R.I.P. Val Bettin (1923-2021)

Low Spark of Lyman

What a night! I had to do six encores at the club.
Belated R.I.P. to English-accented American actor Val Bettin, whom I recently learned had passed away on January 7, 2021, aged 97.

Early in his career, Bettin hosted the Chicago children's show The Storyteller.

Cartoon fans will know Bettin as a voice actor for Disney. He was the voice of Dr. David Q. Dawson in The Great Mouse Detective and the second voice of the Sultan in Aladdin (succeeding Douglas Seale). He also voiced Professor Porter in a few video games based on Tarzan. He was a guest voice in Disney television shows Mighty Ducks: TAS, Gargoyles, Pepper Ann and Hercules. His last roles were in Shrek (as the bishop) and an episode of W.I.T.C.H.

Oh, and he was one of the voice actors heard in Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

Bettin had onscreen roles in Days of Our Lives, Somewhere in Time, The Man Who Wasn't There, The Young Landlords, Disneyland, Webster, Voices Within: The Lives of Truddi Chase, Great Scott!, American Masters and Entertaining Angels: The Dorothy Day Story.

Here he is in a 1970 commercial for an auction held by Chicago station WTTW (courtesy of The Museum of Classic Chicago Television, which also has The Storyteller):

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts