"Spider-Man Vs Doc Ock" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment On This Release!

• ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
A new DVD release featuring four episodes from Spider-Man: The Animated Series is released today!

docockdvdsmall1.jpg

Spider-Man Versus Doc Ock
Studio: Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Release Date: June 29th, 2004

Synopsis: Get ready for more spine-tingling excitement as America's favorite Super Hero battles Doctor Octopus and a host of his most famous foes in these thrilling animated adventures. Doctor Octavius was a brilliant scientist working on a revolutionary new invention until a laboratory accident fused a set of mechanical arms to his body and turned him into the dreaded supervillain Doctor Octopus. Now Doc Ock seeks his revenge on those who did him wrong, and there are only two men who can put an end to his plan of destruction -- Spider-Man or his secret alter-ego, Peter Parker!

Bonus Features:
-60's Episode: The Power Of Dr. Octopus/Sub-Zero For Spidey
-Stan Lee's Soapbox
-Five exclusive Episode Introductions
-A preview of The Venom Saga
-Animated Menus

This thread is for discussion of the DVD and it's features. To talk about the episodes themselves, please use the talkback threads, which are linked below.
-#6: Dr. Octopus: Armed And Dangerous
-#43: The Cat
-#44: The Black Cat
-#46: Partners

Comments?

Spider-Man

I've only had time to watch the first Doc Ock episode but it was great to watch it. I quickly went through the extra features and it seems to be the same extras we always get. I'm going to dive in a bit more later but it looks to be another good release from Disney.

Spider-Man

It's not a bad disc. The episodes on the DVD are pretty good. They got the great first Doc Ock episodes, and some other ones featuring The Black Cat. It's not the best by far but it is a fine release. And since I doubt we'll ever get season sets of these shows, this is all we're probably gonna get.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It's not a bad DVD at all. I think, transfer/audio wise, it's the best one yet. The features are similar to the previous ones too.

I think that the episode selection brings it down a little, but I'm happy to see any episode on DVD. I do have to wonder why we didn't get audio commentaries, like the X-Men and Hulk discs have.

Did anyone find any easter eggs?

Spider-Man

Amazing Spidey said:
Did anyone find any easter eggs?
Are there easter eggs in this set? Does anyone know?

The set was alright but it seems like we're getting just more of the same and its starting to get really repetitive. It'd like to start seeing some different featurettes come about from these sets. I hope the next Spider-Man DVD has more interesting extras.

The episode selection is this disc's greatest flaw, though. Much like all the other DVDs, the episodes just run out of steam at the end. We see Doc Ock's role diminish as each episode comes up. It's disappointing.

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
Y'know, I love Stan Lee, but he really needs to get over his tendency to summarize in the episode introductions. I don't need to hear a summary of an episode that I'm just about to watch! Why can't he give us some actual behind-the-scenes information, like, "Well, this episode is an adaptation of a comic written by...." or comment on the theme and character, like, "I think this episode really shows what Spider-Man is all about, because...." rather than, "This is what's going to happen in this episode," followed, ALWAYS, by, "You're gonna love it."?

Other than that, this is another okay disc in a stream of okay discs. Better episodes than Ultimate Villain Showdown, not as good as the Green Goblin disc or the Daredevil disc. I doubt I'll pick it up-- good thing my work had it for rent or I might not have bothered.

I don't have it yet, is their ANY commentary from John Semper or anything about his FOXKIDS violence restrictions and the no-punching rule?

Does ANY Spidey DVD have Semper commentaries?

Spider-Man

Wayman Tisdale said:
I don't have it yet, is their ANY commentary from John Semper or anything about his FOXKIDS violence restrictions and the no-punching rule? Does ANY Spidey DVD have Semper commentaries?
None that I know of. I wish they would give him the mic becuase he was the driving force behind the show. The guys here at Toon Zone have done some cool question and answer interviews with him. He talks about the censor problems a bit here:

http://marvel.toonzone.net/spideytas/semperinterview3.htm

I would like to see these show acknowledge the creators who worked on the show. I know this applies to more than just DVD but the limitations with each release is really starting to show with this one.

Spider-Man said:
None that I know of. I wish they would give him the mic becuase he was the driving force behind the show. The guys here at Toon Zone have done some cool question and answer interviews with him. He talks about the censor problems a bit here:

http://marvel.toonzone.net/spideytas/semperinterview3.htm

I would like to see these show acknowledge the creators who worked on the show. I know this applies to more than just DVD but the limitations with each release is really starting to show with this one.
WELL SAID. if you're a big Spidey fan you have to feel cheated when see these DVD releases and their lack of tangible features. John Semper especially needs to be interviewed on every release or I feel it's always incomplete.

He's a VERY candid dude!

P.S. By the way, how did you get the honor of the tag name "Spider-Man" there must've been a major war for that when this site first opened?

Spider-Man

Wayman Tisdale said:
WELL SAID. if you're a big Spidey fan you have to feel cheated when see these DVD releases and their lack of tangible features. John Semper especially needs to be interviewed on every release or I feel it's always incomplete.

He's a VERY candid dude!

P.S. By the way, how did you get the honor of the tag name "Spider-Man" there must've been a major war for that when this site first opened?
I can understand Stan Lee being there for sure. He's created the vast majority of the characters on this DVD, but the show should look at the people who worked on the show like the writers, directors, producers, etc. From the interviews I've read it does seem like Semper is very candid and would have alot of stories to tell.

And did we really need that Silvermane episode on this DVD? It's on par but not as bad as the Rocket Racer episodes from one of the previous DVD releases.

As for my handle, I just lucked out that no one picked it yet when I signed up. I didn't even join this site for a good seven or eight months after it opened and I was very surprised to get this.

Spider-Man said:
I can understand Stan Lee being there for sure. He's created the vast majority of the characters on this DVD, but the show should look at the people who worked on the show like the writers, directors, producers, etc. From the interviews I've read it does seem like Semper is very candid and would have alot of stories to tell.

And did we really need that Silvermane episode on this DVD? It's on par but not as bad as the Rocket Racer episodes from one of the previous DVD releases.

As for my handle, I just lucked out that no one picked it yet when I signed up. I didn't even join this site for a good seven or eight months after it opened and I was very surprised to get this.
Thanks for those links to the interviews, fascinating stuff. Although John Semper was a lot more candid and dished the dirt much more substantially than Stan Berkowitz did who I found a bit cryptic, reserved and too pithy for my taste.

John Semper even went into personal antecdotes of Avi Arad busting his balls more than anyone in the process. What a pain in the butt it sounds like to work on that series creatively. I don't think I could work on a Spidey series where you couldn't throw a punch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Batman

The Dark Knight
I really enjoed this Dvd . Seenig Ocky on The BIG sceen he was Amazing , but The Doc Ock of The animated series was the Best Doc Ock. Also I love seeing The Black Cat again. this a good DVD:cool:

Amazing Spidey said:
It's not a bad DVD at all. I think, transfer/audio wise, it's the best one yet. The features are similar to the previous ones too.

I think that the episode selection brings it down a little, but I'm happy to see any episode on DVD. I do have to wonder why we didn't get audio commentaries, like the X-Men and Hulk discs have.
I hate to break it to you but girthy episode selection, commentaries and extras are ALL people look for in a DVD otherwise just tape it off TV and that's a wrap. Nice video/audio transfer just isn't enough these days when the DVD is $14.99 you're a kid with a paper route making 30 bucks a week longing for juicy extras and commentaries.

Face it, Marvel perpetually screws us with these lame releases. The only one from Marvel oddly enough worth it's salt is the MTV original release of it's Spider-Man TAS. It's got ALL 13 episodes and several extras at only 19 bucks.

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
Wayman Tisdale said:
I hate to break it to you but girthy episode selection, commentaries and extras are ALL people look for in a DVD otherwise just tape it off TV and that's a wrap. Nice video/audio transfer just isn't enough these days when the DVD is $14.99 you're a kid with a paper route making 30 bucks a week longing for juicy extras and commentaries.

Face it, Marvel perpetually screws us with these lame releases. The only one from Marvel oddly enough worth it's salt is the MTV original release of it's Spider-Man TAS. It's got ALL 13 episodes and several extras at only 19 bucks.

Not that I disagree with you, but you should note that Marvel does not release these discs (or the similar single-disc theme compliations of X-Men: TAS, or the superior release of MTV Spidey). The DVDs are released by the copyright holders of the individual show, which in the case of Spidey: TAS is Buena Vista, which I believe is owned by Disney (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure Marvel gets royalties, but they don't have any creative control over the price, packaging or content.

Spider-Man

Mynd Hed said:
Not that I disagree with you, but you should note that Marvel does not release these discs (or the similar single-disc theme compliations of X-Men: TAS, or the superior release of MTV Spidey). The DVDs are released by the copyright holders of the individual show, which in the case of Spidey: TAS is Buena Vista, which I believe is owned by Disney (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure Marvel gets royalties, but they don't have any creative control over the price, packaging or content.
And this is really frustrating becuase it denies us alot of potentially amazing extras and features for the disc set, extras that comic fans would love to have. We do get Stan Lee but what about the other creators who have worked on these characters? I can't see Stan Lee providing any adequate feedback for the Venom DVD. I really think we should be hearing more with the series creators. I would like to know why we got alot of Felicia Hardy in this series, especially given how focused the Doc Ock DVD is on her.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts