RIP Richard Moll, Voice of Two-Face in the DCAU

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Richard Moll passed away at the age of 80. Probably best known for his role on Night Court, more relevant to this board is his portrayal of Harvey Dent/Two-Face on Batman: TAS starting in 1992. He returned to voice the character in later shows and also had other, minor voice roles in other DC Comics cartoons throughout his career.

Frontier

Staff member
It always hits hard losing one of the most recognizable voices of your childhood, especially losing another B:TAS alumn.

I feel kind of bad for having no frame of reference for Mr. Moll's work outside Batman, but I would say his portrayal of Two-Face is up there in the echelon of some of the greatest comic book voice acting.

His portrayal of the duality of Harvey Dent and his scarred alternate persona and the tragedy and pathos inherent to it was such a character defining performance that it's the gold standard for the character. Almost every voice for Two-Face feel like they're trying to reference or evoke Moll to some extent or another.

RIP Richard Moll.

Otaku-sempai

Rest in peace, Bull.

It always hits hard losing one of the most recognizable voices of your childhood, especially losing another B:TAS alumn.

I feel kind of bad for having no frame of reference for Mr. Moll's work outside Batman, but I would say his portrayal of Two-Face is up there in the echelon of some of the greatest comic book voice acting.

His portrayal of the duality of Harvey Dent and his scarred alternate persona and the tragedy and pathos inherent to it was such a character defining performance that it's the gold standard for the character. Almost every voice for Two-Face feel like they're trying to reference or evoke Moll to some extent or another.

RIP Richard Moll.
I'd suggest checking out some Night Court reruns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Bull was one of my absolute favorite TV characters as a kid. I really liked Night Court. Just a few months ago, I was pity watching the new series with someone and discussing how sad it was to know so many of my old favorites from the show were gone. Moll was such a unique presence. This huge intimidating guy that you'd think would mostly make a career playing scary heavies but outside of something like the movie House, I can only think of him as a comedic live-action character. Whenever I've seen him elsewhere, my mind just went back to the dopey giant teddy bear he played on Night Court. Bull was such a lovable character and I can't imagine anyone playing him quite like Moll did. Definitely one of those shows I remember always getting to watch with my late grandmother.

As a kid, I didn't recognize he was Two-Face but when I found out, I felt silly for not noticing. Neither Harvey Dent or Big Bad Harv were recognizable to me as Richard Moll before I knew the truth. Now, I can recognize his voice wherever I hear it but it was such a cool discovery to learn this was him. He was so darned good in the role too, outside of just having a great voice.

I never get used to this stuff. RIP and thanks for the irreplaceable memories. As far as I'm concerned, the coin will never stop flipping.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I realize Moll did more voice acting; I just focused on his big role for DC Animation since this is where I posted the topic. Meant to post something on Marvel Animation too, but couldn't quite think of how to word it, he didn't have a "main" role there, he was the second voice of Scorpion on the 90s Spider-Man cartoon (following Martin Landau).

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Great as Two-Face, obviously. Another role I always enjoyed him in was the gym teacher in Sidekicks:

vlcsnap-2023-10-28-07h49m14s863.jpg

WAKE UUUUUUUUP!!! This is gym class, sonny boy, not nap time! HOW DARE YOU FALL ASLEEP IN MY CLASS!!!

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
On Mighty Max, he was Norman, the one with the sword.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew there was something that my mind was just not recalling at the time. I still remember where I was when I saw my very first episode, and it was a Norman focused episode. I think he was facing off with what killed his dad.

For some reason as a kid, I think I knew he voiced Norman before I even knew he voiced Harvey Dent. Maybe at the time, it was easier for me to recognize him in the role of the grizzled but friendly adventurer than the debonair young attorney who becomes a psychotic gangster.

jkoolpe

RIP Mr. Moll.

As with Kevin Conroy and pretty much any of the other characters from the Timm/Dini/Romano/and all of the others behind the glory that was DC animated universe from BTAS to JLU, it will be your voice that I will forever hear whenever I read or watch anything else with Two Face included as a villain/character.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts