Scariest cartoons you've ever seen.

CartoonFridays

Promoted to detective.
Here are my opinions of cartoons and episodes that were IMHO scary to me.

Family Guy - "Screams of Silence: The Story of Brenda Q." - For a show that relies on dog/baby adventures, cutaways and chicken fights, a show like this tackling domestic violence in a straight and serious way is pretty jarring and frightening. I could barely look at the violent scenes.

South Park - "Cartoon Wars (Part 1)" and "Butterballs" - The first because of Kyle's nightmare where he and Ike are vaporized a la Terminator 2. The latter because of its realistic depiction of bullying in the scenes with Butters and his grandma.

The Simpsons - "Brother From The Same Planet" - The "Now how 'bout a hug?" scene.

Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Big Picture Show" - I love the movie, but the climax is pretty frightening. Not to spoil, but it looks like he's staring into your soul.

The Powerpuff Girls - "Knock It Off" - Seeing the girls nearly killed is pretty unsettling.

Courage the Cowardly Dog - "Courage in the Big Stinkin' City" and "The Mask" - The former for the "violin girl" scene and the latter for the domestic abuse subtext.

Phineas and Ferb - "Phineas and Ferb Get Busted" - Seeing two lovable and cute characters getting tortured and turned into mindless drones can make one's heart to a quintuple-backflip.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToonEGuy

I would say the anime movie Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland, if only due to a scene that really spooked me as a kid where a bunch of people were chanting his name after releasing the Nightmare King. Haven't seen it in years, though.

Mist

Celebrating 20 Years of Sonic
Kenny getting chainsawed in half in the Halloween special of South Park.

Even more disturbing: Kenny going to hell in South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. I know South Park is a show that's meant to be offensive, and Kenny has died a lot on the show, but I think they really crossed a line there. Stopped watching the show shortly after that. Haven't seen an episode in about 12 or 13 years and don't plan on ever watching an episode again for the rest of my life. Simply disgusting. Really makes you wonder about the mental state of Parker and Stone, to actually want to create something like.. that. *shudders*

Stacy Cornbred's death on Celebrity Deathmatch. Yes, I know the show is about characters who fight to the death, but they were just parodies of celebrities, and their fights were comical. I never expected anything to happen to a member of the main cast of the show. To top it off, she was my favorite character, and I had a bit of a crush on her at the time, so it made me sad/disturbed to see her go. They made it worse by bringing her back as a zombie a year or two later and having her die once again.

I can't remember the episode title, but there was one episode of The Simpsons where Homer was playing basketball in a gym, he tried to do a slam-dunk, and got his leg tangled in the net, breaking it with a loud snap. He started screaming in agony. Then later when he was in a wheelchair, he tried to skip-out on the bill by running off, snapping his leg all over again. Hearing him cry out in pain was disturbing and sad at the same time.

Spongebob Squarepants. Can't remember the episode title. It was the one where Spongebob stole Mermaidman's belt. Spongebob pressed a button on the belt, causing Squidward to get chopped in half with a giant pair of scissors. Where were the Nick censors that day?

Invader ZIM. Dib getting tortured by piggies in the episode, "Bad Bad Rubber Piggy" felt bad for Zim at the end too, losing his brain like that.

The episode of The Angry Beavers where Daggett and Norbert's teeth grew too long. *shudders*

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
When I was a little kid, I thought the Superfriends episode where Aquaman mutated into a giant sea monster and Superman and Wonder Woman shrink themselves down and go inside of him to cure him was a bit scary, in a "Aquaman's a giant monster!" kind of way, but now as an adult I just think it of as a clever take on Fantastic Voyage.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Oh yeah, the "Aquaman becomes a giant shark" episode was scary, for some reason. Meanwhile, that episode where the Wonder Twins and Wonder Woman got exposed to radiation and became giant monster versions of themselves, that one didn't scare me for some reason.

There was an episode of "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" wherein the Tarantula got turned into a giant "half-man/half-spider" thing, and that scared me when I was a kid.

The opening scene to the Dungeons and Dragons episode "City at the Edge of Midnight" freaked the heck out of me as a child: with the kid being pulled under his bed by the monster. That was pure awesome.

coldglynx

The Real Ghostbusters- The Grundle
Extreme Ghosbusters- Grundlesque

The Grundle has got to be one of the most scariest cartoon characters ever. Not only was he scary looking. The premise about him was truly terrifying. Basically he was a ghost who finds a child and corrupts him or her into doing bad things. If the child continues to be manipulated by the Grundel. They will become a Grundle themselves.

I thought he was scary in The Real Ghostbusters but Extreme Ghostsbusters took it to another level. In one particular scene the Grundle stands outside a childs window and emplore the child to open the window and come out and play. Truly scary and edgy stuff for a morning cartoon show.

kid rabbit

a few episodes from batman the animated series and ninja turtles 2k fit this thread
namely the the ban episode of the turtles where Baxter Stockman creates a clone body for himself

JordanPowers3000

I can't say there are that many cartoons that 'scare' me per say nowadays, but I can certainly think of some that have given me the creeps and disturbed me quite a bit. They're all pretty much just films, no tv show episodes that I can think of at the moment.

Mary and Max, of course, as a result of being a black and white claymation film that's mostly intended to be a drama, has a very unsettling tone that's present through pretty much all of the film, some of which actually gets quite intense. However, this didn't take away from the fact that it was a great movie and actually made me like the film even more than I already did.

Fear of The Dark is an french animated anthology film that's a collection of short horror stories, if you like creepy animations you should definitely check those out. Rennaisance 2054 is a science-fiction film with a similar art style that's actually quite creepy as well

Richard Linklater's experimental animated films Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly are very psychologically disturbing and have a very creepy atmosphere that left me feeling kind of uneasy when I finished watching them, although I was still very satisfied with the movies.

By far the most disturbing of all animated films have got to be Felidae and The Plague Dogs, not just because of the atmosphere, but more because of the content. Very disturbing stuff happen in those films that I'm not sure I'm allowed to describe on here, but you should be warned those films are not for the faint of heart. These aren't children's films. In fact, none of the films I've suggested to you are.

I don't know of any for kids that genuinely creeped me out aside from Tim Burton/Henry Selick films. There's also tons of creepy animations that you can find on the web. I'm sure David Firth (aka Fat-Pie) is the first person that comes to mind with this sort of thing)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts