (case in point: Invincible Fight Girl).

What do you guys think?

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I realized that all the announcements for new shows today have all been based on existing IPs. I can't help but wonder now that CN won't be getting any new original shows for a long time, and any original stuff will move to Adult Swim time (case in point: Invincible Fight Girl).

What do you guys think?
Sounds about right.

I do hope Cartoon Network have more original shows in the future, but until the people at the top are changing their ways by being open to more original ideas on CN proper and give them good treatment, don't expect anything new from CN for the time being. Max and Adult Swim are the only place they have anything original right now.

Ace

Ace
The early 2010s were like a golden age for them. It was a return to form both critically and in the ratings. I kind of get it but yeah I'd like to see more original stuff.

I see a huge success for them as something they're still airing reruns a decade later even years after it's been cancelled. Regular Show and Gumball are definitely two behemoths but nothing compared to Adventure Time was in it's early run. Dang that show had massive hype in it's early run tons of merch, toys, only for it die down a few seasons in.

From a short term it makes sense but in a long term eventually they're going to have to bite the bullet and make something new. It's the law of diminishing returns.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Original ideas are scary to executives, because they're just as likely to fail as they are to succeed. Reviving or revamping an established property is safer because those feature characters that the audience already knows and loves. I'm sure that eventually, we'll get some original ideas that aren't based on an existing property or franchise.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Funny enough, nothing for Ben 10 the thing that made this company more money than Scooby-Doo , and has made close enough amount compared to "Pirates of the Caribbean" has made in terms of how much money so... where's that? I am surprised on that.

On the question, I think there's a big sense right now that belt tightening is happening and they are worried about trying something new because they aren't sure how it will work out. The problem with spinoff/revivals etc. and not having a new original kind of makes it hard to grab a new audience who might be interested in something different altogether.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Funny enough, nothing for Ben 10 the thing that made this company more money than Scooby-Doo , and has made close enough amount compared to "Pirates of the Caribbean" has made in terms of how much money so... where's that? I am surprised on that.
Yeah, I’m surprised that they didn’t announce anything new for Ben 10, but then again, Powerpuff Girls reboot wasn’t even mentioned in Annecy either.
On the question, I think there's a big sense right now that belt tightening is happening and they are worried about trying something new because they aren't sure how it will work out. The problem with spinoff/revivals etc. and not having a new original kind of makes it hard to grab a new audience who might be interested in something different altogether.
True. I get that executives saw original ideas as risky, but at the same time, bring back old IPs is just as risky because all it does it fatiguing your audience by giving them anything new.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Yeah, I’m surprised that they didn’t announce anything new for Ben 10, but then again, Powerpuff Girls reboot wasn’t even mentioned in Annecy either.
Craig McCraken recently mentioned on Twitter (I'm not going to call it X) that the new Powerpuff Girls hasn't officially began production. Apparently, the folks at Cartoon Network had simply mentioned doing "something PPG related in the future".

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Craig McCraken recently mentioned on Twitter (I'm not going to call it X) that the new Powerpuff Girls hasn't officially began production. Apparently, the folks at Cartoon Network had simply mentioned doing "something PPG related in the future".
Oh okay. I understand.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but I'm surprised that any of the new Cartoon Cartoon shorts weren't even mentioned in Annecy yesterday.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
If you had told me back in 2010 that this would happen in the 2020s, and not just with CN but with most animation studios, I wouldn't have believed you.

Ace

Ace
Reboots are only evidence that younger generations aren't watching TV anymore. Both on linear and streaming.

A kid especially a young kid wouldn't care if a show was based on an established property only their parents would and they're being made to appeal to parents of Gen Alpha rather than directly at them.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts