Spider-Man: The Animated Series: What was the Gargoyles name?

The Question

Searching for answers
Name Spidey often talked with a Gargoyle , does someone remember his name?

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
OneManHairBand said:
The gargoyle's name was Bruce - it was an inside joke from the creators in a reference to Batman.
I always assumed they were making fun of Batman's alter ego with Bruce the gargoyle, was it ever confirmed anywhere?

Stu said:
I always assumed they were making fun of Batman's alter ego with Bruce the gargoyle, was it ever confirmed anywhere?

Can't remember where I saw it now, but I'm pretty sure it was in an online interview with John Semper where he mentioned the gargoyle being a metaphor for "Bruce" Wayne / Batman.

RAINMAN

Kikoutei Densetsu
That was so funny,espcialy seeing that fox was airing both shows on their channle during that time.:D

Anarky

Team Conan
yeah, though i haven't see the show in over a decade i do believe the gargoyle was named Bruce, an obvious nod to the Batman. It was Spidey's brooding place...and we all know how much the Batman broods. Not to mention how often we see the Bat perched atop gargoyles in Gotham City. Heck, I've got 4 Batman-gargoyle statues in my collection!

1. The Bowen statue from the early 90's
2. The Jim Lee statue
3. The Mini Japanese import
4. The Japanese Import Batman wall gargoyle
there's a even an import that has Batman crouched atop a Joker "gargoyle" (got that too)

Nightwing

WF Old Man
OneManHairBand said:
The gargoyle's name was Bruce - it was an inside joke from the creators in a reference to Batman.

That is incredibly interesting. Does anyone know the who/how/where/why specifics to this? I knew the gargoyle's name was Bruce, heck I talked to him too about stuff and things and things 'n stuff. I didn't know about the Batman inside-joke though.

Being that Batman and Spiderman are two of my top characters, I'd love to know the specifics.

Spider-Man

I always got a kick out of that joke. Once Spider-Man called him "Bruce" is became one of my favorite recurring jokes for the series. Too bad they didn't use it more. I think they only used it a handful of times. I have to wonder if there were any other subtle DC references the crew sneaked in there. Obviously they can't directly reference any DC characters but they must have made a sly comment or two about some.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Spider-Man said:
I always got a kick out of that joke. Once Spider-Man called him "Bruce" is became one of my favorite recurring jokes for the series. Too bad they didn't use it more. I think they only used it a handful of times. I have to wonder if there were any other subtle DC references the crew sneaked in there. Obviously they can't directly reference any DC characters but they must have made a sly comment or two about some.
"Another dip in that chemical soup and your hair might turn green!" always made me chuckle.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts