Onimusha (Netflix) News and Discussion

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Was announced almost a year ago.

Trailer for the Onimusha series was released. Premieres on November 2. Sublimation is the animation studio, Shinya Sugai is the dreictor, Hideyuki Kurata is the writer, Koji Endo is the composer, Shochiku was consulted for historical supervision, Keiji Tsuji was a stunt coordinator, the late Kim Jung Gi did the character designs, except for the character of Miyamoto Musashi, which is credited to Manilyn Toledana, and Takashi Miike was the supervising director. The late Toshirō Mifune was used as a model for Miyamoto Musashi. And yeah, Sasaki Kojiro is appearing. No word yet on the video game's main character Hidemitsu Samanosuke Akechi showing up or not.

External Links
-Netflix page

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Looks promising- at the very least can’t be worse than Capcom’s last Netflix anime (Dragon’s Dogma). Preferably, at least as solid as the Netflix Tekken anime.

Kinda weird how they’re using the likeness of a long dead actor, though, and as the first name dropped in the trailer.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Looks promising- at the very least can’t be worse than Capcom’s last Netflix anime (Dragon’s Dogma). Preferably, at least as solid as the Netflix Tekken anime.

Kinda weird how they’re using the likeness of a long dead actor, though, and as the first name dropped in the trailer.
9/21: Probably out of respect and/or a stipulation from his estate? Samurai Trilogy is the obvious reason, I would guess there were some big fans of those movies and Mifune that they went with that. Sort of in a way goes hand in hand with Onimusha using famous Sengoku era characters, use the most famous actor to portray Mushashi, too. Plus, just using Musashi alone wasn't out of the blue either, he was a hidden character in the Onimusha Blade Warriors game and one of the manga. So it all sorta coalesced.

11/3: Netflix posted a clip. I'm halfway thru it so far (8 eps total) and enjoying all of it so far.

EDIT: Ok, story came to rushed end and the big bad wasn't all that good. They left a lot of explanations to implication. Don't really fully explain how Remon discovered Genma and controlling them but there was some well done callbacks - like there was a third traitor after all and he gets his in the end. The little girl telling Musashi to grow up already then he agrees to think about it, ROFL.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts