"Migration" Talkback (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Migration

This movie is slight, bland, low-stakes, doesn't need to be made, didn't make me laugh a single time, is weirdly feelgood in the climax, and I was gonna give it a lukewarm (but passable) review.

Until the dance party ending.

Free storytelling tip for animated kiddie fluff: If you end your film on a dance party you are essentially handing me a laminated card that says "Matt, dump on me. Hard." Well, Migration, if you insist.

This is one of those movies that exists for the sake of existence. It fills no audience need or demand. I believe fluff movies have their place. I gave VERY high marks to Pixar's Luca with similar tone and stakes. But that one had charm and personality and a unique Italian sensibility. This is just corporate mandated blandness. And maybe I wouldn't have said that in so many words without the dance party ending. But dude, they just up and HANDED me the card! It felt a bit rude if I need to get huffy about it.

By the way, how are the penguins at Jamaica? Penguins cannot fly. Reason No. 147 this movie never needed to be made and had no clear vision whatsoever.

Is this animated films now? Am I supposed to consider the mediocre Wish an above average animated film now and like it for that? Because really, that doesn't strike me as remotely right. *.

PiotrGT

I thought Migration was fine, feel-good movie, but it wasn't anything special. Story was very straightforward. I'd say a good, safe movie for kids, but for some older audiences maybe it could be a bit underwhelming. Still, I enjoyed watching it.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I saw this movie back in January. It didn’t knock my socks off, but I still enjoyed it for some reason. It kind of hand a simple charm to it that I couldn’t help but to love.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts