Stargirl in Animation - A Retrospective

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
With Stargirl receiving her own live-action TV series today on DC Universe (and tomorrow on The CW!), I figured this would be a good time to look back on her previous animated appearances. I know there are reports of the character also possibly appearing on the upcoming Black Adam movie, and her debut on the big screens could probably have been a better reason to start such a thread, but it remains to be seen just when or if that movie will actually be produced. I also have to admit there's really not all that much to discuss about Stargirl's career in animation, as she only had a few appearances by this point, but I think there's still enough enough material here to cover for a decent sized retrospective.

While these new articles may not be as detailed or well-written as those in the past (due to various reasons, including but not limited to time constraints), I hope you all enjoy reading through this updated retrospective, and keep in mind these are just my opinions. Feel free to share your own thoughts, comments or even point out any possible errors in my write-ups below! Most of the images seen below appear courtesy of The World's Finest.

Considering Stargirl is a legacy character, I need to include a bit of DC Comics history here as a prologue of sorts. There have been at least seven characters to name themselves Starman in the comics, dating back to the original Ted Knight version, who debuted in 1941. Stargirl - real name: Courtney Whitmore - wasn't introduced until 1999, so you can imagine how much Starman-related lore there exists. Taking into account the fact that I am not overly familiar with any of them, I will only mention specific things about these previous characters, only when or if necessary.

I realize I am skipping over a lot of stuff, but the basic premise here is that Courtney is the teenage step-daughter of Pat Dugan (former side-kick to the Star-Spangled Kid a.k.a. Skyman), who first takes on the same "Star-Spangled Kid" moniker, before inheriting the Cosmic Staff from a previous Starman (Jack Knight, one of the sons of the original character). This Staff gives its wielder super powers, including but not limited to flight, levitation of objects and energy manipulation, among others. Pat Dugan also teams up with her, after constructing a giant, heavily armed suit of armor, known as S.T.R.I.P.E. Throughout her career, Courtney as Stargirl has mostly been associated with the Justice Society of America. Here she would form some sort of relationship with fellow member Captain Marvel (Shazam, that is, in case you're confused...). This relationship was kind of controversial and didn't really go anywhere either, considering Courtney was in fact more interested in the Captain's kid alter ego, Billy Batson. As Stargirl, she would also make enemies with the likes of Dragon King (and his daughter!) or Solomon Grundy. For the most part, she's always been a pretty fun and cheerful character which took part in several adventures since her introduction in the DC Universe. The comics starring her have usually been a lot more cheerful and adventurous than some of the darker comics released at the same time.

It should also be noted Courtney Whitmore was created by writer Geoff Johns and artist Lee Moder, with the former modelling the character after his late sister, as a tribute.

59.jpg

Stargirl made her animated debut in 2004, on Justice League Unlimited. I presume the show needs no introduction around these parts, but just to play it safe, it was the sequel to the previous Justice League animated series, set in the DC Animated Universe, as I imagine most everybody reading this already knows. The highlight for Unlimited was probably the Cadmus story-arc which was spread throughout most of it's run. I found the majority of stories presented here to be pretty awesome, and I think the show had some great depictions for most of the characters, or at least the major ones and the occasional guest-stars.

Courtney was one of the many new recruits aboard the Watchtower, and as such she can be seen in quite a few episodes, albeit only in the background. It should also be noted that Pat Dugan was also a new recruit, and the two were usually seen together but as mentioned before, mostly in minor scenes. As a result, I will comment on their more noticeable outings below, and not list every single one of their cameos. Another interesting thing to note is that the JLU also featured a Starman - an alien prince named Gavyn, who appeared even less than Courtney and never even spoke, but I figured it was a neat bit of trivia to include here. Giselle Loren provided Courtney's voice on the show, while Pat was apparently voiced by Phil LaMarr.

After making numerous cameos since the beginning of the show, and fighting alongside the other heroes against armies of cloned Ultimen aboard the Watchtower (long-story), Stargirl and S.T.R.I.P.E.'s first big episode occurred in the final season. "Chaos at the Earth's Core" is mostly a showcase for Supergirl, but Courtney gets some focus as well. In this story, the three aforementioned characters alongside Green Lantern John Stewart, arrive at the center of the Earth, where they encounter Warlord Travis Morgan, a lesser known character from the comics. The episode is pretty decent but it gets a little tedious by the end. Still I liked the setting and the more "sword and sorcery" approach used here. I never even heard of Warlord prior to this episode so it was pretty cool seeing the creative team use a more obscure character and add him and his world to the ever-growing DCAU.

It turns out that Warlord and his people are at war with an evil wizard who's being advised by Metallo and Silver Banshee. To make things worse, Kara is being affected by the so-called Great Stone, which is in reality a giant piece of Kryptonite and is revealed to have some healing abilities as well, at least for Warlord's people. As far as Stargirl is concerned, she gets to partake in some decent action scenes as well, and kind of enjoys having to step in and save the powerless Supergirl. There's also a neat sub-plot about Courtney being jealous of Kara, which is tied-up nicely by the end with the two heroines becoming friends. Mostly complaining how their adoptive or step-parents wouldn't let them have their ways and all the restrictions they set for them, was one of the foundations for the friendship. The show - or any other animated project for that matter - never really brought up this pairing again, as opposed to say Supergirl and Batgirl, who similarly formed a bond earlier in the DCAU and have been teammates in various other adventures since then.

Stargirl's last major role on the show was in the episode titled "Patriot Act", where she alongside S.T.R.I.P.E. and other, less powerful members of the League are attacked by General Eiling, now mutated into a brutish monster. The General wishes to prove how dangerous the heroes are and that he's the true patriot there. Logically, he sets out to beat them up, destroying part of the city in the process resulting in some collateral victims as well. The heroes manage to stand up to him for most of the episode, but I think it was really Shining Knight's turn to shine in this episode. That's not to say the others didn't put up a good enough fight - Courtney and Pat also have some pretty cool scenes, but nothing really stood out to me. The episode is still kind of fun overall and works as a decent enough epilogue of sorts to the Cadmus arc from the previous season. It should also be noted that the heroes featured in this episode are an homage to the team from the comics known as the Seven Soldiers of Victory.

23.jpg

As mentioned before, Courtney and Pat had numerous other minor scenes, such as helping various other members of the League in their fights against nanotech aliens, Amazo or Darkseid's forces in the series finale. But I think I covered their most notable appearances. Looking back, this was a decent portrayal for the characters, but they never really left that big of an impression on me. They were entertaining enough and were used effectively, though not too often. But given the large number of characters featured on the show that is understandable.

Stargirl next had a brief appearance on Batman: The Brave and the Bold - an animated series starring Batman (obviously!), based on the comic book series The Brave and the Bold. Produced by James Tucker and Michael Jelenic, this was basically a team-up show, with Batman appearing in every episode alongside various other characters from the DC Universe. It premiered in fall 2008 on the Cartoon Network, and lasted for 65 episodes (and it also received a direct-to-video movie in 2018, in a pretty surprising turn of events... even more so when you realize the movie is a cross-over with Scooby-Doo!). Mostly depicting adventures either adapted or inspired by some of the weirdest comic book stories from the Silver Age of comics, The Brave and the Bold still managed to be a pretty awesome show overall, though the quality of the episodes varies from time to time. I initially didn't really care for the show but I got to admit it did grow on me along the way and all in all I find it very enjoyable. I think it's pretty amazing how many characters they managed to feature throughout the show's run, and pretty much every character that showed up proved to be very entertaining. It was also my introduction to many of the more obscure characters of the DC Universe, some of which I never even heard of before.

The show's format included teasers - short scenes that are shown before the opening credits - which were most of the time completely unrelated to the main plot of the episode. This helped bring in even more characters to this universe. Interestingly enough, Stargirl only ever appeared in such a teaser scene, the one for the episode titled "Cry Freedom Fighters!", which premiered in 2010. Her voice was provided by Hope Levy. Unrelated to the main story, the teaser for the episode saw Courtney in the middle of her fight with one of Darkseid's minions, Mantis. Realizing she might need some help in defeating her opponent, she uses her Cosmic Staff to create a Bat-signal in the sky, hoping the Dark Knight would see it. As luck would have it, Batman was busy at the time so Blue Beetle - the Jaime Reyes version that is - comes to the rescue instead.

K4eaPpB.png

Courtney is somewhat disappointed in teaming up with a "knock-off version of the Blue Beetle" as she calls him, alluding to the fact he's a re-imagined version of a previously established hero. It's also a fun bit of meta-commentary on the whole situation, when you consider Courtney herself is such a character herself. It's a quick, harmless gag that fits so well with the tone and style of the show. The two manage to take down Mantis after tricking him into absorbing energy from both of them, thus over-loading him and knocking him unconscious. Courtney takes the villain away, while Jaime discusses with Batman how she's still a rookie but they can teach her the ropes. It's interesting seeing Jaime in such a position, since he's been pretty much a regular supporting character on the show, and was a rookie himself who was taught by Batman in his first few appearances. As far as Stargirl is concerned though, this was her only appearance on the show, for whatever reasons. I don't believe she ever had any other cameos, either. It might have been fun seeing her return occasionally, considering how well even this short scene worked out.

Next: Stargirl in Action!

Frontier

Staff member
It's interesting looking back on Courtney's initial animated depictions and how they drew more from her early career as this more bratty, teenage, Superheroine rather then the more mature, emotionally-centered, girl when she was on the JSA. Maybe less so Brave and the Bold but definitely present in JLU, although JLU is also one of the few times she's been depicted with Pat/STRIPE so maybe that played a part.

Not to say she wasn't memorable in doing so, but she may not have come off as likeable :sweat:.

That being said, I think they were still fun appearances and Stargirl looked great in animation, and her VA's captured her youthfullness and spunkiness quite well :).

Last edited:

#TeamMike

It's interesting looking back on Courtney's initial animated depictions and how they drew more from her early career as this more bratty, teenage, Superheroine rather then the more mature, emotionally-centered, girl when she was on the JSA. Maybe less so Brave and the Bold but definitely present in JLU, although JLU is also one of the few times she's been depicted with Pat/STRIPE so maybe that played a part.

Not to say she wasn't memorable in doing so, but she may not have come off as likeable :sweat:.

That being said, I think they were still fun appearances and Stargirl looked great in animation, and her VA's captured her youthfullness and spunkiness quite well :).

Hey, if Geoff Johns liked the JLU depiction (which he did, per Matt Wayne), they must have done something right.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Justice League Action premiered in December 2016 on Cartoon Network, featuring a rotating cast of characters, no matter how well known or obscure the characters might be. The same can be said about the villains, since this show managed to squeeze in a few rarely used rogues in some pretty creative ways. The show offers us 15 minutes long episodes, most of the time stand-alone stories with little to no continuity. It still manages to deliver a lot of stuff in this limited amount of time, from great action scenes (as the show's title would suggest) to great character interactions. I will admit it skews a little more on the comedy side of things, but it is not as bad as you might think after just looking at the character designs. The designs are simplified, but still have a certain charm and I think they look great in motion. And the comedy works just about every time, as opposed to other shows which will remain nameless, that try to handle all these same aspects and sometimes fail to do so.

After airing only on early Saturday mornings, with no re-runs anywhere in the schedule and taking only a handful of weeks off, the show officially aired its last episode in June 2018. The series wasn't really treated that well by the network, but I won't rant too much about that here. I was surprised to see the show still managed to get a good rating audience-wise in this time-slot, which was a pretty good sign. But as time went on, the show was kind of forgotten thanks in part to the episodes being released earlier than their intended TV premieres on the Cartoon Network App or other legal streaming services. Ultimately, the show was not renewed for a second season - at least as of the time of this writing, but I think the only real chance it has of getting revived would be for an online streaming service, like Young Justice was brought back.

0HIbMSL.png

Here, Stargirl was voiced by Natalie Lander. She appeared multiple times during the show's run, starting with the episode titled "Field Trip". In this story, Stargirl, alongside Blue Beetle (again, Jaime Reyes) and Firestorm (the Ronnie Raymond version) are on a field trip to Superman's Fortress of Solitude, where they accidentally trap the Man of Steel inside the Phantom Zone, while also freeing General Zod and two of his minions in the process. As such, the three rather inexperienced heroes spend the rest of the episode trying to survive and stop their opponents. Courtney uses her skills and abilities effectively but Firestorm is the one who saves the day, by creating enough Kryptonite to defeat the villains. In other words, he uses his "nuclear magic", as Courtney calls it. The story has a pretty fun premise, and the action scenes are entertaining enough, but I think the best parts of the episode are seeing how the three young heroes interact with each other. It's humorous without any of it feeling forced, either.

Next up we have "Mxy's Mix-Up", where Stargirl is on a mission alongside her two mentors, Batman and Superman. Their mission originally was to stop Gorilla Grodd and his army of apes, but things get even weirder once Mister Mxyzptlk pops up. He uses his powers to switch the brains and personalities of the three heroes, with some pretty hilarious results. As such, Courtney ends up in Superman's body, confused about all of her new found powers she can't control, and Batman ends up in Courtney's body (and I realize how weird that sounds). But he manages to keep fighting given he usually relies on skills and weapons, and not actual super-powers. And to make things even more amusing, he now has the volatile emotions of a teenage girl.

Courtney is the one who actually comes up with the plan to stop Mxy - by requesting back-up, and Firestorm in particular. The heroes that come to their aid are subjected to the same shenanigans by Mxy, with them switching bodies and personalities resulting in more quick gags. But given Firestorm actually contained two personalities, both Ronnie and Professor Stein, the latter was transferred into Mxy's own head. As such, Stein acted as sort of a psychiatrist and managed to stop the imp. It was both funny and kind of educational. With things back to normal, Batgirl congratulates Courtney for her clever plan to bring Firestorm into the battle, but as expected, she didn't exactly have that outcome in mind when she suggested him. She only wanted to meet him, hinting at some sort of romantic interest which would be touched upon a bit more in a later appearance.

I also liked the concept of both Batman and Superman trying to teach Stargirl in the ways of being a super-hero, each one with his own kind of approach. There are also a few gags in regards to Courtney studying the files for the other members of the League, and their villains - she stopped reading once she reached Mister Mxyzptlk's file, thinking it must have been a typo. Overall, this was a fun episode and I think it works better as an introduction for Stargirl than her previous episode. The show rarely if ever really touched on the character's origin stories. It should also be noted there was probably a mix-up in real life as well, and this episode was initially intended to air before "Field Trip", considering this was basically Stargirl's first official mission and her first meeting with Firestorm.

oicQFp2.png

In "Supernatural Adventures in Babysitting", Stargirl helps Batman on a mission before leaving early to get to a babysitting job as Courtney. Her job was to babysit a boy named Timmy, whose father was a collector of antiquities. To make the job harder, Klarion the Witch Boy infiltrates the house looking for an ancient book of powerful spells. He takes on the form of Billy and distracts Courtney while his pet Teekl looks for the book. When Courtney realizes what she's up against, she calls Batman for help, who also brings John Constantine along. After a few short but entertaining action scenes, the heroes manage to stop Klarion and clean the mess they made during the fight. There are a bunch of neat bits in the episode, and as before I found the character interactions fun. This was also pretty much the only episode to really focus on Stargirl, and it turned out fine, all things considered. It was also nice seeing more of Courtney, as the show rarely focused on the daily lives or real identities of its characters.

Stargirl also appears in "Harley Goes Ape!", where she aids Superman in confronting Titano, the giant ape with Kryptonite vision, who was under Grodd's control. As the title suggests, Harley Quinn also shows up - she takes advantage of the attack on the city to rob a museum. Stargirl fights her for a while in a pretty amusing scene, until Harley realizes she actually knows Titano. In a surprising turn of events, it's revealed Harley used to take care of the chimp years earlier at S.T.A.R. Labs, before it was sent into space. This connection helps calm Titano - well, after Grodd is defeated and Courtney has to sing the same silly song Harley came up with for Titano. All in all, this was another fun adventure and a pretty nice spotlight on Harley, more so than Courtney herself. But the latter still got a few chances to shine here as well.

Justice League Action was also accompanied by a line of animated shorts, which were released online and should all still be available on certain official services, including the DC Kids YouTube channel, as of the time of this writing. Stargirl also showed up in a few of these shorts, most notably "Chemistry", where she gets to spend more time with Firestorm while on a stake-out mission. Ronnie tries impressing her with some of the terms Professor Stein tried teaching him, but fails in some pretty amusing ways. Still, their love of being super-heroes seems to be enough and Courtney does kiss him on the cheek, after defeating a bunch of H.I.V.E. goons. In another short, titled "Drivers Ed", Space Cabbie is giving Stargirl a space driving lesson, but they end up having to fight Red Lantern Zillius Zox.

Courtney also had cameos in a few other episodes of the regular series, such as "Party Animals" or "The Ringer" (well, she was actually one of Atom's hallucinations in that one), but I think I covered her most notable appearances on the show. She was a fun character and her portrayal provided some amusing scenes. The show as a whole had a more comedic tone, and I think Stargirl fit in well alongside the other characters. Her design was also cool - I don't really think there's much one could do to make her outfit that different across various projects, but she looked pretty cute here and again, fit in well enough with the rest of the heroes and villains that appeared on the show. And I feel like this is Stargirl's best portrayal, as far as animation goes. That's not to say I didn't enjoy her roles on Justice League Unlimited or Batman: The Brave and the Bold, but those series never really developed the character or used her that much. While JLA didn't exactly use her as much as some of the other characters either, there's just something about her portrayal here that makes her stand out. Giving her characters other than Pat Dugan to interact with might have something to do with it. Just about everything about this version seemed to work, from her design to her voice and anything else in-between. I am not sure if Geoff Johns ever really expressed his thoughts in regards to Stargirl's portrayal here, but I personally enjoyed it a lot.

oGpDuap.png

And to wrap things up, I will also give a quick shout-out to Young Justice. I don't think the show really needs any kind of introduction at this point, as I presume most people reading this know what it's about, and how it managed to return with new episodes years after its cancellation. And even more episodes are currently in the works, as it has been renewed once again thanks to the DC Universe streaming service. Courtney Whitmore appears in season 3, sub-titled Outsiders, which premiered in 2019. Here Courtney is the host of a talk-show aptly titled "Stargirl". Her voice was provided by Whitney Moore, the host of various DC Universe segments, somewhat similar to the character she's portraying here. Then there's of course the fact they both have somewhat similar names, which I imagine was one of the reasons behind this bit of stunt-casting. This version of Courtney doesn't really seem to have much in common with her comic book roots, and I doubt she would ever actually take on the Stargirl mantle in future seasons. But, I still figured this needed a mention in this retrospective, for posterity.

And there you have it - a pretty much complete, even if I do say so myself, look back on Stargirl's most notable animated appearances from the past 16 tears or so. The character doesn't have the best track record in this regard (come to think of it, none of the other Starmen from the comics have better coverage either), but as I said before, her appearances have been pretty entertaining and I wouldn't mind seeing more of her. I am a bit surprised she never showed up on the DC Super Hero Girls series, though the current version of the franchise might feature her eventually, seeing as it hasn't finished airing yet. Granted she's not a big name as some of the other super-heroines the show focuses on, but I think she could work well, if only for a guest-star role as opposed to becoming a recurring character.

On a semi-related note, I also find it a bit weird no other show tried bringing back S.T.R.I.P.E. Though an alternate version of Pat did show up a couple of times throughout the Justice League: Gods and Monsters animated movie from 2015, but that didn't end so well for him. Honestly, I can't say I missed him that much in other cartoons, as Courtney was fine on her own and I presume we haven't seen the last of her, either. It remains to be seen when or where she will show up next, but I imagine it depends on how successful her live-action series will be (personally, I have a good feeling about it). Its success might also lead to S.T.R.I.P.E. being animated as well.

This thread will hopefully be updated occasionally to cover more of Stargirl's animated appearances, as they happen. I hope you all enjoyed reading through this, and remember feedback is always welcome.

Frontier

Staff member
I loved Stargirl in JLA, almost as much as I love JLA in general (I really wish they'd bring it back) :D.

She just had this great mix of adorableness, spunkiness, resourcefulness, and endearing youthfullness all wrapped up in a really cute design. I loved how she came off as this believable but courageous teenager just coming into her own as a Superhero and Natalie Lander did a terrific job making Courtney come off as both relatable, likeable, and steadfast as a hero :anime:.

And while it was only really focused on for, like, five minutes in it's entirety...I was totally down for a possible relationship between her and Firestorm ;).

Courtney on YJ...I mean, nothing against the DC Daily person, but it felt like a huge waste of her character and of the potential for JSA legacies on the show. Using her name for a stunt-casting that has absolutely nothing to do with the character just rubbed me the wrong way :(.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts