wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"South Park: The End Of Obesity Hits Paramount+ May 24"​

rfug5eb8.jpg

"The latest Paramount+ South Park special has been revealed and dated: it’s called The End Of Obesity and it will premiere next week.

Cartman has insisted since 1997 that he’s not fat, he’s just big-boned, but his doctor seems to disagree. Eric is ordered to be put on “semiglutides” — in English, an appetite suppressant only available through prescription. These things have become popular in recent years as weight loss drugs, whether the taker really needs them or not (you know how this goes).

But it’s not as easy for Cartman to get his hands on some Ozempic or Mounjaro as he would like. Turns out these things have an age limit and can’t be given to children. He’s ultimately denied coverage, driving him to seek the drugs out through other means.

Neither the trailer nor the special’s description reveal if we’ll actually see what a slimmed-down Cartman looks like, but the notion that anything is capable of breaking his bad habits and vices, even medication, is difficult to believe. We think Cartman’s zeal for unhealthy food will overpower his medically induced fasting in the end."

Read the full article here.

And here's the promo:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well since the pre news thread didn't really get any talk about I don't really see the need of making a discussion thread so might as well get my thoughts on end of Obesity here.. though I'll be nice and put it in spoiler tags.

I admit I am kind of sick of having each of these specials have like a big Randy plot in them I know he's one of the central characters now but they need to space him out in these better. I will say though I am glad like with the "Not Suitable For Children" special they are using it to tell a Randy story of him more screwing himself over and hey for once he actually comes clean to Sharon about what's happening.... granted it's not over a major thing like say causing COVID but I do actually really like the ending of him realizing the weight loss drugs were nothing as good as his actual drugs and wanting Sharon to be the way she was and for them to party like the two used to do. I admit I do kind of miss the very early days where the two were both pretty bad parents and had major issues so getting a bit of that at the end is nice plus even someone like Randy feeling the ladies were taking it too far to get their diet pills was good stuff.

i think what won me out on this being a solid special was the stuff with the boys particularly Kyle. I do like the runner and idea of Cartman only wanting to be thin so he can stop being made fun of for being fat and thus can rip on everyone without them having anything to rip on him for (even though as other episodes have proved you can rip on Cartman for being a sociopath... and an idiot... and the idea that no one really likes him-) but honestly having Kyle actually to get Cartman the medicine and then being screwed over due to how the health and doctor's medical system works is good stuff. And yeah this is one of their more on point commentaries of how it does feel like a literal back and forth nonsense just to try and get health care paid for and how difficult if not impossible that process is made. And though the bit of the Cereal Mascots teaming up as like drug kingpins could have felt like "that's kind of a funny joke but you're over doing it" actually came together well was in the big ending chase with the other moms. it worked because yeah typically the boys are at this point kind of inactive players just observing the insanity at this point but not really able to do much about it as seen in other specials but no Kyle so ticked off actually is fine with gunning these people down and yeah I still get where he's coming from. Kyle works well as the moral solid center of the group and I do really like the idea of him wanting there to be semigludes for everyone and yeah that winding up not working but yeah him fighting for them was good stuff.

Some jokes could have been better (why go with a Stormy Daniels joke after an Oppenheimer one with the giant sugar concotion? I don't really get that. Also the Lizzo runner really needed a better zinger at the end and more an explanation why they feel her music sounds like crap) but the beats click well and it is a very solid special. I have to say feels like Matt and Trey have really gotten a rhythm to these specials now that they can just be one special double length episode not two meshed together thus can think through the jokes without obnoxiously padding them all out.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The News Teams' Golden Geek has a new review on the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Review: “South Park: The End of Obesity”: A Decent Weigh-in"​

vlcsnap-2024-05-28-18h49m58s101.jpg

"After twenty-six years on the air, it seems difficult to find an obstacle the boys of South Park wouldn’t be able to overcome. The quiet little mountain town has been rocked by extraordinary, always topical occurrences enough to shed any of its still reputation. Yet even the unshakable Cartman must face the music in “The End of Obesity,” another Paramount+ special that delivers the typical series charm on some fronts but takes advantage of its extended length to overstay its welcome.

Ask anyone who knows him – Eric Cartman is big-boned. Yet, in 2024, things are quite different for people like him than they once were. A miracle drug can make anybody thin and, in Cartman’s eyes (this week), untouchable…as long as they can afford it, that is. When his finances don’t cover it, a strong-willed Kyle is out to find another solution, not just for Cartman, but for the rest of the world. After all, why should weight management be a cheat code only for the wealthy? As any past viewer could likely expect, the gang has some unexpected and powerful opponents.

The main focus of the special is on weight loss drugs, Ozempic being the most recognizable. They’re not quite at peak trendiness but have stayed in the conversation long enough that a special won’t spoil too quickly. Of course, the satire cuts deeper than just the drugs themselves – critique of the American healthcare system plays a major role. A bright, shiny new insurance office pushes the boys around from doctor to doctor, with Butters giving a naively cheerful number that’s easily the highlight of the special. “Hey, fellas, I think I’m lost in the American healthcare system!” The abuse of the healthcare system doesn’t go unscathed, either, as the slim mothers of South Park wrestle plump Cartman for the shots they desperately “need.”"

Read the full review here.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts