Most of the titles Sentai Filmworks licenses are sub-only and I don't know why!

Vuxovich

I expected that Tokyo Mew Mew NEW will be acquired by Netflix or Crunchyroll, but Sentai Filmworks got the license instead and decided to release the anime sub-only, despite the original Tokyo Mew Mew anime being dubbed by 4Kids Entertainment. Is this simply because the dub of the original Tokyo Mew Mew anime was left unfinished?
In fact, most of the titles Sentai Filmworks licenses are subbed and not dubbed as of late. I am so upset about that weird practice. In my opinion, every anime acquisition should be dubbed. Does Sentai Filmworks' official policy says that the certain amount of their anime acquisitions should be subbed-only? I'm asking because I was so disappointed by the announcement that Tokyo Mew Mew NEW will be a sub-only release.

Streaker Prower

I expected that Tokyo Mew Mew NEW will be acquired by Netflix or Crunchyroll, but Sentai Filmworks got the license instead and decided to release the anime sub-only, despite the original Tokyo Mew Mew anime being dubbed by 4Kids Entertainment. Is this simply because the dub of the original Tokyo Mew Mew anime was left unfinished?
In fact, most of the titles Sentai Filmworks licenses are subbed and not dubbed as of late. I am so upset about that weird practice. In my opinion, every anime acquisition should be dubbed. Does Sentai Filmworks' official policy says that the certain amount of their anime acquisitions should be subbed-only? I'm asking because I was so disappointed by the announcement that Tokyo Mew Mew NEW will be a sub-only release.
Maybe Sentai wants to see how an Anime Does as a Way to show that it’s is Popular enough to get Dubbed

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Basically, we're back to how it was in the mid to late '90s and early 2000's- not everything will get dubbed and a lot of it comes down to whether the studio in question feels they will make their money back producing a dub. If the series is too niche, they probably feel it's not worth the cost.

Should be noted that even if a title is originally released sub only, that's no guarantee it won't eventually get a dub if enough people buy the sub version- notable examples from Sentai in the last few years include To Love Ru, Mayo Chiki, Kampfer, and some others I'm forgetting. Which sucks for those who bought the sub versions to begin with and have to double dip to get the dub, but that's the industry right now.

tykroma94

Basically, we're back to how it was in the mid to late '90s and early 2000's- not everything will get dubbed and a lot of it comes down to whether the studio in question feels they will make their money back producing a dub. If the series is too niche, they probably feel it's not worth the cost.

Should be noted that even if a title is originally released sub only, that's no guarantee it won't eventually get a dub if enough people buy the sub version- notable examples from Sentai in the last few years include To Love Ru, Mayo Chiki, Kampfer, and some others I'm forgetting. Which sucks for those who bought the sub versions to begin with and have to double dip to get the dub, but that's the industry right now.
Yea pretty much the case, since they're trying to dub titles that'll for sure make them money. What doesn't make it better is that Sentai can't really dub a lot of stuff due to the added fact that their studio doesn't have a whole lot of staff too, which is why we don't get as much titles dubbed from them and when they do produce a dub for a show they license, it isn't until after the sub ends before they release it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts