"LEGO Marvel Avengers: Code Red" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this LEGO Animated Special!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
So, I completely missed this, a new LEGO Marvel Avengers animated special was announced last month. LEGO Marvel Avengers: Code Red premieres on Disney+ October 27. A trailer is now out as well.

Via TV Line-

In the trailer above for LEGO Marvel Avengers: Code Red (premiering this Friday on Disney+), Thor, Black Widow, not one but two Captains America, Iron Man et al “assemble to save New York City from the threat of the Red Skull and his Hydra forces,” the full synopsis tells us. “In the midst of the battle, the Avengers are unexpectedly joined by Black Widow’s father, Red Guardian, which doesn’t go over well with Natasha.

“After an argument with his daughter about his well-intentioned helicopter parenting, Red Guardian disappears under mysterious circumstances. As Black Widow and the Avengers investigate, they discover that the villainous Collector is kidnapping every character who has ‘red’ in their name. But despite their best efforts, the Avengers are unable to stop the Collector from kidnapping his next victim, their friend Red She-Hulk. Down but not out, the Avengers now seek out the one person who has the skills to help them — Wolverine.

“Determined more than ever to find her father, Black Widow convinces Wolverine to join the Avengers to help them find the Collector and his prisoners. But once they locate Collector’s secret lair, the Avengers find a lot more than they bargained for. Will the Avengers be able to rescue Red Guardian and the others, or will they permanently become part of Collector’s newest collection?”

The Code Red voice cast includes Laura Bailey (The Legend of Vox Machina), Trevor Devall (Ooku: The Inner Chambers), Steve Blum (Ooku: The Inner Chambers), Will Friedle (DC Super Hero Girls), James Mathis III (Baki Hanma), Liam O’Brien (Critical Role), Laura Post (Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir), Bumper Robinson (The Owl House), Roger Craig Smith (Ultraman), Fred Tatasciore (Star Trek: Lower Decks), Travis Willingham (Critical Role) and Mick Wingert (Ultraman).

Comments?

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I swear these Lego Marvel specials always come out of nowhere. But this looks pretty fun :).

Looks like they went back to an LA cast instead of the Vancouver cast of the last few LEGO specials. A lot of these VA's haven't played their characters in animation in a while. It's cool that Bumper Robinson is getting to play Sam as FalCap and we got Steve Blum back as Wolverine in animation for the first time in ages :D!

I also just love how they list Steve Blum, Trevor Devall, Roger Craig Smith and Mick Wingert are listed with their anime roles :p.

I guess it was inevitable they'd turn the Collector into a comic book collector stereotype...

I'm guessing Laura Post is voicing Red She-Hulk :cool:?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think this might also be Red She-Hulk's first appearance in a cartoon. They played around a bit with the character on Agents of SMASH but I don't think they ever really used her, officially.

Frontier

Staff member
I think this might also be Red She-Hulk's first appearance in a cartoon. They played around a bit with the character on Agents of SMASH but I don't think they ever really used her, officially.
Yeah, Betty showed up in one episode in season 2 but that's about it. Jen was relegated to the token female Hulk :p.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I swear these Lego Marvel specials always come out of nowhere. But this looks pretty fun :).

Looks like they went back to an LA cast instead of the Vancouver cast of the last few LEGO specials. A lot of these VA's haven't played their characters in animation in a while. It's cool that Bumper Robinson is getting to play Sam as FalCap and we got Steve Blum back as Wolverine in animation for the first time in ages :D!

I also just love how they list Steve Blum, Trevor Devall, Roger Craig Smith and Mick Wingert are listed with their anime roles :p.

I guess it was inevitable they'd turn the Collector into a comic book collector stereotype...

I'm guessing Laura Post is voicing Red She-Hulk :cool:?
I completely overlooked that Wolverine is in this, and I was just surprised as I was watching a clip. It's felt too long. I'm guessing this is partially due to the X-Men 97 Lego minifigs.

It's a lot easier to insert X-Men here than the MCU, and I'm not mad at it.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So with having seen the special, I call it another win for Lego Marvel animation. It's very fun and very sweet, and a good showcase for Black Widow. I'm not surprised with just about all the 2010s Marvel actors coming back here given Collette Sunderman is voice director (with this being the second time she directed Laura Post after Barbie: Starlight Adventure).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
LEGO Marvel Avengers: Code Red

No matter the franchise, the CGI LEGO specials ALWAYS manage to underwhelm. Even the best of them are essentially lazy cash grabs.

I mean, Red Guardian isn't even Natasha's father, which is where the entire tension of the relationship comes from. This special acting like he is is missing the entire damn point, and why they are so interesting and horrible together. The trite daddy / daughter issues seen here make it seem a LOT less interesting than the cruel and messy premise actually is.

So when Thor turns into a frog, he's the same size. That apparently goes for all LEGO minifigure characters outside of the Hulk (and the Wendigo). Even Red She-Hulk is the same size as everyone else.

The Wendigo was a DAMN clever callback. I also never expected this project to be the return of the amazing Steve Blum to the role of Wolverine. He's always been my favorite voice of the character even over Cal Dodd. Probably because Dodd was forced to say ridiculous, cringe things on a TV-Y7 rating, and Blum was gifted better scripts on Wolverine And The X-Men. But if we can finally see X-Men in the Lego stuff now are the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man far behind? I hope not.

I love Collector saying he once tried collecting musicians but none of them were in good condition. Funny, deep, and true.

The Santa stuff was SO stupid and crap like that is why I can never fully support the LEGO stuff.

Also Sam and Steve are BOTH Cap? How does that work? And how is Red She-Hulk the last Red superpowered person on Earth if Red Hulk is mentioned as her father but never seen?

If I had written this thing I would have included Scarlet Witch and Crimson Dynamo. Wanda in particular would be neat because she both has red in her name and IS an Avenger. I'd feel Nat's headgame with Collector there would be a lot more clever if she wasn't lying. If Wanda were present, she wouldn't have to be.

Also aren't Captain Marvel, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Wasp, and Vision Avengers too? Collector hardly had a full collection of them with so many notable names missing.

This take on Omega Red amuses me for how angry it will make genuine fans. I admit the take sucks. But I picture Wolverine fans getting far angrier over it than they should.

It's LEGO. It's got bad jokes, and the plot and themes are a mess. And yet it actually got a licensed song, which suggests a little more thought and effort (not to mention money) was put into this than usual. Not that I actually liked it all that much more. **1/2.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The News Team's Christopher Glennon posted a new review on the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Review: “LEGO Marvel Avengers: Code Red”: The Avengers Paint The Town Red"​

Avengers-Code-Red-Main-Photo.jpg

"The Marvel Cinematic Universe is one of the best things to happen to Marvel Comics and its characters since their inception. Tons of Marvel characters have become household names, and the movies are built on the concept of keeping fans eager for more. The problem is, movies aren’t churned out quickly like monthly comics. MCU movies shake things up. Heroes are born, heroes retire, and the Avengers roster is ever-changing. When an actor is done with a role, that’s it for the character.

Hence the need for MCU adjacent projects, which slow things down for fans who like to spend more time in the universe. Disney+ produces shows and mini-series, some with characters whose plots intersect with the movies, as a way to maintain interest in the brand. Then there are the animated shows, which have been heavily influenced by the MCU. The Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon in particular had the same spirit and nearly the same continuity as the movies. Avengers Assemble ended up being the longest running Marvel cartoon ever, but it struggled to keep pace with what was going on in the movies. The LEGO specials somehow seem to hit the sweet spot of being perfect for fans of the MCU movies who are attached to certain characters and don’t want to be confused by non-movie continuity."

Read the full review here.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts