The Anime Conventions Thread

animeadept

Hey everyone!

Is anyone else heading to Anime Midwest this year? I’m super excited because this will be my first time attending, and I'd love to connect with others who are going! I've been a huge anime fan for years, with some of my all-time favorites being Cardcaptor Sakura, Fullmetal Alchemist and Code Geass.

I'm looking forward to meeting fellow fans, checking out the artist alley, and attending some of the panels. I'm particularly interested in the cosplay contest. I'm not sure if I'm going to dress up but I can't wait to see what everyone else has put together.

Also, does anyone have tips for first-time convention-goers? I'm trying to plan my schedule and make the most of the weekend. Any recommendations on must-see events or things to avoid? I've heard mixed reviews about the food options, so I'm considering packing some snacks just in case. Looking forward to your advice!

animeadept

What are some of your most memorable experiences at anime conventions, both good and bad? I'd love to hear your stories! :anime: Which cons have you attended? Are there any situations you wish you had handled differently or things you would have done differently?

I'm heading to Anime Midwest this year and am excited to hear your insights!

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
My experience is more with cons further south like A-Kon. Saving up money is always important and budgeting is also key. leaving the con center to go eat is often a good way to save on budget. Stay hydrated as even Chicago can get hot, even if not as hot as Texas. Bringing an antiperspirant is useful as the heat will make you sweaty. Remembering etiquette is also important, always ask before taking a picture with a cosplayer or guest and especially get consent for any physical contact. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to panels, so go to the ones that interest you. I'm heavily involved in the south central con scene and the con family is my family. Make friends and bond.

animeadept

My experience is more with cons further south like A-Kon. Saving up money is always important and budgeting is also key. leaving the con center to go eat is often a good way to save on budget. Stay hydrated as even Chicago can get hot, even if not as hot as Texas. Bringing an antiperspirant is useful as the heat will make you sweaty. Remembering etiquette is also important, always ask before taking a picture with a cosplayer or guest and especially get consent for any physical contact. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to panels, so go to the ones that interest you. I'm heavily involved in the south central con scene and the con family is my family. Make friends and bond.
Thank you so much for these tips! I'll definitely add everything to my list. Staying hydrated and budgeting are great reminders, and I'll make sure to be mindful of etiquette when interacting with cosplayers and guests. It’s awesome to hear about the sense of community in the con scene—I’m really looking forward to making new friends and bonding with fellow fans. Do you have any specific panel recommendations or must-see events from your own experiences? Thanks again for the advice!

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Do you have any specific panel recommendations or must-see events from your own experiences?
Voice actor panels are always the big ticket as that is something you can't really do outside the con. Any trivia games are always big to me as I kick butt and take prizes. Other fun and games panels can also be fun. I remember a Fairy Tail truth or panel I attended over a decade ago that was a memorable moment in my life. (note on truth or dare panels, panelists can always decline anything they feel uncomfortable with and there are common sense things not to dare panelists to do). An audience member dared the cosplayers to hug anyone in the audience who consents to one and they were comfortable doing so. I got a hug from Lucy Heartfilia out of that, a big deal for a Fairy Tail fanboy like me at that time. Educational panels can be hit or miss as many of the things discussed at the panels can be learned by Googling and sometimes panelists have research and factual errors. Again, it's all up to taste, but those are my experiences with cons.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
What are some of your most memorable experiences at anime conventions, both good and bad? I'd love to hear your stories! :anime: Which cons have you attended? Are there any situations you wish you had handled differently or things you would have done differently?

My most memorable experiences, both good and bad involved interactions with fellow attendees. Really, the love I felt from the congoing community probably saved me from suicide. It always warmed my heart when a fan of a character I cosplay asks for a picture or a hug. The bad is when there's people who don't honor your boundaries. It is a good thing you came into the con scene in the post Yaoi Paddle era (an acquaintance of mine who I've worked with created this video):

As I said before, I've gone to mainly south central cons like A-Kon and Tokyo in Tulsa. Cultures probably a lot different up north.

animeadept

Voice actor panels are always the big ticket as that is something you can't really do outside the con. Any trivia games are always big to me as I kick butt and take prizes. Other fun and games panels can also be fun. I remember a Fairy Tail truth or panel I attended over a decade ago that was a memorable moment in my life. (note on truth or dare panels, panelists can always decline anything they feel uncomfortable with and there are common sense things not to dare panelists to do). An audience member dared the cosplayers to hug anyone in the audience who consents to one and they were comfortable doing so. I got a hug from Lucy Heartfilia out of that, a big deal for a Fairy Tail fanboy like me at that time. Educational panels can be hit or miss as many of the things discussed at the panels can be learned by Googling and sometimes panelists have research and factual errors. Again, it's all up to taste, but those are my experiences with cons.
Thank you so much for the fantastic suggestions! Voice actor panels sound amazing—definitely something you can't experience outside the con. Trivia games and fun panels like the Fairy Tail truth or dare one you mentioned sound like a blast, too. That hug from Lucy Heartfilia must have been such a special moment!! I'll keep your advice in mind and make sure to check out a mix of panels to see what I enjoy most. Thanks again for sharing your experiences! I hope Anime Midwest would be so much fun like the cons you've attended to!

harry580

well, I went to 2 anime conventions, one in somerest county back in 2015 & one in ballys atlantic city back in 2023

animeadept

My most memorable experiences, both good and bad involved interactions with fellow attendees. Really, the love I felt from the congoing community probably saved me from suicide. It always warmed my heart when a fan of a character I cosplay asks for a picture or a hug. The bad is when there's people who don't honor your boundaries. It is a good thing you came into the con scene in the post Yaoi Paddle era (an acquaintance of mine who I've worked with created this video):

As I said before, I've gone to mainly south central cons like A-Kon and Tokyo in Tulsa. Cultures probably a lot different up north.
It's heartwarming to hear how the con community has had such a positive impact on your life. I can imagine how amazing it must feel when someone recognizes your cosplay and asks for a picture or hug. On the flip side, I understand the frustration with people not respecting boundaries. Oooh, I didn't know about the Yaoi Paddle until you mentioned it! It's interesting how con culture evolves over time, I wonder what it would be like at anime midwest but I'm hoping for the best.

animeadept

well, I went to 2 anime conventions, one in somerest county back in 2015 & one in ballys atlantic city back in 2023
It sounds like you've had the chance to attend some interesting events over the years. What were some of the highlights from the conventions in Somerset County and Bally's Atlantic City? Any memorable moments or favorite panels? Also, are you planning to attend Anime Midwest this year? It'd be great to hear your insights and maybe even see you there! ٩(^ᗜ^ )و ´-

Chris Wood

Desslar
Haven't been to an anime convention for a long time, but I'm curious - are there typically dealers that have good selections of out of print and imported anime DVDs/Blu rays?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Haven't been to an anime convention for a long time, but I'm curious - are there typically dealers that have good selections of out of print and imported anime DVDs/Blu rays?

Prior to 2020. I got a Mystery of Mamo DVD in 2019. Vendors seem to focus on Funko Pops now. Eventually DVD will be the new vinyl and nostalgia will get them sold at cons.

animeadept

With Anime Midwest 2024 just around the corner, I wanted to start a thread to see who else is planning to attend this year! Whether you're a seasoned convention-goer or it's your first time, let's connect and share our excitement for this upcoming event.

I'm particularly excited about:
- Checking out the amazing cosplay outfits
- Attending panels with some of my favorite voice actors and creators
- Hunting for exclusive merch in the dealer's room
- Meeting fellow anime fans and making new friends

So, who’s planning to go? What are you most excited about? Are you cosplaying, and if so, what characters? I'm planning to wear Sailor Mars casual outfit and Tomoyo Daidouji's yellow outfit the next day.

Looking forward to hearing from you all and seeing you at Anime Midwest 2024!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts