Raya and the Last Dragon: A Victim of Executive Interference?

awinger24

I can give credit that WDAS' "Raya and the Last Dragon", is a step beyond what we have got in the post-Lasseter/Catmull era. Compared to Tangled, or Frozen, the female characters have different nose sizes and body proportions. "Encanto" took this approach even further in addition to giving Mirabel glasses, and they had to fought for having Luisa to keep her muscles.

However, I think many of the big critiques coming from it has to do with these factors.

The two original directors were replaced months before it was completed.

Sisu's redesign was definitely toned down and was made into an Elsa clone, reusing her CGI assets and placing her face on to a dragon.

The addition of Olaf-esque / contemporary comedy relief/side characters.

And maybe it is the pacing, but I would be onboard if Raya's run time was extended to 2 or 2.5 hours. That would give it enough time to do more worldbuilding.

And one thing that drives probably the lack of Southeast Asian representation is the dialogue. Which is too modern, on the nose, and gets in the way of a serious story.

I think all of this has to do with possible executive interference coming from the board of directors, focus groups, and shareholders. Even the addition of data and charts.

A few years since Jennifer Lee replaced John Lasseter as the one in charge of WDAS, it isn’t fair to put the blame on her.

Frozen II had last minute changes as well and it all has to do with this and pretty much anyone knows this.

Disney is marketing the film to a mass audience, but their core target right now is mostly kids. Children ranging from 5 to 13.

That’s why the modern dialogue, forced comic relief, and maybe the possible simplifications and compromises of the filmmaker’s vision tone down a potentially personal story.

I know many of the Walt Disney era of their films sanitize fairy tales all the time, including Cinderella, which the Brothers Grimms ending is darker. Even films like The Little Mermaid done this as well, but there are still fulfilling and timeless qualities that make these films classic to this day.

In the end, WDAS has been on a hot streak ever since Lasseter is gone, and with the news that 2D is coming back, I wish them and Jennifer Lee for the best. But the executives and shareholders, and of course focus group tests, still might hold things back. Eventually, WDAS is gonna catch up to the competition who have been putting out many new films with stylized and hybrid animation techniques. And returning to their roots of hand-drawn and cel animation will make them stand out once again.

TsWade2

I did make a thread about Disney bringing back hand drawn animation, but people are being doubting thomases. But, I guess I can’t blame them. Maybe I should just give up and not expect that to happen. And it happens before. :crying:

awinger24

I did make a thread about Disney bringing back hand drawn animation, but people are being doubting thomases. But, I guess I can’t blame them. Maybe I should just give up and not expect that to happen. And it happens before. :crying:
I'm confident Disney is bringing back hand drawn animation. And it has been confirmed by Eric Goldberg.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I am very sure Raya And The Last Dragon had major executive interference. And if what I heard was true, it's a very good thing. I heard that Sisu was originally supposed to die FOR REAL in the original script, and Disney put its foot down that she be resurrected at the end. Which is what is known as A Damn Good Note. I'd never forgive the girl who killed her (as the movie wanted me to) and I would have left the movie with a scowl on my face. The problem was they made Sisu TOO damn lovable to kill for real. Once the filmmaker's decided on such a cute and appealing personality, they needed their head's examined in thinking it's okay to kill that kind of character off. Spoiler alert: It's not. Especially in a kids movie. It's never actually okay, but a kids movie is especially the wrong place to do it.

TsWade2

I'm confident Disney is bringing back hand drawn animation. And it has been confirmed by Eric Goldberg.
That’s true. Thanks. But I’ve been obsessing about it for awhile, so I’ll probably trying not to bring that up again, unless they have a new project coming up.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?
TVLand, CMT, MTV2 (as well as Nickelodeon channels) will be simulcasting Kids Choice Award 2024 according to zap2it!

Featured Posts