Is Variety Of Cartoons On TV Networks No Longer Viable?

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Spongebob Squarepants
The Loud House
The Casagrandes
Alllvin And The Chipmunks
Rugrats (Reboot)
Big City Greens
Amphibia
Phineas And Ferb
Gravity Falls
Ghost Force
Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS
Beyblade Burst Overdriver
Craig Of The Creek
Teen Titans Go!
We Baby Bears
We Bare Bears
The Amazing World Of Gumball
Total Dramarama
Tom And Jerry (Original Shorts/Show)
Looney Tunes (Shorts)/New Looney Tunes/The Looney Tunes Show
Scooby Doo And Guess Who
Code Name Kids Next Door
Chowder
Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic/My ittle Pony Life
Super Monsters
Pac Man And The Ghostly Adventures
Transformers Prime/Rescue Bots
Pound Puppies
Little Pet Shop

Why did I list seemingly 30 Random Cartoons all in a row? Well it's quite simple. Not counting blocks fully aimed at either older or younger audiences, these are the ONLY cartoons officially airing TV on the most major animated US Networks assigned for TV (Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Nickelodeon, Nicktoons Network, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Discovery Family) Over the next couple of days.

That's right on TV right now there are only about say two dozen and a half cartoons airing on seven channels. And though that may seem like a lot

A. At least a third of them are only getting one slot a day while another third can hair up to 3-4 hours a day

B. I can still remember back when one network showing 30 different shows over the course of the entire day was a standard norm, not something you'd only get having to spread over vrious other networks to see.

Yeah see this has been something happening for over years but oddly enough I don't think we've made a thread ever talking about it; yeah people talk about the quality of shows or what makes them up or remember back to older shows and see how they compare to newer ones but how come we've never talked about nowadays, there just doesn't seem to be any VARIETY in cartoon? Especially older cartoons which outside of one network still showing Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes all series are either the more modern retellings or just shows that at most ended a few years ago. We aren't getting any older series or ones that may of just had limited success once at all and seem to be getting no variety in any of these networks and honestly... I find that just utterly depressing. I'm guessing networks don't do this anymore as maybe it's more an incentive to streaming where you have more options or because let's face it programmers are lazy so having hours upon hours of the same series to run over and over again makes their job easy but it feels so earth shattering now to remember back to when marathons of shows airing for hours upon hours was a rariety and special occassion and given promotion about it instead of that... just well being the standard if you are pouplar enough. Anyway else feel me on this and is there anyway of getting variety BACK to these networks running cartoons before it totally dissipates?

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
To answer your question, no, and that's why I officially give up on kids networks having good varied schedules these days.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
With TV ratings way lower than they used to be it seems networks do multiple airings of a few shows to keep consistent ratings. Not just cartoons but any shows across any network for example MTV’s Ridiculousness.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
If Charter Communications took control of Paramount Global, they could restore variety to the schedules of their cable networks, as well as treat all original shows on those networks equally. If Charter succeeds with this, other media companies could follow their example.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
With TV ratings way lower than they used to be it seems networks do multiple airings of a few shows to keep consistent ratings. Not just cartoons but any shows across any network for example MTV’s Ridiculousness.

I do think most of the animation resources were moved over to streaming.

If Charter Communications took control of Paramount Global, they could restore variety to the schedules of their cable networks, as well as treat all original shows on those networks equally. If Charter succeeds with this, other media companies could follow their example.

One, I think the choas at Warner Bros shows these mergers are not always a good thing.

Two, streaming may have taken a bit of hit with Netflix declining the subscription numbers and the choas at Warner Bros, that doesn't change the fact that viewership for cable is going down and that will not be changing. I think streaming will ultimately correct itself, like the internet did after the dot com bubble burst in 2000. Ultimately I think streaming will become more like cable.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I do think most of the animation resources were moved over to streaming.

Which is a big problem, since the streamers are drastically cutting back on content spend.

And the ad-supported tiers aren't going to help things any. Streaming is going to have the same issues cable does with advertisers.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I think it's part of a larger pattern on TV in general. In this era of "binge watching" - a trend that never really resonated with me - most people want to see the same shows over and over. Variety is no longer valued.
There was always a downside to binge watching - and it's not only the easiest one spotted. It's the easiest one ignored, making it(s brand of villainy) even worse for society as a whole.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts