Spider-Man Unlimited Costume - Cool?

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Hey

We're all aware that Spider-Man Unlimited was a pretty messed up cartoon both in terms of animation and storyboarding... but some of the designs were pretty cool, at times. One of the more shocking redesigns was Spider-Man himself! Gone where the red and blue tights, replaced with Reed Richards designed nanotech.

What did you think of the suit, overall? Needless accessory? Cool looking? A stain on Spidey's good name? In case you can't tell, it's the one on the right in the image below. The other 2 are Spider-Man's "Earth" design, and of course, Peter Parker.

smuchar00.jpg

Image courtesy of www.storyboardpro.com

Comments?

Arsenal

Magneto was right
I'm certain I am staining my name by admitting this, but I liked many of Unlimited's ideas. I just don't think they were well executed.

Things I liked:
1) I thought many of the character redesigns were good, especially Spider-Man and Green Goblin.
2) They subtly found a way to incorporate many cool parts of the Spidey mythos. For example, Jameson as the Wolfman.
3) I enjoyed the way Spidey was tempted without Mary Jane.
4) In general, the mutants on top and humans on bottom scheme was an interesting concept that foreshadowed House of M.

Yes, the symbiotes were tacked on; and most of the rebels seemed to only exist for toy deals. But there was potential here. It's akin to The Batman. Had it been given the chance, I think the show could have recovered from its shaky beginning.

S.C.B

Too close.
The whole thing was very 'meh' for me... and that includes the costume. But the classic Spidey outfit looked awesome. The animation was pretty good as well, with little to no of the stock animation footage being re-used like in another certain 90s Spider-Man cartoon...

sdp

miscrave
I thought it was a nice change and it was actually pretty interesting.

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
It's not a bad costume. A little too Spider-Man 2099, but it's cool. I'd like it better if they got rid of the cape and put some webs on the red part of the costume, though.

Dr. Furball

Quack of All Trades
This is just the title. If you'd ignored me, you could be reading the post right now.

I loved the character designs in general, especially the classic costume used in episode one. The "Unlimited" outfit, I think, looked pretty cool as well. It borrows from 2099 when it comes to the cape, and the colors and designs on the costume made it look..uh...futuristic, in a good way.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
I always liked the Unlimited costume except for the web cape. I've always felt that looked messed up.

I also like how similar the design is to the futuristic Spider-Man spin-off. I 2000 something. I'm pretty sure that was what they were going for.

King_of_doom

kiva fan
Looks like we all agree that the costume is cool except for the web cape, i like the designs too the only ones i didnt like it was the villains animals.

staticblue

the costume was ok, but looking at the other 2 designs, I think it would have been really cool to see a news spider man show in that animation with those peter and regular spiderman designs. no off world crap, no new costume, no jacked up looking venom and carnage. It would have been cool to see the armpit webs in action

S.C.B

Too close.
Yeah, I would have just preferred a continuation of the 90's series than what we ended up getting. With the new animation and voices, it could have been pretty good, IMO.

Bones Justice

Bring on the noise!
I like it though not as much as the 2099 version. I remember in the 2099 comic that the cape was some kind of material that helped him glide greater distances. I think the Spider-man clone / Ben Reilly / Spider-girl costume is another cool alternative they could have used but that may have been after this series was created.

Is ABC Family ever going to re-run Spider-man Unlimited? I think they have run through Spider-man TAS several times recently without showing Unlimited again.
Oh yeah, um, I still prefer the original threads but I liked the cape for the new design. If they were going to change the costume anyways, I say make it a real change.

Spider-Man

Like everyone before me the cape didn't totally work but the design is pretty sharp. They even used this costume in the cancelled Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man and it looked great done by a regular comic artist (Graham Nolan I think). I think what I enjoyed about this costume was the obvious influence of the Spider-Man 2099 design. It really did look great and I wish they just had a better series to go around it. My only complaint aside from the cape was the nano-bugs used to form the costume. I didn't like that idea.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts