Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken Talkback (Spoilers)

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
I could've swore there was a thread for this, but I couldn't find one. Maybe it was destroyed by the downtime last year. Anyway, it's on Netflix now, so since I didn't go to it in theaters, I watched it.

It was all right. Looks great, but it's yet another movie with the "twist" villain trope. Not to mention... the whole motif of a teenager going through a bodily change is directly comparable to Turning Red. Now I'm not saying either Pixar or DreamWorks were copying each other, but it is a strange coincidence and you'll probably compare and contrast the two movies, if nothing else the scene when her mother explains what's happening to her. Also, like Turning Red, Ruby has a group of friends who are each defined by a single quirk and that's it. I'm probably not the first person to draw the comparisons but if I don't do it in this thread, someone else will.

ShadowBeast

It was all right. Looks great, but it's yet another movie with the "twist" villain trope
Chelsea actually wasn't planned on being Nerissa, and Chelsea would've been seeking revenge on Ruby's mother for killing her.
I guess they changed that since it would've put negative light on Ruby's mom. But it did feel like a better plot than the Queen of the Mermaids posing as a teenager because mermaids don't age.
Also, like Turning Red, Ruby has a group of friends who are each defined by a single quirk and that's it.
Aside from Chelsea, the sea captain is the only human character who isn't weirdly designed. It's like the group of friends were an after thought. Personally it would've been better we had more focus on them and more on the aquatic characters.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I saw it back when the DVD was first released. I thought it seemed like a mix between Turning Red and Luca (I’m not saying it’s a rip off). It was alright but I’m not dying to seeing it again.

aegisrawks

This was the first sign of an ill fate brewing on Dreamworks and sadly it would not be the last.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I saw this film last July and it was fine but I too wasn't fond of the twist relating to Chelsea since the original plan for her was much better than what we ultimately got.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
I thought it was a quite cute, serviceable animated film that didn't deserve to become the laughing stock of the year. Formulaic? Certainly. Soulless? Nope, that's Wish's territory.
It definitely isn't laughingstock worthy. It's not like it's Marmaduke from 2022 or anything.

zoombie

I liked the movie well enough.

But I always found it disturbing what happened to Chelsea, I rather she died than what actually what happened to her, and what it implies with her and the sea captain, maybe young kids might think that way, but us adults, ill. Though I have a feeling if this was successful and got a sequel, Chelsea (still living in a cage) and the sea captain would be married. I know she is older than she looks, but still.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts