Spiderman Movie: Lessons for Batman?

Spiderman Movie

I just saw the Spiderman movie and it was excellent. You can really tell that the creators took the comic seriously, as they do when they bring Marvel superheroes to the big screen (ex. X Men, Blade). All the movies had actors/actresses that fit the role perfectly. If only DC could do that. Why can't DC get competent directors for its superheroes who actually know about the superheroes? Why is Tim Burton like god in the DC movie universe? He's not that great of a director! Get someone like Kevin Smith who actually knows and likes the comics.

Tim Burton was (I don't know if he's still doing it) going to direct the next Superman movie. He wanted Nicholas Cage as Superman and Chris Rock as Jimmy. Although I think Cage and Rock are excellent actors, that's 2 huge miscastings for major roles.

What do you think?

Web Head

Girlfriend + Bridge = Bad
McG is officially directing the next Superman movie. The only film of his that I know off the top of my head is the recent Charlie's Angels remake. No word on casting, but I always say you should go with the unknowns. Find the actor that screams Superman at you and use him, even if nobody other than his mom has heard of him.

As for Burton, he's revered because he made the only good comic movie of the last 15 years or so until X-Men and Spiderman came out. He's come the closest to bringing the comic to life, but that doesn't mean someone else can't do better.

And you don't even need Kevin Smith to direct the movie. Just geta B-movie director who is doing cheesy horror movies (hey, it worked for Spiderman :) )

Mattashell

Before punk,there were NUGGETS
Originally posted by Web Head
McG is officially directing the next Superman movie. The only film of his that I know off the top of my head is the recent Charlie's Angels remake.

That's because it's the only thing he's ever done, besides some music videos.

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
I know that you guys are talking about Superman as well, but since Spider-Man's name is in the title shouldn't this be on the Anitainment bourd?

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
Well, the topic does point toward Batman: What will it take to make a Batman movie as good as "Spiderman."

I'll change the thread title. Maybe that will help. ;)

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
Anyway...I definitly think the guys at WB should look that Spidey movie over and think before they make the next Batman movie. (Or Superman) They can do it just as good if they don't keep putting it off.

Knight

Emerald Knight
Spiderman is a very good blueprint of a comic book transfered to the big screen.

The Green Hornet

if spiderman showed anything its that the character has to look like his comic book counterpart and have all his powers in the movie-- dont short change him

this means 2 things for the next superman movie

1. NO WILL SMITH OR BRENDAN FRAISER! NO NO! BAD WB BAD!

2. NO FLIGHTLESS SUPERMAN! NO NO! BAD WB BAD!

Mattashell

Before punk,there were NUGGETS
Originally posted by The Green Hornet
if spiderman showed anything its that the character has to look like his comic book counterpart!

GreenGoblinMadThrow.gif

spideymoviegoblin1.jpg

Yeah right!

Dogasu

Rubber ducks kill babies?
Well, you have to remember that the creator of Spider-Man and the X-Men (Stan Lee) is still alive, while the creator of Batman (Bob Kane) and the creators of Superman (Schuster and Spiegel...I think...I can't believe I don't remember their names!) are all dead. So I think a director will try harder when they know that the person who created the characters will eventually see the movie. They'll be a lot less likely to make a bunch of "artistic licenses" that movie directors tend to make when the creator is right there on the set.

Barb Gordon

Nin-Mod
You know, that's a really good point you bring up there, Dogasu! It never occured to me, but the creator being living or deceased does play a part, whether minor or major, in how a movie is done. I've posted my thoughts concerning the Spiderman/Batman movie issues that I'm all burnt out. But basically what I say in all of them: WB/DC should wake up and start taking notes. If they don't, they're gonna get screwed by Marvel. Just imagine what kinda of Batman movies we could get if they used the team that made Spiderman!

~Barb

DR.MID-NITE

The Original
Barb,
That is what I said in the other DC movie thread. That their is more involvement from the Marvel creative team (Stan Lee & Avi Arad) then DC has with Warner. No one to say, no you can't or yes you can.

Toddman

Hulk not good with words.
There sure seems to be a lot of panicking going on concerning the Spider-Man movie and the current state of DC movies. I think everyone should just relax.

For one thing--a great Superman movie has already been made. It came out in 1978 and was called Superman. A great Batman movie has already been made. It came out in 1989 and was calledBatman.

Both were Academy Award ® winning films as well as critical and financial successes. Both movies had tremendous publicity and were loved by comic book fans and general movie-going audiences alike. Both produced three sequals. The first two sequals of each were also financially successful.

I'm not sure if movies that were not made in the last five years look "dated" to some fans today or what, but to call Superman and Batman anything less than blockbuster hits is inaccurate at best. Personally, I feel that Superman is not only just as good of a comicbook adaptation movie as Spider-Man, but it is in fact a better film in general. From acting to cinematography to music it is a much superior product. And Batman was to artistic design and dark moodiness what Spider-Man is to CGI special effects and spot-on character development.

And second--- It seems like a lot fans are not only forgetting about those two films, but getting very upset about movies that were never made (Tim Burton's Superman Lives) and will probably never be made (McG's Superman's Angels).

Also, it's my opinion that we should leave the small-budget, dialogue-driven comedies to Kevin Smith. I think Dogma showed us that any movie scenes that require something else, may be a little out of his range. And don't get me wrong, I like Kevin Smth's films and enjoy his style of writing (sometimes in the comics more than on the big screen), but just because someone is a big comic book fan doesn't mean that he can direct a good comic book inspired movie.

Toddman

jm5150bc

Blockbuster hits don't mean good movies necessarily... even the Spice Girls sold a bazillion records !!

I loved the 1st and 2nd Superman films when they came out (still do), but they don't exactly hold up today. I would love to see Lex the corporate tycoon instead of Lex the sort-of-bufoon in the 1978 movie, but the source comic book material of today is more sophisticated than that of the 70's so I think that a new movie done correctly could show that growth. Not to mention the fact that with today's technology, they could really do Superman well...

As far as Batman goes I think I would agree that the 1st was the best, but I don't think it was a great movie- and Bob Kane was indeed a consultant. Believe me, when I left the theater, I was SO glad that it had the right look and that someone tried to handle it correctly, but I don't think it really hit the mark. Plus it would have been nice to see more Batman in a film called "Batman" ! That one could have been called "Joker".
In "Batman Returns" the look was even better, but the Catwoman character was the only one with more that one dimension, and Batman actually purposely blows a guy up - and SMILES !!! That's not the Batman I know...

The biggest difference between "Spider-Man" and ANY DC movie is the fact that you had a guy directing it who absolulely LOVED the character and was passionate about properly representing him. That's what Warner's needs to do... get people involved who really care about the characters- the right director and A GOOD SCRIPT !! I know that I probably say this TOO MUCH, but the folks who have given us these wonderful animated series should ABSOLUTELY be involved in some capacity for ANY future DC film, even if it's just the script- without a good script, you've got nothing. And if Frank Miller was actually writing the "Batman: Year One" script that would be cool, too. Even Tim Burton was quoted many times saying before the 1st Batfilm came out that a 6'4" perfect physical specimen wouldn't need to dress up as a bat and didn't really make sense to him !!

Terminatah

Badass Cyborg
Originally posted by Web Head
As for Burton, he's revered because he made the only good comic movie of the last 15 years or so until X-Men and Spiderman came out. He's come the closest to bringing the comic to life, but that doesn't mean someone else can't do better.
It's good that fans of the X-Men thought that was a good movie, but I thought it was a failure because it wasn't terribly engaging to anyone who wasn't previously familiar with the X-Men. So many characters with so many backplots, a lot of passive action, and awkward social commentary that went nowhere (thanks to massive cuts to the "talking parts"). I don't know, for such a flawed movie, it seems to me that the recommendation of an X-Men fan is about as trustworthy as some guy endorsing his home movies.

Originally posted by JusticeLeagueLegion
Anyway...I definitly think the guys at WB should look that Spidey movie over and think before they make the next Batman movie. (Or Superman) They can do it just as good if they don't keep putting it off.
If everyone tried to make good movies by copying already-successful ones, we'd quickly run out of good ideas.

Originally posted by Dogasu
Well, you have to remember that the creator of Spider-Man and the X-Men (Stan Lee) is still alive, while the creator of Batman (Bob Kane) and the creators of Superman (Schuster and Spiegel...I think...I can't believe I don't remember their names!) are all dead. So I think a director will try harder when they know that the person who created the characters will eventually see the movie. They'll be a lot less likely to make a bunch of "artistic licenses" that movie directors tend to make when the creator is right there on the set.
Bob Kane was alive during all four Batman movies. I don't think directors care what the creators will think when they see their movie, especially big shots who proudly admit they never studied the source material. I agree that the creator's involvement makes a difference in the final product, but it probably all hinges on the director and producers' willingness to listen.

Originally posted by jm5150bc
And if Frank Miller was actually writing the "Batman: Year One" script that would be cool, too.
He is. :cool:

-Terminatah

RorShaq

Did anyone else think that some of the special effects in Spider-man looked awful? A lot of the flying shots in the first Superman looked a lot better. I think this can be chalked up to CGI making filmmakers lazy in the visuals department

Ms. Kitty

Is BUSTED!!!
Terminatah

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jm5150bc
And if Frank Miller was actually writing the "Batman: Year One" script that would be cool, too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is. :cool:

Wooo! :D

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Somebody please give me a show that I won't ever regret watching.
Samurai Champloo, $5 on Apple TV. I know the series is 20 years old which is, like, 100 years in anime world, but definitely worth the buy!
I now genuinely want to see Steve Blum voice Kermit in something official. He is spot on.

Sparklefan1234 wrote on Classic Speedy's profile.
I just saw this on Reddit and instantly thought of you. ;)

Least favourite cartoon?

For me it's Poochini, I dislike the torment that Poochini goes through most of the time.

Featured Posts