September, 2023--What Did You Buy This Month: Live-Action DVD/Blu-Ray/4K

Viper

I'll Never Forget You Two!
Hi, everyone! It's great to be back after all this time!

Here's what we have for this month:

Recent Theatrical/Streamed Releases (Combo)

Master Gardener
The Youtube Effect
Air
Joy Ride
Island Escape
Disney's The Little Mermaid (2023) (Combo & 4K)
Prisoner's Daughter
What's Love Got to Do with It? (2023)
Insidious: The Red Door
Sympathy for the Devil (Combo & 4K)

Live-Action TV on DVD & Blu-Ray

The Equalizer (2021): Season 3
NCIS: Los Angeles--14th & Final Season
NCIS: Los Angeles--Complete Series
Star Trek: Picard--3rd & Final Season (DVD & Blu-Ray)
Star Trek: Picard--Complete Series (Blu-Ray)
Young Sheldon: Season 6
Abbott Elementary: Season 2
Chicago P.D.: Season 10
Cobra Kai: Season 5
Poker Face: Season 1 (DVD & Blu-Ray)
Succession: 4th & Final Season
Succession: Complete Series
The Walking Dead: Dead City--Season 1 (DVD & Blu-Ray)
Fire Country: season 1
Family Matters: Complete Series
Interview with the Vampire: Season 1 (Blu-Ray)
Jack Ryan: Season 3 (Combo & 4K)
Loki: Season 1 (Blu-Ray & 4K)
Mayfair Witches: Season 1 (DVD & Blu-Ray)
Pennyworth: 3rd & Final Season (Blu-Ray)
Step By Step: Complete Series

New on Blu-Ray

Clambake (1967)
A Bronx Tale (1993)
Lost Souls (2000)

New on 4K

The Expendables (2010)
The Expendables 2 (2012)
Matilda (1996)
The Princess Bride (1987)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Ghoulies (1985)
Kiss The Girls (1997)
The Last House on the Left (2009)
The Exorcist: 50th Anniversary (1973)
The Last Dragon (1985)
The Toxic Avenger Collection (1984-2000)
Carlito's Way (1993)
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)
Natural Born Killers (1994)

So, what's everyone gonna get this month? It's great to be back!!!

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I posted in the animation thread a couple of days ago, time for me to share my live-action haul since the site went down. All but three of these are Blus.

• Fritz Lang's M- A masterpiece which I haven't seen in ages, I found the Criterion release for a good price at my usual shop and had to add it to my collection.
  • The Seventh Seal- Another classic I've been wanting to rewatch for a while, another Criterion release I found for a good price at my local shop.
  • Walt Disney Treasures: Tomorrow Land- I've been looking for this set for a while, this features a couple of episodes of Walt's program which focuses on ever-changing technology in the space race. Pretty dated, but surely fun to watch!
  • The Complete Films of Agnes Varda- A set I've been eyeing for a while, this was also used for a good price and thanks to some trades, I was able to get it for even cheaper. Although it's not totally complete now- I believe a lost short film of hers has recently been found.
  • Rhoda Season 1- "New York, this is your last chance". The Mary Tyler Moore Show gets my vote for the best TV show of all time, and the characters are a big reason as to why, Rhoda arguably most of all. However, I've seen little of her solo show, and it's time that I fix that. I got this at a shop I traded some things in for cash which offered me a little credit, and decided to use said credit on it. I also have the third season, so hopefully I can find time to start the show at some point.
  • Thief- Another cheap Criterion, Michael Mann has become quite popular on Twitter lately, and this is one of his best.
  • Videodrome- Yet another cheap Criterion release, this is probably David Croenberg's best, and I've wanted to get back into his work after last year's excellent Crimes of the Future.
  • Boyz n the Hood- A classic by the recently departed John Singleton, I've been wanting to add this to my collection for a while and I'm glad that I did for a good price.
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula- Probably my favorite book of all time and among the best adaptations made, even if I think it loses steam about halfway in. Still, Coppola's eye and passion is undeniable.
  • The Crow- A classic, Brandon Lee left us way too soon when he had so much potential. The soundtrack is a particular highlight- the epitome of 90s rock in one collection.
  • Friends: The Complete Series- I'm historically not a big fan of Friends, but it's going to be featured on my blog at some point and my completist side wants me to own everything that will be involved at some point. Thanks to another big trade, I was able to get the most recent complete DVD set without spending my own money, so I took the opportunity up.
  • Waterworld- I skipped July's Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble thanks to my favorite location's impressive selections, but I did make one purchase for their Arrow sale in August, as I've been wanting to give this another chance for a while. It's a bit of a mess, but the set design is out of this world and Costner does have a good eye.
  • Before Trilogy- At the same place as my other purchases, I found this for $30- ten bucks a movie. Considering how much I love these movies, I'm glad to own them.
  • Fargo- I'm not the hugest Coen brothers fan, but I figured this is worth another shot, especially as I like the second and third seasons of the show.
  • Men in Black Trilogy- I love the first movie, turned the second off pretty early as a kid, and never made it to the third, but for $3, I figured it was worth adding all of them to my collection even if I only really wanted the original.
  • L.A. Confidential- One of the all-time great neo noirs, I've been wanting to own this for a while and I'm glad to.
  • Planet Terror- I made a mistake here and thought that this had both Grindhouse pictures. Oh well, I'll find Death Proof at some point, but I'm glad to have at least half of the pair.
  • Salt- I heard good things about this one and found it for $2 during a binge, so I thought why not? Clearly, I have a problem.
  • 12 Years a Slave- Now this one I know is good and was only a buck. A total no-brainer.
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day- This was part of a 3 for $12 sale, and I decided to indulge as I have good memories of the original book and animated musical special from childhood (I believe that was an HBO production?). This appears a little different. in the original story, it's just Alexander who has the bad day, but now the whole family does? But if you're getting Steve Carell in your movie, you better use him, so I get it.
  • Cold War- I knocked this off my list earlier and was engrossed, so after seeing a cheap copy of Criterion's release, I had to get it.
  • A24 Horror 5-Film Collection- I found this for half of what Walmart was charging, so this was an instant yes. Five different films- The Witch, Green Room, It Comes at Night, Hereditary and X- which are all good for different reasons. It Comes at Night is the weak link here imo, while I debate between The Witch and Green Room for my favorites. The former was actually a double-dip, but I sold my old copy to justify the purchase.
  • Get Out- Surprisingly, I didn't own this yet, but I'm glad to now. Jordan Peele's incomparable debut which is as fun and astounding as it was when it was new.
  • Mandy- More horror, and one of my favorite movies from the past few years! I remember being blown away seeing this at my local arthouse and have wanted a copy for a while.
  • The Lighthouse- Another incredible film, featuring career-best performances from Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe. Needed this.
  • Midsommar- So I saw that this and The Lighthouse had recent rereleases at Target for only $5 with nice slipcovers. I bought the former earlier, but got this for that deal.
  • Pearl- Found this while taking a pitstop on my way home from a trip to Florida last month. The prequel to X, which features a transcendent performance from Mia Goth.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Two more titles-

• Walt Disney Treasures: Disneyland: Secrets, Stories & Magic- Another addition to my growing collection! This has a couple of episodes of Walt's series as well as a documentary made right around this time that was exclusive to this set. After spending most of my life as a Florida native going to Walt Disney World, I finally made my first trip to Walt's original park last year, so this will be cool to see what I recognize and what will be new to me.
  • Mildred Pierce- Another new Criterion addition, this has what may likely be Joan Crawford's best role, her Oscar-winning performance in an all-time noir. Glad to have found it for under $15.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts