"The Amazing Digital Circus" News & Discussion

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
I finally saw this today as it's seemingly taken the Internet by storm - someone said it had double the views that Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss had in a week, and it's in fact up to 23 million views in 9 days.

What can I say? It's pretty alright. The thing that immediately jumped out to me is that this is the exact plot of Black Mirror's "USS Callister", except it's the circus instead of Star Trek. This universe, however, seems to have a lot more underneath the hood - perhaps because it's not intended to fit into a single episode like "USS Callister" was. In particular with abstraction - a character who is beginning to abstract can be rescued, it seems, but a character who's too far gone will simply be cast out.

But how was one of them able to get that state in the first place? Compared to "USS Callister", in which the one behind the universe had control over every single aspect of it and could put individual members through hell to get them to comply, it seems that Caine doesn't have control over everything. Is there someone who does?

So far more episodes haven't been confirmed, though I would think the massive view count would be encouraging. There is some merchandise linked on the video with the intent of helping fund a full season, but I don't know if I like it that much. The poster is kinda cool.

This seems like one of those things that kids are gonna be into for a while, like Five Nights at Freddy's or Friday Night Funkin', and I at least understand this one.

Marble

Worms and plastic minnows!
Would "emotional whiplash" be the right term to describe the ending of episode 2? I just stopped breathing and sat there stunned.

Shiloh Otter

Anxiety in the house
Would "emotional whiplash" be the right term to describe the ending of episode 2? I just stopped breathing and sat there stunned.
My sentiments exactly.
Seriously, what the heck, Caine?

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
So I guess every episode of The Amazing Digital Circus is going to involve existential questions, mind trips, near psychotic breaks, dark cartoon humor and plays on typical cartoon humor, heartwarming moments, and heartbreak.

I feel like something is going to happen to Ragatha because she tries so hard to be positive and kind and this doesn't feel like a show that rewards it so much, especially when she's the closest thing Pomni has to a friend right now.

I'm curious if everyone who got ported into the virtual world had similar emotional issues that Pomni did before she was grabbed.

Jax is liable to get one of them killed and not care at all at this rate.

I feel like Kinger is going to periodically get lucid and more insightful the more the show goes along.

Kaufmo's funeral was a surprisingly sincere and tender moment to end on, with the added benefit of providing a light for Pomni.

DeanBurrito25

As much as I loved the pilot, I worried that the next episode of TADC would fall into the rut of being even more cynical/edgy for a lack of better terms – but this second episode proved that it's just as capable of pathos and tender moments, especially ending on the note that it did. I'm glad to be wrong.

I had binged all of Murder Drones up to the penultimate episode and then this drops. What an exciting time to be subscribed to Glitch.

Marble

Worms and plastic minnows!
Especially relevant to the current discourse around video games, in terms of preservation and ownership. Digital content is ephemeral and those at the top can take it away from you at any time, regardless of how invested both financially and emotionally you are.
In that context, Caine is basically the personification of Ubisoft.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Well, since nobody's shared it yet...

That fudge monster gave me flashbacks to that Raggedy Ann & Andy movie.

I was worried it was going to have a comically cynical ending when Caine made Gummigoo disappear, but then they held Kaufmo's funeral. Good to know this show CAN give us a somber yet nice moment.

Ace

Ace
I kind of liked how they set up the whole thing. At the beginning Caine mentions using immersive AI.

The truck chase sequence and Pomni's conversation with Gummigo were some of the best parts. Of course, the visuals still kick butt for a YouTube cartoon.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I gotta say, I really like Amazing Digital Circus. It's such a charming show. Its second episode was so cool.

Seeing Digital Circus rising in popularity does give hope that original animation will continue to thrive. I understand that indie animation is not the answer to the broken state of the industry, but I do know it's going to light the fire under the collective asses of studio executives who favor IPs over original ideas.

Hopefully, Digital Circus will continue to grew, and shown to the execs that original ideas may be risky, but it's definitely worth pursuing.

Shiloh Otter

Anxiety in the house
So how often are they going to be releasing new episodes?
From what Glitch has done with other shows, probably not very often. It keeps fans waiting and hyped, plus Gooseworx has only 10 episodes planned anyway, so putting them all out fast would not be smart.

Also, with Glitch being a small studio, it does take time for them to complete episodes.

EDIT: I found out that there are actually 10 episodes planned, not 8. I just now got around to fixing my mistake.

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

Finally went to check this out after hearing about it so much and I love it. Pomni is definitely my favorite character, but I like Ragatha and Caine too. I love the comedy, especially the parts between Caine and Bubble.
Caine: Why are you like this?
Caine: YOU PARASITE!
I like when Pomni's teeth get sharp when she gets mad. I also like how they censor the swearing.
The Pilot ends with poor Pomni going mad, so it was heartwarming to see the second episode end hopeful with her seeing potential friends to keep her sane. I hope the show keeps a balance of that so as not become too cruel.

I have a theory that everyone trapped are brain scans like in this horror game called SOMA. And when they were scanned, not everything was copied like memories of their names.

From what Glitch has done with other shows, probably not very often. It keeps fans waiting and hyped, plus Gooseworx has only 10 episodes planned anyway, so putting them all out fast would not be smart.
10 episodes for the whole series or 10 episodes for a season?

Frontier

Staff member
Finally went to check this out after hearing about it so much and I love it. Pomni is definitely my favorite character, but I like Ragatha and Caine too. I love the comedy, especially the parts between Caine and Bubble.
Caine: Why are you like this?
Caine: YOU PARASITE!
I like when Pomni's teeth get sharp when she gets mad. I also like how they censor the swearing.
The Pilot ends with poor Pomni going mad, so it was heartwarming to see the second episode end hopeful with her seeing potential friends to keep her sane. I hope the show keeps a balance of that so as not become too cruel.

I have a theory that everyone trapped are brain scans like in this horror game called SOMA. And when they were scanned, not everything was copied like memories of their names.

10 episodes for the whole series or 10 episodes for a season?
I am kind of curious how many of their memories they still have left because they seem consciously aware that they're people ported into some virtual world (especially Pomni) and also some semblance of their past life (again, Pomni) even if they can't remember specifics.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts