"She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+ Limited Series)" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
shehulk.jpg

She-Hulk, a new comedy series coming to Disney+, stars Tatiana Maslany as She-Hulk/Jennifer Walters, a lawyer who specializes in superhuman-oriented legal cases-must navigate the complicated life of a single, 30-something who also happens to be a green 6-foot-7-inch superpowered hulk. She-Hulk will welcome a host of Marvel characters to the series, including the Hulk, played by Mark Ruffalo, and the Abomination, played by Tim Roth. The series is directed by Kat Coiro and Anu Valia; Jessica Gao is head writer.

Episode 1 "A Normal Amount of Rage"
Jen Walters's world is turned upside down after a freak accident leaves her with superpowers.

Related Links:
-Marvel on Disney+ News & Discussion Thread
-The Incredible Hulk Talkback Thread
-Daredevil Season 1 Talkback Thread
-Daredevil Season 2 Talkback Thread
-Captain America: Civil War Talkback Thread
-Thor: Ragnarok Talkback Thread
-Daredevil Season 3 Talkback Thread
-Avengers: Endgame Talkback Thread
-Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings Talkback Thread
-Spider-Man: No Way Home Talkback Thread

Official Links:
She-Hulk on Disney+
She-Hulk on Twitter
She-Hulk on instagram

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
"A Normal Amount Of Rage" - You know it's weird it's taken 42 years for She Hulk to get her own show, considering she was created for the very notion of getting her own show. Like it's weird to think about now but before Iron Man, Spider Man, X-Men and even Blade, the most popular and well known Marvel hero who had crossed into general live action pop culture awareness was The Incredible Hulk. Yeah back in the 70's it was Hulk who was most well known (and where you could get away with such mis information like calling the alter ego Dr. David Banner not Bruce for... probably some very stupid reason not worth getting into here) through his TV series developed by Kenneth Johnson. Before that show Kenneth was most well known for creating The Bionic Woman series, a spinoff of a character he created in the Six Million Dollar Man Series. Why am I bringing that up? Well the thing is though Six Million Dollar Man was based on a book series, thus the characters that came from that series were owned by Martin Caidin not any of the creative staff who worked on the series, Kenneth owned the rights of Bionic Woman due to creating the character thus got a big share of profits from that series airing. The creative team at Marvel then realized at the time that if Kenneth were to create his own Hulk for the series and spin them off and become popular then he would get the rights to that character thus why Stan Lee and John Buscema in 1980 decided to make their own She Hulk in the comics first. Which I believe is the last of the major classic characters Lee had a direct hand in creating who yeah was kind of created for a pretty petty reason to just gain the team a potential spin off character in case their first major TV series got one which... didn't happen. Which I guess still makes She-Hulk only the second most "created just a more technical business reason then just because we wanted to create a fun character" after Mar-Vell aka original Captain Marvel.

That's mostly because She Hulk actually wound up becoming a popular brand into herself after awhile. Why? Well because the team realized "okay we probably shouldn't just do the same story we did with Bruce Banner having this uncontrollable beast inside her turning her into a full on rage monster even the other heroes have problems dealing with so what else can we do with her?" And wound creating a much more fun light hearted character. One that yeah obviously was a spin off from The Hulk but certainly not only had her own personality and attitude, but just tonal aesthetic within the MCU. Whether that was being this sex symbol (which was a weird thing to push more at the time considering it was still this gigantic green "monster" who could rip you apart to shreds in second... remember this was the 80s when we didn't have an internet to sort out those kind of types) or having this self aware smariness that led to a lot of fourth wall breaking and gags. In fact something I'm hoping they have in this show is Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool cameo complaining he should be the only one who breaks the fourth wall in the MCU... but have Jen point out that's something She Hulk's been doing even before Deadpool debuted in the comics. This force of personality and general attitude has made She Hulk pretty well known even headlining a lot of Avengers team when Bruce didn't or couldn't suit up. I first remember he from the Incredible Hulk animated series from the 90's and I admit though I didn't really like that series that much I do remember liking her bits... yeah even the ones with Cree Summer most other people didn't. I admit though I didn't know if we'd ever see her in the MCU due to those whole Universal film rights with Hulk and making it seem like you could have any Hulk related character in the sidelines and it felt rather pointless to have two hulks in the sidelines. However I'm guessing some deal was struck because yeah we got this She Hulk show finally dropping with a pretty solid first episode with a couple of flaws but not really any big noteable ones.

One being it does feel like they are sweeping a lot of the teases under the rug. I get them maybe not wanting to delve yet into "how 4th wall aware is Jen" since yeah we have seen Deadpool talk to the camera in his films without questions but you get the feeling with how Jen notices it there should be more of a story behind it but not getting anything. But then you got the whole ship dropping down from Sakarr about this warming that Bruce just says "eh I'll deal with later" which... considering that this was the whole catalyist for why Jen got Bruce's blood on her in the first place feels like a pretty huge point to ignore. Also though it is refreshing to get a lot of the origin and power explanations out of the way in the first episode and get to the hero more openly using their abilities (I guess without a proper costume but though She Hulk has had several looks over the years that design can be flexible) any major emotional point which I guess at least this episode didn't have much of was Jen's whole argument of "I've had to deal with this sort of abuse and controlling it for ages I"m not you I can handle it" doesn't feel earned because... this is her first episode and we do see her get annoyed and turn into a Hulk being heckled even if she didn't do anything to those guys so... it honestly does feel like if this wanted to have reverence they would have saved it for like a couple of episodes down the line, not done it here. Yeah I get it comedic lawyer show but if your first episode is supposed to be some sort of emotional struggle it should still make context in what we know about the character and yeah though we get enough of Jen to get she isn't just a Bruce clone that moment still didn't feel really sold. I guess this was also ruined most by ads as yeah this a comedy so if a bunch of jokes are in your trailers your are spoiling the best bits but I feel the rest of the episode worked.

First off I am glad this at least addresses right away what exactly happened to Bruce between Endgame and now; I do like him trying to heal as Banner after the snap and using some of Jen's super enfused gamma blood to fully heal and be back more just as Smart Hulk. I also appreciate they make clear the big reason why Jen doesn't have so many issues as a Hulk that bruce did that took him years to control was because she doesn't have an alter ego. Which yeah is something also from the comics that again separates the two and makes enough sense where I'm fine with that as the explanation. Plus though nothing really that epic I appreicate the She Hulk vs Hulk fight we got here. Especially Hulk using the clapping move and then Jen finding a variation of it to do a bunch of mini claps that ring in Bruce's ear as he has to cover them up. That worked well. Plus a fair amount of the jokes worked for me here like all of those women in the bathroom managing to patch Jen up so easily thinking she had suffered from domestic abuse (which is a joke that shouldn't have worked but they found the right balance to actually make that funny) to Bruce talking fondly about how he and Tony built the bar in that secret area though admiting he built most of it with Tony just funding it and getting drunk as they worked on it. And I admit Jen hulking out just to prove a point as well as the end going "CAPTAIN AMERICA F----" were not only amusing bits but really hammered in her character and how it is different from Bruce Banner. As well as her lawyer speak about doing an apology and still phrasing it in a way of her not owning how much of a jerk she's being. Like I will say as much as people get on Marvel's case obnoxiously for disliking this show for the.. stupidest of reasons, one thing this and Miss Marvel did well was really set up their heronie and how she relates to the world so let's hope this doesn't make the other show's mistake.

So overall decent start. I am hoping we now have time for more witty banter or bits now that the origin has been hammered out and can focus more on the wacky law based shennigans in and out of the court room but still good use of Hulk, good introduction of She Hulk and good way of separating her from the more well kown Green hero so again, good. Remember it also took Harvey Birdman a few episodes to really spread it's wings solidly... also hoping for a reference to that Attorney At Law series in this one but eh I know that one's the pipe dream.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This is going to be a fun series. Maslany and Ruffalo had great chemistry. Dig how the fourth wall break is used well here to segway to the origin story and get it out of the way in an interesting manner. It's cool Bruce wasn't there just to be a high profile guest star and his ongoing arc got expanded on, he's back to 100% and has some message trying to be delivered to him. I guess the Sakaar ship is seeding World War Hulk or Hulking. It was amusing how Bruce was flippant about an alien space ship and shows how much he's been through to make light of it. But then on the flip side, he's still sad about Tony's death. Even the end credits art was hilarious. Neo pretty much hit all the other points but I'll probably rewatch and note anything else.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
She-Hulk: Attorney At Law "A Normal Amount Of Rage"

That was an outright great opener. Qualitywise I'll give it five stars (compared to the rest of MCU). But let me be absolutely blunt. That fact doesn't impress me in the slightest. I loved Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight's openers too. And The Falcon The Winter Solider and Hawkeye also opened strong. The Marvel Studios shows put all the money and effort into the Pilots, and with the notable exception of Loki, all quickly decline and fizzle out by the end. The first episode of this show being great is typical, and frankly, it doesn't matter. Let's see how things are going forward. I will remain a skeptic until then.

We have a few things to note. First, I was hearing complaints about the CGI from people who watched the trailer (I did not) but it looked fine in the episode itself. More than fine when you realize we finally got live-action MCU Hulk on a TV budget.

I was in a DBT group years ago, and that specific method of therapy was nothing but a pain in the ass. I'm not saying it wasn't helpful, but it's the only therapy program I have ever been in that required freaking homework. It being the therapy choice of Bruce for an increasingly frustrated Jen is totally apt on every level.

I like Jen's observation that as a woman she has more practice keeping her temper in check than any man could ever mansplain to her. She's right there.

I don't think less of Steve Rogers for losing his virginity on a USO tour with a random girl. I think less of him for bragging about that to Bruce.

As far as MCU canon goes, we learn that Hulk turned back to Bruce after Endgame because he was unable to integrate the personas with the injured arm. With the arm healed (finally!) we see that Smart Hulk is actually Bruce's preferred mode of being. I don't blame him. Smart Hulk is cool.

In conclusion, it was great. And that fact doesn't impress me in the slightest. *****.

Frontier

Staff member
They added Jane to the intro :).

It's interesting that they started Jen off as a prosecutor instead of a defense attorney, as most are probably used to seeing her at this point. It makes me curious to see why she decides to start defending people, particularly Superhumans (since she's going to get stuck with that), instead of pursuing being a prosecutor :).

Already with the 4th wall gags! It seems tied to her Hulk transformation, but are they going to address it at all? I'm not sure which way I prefer it :p.

Jen and Bruce really feel like cousins and Jen's banter and sass is as on-point as ever! Now she just has to learn to love being She-Hulk :proud:.

It's weird seeing them discuss Cap's virginity in-universe since I feel like they confirmed he lost it to that USO girl like a while ago, but I guess it's something characters in the MCU would actually think about...to the point of making a mystery board about it! Ah, Jen :anime:.

Ah hey, they explained Bruce being in his human form in Shang-Chi! I wonder if they'll use that again ;).

That's an interesting way of revamping Jen's origin. I mean, maybe Bruce wouldn't be desperate enough to use his blood for a transfusion, but in this version Jen basically takes ownership of her own origin since it's her pulling Bruce out of the car while they're both bleeding that gets their blood mixed up rather than something Bruce does while she's in critical condition o_O.

Female solidarity from those random ladies in a bar bathroom :anime:!

Ah, the bane of any female Superhero (or women in general) in existence...pushy guys at a bar :rolleyes:.

Tony creating a secluded area for Bruce to chill out and relax reminded me of that unbreakable room in a mountain that they'd stick Hulk into so he could transform back into Banner in the comics. I wonder if that was intentional :knd1:.

Man, it's kind of rough seeing how badly Bruce is taking Tony's death. Even moreso because none of the original Avengers are around any more and the chances of him and Clint palling around are next to nothing :(.

Oh hey, they just...casually healed Bruce's arm! I mean...great? I thought they left Bruce that way to show the impact of undoing the Snap and because they just didn't seem interested in a Merged Hulk...actually doing anything, let alone fighting. But maybe I sold Marvel Studios short :D.

They also just casually waved off the Sakaar messenger ship that showed up. Um...kind of want to know a little more about that :oops:.

"Smart Hulk." I prefer Professor Hulk! Although honestly I wonder if ol' Savage Hulk is still in there somewhere, just waiting to come out :rolleyes2:.

You know who would love that Hulk blood? The Leader :evil:.

I mean, Jen kind of has a point about the fact that she has an actual job and friends to get back to outside having superpowers while Bruce has kind of isolated himself. None of the Avengers seemed to really have lives outside being Superheroes, and Marvel Studios really doesn't seem keen in Bruce actually interacting with legitimate Hulk supporting characters other than, well, Jen. We'll never get to see Rufallo play off William Hurt as Thunderbolt Ross and Betty only exists in What If animated land at this point :french2:.

Bruce being surprised that Jen doesn't have another personality in her Hulk form makes me want them to explore why Bruce does. I know in the comics Bruce's multiple Hulk personalities stem from the abuse his father subjected him to and the death of his mother, so that could be the case here, but would that seem redundant after Moon Knight basically did the same thing? Also the fact that Bruce and Jennifer are both genetically compatible with Gamma Radiation. Could that be a complete coincidence :confused:?

So it seems like the take they're going with is that Jen, as a woman, has had to learn to control her emotions, her anger, her fears, all her life (as I'm sure other women can relate) which lets her be a bit more adept and a quick study of mastering her Hulk form. But I wonder if they're also building up the idea that she's so different for the reveal that she has her own Savage Side just waiting to be unleashed at some point :ack:.

(Still way more nuanced than any of the stuff Jason Aaron did with Jen in his Avengers run).

"I don't want to be a Superhero!" Ha! That's kind of funny coming from Jen knowing that in the comics she absolutely loves being a Superhero, but I guess this is progressing her to that point :cool:.

A lot of people have given Marvel Studios flack for weakening The Hulk, so it seems like they tried to rectify that by showing that baseline Hulk seems more overtly powerful than She-Hulk, even if she can still basically do the things he can with a little more practice and repetition. Also he probably wasn't going as hard against her during the Hulk vs. She-Hulk fight as he could have...

Titania sure showed up out of nowhere...and got taken down in five seconds. Like, what was she even doing there? She had no idea about Jen at that point, so was she there for payback as to whatever the guy on trial did to people? How is she so strong? Will she get a power upgrade so she can properly fight Jen? Just a lot of questions there :elle:.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I'm okay with them getting rid of Jennifer getting the powers through a blood transfusion because he is probably well aware of what contact with his blood could do like with Samuel Sterns. It's funny I guess in a way Incredible Hulk kind of foreshadowed this.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
She-Hulk: Attorney At Law "Superhuman Law"

I was very interested in seeing this episode. Second episodes of Marvel Studios shows follow a pattern. Usually the Pilot is great, and the second episode is a little LESS great, and then the show turns to crap from that point forward. This was not less-great than the Pilot, which is encouraging. I think the thing that tells me this series has the potential to work out is that the episode totally stayed in its lane. The premise is comedy and the episode remained a comedy the entire way through. Ms. Marvel going in the opposite direction is what utterly destroyed that show. I'm still pissed that a show with as great a first episode, as appealing a lead, and as fun a premise as that just became a nonstop downer instead. I would love to have blamed Jeph Loeb for that, but it was entirely Kevin Feige.

Either he's learned from that mistake, or more likely, it's simply that the intention of this series is different.

Hulk is on a spaceship? Hmmm.

Mark-Linn Baker is one of the rarest of actors who is equally as gifted in comedy as he is in drama. That is VERY unusual. It's always good to see him on my TV again (although I think he should lose the creepy porn-star mustache).

I was annoyed by the end as much as Jen was because because Blonski's redemption story seemed totally solid. The way he described the reason he was put into prison sort of casts that entire thing into doubt to not just Jen, but for me too. That fact tells me there is something else going on for that ending. But I really responded well to the idea here, and as much of a loser as Tim Roth makes him seem to us, he's also weirdly compelling and sympathetic too.

This is the first Marvel Studios show in a WHILE not to suffer a second episode sophomore slump. I'll get a fuller picture next week, I think, but the fact that I didn't really have anything to object to or make me uneasy is promising. ****1/2.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Week 2 and still love this series.

Gotta say I love the courtroom artist style art in this show and the placement is so good! Like when the news channels are reporting on the She-Hulk-Titania fight. And Titania was only there for traffic court, lmao. A super powered influencer? Intriguing...

Mel Walters was awesome. Loved him right away. His question about Hawkeye and his arrows. But checking in with his daughter and saying exactly what she needed to hear. Great dad. And the end tag. So hilarious. heh heh. Don't touch those wires again! And the excessive water bit. lolz.

Everything going through Jen's head/4th wall as Holliway leads her around the Superhuman Law Division was gold. Pug! Even though it's been years, still weird to see that actor after Arrow. But the map to the best bathroom for pooping. I totally did that when I went to college. Holliway seems to fit the bill of a boss in a law drama - "I don't joke. Ever." Or the 'send Bob Thompson to Minneapolis because he hates the cold.' Wow, fun foil for Jen.

And "She-Hulk." Yeah, that was done just about how I thought it would. lol, the "to suddenly debut superpowers just to drum up publicity for yourself?"/"Only you would think that." Dennis, totally the worst. lol'd at the question of if the Avengers have healthcare, maternity leave, a pension, or even get paid. Or kudos to the writers sticking to the rules, like Jen falling over when she turns back in the bar on her boss's request. Fired for doing the right thing. Dannnng. But makes sense 'the enemy' would then scoop her up. That's a recognizable law drama device, the DA type now has to be a defender of those she tried to prosecute.

Emil Blonsky. Huhn. The fact that he specifically wanted Jen implies a scheme. At least Damage Control seemed to take better safeguards against Blonsky than they did the Clandestines.<cough><cough> Well, expect for sorcery. Intriguing that Blonsky seems to have reformed and rightly so like us Jen is wondering if he's being truthful or not. Kudos to her already forming an angle after he mentioned being a pawn of the government and being pumped with the Super Soldier Serum. Good writing. Taking MCU canon and putting a twist on it to make you second guess who the bad guy really was then kinda think ok, what did Emil omit during that conversation. But the seven soul mates bit? Uhhh ok. Loved Jen needed to ask/tell Bruce first before calling Holliway. Ending it on the leaked Golden Daggers Club footage from Shang-Chi and her 4th wall "Oh. That sucks." :D :D :D

As for the greater MCU. Ok, cool, they've followed up from last week instead of leaving us guessing and set Hulk off to a new storyline. And in a way that gives Hulk a plausible exit and from here on, it's She-Hulk's show 100 percent now. Obviously there's the World War Hulk movie rumors, the theory full rights revert back next summer, and the Hulkling rumors/theories. I liked that Hulk and Abomination got addressed and it turns out Blonsky wrote him a nice letter and a haiku and they're ok. You hardly see that in the super hero genre. Loved the meta joke with Bruce he's a completely different person since that incident. heh heh. Also a bit of easter egg and continuity stuff but freeze frame when Jen looks at the 10 Offbeat Jobs website, on the side column is a nod to the ending of Eternals - Tiamut (something like giant statue sticking out of ocean?) and what feels like a super obvious set up for Wolverine (man with metal claws in bar brawl). And I think tabs about Ant-Man and Norse myth. Or at family dinner there was the reference to Bruce's snap in Endgame. It was also neat when Jen's dad acknowledged a couple things to put it in perspective like 'you didn't destroy a city' like your cuz did (in AOU).

Frontier

Staff member
Okay, so they're still not really giving much of a frame of reference for Titania. She's a super-powered influencer? She was there for traffic court and just had...like an outburst? Where did she get her powers from? What exactly is her deal? I know she's going to be coming back, but it's just surreal for me how little they explained about her o_O.

Wolverine reference! He's getting into bar fights! And Tiamut is still sticking out, so I guess it hasn't been that long since Eternals happened ;).

Dennis was like every sexist cliche they could fit into one person in, like, five seconds :rolleyes:.

Ah, I see they're getting making fun of the codenames out of the way before Jen takes ownership of it...but would it be so wrong of her to not mind the fact that she's owning that she's a woman in her Superhero name instead of deriding it? It feels like there's a lot of criticism towards Superhero names with female descriptors that I don't think is quite necessary, but at least Jen seemed to grow to like it, as she should :).

Jen asking all the real questions about what it means to be an Avenger. Do they have maternity leave even though they only had, like, two female members? One of whom was infertile and the other who had to magic up babies with an android? Didn't Sam Wilson imply they really didn't get paid at all :murphy: ?

I was wondering how Jen would lose her prosecutor job, and it turns out being a public person with powers and causing a mistrial is bad for your career. And most people don't want to hire a Hulk :ack:.

At least Jen's family is taking her Hulk status swimmingly (and also made use of it for themselves), even if they're super embarrassing about it. But her dad gives solid pep talks :).

Holloway is quick to jump at any opportunity, be it a mistrial for his client or to scoop up a lawyer for his new Superhuman Law division! And in doing so he's given Jen more of a reason to be She-Hulk :D.

Look at those comics! I really want to get a better look and see what they had in there and what it says about MCU canon :p.

Gotta be pretty nice to be able to bring in your paralegal who is also your best gal pal :elle:.

OH NO, IT'S PROMETHEUS! JEN, STOP HIM!!! Oh, wait, no it's just Josh Segarra playing Pug! And he seems as much of a sweetheart as always. I wonder if they'll adapt the thing of him pining for Jen while she's completely oblivious and keeps friendzoning him. I swear though, if they make a "10 steps ahead of you..." joke, I will riot :anime:.

Did Jen find shoes that can actually take her Hulk form? Glad she doesn't have to go barefoot so much :proud:.

I guess it's good to see Damage Control security can be effective...provided you don't have magic :oops:.

"It wasn't personal" - says the guy who wanted to be as strong as The Hulk, and went out of his way to fight The Hulk :mad:.

So are they just going to gloss over the fact that Blonsky forced Sterns to inject him with the serum that turned him into the Abomination? After they already had Banner in custody? And then he rampaged? Ross is partially responsible for Blonsky, but I don't think the Super Soldier Serum is completely to blame for why he went evil. Maybe he's just playing the long con here or is truly genuine about re-forming, but I wouldn't trust him :confused:.

It's nice that Jen called Bruce to get his permission to take the Blonsky case...even though she was going to do it anyways (isn't it rude to completely talk over someone, irregardless of gender?). But I can see where Bruce is coming from, it's been...a decade or two since he fought the Abomination? And a complete actor change/personality shift. Also looks like Bruce will be in space for the rest of the series :birdman:.

Ah, I see Wong's excursion into a fight club with Blonsky in Shang-Chi was construed as a prison break...I don't think Jen is going to be very happy with Wong there :(.

reflection01

Bone, keep in mind this was the original pilot episode. Last week was originally episode 8. So there’s still time for you to hate it.

I recognized Josh Segara as Lance from the Other Two but I didn’t know he was Adrian Chase in Arrow, easily one of the best characters in the last few seasons of Arrowverse shows.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Bone, keep in mind this was the original pilot episode. Last week was originally episode 8. So there’s still time for you to hate it.
Didn't know that, but the fact that Episode 8 was actually great is telling too, isn't it?

How many episodes are there supposed to be?

Neo Ultra Mike

"Superhuman Law" - Now it was said that in the original writing stage "A Normal Amount Of Rage" actually was one of the last episodes of this series. It was the backstory episode to explain where Jen got her powers from and most of the rest of the series would have just had her with the ability to transform from She Hulk to Jen without really giving a reason why. I bring this up for two reasons; a lot of people have an issue in the first episode and yeah even me to a certain extent with Jen's "I've had to deal with anger more then you" because it comes from a character we don't know really anything about and is just presented to us. That bit was obviously meant to be presented originally after having seen a lot more of Jen and her struggles which we see a bit in these episodes and can infer much more about her as a character. Kind of like how in WandaVision though the theme was about pain and grief they wanted to showcase Wanda's descent and current status first before peeling back the layers of her psyche. But either due to just wanting the show to make more sense in context or wanting to do things differently that was the opener instead of well THIS episode which yeah watching this one now you can obviously tell in a sense this was meant to be more of an introduction to Jen and her struggles and general attitude and honestly in that respect actually works well.

What I appreciate to is that though we are still going to get more of an arc instead of just a bunch of one shots this will obviously be one of those stories where each piece gives us a unique part and puts on a separate journey and the fun that comes with that. Here is the set up that Jen due to taking out Titania is now seen by the world as She Hulk and can't go back to her original profession at all due to well all the baggage that comes with having to deal with super heroics which honestly not only is entertaining but it does put you a lot in her head space and on her side as well. The whole idea of doing the right thing but then wondering if it was because of how much it screws you over and then being offered this other opportunity and now having to jump through even more hoops is really interesting. I also heard a lot of the bits that involve She Hulk were altered somewhat so due to not wanting to constantly use CGI for this character 90% of the time they came up with reasons why to have Jen turn back but I think it works. And it also adds to the character's frustratons and difficultiies; that the frustration of having to be seen as she hulk when at the office she can't even the protection of that form having to see the dangerous prisoner she mostly knows for trying to kill Bruce. Add to that all the family members being obnoxious about it and the different reactions she gets from her job again show more of Jen's character and they show how she deals with frustrations that again makes her freak out at Bruce in the first episode if this was how it was originally prestented work more in context because it feels actually more earned.

That's not the only thing I like though. For starters I actually really like the story so far of what this season is going to be about; seeing if Jen can actually get Abomination/Emil a pardon for his actions. And I am glad we got the scene re establishing this guy because... though I did like the idea of Emil overly wanting to get at the Hulk so much he became a counter he wasn't that interesting a guy in The Incredible Hulk but actually taking the time to flesh him out and show even if not regretful that much he has changed and seems cured of his psychosis works. And I do like pointing out "yeah I was only like that because of a bad reaction to the super soldier serum that was given to me" which as we saw in Falcon and Winter Soldier is actually a thing most people can't handle and yeah technically never started out a villain it was just something sort of forced on him because of that so I could see an easy way of getting him out... and then of course that being complicated when he does seemingly get out. And I do really like how that ties into it being that cage fight in Shang Chi we'll now finally get the full story of as yeah that felt kind of like a tease I'm glad is part of a larger story. Some people have pointed out that doesn't make sense in the time line since shouldn't actual Bruce be cured and be in space now which he wasn't at the end of Shang Chi but there's a lot of explanations for that (including the bruce in the shang chi credits is a skrull) but that doesn't detract from them actually using the show and movie continuities well. Moon Knight you could easily get into without knowing anything MCU and with Miss Marvel it was mostly references and maybe only knowing the end will lead to another movie but this is a show I'm fine with you having a bit more awareness of the universe which makes sense considering who She Hulk is.

And yeah the comedy is still well done. Good jokes on Jen having to be cheered into going She Hulk again and then later being filed and constantly failing job search after job search, going from She Hulk to Jen and having her drunkness climb back into her, instantly agreeing to that new office just to get back into law again, being denied a Silence of the Lambs reference (which I'm sure the guards are just sick of people making), Emil's plans on living with the 7 people he's pen pals with, the "ha hah" bit on Bruce feeling like he was a different person fighting Emil (part of me wonders if it'd be funnier if t was even MORE direct but worked for what it was) Jen's reaction to the news at the end and yeah the after credits bit doing mundane tasks as she hulk. So overall good stuff. I do like how this one didn't even have a fight in it showing you don't need action for this show to work and honestly sometimes it feels like these MCU shows just have action bits to try and make it seem like more happen then it did. So yeah hope the others are at this level especially now that we're probably to be getting more cameos and references to further complicate the narrative happening.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
shehulk.jpg

Episode 3 "The People vs. Emil Blonsky"
She-Hulk represents Emil Blonsky aka The Abomination, but his parole hearing doesn't go as planned.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

"The People Vs Emil Blonsky" - Though I'm not against the structure of a lot of the MCU shows as others are I will admit that especially in the later episodes it is getting annoying especially watching these week to week of the formula a lot of these stories have; having good openings and though sometimes the endings not always working at least having the characters go through an arc usually leaving the viewer feeling some general sense of enjoyment about the events. But it's in the middle where things sag especially since we're dealing with only one specific goal for our heroes to hit and just waiting for them to do so. Which is honestly why this may be the most refreshing of the MCU shows. Like WandaVision had a gimmick each episode but was a mystery still revolving around one specific goal and What If though episodic and trying to eventually attach everything to a big event at the end, was telling it's own differing narratives with other characters so it didn't really count. This show however is different as though there probably is a bigger story going on especially at the end with Jen vs the Wrecking Crew, there can be just specific small victories and bits where the payoff isn't like several episodes down the line. I have a feeling another sort of MCU show would of made the whole Abomination Trial be the full focus but no we get the set up in the last episode and the pay off for it here. And in addition we get to set up more of the characters as well; I admit I'm not familiar with Pug since again I haven't read much of the specific She Hulk episodes so his appearance last time didn't really give me anything to work off of. However I really like him in this episode and I think it's a good idea to have another case going on to set him up and that other lawyer Mallory and use someone we saw a bit of Dennis to connect all that.

I will say though having to speak negative for a second She Hulks "oh hey look we're connecting the A and B stories" isn't really that funny. As was the "just remember whose show this is" comment as well because just being meta and self aware on it's own isn't enough and it really needs to be sold by the character. And now that we get to really know Jennifer and her struggles bits like that feel more like a mouth piece for the writers then the character itself. Especially since Jen's whole thing isn't about attracting a whole load of attention on herself and more just doing her job and to me those kind of major swinging meta references you need someone with more self swagger who does want to be more about themselves and stealing the lime light. A Deadpool or say Rick Sanchez I could buy having those sort of lines but She Hulk/Jennifer Walters it does feel a bit off. I also don't really get the big deal of the ending of Jen looking into the mirror as... how is that the stinger? You'd think it'd be the Wrecking Crew Guys realizing they couldn't infect Jen for... whatever reason so why cut back to her? Is that implying something did infect her or what? I'm just saying compared to how the last two episodes ended this one was rather weak. Speaking of weak, though I think the CGI on She Hulk in most shots was great some of the bits of her walking to her office felt pretty off and yeah that could of been done better. I don't usually notice stuff like that but it did catch my eye hear so I'm sure it will people who care more about that kind of thing.

That said again I do really like the stories that were told here. I appreciate that yeah Emil has fully changed and him just going Abomination was actually to show "no I am fully in control" and him being fine with being given an inhibitor so he can just live his life actually is a nice ending for the character. I have a feeling we may see him again in this series or down the line but honestly I think I'd be fine with him being with his pen pals (I appreciate actually seeing them and seeing them enthralled by Emil like that) on his mediation farm. I also like that the reason Wong actually broke Abomination out was he actually did want a fight to practice his abilities on to become probably a better more direct Sorcerer Supreme. Heh it does feel off him talking about his training after seeing him get pwned by Wanda so easily in Dr. Strange and the Multi Verse of Madness but that's not this show's fault and also like the reference to no Way Home talking about his annoyance at having to do memory spells and how much of a hassle they are. I think my favorite bit was him showing up admitting how different times are and then when it's pointed out "hey wait you did confess to letting the guy out" and him just leaving through a portal. Also good stuff actually seeing the connection Emil made in the prison as well as him giving Jen the advice of needing to be in control of her own narrative and that ending with her doing the interview pointing out she didn't even come up with the She Hulk name... but still the news guy cutting off by describing a topic Jen didn't have any idea about so you know that issue's still present. Which I'm fine with as I think the joke and talks there work. i have a feeling people are going to cry fowl about that bit of those various youtubers talking about their annoyance of she hulk and wanting more male heroes and wanting her to be original but... honestly I would be fine shredding more of these kinds of fans/people honestly. Also appreciate the dig at the original She Hulk origin with it being one of those rumors here as well.

And again props to the side plot of building Pug up. I really like the idea of Dennis being stupid enough to believe he was actually in a relationship with Megan Thee Stallion so bought her all of these things just to get with her which... I mean to be fair having seen some of Megan's biggest songs at least feels like something her singer personality would certainly do. But yeah then the reveal it's just actually a shape shifting trickster elf from New Asgard was great. I appreciate this show actually dealing with more there now being all of these incredible elements in the MCU and treating them as a mix between of routine and annoying with this Runa just going around trying to impersonate Pug and make him seem like a sexist jerk or even the judge and that just making the case worse for her. And then doing the whole "Asgard isn't a place but a people" and "yeah thor's heroic speeches aren't technically appliable here" and actually having Dennis win by Jennifer pointing out how idotic and pathetic the guy is with the ladies and yeah would spend so much thinking he would have a chance. Just fun stuff there that again helps build up Pug some as well. The ending tag with megan I admit if it was just her and She Hulk dancing would of been a bit cute but not that funny but Megan actually finding Jennifer a lot more fun then her previous lawyer and Jen fan girling out did make that bit funny. I also give major kudos for Megan Thee Stallion appearing here as herself and them even playing her songs especially since well... Megan is ridiculously anti Disney in terms of her general attitude. I mean her most famous song is still WAP right?

So yeah though some jokes and the ender wasn't good I did really like this one. Having one case won and getting to know another lawyer and though having a bit of a battle still just having fun with She Hulk and these cases did work for me. And I'd be down with though there probably be something built to most episodes being like this. Now that the premise has been more firmly established think they can go more off to the races with these cases and likely cameos since heh we all know who the next one will be but more on that next time but yeah again solid ep.

Frontier

Staff member
Even Jen is starting to realize her show is becoming chock-full of cameos and guest appearances ;).

So Wong straight-up just took Blonsky out of his cell, without his consent, to get him into a cage match so he could prove he was worthy to be Sorcerer Supreme, gave him the chance at freedom at Kamar-Taj instead of immediately taking him back, and while he did own up to it in the trial, immediately ran away rather than face any legal consequences for his actions. Man, Wong is kind of terrible :sweat:.

Mallory Book shows up for a cameo appearance and showing she doesn't have time for this nonsense as well as the fact that no matter how minor or major a character, you can always race-bend a redhead black :rolleyes2:.

Dennis continues to be the worst, even as a client instead of just a rival lawyer, but having his less than stellar exploits with women on display was hilarious. As was Jen getting to rip him a new one on the witness stand. It was also nice to see Pug carry a sub-plot, and I finally know how to pronounce his full name :).

Oh, so the Light Elf was related to an ambassador in New Asgard...that might explain why she's not on Vanaheim :anime:.

The funny thing about "Runa" is that's the name they came up with for the Tessa Thompson Valkyrie when they integrated her into the comics :p.

The Avengers rejected her? There aren't even any form of Avengers left to vet her :rolleyes:.

Will this be our only Abomination transformation this season? I appreciate the comic-accurate look, although I kind of preferred the effect on his voice in The Incredible Hulk :knd1:.

Oh hey, they mentioned Jen's Mafia hit origin from the comics :D!

I know the Wrecking Crew have kind of become the perennial jobbers of the entire Marvel Universe, but this was a very...not so stellar debut of them in the MCU. Looks like they still have Asgardian weapons though, just probably not from Loki and not enchanted to give them their superhuman powers. Maybe that'll come from the Hulk blood they're after :evil:?

Wait, isn't Thunderball supposed to be black? He was a white dude here? Unless the real Thunderball is the ringleader since he's a scientist who'd want Hulk blood :confused:?

So is Jen finally starting to appreciate being She-Hulk when it's starting to really settle in how powerful she is now compared to the average woman? She doesn't have to cower in fear? And that's before we get into the bonus' it's going to add to her dating life :elle:.

They changed the ending sequence to add Megan Thee Stallion and Blonsky leaving behind his Soulmate Harem! Neat :murphy:.

I feel like I'm not in-tune with enough to really get all the Megan Thee Stallion jokes...but here's She-Hulk twerking and threatening to kill people for her O_O.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Wow, she got him parole.

It was a nice to see Pug get some focus and figured out Jenn's work history was the key to winning the case. A Light Elf was an interesting choice. She certainly didn't help her case.

The thing that made me laugh the most was finding out Wong used to work at a Target for 9 years. Or when Wong's "Just Wong. Wong, Sorceror Supreme. Master of the Mystic Arts" and later when he bails once the board brings up his crime. :D And of course the judge saying they don't accept Thor's inspirational speeches here.

Yeah, like others, I wasn't feeling the Wrecking Crew's debut. Felt very tacked onto the end and they were pretty lack luster. Still, should be interesting to see who the boss. Would have to be someone who knows Hulk blood is special. And that's a short list. Leader?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts