Star Wars in animation

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I am more of a Star Trek guy than a Star Wars guy, but Star Wars has a longer history of being in animation than Star Trek. Star Wars is one of the most important Sci Fi franchises in history, creating a cultural phenomenon since 1977.

Star Wars is most known for its live action movies, but it has several forays into animation. From the animated section of the Holiday special to the tie-in cartoon from the 80s, to the Clone Wars mini series of the 2000s to the modern CGI animated series.

What is your favorite and least favorite animated Star Wars project? What do you want to see from Star Wars animation in the future?

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
This is probably a minority opinion, but I liked the Droids cartoon from the ‘80’s. I watched it on a random whim a couple of years ago and found it surprisingly charming for a Saturday morning cartoon.

Frontier

Staff member
I remember first watching the Gendy Tartakovsky micro-series cartoons and thinking this would be the most peak we would ever get out of Star Wars animation only for the Clone Wars to really grow into a stellar and engrossing series, Rebels to be really fun and heartfelt, Resistance to...exist, and Bad Batch bringing everything together :).

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
This is probably a minority opinion, but I liked the Droids cartoon from the ‘80’s. I watched it on a random whim a couple of years ago and found it surprisingly charming for a Saturday morning cartoon.
The droids cartoon has its moments, it gets good in the last arc and the TV movie. The villains in the last arc and the TV movie actually seem menacing and the stakes seemed higher in those episodes and that movie.

khuddle

I remember first watching the Gendy Tartakovsky micro-series cartoons and thinking this would be the most peak we would ever get out of Star Wars animation only for the Clone Wars to really grow into a stellar and engrossing series, Rebels to be really fun and heartfelt, Resistance to...exist, and Bad Batch bringing everything together :).

The Gendy Tartakovsky "Clone Wars" series is easily my favorite, one of the few Star Wars projects
since the OT that I consider canon. Ventress was actually super cool in this one.

Worst is probably Rebels. In particular that they finally killed off Maul, the coolest SW villain of all time. Palpatine gets to go on forever, Vader gets to go on forever, Boba Fett somehow survives centuries long digestion in the Sarlacc pit, so why not Maul?

Frontier

Staff member
The Gendy Tartakovsky "Clone Wars" series is easily my favorite, one of the few Star Wars projects
since the OT that I consider canon. Ventress was actually super cool in this one.

Worst is probably Rebels. In particular that they finally killed off Maul, the coolest SW villain of all time. Palpatine gets to go on forever, Vader gets to go on forever, Boba Fett somehow survives centuries long digestion in the Sarlacc pit, so why not Maul?
Well, I think some villains' stories you can only tell for so long, as fun as they are. I think Maul got the ending he deserved.

khuddle

Well, I think some villains' stories you can only tell for so long, as fun as they are. I think Maul got the ending he deserved.
Guaranteed 20 years from now, provided civilization (and Sam Witwer) are still around, they'll find some way to resurrect Maul. Again. And between that time they will resurrect Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. Pretty much how modern Star Wars works.

-batmat-

Tartakovsky's Clone Wars is easily the high point in Star Wars animation. A little over the top, but so enjoyable! Also less of a chore if you want to do a Star Wars movie marathon and you can just squeeze it in between Episodes II and III.

I haven't watched all of The Clone Wars, but I think Ahsoka was made into a very important character for her simply not being there, not even mentioned, in Episode III. And yes, I saw those final episodes that coincide with Ep III, and they're great, but I personally consider them more like fan fic.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts